018

Neverland

"I'm going to reschedule her treatment dates for your sake, Kai. This is the best I can do for you, don't ever mess it up again." Kai recalled what his sister has told him yesterday.

 

Yesterday was definitely a long night for the both of them. Kai's sister had to finish the uncompleted story Krystal had left Kai off in the hospital, and as for Kai? He had to absorb all the new information that he hasn't heard off. He thought he understood Krystal all along, but the truth states otherwise.

 

Right now, after hearing his sister out, Kai is standing right in front of ward 1504. For the past 10 minutes, he has been debating in his mind whether he should go in or not. What should he say when he steps in? What will Krystal's reaction be? Will Krystal chase him away?

 

"Kai?"


 

"Why didn't you go in?" Hyungsik asked as they both settled down in the hospital's cafeteria.

 

"I... I... I didn't dare to face her. Especially not when I totally misunderstood her!"

 

"Kai... Look at hyung. She misses you a lot. Ever since that day when you stepped out of that door, she has been crying non-stop. Whatever Jessica and I tried to do, she just couldn't bring herself to smile. It's only you who have the power to make her smile again." Hyungsik informed.

 

"I... I... I..." Even before Kai coould finish, he was cut off by Hyungsik.

 

"Just go in and see what happens. Don't do things that you know you will regret in the future. Remember, she doesn't have all the time in this world for you." With that, Hyungsik give Kai a pat on his shoulders before walking away.


 

"I can do this. Kai, you can do this!" With determination, Kai let his warm hands touch the icy cold handle of the door leading him in to ward 1504.

 

"Kacha!" The door opened, and Kai slowly pushed the door open. Almost immediately, a lump was formed in his throat upon seeing the girl he missed so dearly. The girl who he has hurt so deeply, and the girl who kept her true feelings to herself because she didn't want him to get hurt. Both of them made eye contact, and it was as though the world has stopped spinning right at that moment. Just like as if there was some imaginary force pushing Kai from his back, he moved towards the bed. 

 

Seeing Kai, Krystal was utterly stunned. Never did she thought that Kai would actually step foot into this room ever again. As Kai slowly approaches her, Krystal then realised what she was doing earlier. Quickly, she hid her diary under the pillows.

 

Though Kai was curious what Krystal had hid, he decided not to ask about it as his first priority was to actually think of starting the conversation first. He scratched the back of his head to think of something to say first, whatever he had practice just now on his way up from the cafeteria just seems to have vanished within thin air.

 

"H... Hi?" Krystal started the conversation.

 

"Way to go Kai, way to go. 1 point for her and zero for you." Kai thought to himself. 

 

"/Cough/ /Cough/" Kai immediately cast his eyes on Krystal. "Are you okay? Do I need to go and get the doctor for you?" Kai asked in an anxious tone.

 

At that moment, Krystal really felt like laughing out loud looking at Kai's reaction because all she wanted was to get Kai back to earth, but knowing that it isn't the right time she just merely replied, "No, no, no! There's nothing wrong! Your mind just seems to be somewhere else. I just wanted to you know... Get your attention back here..." She trailed off.

 

"Great. Looks like she just earned herself another point." Kai thought to himself, as he formed an 'o' with his mouth to acknowledge Krystal's previous actions. Knowing how dumb he look like now, Kai finally started to speak. "So... How's everything? Like... Er... Treatments! Yeah... Treatments..."

 

Hearing the word 'treatment' instantly reminded Krystal of the conversation she had with her doctor. A long pause ensued after Kai's question as Krystal had an internal battle in her mind going on. Should she tell him that she has agreed to go for the treatment? Should she keep quiet about it? Will he get angry once again if she decides not to tell him?

 

"Oh... Yeah... Great!"

 

Kai looked at her with doubtful eyes. "Your treatment dates aren't even confirmed yet?" Kai voiced out.

 

"Busted. That's right. You are so busted Krystal Jung." Krystal facepalmed herself in her mind.

 

Kai went on one knee and locked eyes with Krystal. "I came here today to say sorry. Your side of story, I finally got to hear it. I'm so so so sorry for misunderstanding you. That day, I must have hurt you so deeply, but to be totally honest with you, it hurts me more to leave you alone crying without comforting you. I know whatever I say now might not help to heal your heart, but today, I came with an even more important mission. That is to make you mine. Krystal Jung, will you be my girlfriend?"

 

Krystal was totally bewildered by Kai's actions. Everything just seem so sudden, her mind just couldn't take in everything within these few minutes. "I... I... I..." 

 

Kai continued to look at Krystal with hopeful eyes. Krystal scoffed, "Destiny just likes to play with me huh? It made me fall in love with you but it refuses to let us be together." Krystal paused before continuing, "Forget it Kai. There will be no happy ending between us, forget about me and look for someone else. Don't spend your time on a dying girl."

 

"Don't be stupid, didn't I told you before? I will never ever fall for any girl but you. You are the only one for me, and I won't let you go so easily. With you, I don't need a happy ending because what matters most to me, is the journey with you. Yes, you might be dying, but I don't care. Just let me walk through your remaining journey with you and that's all I'm asking for. Together we will walk until the very end together, even if you have to go, I want you to leave with the most beautiful memories." Kai then reached out his hand and wiped away Krystal's endless stream of tears from her eyes, using his thumb. "So let me ask you again, will you, Krystal Jung, be my girlfriend and give me this honor of walking the rest of your journey with you?"

 

Krystal couldn't stop her tears from flowing out of her eyes, all these, it's just like a dream come true for her. It's as though she has turned into her favourite princess, Aurora, where a prince comes along and saves her. For many years, Krystal unknowingly hid her true feelings for Kai as she was so blinded by the thoughts of pleasing Jessica. She always thought that Jessica was the only love she ever needed until recently when she finally came to realise that, no, the love she ever needed was Kai. The prince that was warm enough to melt down the ice walls of the ice princess, herself.

 

Though having said that, she was still different from Aurora, because Aurora and her prince had a happily ever after. What about Kai and her? Will Kai leave her halfway through the journey once she nods her head? Was Kai doing all this for show? All these questions with uncertain answers, she doesn't want to find out the answer to her questions right now, and probably she never ever wants to find out. But for her, all she knows now is that, if she ever let this chance slip past her again, she will regret it for life.

 

"I do, Kim JongIn. I am willing to be your girlfriend."