029

Neverland

"Christmas is coming! What do you plan to do?" Jessica asked her sister cheerfully.

 

"I have nothing in my mind." Krystal said nonchantly as she flipped her magazine.

 

"How about a party?" Jessica suggested in excitement.

 

"Party in the hospital? Woah."

 

"Aniya, it will be at home! Yah! Don't you miss home?" Jessica settled herself down beside Krystal.

 

"Home... Of course I do, but do I look like I have a choice?" Krystal turned her head towards her sister.

 

"Of course you have a choice silly! I will tell the doctor that you are going back home!" With that Jessica jumped up from the bed and sprinted towards the doctor's office.

 

"Dying at home is better than dying in here..." Krystal muttered under her breath.


 

"Welcome home miss!" The maid bowed ninety degrees.

 

"Ah the smell of home is great isn't it?" Jessica asked.

 

"Yes it is, I'll head back to my room first, see you around."

 

"Be sure to come down for dinner!" Jessica shouted as Krystal had already ascended up the stairs.

 

Krystal stepped foot into her room, and took a deep breath. "This is how it should smell like." She exclaimed and plopped herself down on her bed.


 

"Hello?"

"Noona! I hear you've brought Krystal home!"

"Trust me, she would rather be home than to be in the hospital."

"Oh. Anyway what's up? Sorry I was kind of busy earlier on."

"Christmas is coming and I've thought about having a party."

"Sounds great! I'm in!"

"That's not the main point. I want you to get Kai here."

"Er... I guess it would be kind of difficult, noona..."

"No excuses son. I don't care what you do, just bring him here during Christmas."

 

And even before Hyungsik could reply her, Jessica had already hung up.


 

"I'm home!" Dr Kim sing-songed as she entered the Kim household.

 

"I'm hoooooommmmeee!" She announced again. Normally when she returns home, Kai would peek his head out from his room to greet her, but right now, the house was awfully quiet.

 

Curious, she made her way up to his room. Carefully, she opened his door and peeked in. To her dismay, her brother crying with his knees hugged tightly, close to his chest at one corner.

 

"Jong In!" She blurted out. "What happened?" She knelt down, hugged her little brother close to her.

 

She continued to comfort him, and pat his back to make him feel better, but Kai's tears just seems to be endless. "Tell me. What happened? Krystal?" She pulled her little brother away, trying to get answers from him.

 

Kai tried to calm himself down, but as he tried to speak, his lip quivered and a sob threatened to choke off his voice once again. Knowing that if he tried explaining to his sister he would cry again, he just lifted his finger and pointed towards the red velvet diary that is just a few feet away from him.

 

His sister looked at where he had just pointed, stood up and walk towards it to pick it up. "Krystal's diary?" She read it off from the cover. "How did you have this?" She questioned Kai. Looking at how her brother is staring into space, and will not answer her any moment soon, she flipped open the diary and started reading. "First entry..." She trailed off and began reading, after finishing she decided to skip some pages since the first few entries were just how Krystal's day went.

 

"13th August 2012. The day she had her first treatment..." Wanting to know how her patient felt for her first treatment, she continued reading. As though she was reading a story book, she got more and more intrigued, she flipped pages after pages and soon she was done with the whole diary.

 

"Kai... I think I need to tell you something. You ought to know this, after all these things that had happened." She looked at her brother then back at the diary. She paused for a moment before continuing, "Krystal. She most probably won't be able get past New Year..."


 

"5 more days till Christmas!" Jessica shouted into Krystal's ear, only causing Krystal to pull her covers over her head.

 

"Urgh, Krystal Jung wake up already! It's noon! We need to go out and get ready for christmas!" Jessica continued to irritate Krystal by snatching her covers away.

 

"Unnie!" Krystal called out in frustration.

 

"Great. I'll be expecting to see you in fifteen minutes time!"


 

"Unnie, when are we reaching? I'm famished!" Krystal whined.

 

"We are reaching already, stop whining."

 

"Unnie! How about getting some ddeokbokki?" Krystal turned to her sister with pleading eyes.

 

"You mean that ahjumma who sells ddeokbokki by sticks?" Jessica look at her sister as the the car comes to a stop.

 

Krystal nodded her head in delight. "Alright! It's been long since I've last had that. Let's go Krystal-yah!" Jessica hit the accelerator hard and drove off in high speed.


 

"This ddeokbokki is sure still as good as before! Can't wait for the next time when I'm back here for it again." Krystal cried out as she indulged herself in the stick of ddeokbokki she has gotten.

 

Hearing Krystal, Jessica could only process her words slowly and look at her sister with pitied eyes. "Krystal-yah, please make sure you stay healthy enough till our next trip here." Jessica thought to herself.

 

"Unnie. Unnie? Unnie!" Krystal snapped Jessica out of her thoughts. "Where are we going next?"

 

"To the mall of course! We need to get ready for our christmas party!" Jessica cheered, and cause Krystal to cheer along with her too.

 

"Unnie, if I can't make it back here again for another stick of ddeokbokki, will you come on my behalf?"


 

"Darn it, why isn't he picking up?" Hyungsik cussed. Despite trying his very best to convince Kai to the Jung's christmas party, Kai just doesn't seem to notice it and make things more difficult for him by not answering his phone. "Seems like I have to pay someone a visit. Argh." Hyungsik stood up reluctantly from his couch and grabbed his car keys.

 

"BRAT OPEN THE DOOR. Huh what?" Hyungsik banged on the Kim's door and the door opened widely. "What? Is there a burglar? Is that why he isn't answering my calls?" Hyungsik thought as he stepped into the Kim's house carefully. Hyungsik perked up his ears and tried to stay focused, the house was awfully quiet hence he decided to grab something near him as he began ascending to Kai's room.

 

"Kai?" Hyungsik carefully called out on his way to his room. "Kai?" Hyungsik called out again once he is right in front of his room. Slowly, he lifted his fist and knocked on the door. Having no response from the opposite side, he took it as a cue to enter.

 

Upon entering, all he saw was a messy room, as though a tornado had just swept past. Seeing this, he got more tensed and grab the umbrella he took tighter. "Did they take Kai along with him?" Hyungsik kept on thinking about the possibilities, until he closed the door and saw how Kai was sitting perfectly fine in front of his study desk which was blocked by the door earlier on from where he was standing.

 

"Yah! You scared me!" Hyungsik went up to him and nudged him.

 

"Hyung, I'm trying to concentrate here. Please. Leave me alone for now. I'll be done soon." Kai spoke as he continued to fix Krystal's musical box.

 

"Bwo? Yah. Yah. Yah. I didn't come here to get all this shock and a cold shoulder from you!" Hyungsik complained, still not over with whatever happened earlier on.

 

"Hyung. Please. I'll explain everything later." Then he continued to piece all the broken pieces back together.


 

"So yeah... The door was probably left ajar because I was in a rush to get in just now. You know you can't stop it when nature calls." Kai explained about the door.

 

"Then what about your room?"

 

"Oh. Long story but it doesn't matter. What can I help you with hyung?" Kai looked at him as he sipped his can of juice.

 

"The Jung's are holding a christmas party tomorrow. And you are very much invited... And..." Hyungsik tried to think of a perfect explanation to convince Kai to go for the party.

 

"Sure. I'll go."

 

"What? I'm not even done yet. And you are answering it so readily?" Hyungsik jumped up from his seat due to his dongsaeng's answer.

 

"Why can't I? It's not like I have to consider about anything when it comes to the Jungs. They can't possibly want me dead right? Haha." Kai laughed.

 

"Wow. Daebak. What's with this sudden change?" Hyungsik sat back down and looked at Kai intently.

 

"What change? I don't think I've changed. I think... I'm still the same old me. The one who still loves Krystal dearly." Kai smiled at him.