Tied By A Thin Thread

Tied By a Thin Thread

Donghyun takes his luggage from the belt. He has two huge suitcases together with a backpack, stuffed with a huge number of random things. He was very excited when Youngmin asked him if they could meet on the day he came back. He had immediately accepted his friend’s request. His parents are still at work so the fact that his friends will be welcoming him makes him feel very glad he isn’t all alone.

He makes his way to the final “arrivals” door and walks through it. He feels a bit disappointed when he sees all the other people being welcomed by their families and friends. I guess this is obvious when you study abroad for 4 years. You get forgotten naturally. He makes his way through the crowd that is full of love and happiness. It makes him feel incredibly lonely at this point.

‘HYUNG! HYUNG!’ The voice is not very recognizable until it pierces through the whole crowd.

‘I’m sorry, sorry, please move.’ The small figure struggles to get through the crowd, holding a tray with two cups of coffee in his right hand and car keys in his right. The small person ends up in front of him, sighing like a madman. Donghyun must let go of his suitcase to steady the boy from losing his balance. ‘Hyung…’ The boy sighs before looking up and smiling brightly at Donghyun. ‘I am here to pick you up!’ He says, grinning, waving around his car keys in front of Donghyun’s face. ‘Minwoo…’ Donghyun can only stare at the person in front of him. Even though he is still smaller than Donghyun, he has grown. His arms look more muscular and his eyes slightly more mature than playful.

‘Iced Americano. The way you like it.’ Minwoo says, pushing the tray into Donghyun’s hands. ‘Ah… thanks…’ Donghyun answers, still bewildered by his ex suddenly appearing in front of him after 4 years. Minwoo, on the other hand, seems to be completely fine and has already taken Donghyun’s two suitcases, pulling them along with him. ‘Are you coming or not?!’ He yells, already close to the door that leads to the parking area of the airport. Donghyun is startled and quickly follows Minwoo. The two of them walk to the car in silence. Minwoo unlocks the car and Donghyun puts his suitcases in the trunk. Minwoo walks up to the left side of the car which startles Donghyun. ‘Why are you going there?’ He asks, shocked. Minwoo is startled by his question but then laughs. ‘Hyung, I’m not an 18 year old high schooler anymore. I have my driver’s licence. How else could I have gotten to the airport by car, all by myself?’ He asks. Donghyun blushes slightly from his stupid mistake. ‘I didn’t mean it like that. I just don’t’ trust your driving, that’s all.’ He lies. ‘So quickly get into the passenger seat.’ He says. Minwoo shakes his head. ‘No way! You must be tired from your flight.’ He argues. ‘The flight is only 2 and a half hours from Kansai airport to Seoul. I am not tired at all. Now listen to me and get into the passenger seat.’ He says, as stern as possible. Minwoo shrugs and goes to the other side. ‘I don’t mind. As long as you don’t cause an accident. This is my parents’ car.’ He warns Donghyun. ‘You should worry more about yourself than the car.’ Donghyun scolds him. Minwoo rolls his eyes before getting inside the car. Donghyun does the same and starts the car, reversing it. Minwoo screams when Donghyun presses the gas too strongly and they almost hit the car parked behind them. Donghyun hits the brake just in time. ‘IDIOT!’ Minwoo screams. ‘I almost got a heart attack! Get out, I’ll drive.’ He says, already removing his seatbelt. ‘It was a mistake.’ Donghyun mumbles before quickly bending over to grab the seatbelt. Their eyes meet at this close angle. Minwoo blushes and Donghyun quickly averts his eyes and fastens Minwoo’s seatbelt. ‘Trust me a little, okay?’

‘Can I, after 4 years of no contact.’ Minwoo says. He said it in the softest voice ever but Donghyun still heard it. ‘Yes.’ He says before driving away. Minwoo doesn’t say anything anymore for 20 minutes straight. It is not busy on the highway and Donghyun peeks to the side to see Minwoo’s expression. The young college student is pouting like a 6-year-old, not getting the game he wanted from his mom. This situation is slightly worse though…

‘Minwoo. I am sorry for not contacting you these past years. But honestly, you we’-..are my ex. What was I supposed to say?’ He asks.

‘These past years? Those were four years. After being in a relationship for a whole year. I even came out to the whole school for you. If that is not enough reason to contact me even once to ask how I am doing than I don’t know what is anymore.’ Minwoo says. He has officially lost his temper. Donghyun sighs and says nothing until he spots a rest stop on the sign. He drives towards it and skilfully parks the car. He removes his seatbelt and then Minwoo’s. Minwoo still doesn’t look at him through this whole process.

‘Minwoo, look at me.’

‘No. Let’s just go to your home and get off. You won’t have to talk to me ever again.’ Minwoo says. Now Donghyun can feel his body temperature rising and in all his frustration he grabs Minwoo’s shoulders, that have become a lot broader, and turns him around. Minwoo still looks down. Donghyun decides he has no other choice and grabs the other’s chin with his thumb and index finger. ‘How could I have survived Tokyo if I had to keep on missing you? I would’ve worried every single second about you. I would be miserable.’ He says. Tears well up in Minwoo’s eyes. ‘I should’ve never accepted you breaking up with me. I was the one miserable not seeing you. I feel so stupid and desperate for picking you up at the airport but I couldn’t stop myself. Even though I knew I would get hurt I still came. I love you so much Kim Donghyun and it has been incredibly painful to go through these past 4 years. The funny thing is, now I feel worse.’ He says, tears streaming down his eyes. Donghyun cups Minwoo’s face and wipes away the tears with his thumbs. ‘I still can’t believe you are here. How could you still not forget about me after 4 whole years?! You are such an idiot.’ Donghyun says. Minwoo wants to protest but Donghyun kisses the other on his lips before he can say anything. ‘I cannot believe you were waiting for me. Why does such a perfect person as you wait for such a stupid guy like me, that never thinks of others their feelings?’ He asks after releasing Minwoo’s lips. Minwoo shakes his head in frustration. ‘I don’t know!’ He whines. He once again chokes on his own tears and Donghyun wraps his arms around him and pats him on the back. ‘Don’t ever do that again. You will never get a boyfriend if you do that.’

‘I don’t want another boyfriend. I want Kim Donghyun.’ Minwoo whines, hitting Donghyun’s chest in frustration.

‘I get it. Please stop. Minwoo!’ Donghyun says desperately, when Minwoo keeps on hitting him. Minwoo finally stops and looks up at his ex with his two puppy eyes. ‘You do?’ He asks. ‘Yes. I will be your boyfriend, your fiancée and your husband. I will never let you go again, so please give this stupid ex-boyfriend of you another chance.’ He says, not breaking their eye contact for even a single moment. Minwoo has finally stopped crying and then smiles the most genuine and innocent smile Donghyun has ever seen in his whole life. ‘Of course!’

 

~

Jeongmin is out for a run. Obviously, he is wearing his disguise. After four years of hard work his group had been able to release 5 albums and get first place 3 times. He couldn’t have been more happy than at that moment. He’s so lost in his thoughts he doesn’t realize he ended up walking on the wrong side of the trial. Before he knows it he bumps into someone. The other person is so strong that Jeongmin falls on the ground. His earphones fall out too. ‘I’m sorry, I was walking on the wrong side.’ JEongmin says, in a slightly different voice so he won’t be recognized.

‘Don’t be. I actually didn’t bump into you accidentally.’ The other man says. A helping hand appears in front of his eyes and Jeongmin’s eyes lighten up in recognition. He takes the hand and before he knows it he’s standing back on his feet. The other lets go of his hand and removes his hat. Now that his view isn’t blocked anymore Jeongmin can see the person in front of him, wearing the long trousers and the black tank top showing off his toned arms. ‘I’m probably your biggest fan.’ The man says, with an embarrassed smile. Jeongmin can’t help but smirk looking at the familiar person. ‘Even though I appreciate those words I think it is still a bit rude to walk into me, isn’t it?’ He asks with a cheeky tone in his voice.

‘Want to go for a run together?’ The other asks. Jeongmin nods. The other just smiles and starts running.

 

They run for over an hour before they end up at a huge apartment complex far away from the park where they met. ‘You run one hell of a distance.’ Jeongmin admits. The other smiles. ‘Well, I started working out when my boyfriend from 5 years ago told me he likes toned bodies and then I kind of got addicted to it. Would you like to take a shower here?’ He asks. Jeongmin nods. ‘I would love to.’ He says, grinning from ear to ear. He follows the other man into the apartment. He gets thrown into the shower first with a towel and some clothes. He gets into the shower quickly and smiles when he recognizes the shampoo brand. The conditioner is still placed on the left side while the shampoo is placed on the right side. The towels are still black, because that is the colour that man likes to have for his towels and bedding.

 

‘Make yourself at home.’ The man says, before jumping into the shower after Jeongmin is all clean again. Jeongmin immediately goes off to the kitchen and puts on the water boiler before taking a banana from the fridge.

When the other man comes out of the bathroom he laughs out loud. You really made yourself at home.’ He says, laughing. Jeongmin nods and takes the final bite of his banana. ‘I would love to live here, but I still live with a few members so I guess I can’t.’ He says. ‘You’re welcome anytime. For anything.’ The other says. JEongmin smiles and walks up to the other. ‘Really, Hyunseong?’ He asks before wrapping his arms around the other’s neck. Hyunseong smiles and lifts the other up before twirling him around for a few times. ‘Of course!’ He says, making Jeongmin laugh. Jeongmin thought he would never see the other again, and if they did it would have felt like they had become strangers. But Hyunseong must have been longing for Jeongmin as much as he had for Hyunseong. The two of them had never been disconnected in their thoughts even once.

‘Forever?’ Jeongmin asks.

‘Obviously.’ Hyunseong says, putting Jeongmin down again before connecting their lips. Jeongmin smiles through their kiss.

~

After sending out all the texts Kwangmin smiles a satisfied smile. ‘I can’t believe Donghyun hyung already finished college.’ He says. Youngmin nods. ‘True. We are still nowhere Kwangie.’ He says, becoming embarrassed when realizing he used a nickname for his boyfriend. Kwangmin giggles slightly and rushes over to Youngmin to give him a hug. ‘But at least we are living together. It would’ve been better if we could’ve gone to the same college though…’ he whines. Youngmin pushes the other away. ‘It’s better we didn’t. Then I would have to do this every day.’ He says. Kwangmin pouts slightly but then becomes all cheerful again. ‘You know you like it.’ He says, wrapping his arms around the other, pulling him closer for a kiss. Youngmin immediately responds to the other and forces the other’s lips apart. They deepen their kiss, pulling themselves as close to each other as they possibly can. They let go of each others lips at exactly the same time and can’t help smiling a little for being so in sync.

‘We are finally meeting up again. I can’t wait to have Korean barbecue and to go to karaoke!’ He excitingly jumps up and down. ‘Someone, please calm this kid down.’ Youngmin says, rolling his eyes. On the inside of course, he is also happy. Even though he doesn’t care about Jeongmin, seeing the others is something he is also looking forward to. ‘I wonder if we can get them back together. I mean, the only way they can meet again is through us.’ Youngmin says. Kwangmin walks over to his boyfriend and kisses him on his cheek. ‘I know right. It is like the two of us are like a tiny wire connected to the others with knots. But if we start wrapping it around our fingers everyone will come together again.’ Kwangmin explains. Youngmin laughs. ‘Are we giving ourselves to much credit? What if they are already all together again?’ Youngmin asks. The two make eye contact. ‘Impossible.’ They say at exactly the same time. They burst out into laughter from being in sync even on this kind of topic.