A Heart Fluttering Summer part I

Tied By a Thin Thread

Chapter 16: A Heart Fluttering Summer part I

When Kwangmin opens the door of the café he immediately spots Youngmin, sitting in a corner on a chair. He quickly walks towards him and puts his laptop bag on the table.

‘Thank you for coming.’ Youngmin says, finishing a sentence of his paperwork before stealing a glance at him. Kwangmin sits down. ‘Do I have much of a choice?’ He pulls the zipper of the bag and gets his laptop out.

 

Tomorrow is the first of August. Kwangmin got a call from Youngmin early in the morning that he still hadn’t finished all his paperwork for the next school year yet. If he didn’t finish it he had to wait until the 15th and finish it at school during the “supposed to be” holidays.

Kwangmin sometimes can’t believe how the Paran rules keep ruining everything for him and his brother. Not wanting to wait any longer to be alone with this hyung he offered his help.

And now he’s here. In a café. Youngmin sitting across from him, ignoring him completely, focusing on his work, while Kwangmin orders a caramel macchiato.

 

‘Do I just put the files in?’ Kwangmin asks, his eyes leave the screen and wander to Youngmin’s perfect facial features.

‘Yes. I sent you a standard message you put in the e-mail.’

‘Do you always sent these newsletters to the freshmen for next year?’ Youngmin doesn’t look at him and keeps working.

‘No. These are specific ones for foreign students. If you open the file you can see it’s in English. Normally I add a message myself.’

‘This person is Japanese right? Moriya Yukari. Should I sent her she can ask if she has any questions or doesn’t understand the English?’

‘That would be nice. I’ll tell you the kanji.’

‘Yah! Do you think I’m stupid? I know Japanese hyung. You’re not the only council member of affairs here.’ Kwangmin scolds him. Youngmin finally looks up and smiles apologetically. ‘Sorry.’ He says. Kwangmin succeeds in making him not look away by staring intensely at him.

‘You’re finally looking at me.’ He says, after a while. Youngmin’s expression turns more serious. ‘I’m really sorry Kwangmin. I don’t deserve this. I don’t even know why you’re doing this for me.’

‘Because I love you.’ Kwangmin says. Before his mind is able to panic Youngmin has already crushed his hope to even do that. ‘Don’t say such cheesy things this early in the morning.’ He says as he immediately turns to the papers again.

 

Kwangmin is so flustered by his own confession he doesn’t notice Youngmin’s cheeks changed colour.

 

~

The next day Youngmin rushes through the hall with a huge amount of maps, covering him from belly button to his nose.

He lets out a relieved sigh when he meets Donghyun in front of the student council room. Donghyun opens the door for him. ‘Thanks. I was already thinking what I should do if no one opened the door for me.’ Youngmin says. Donghyun just laughs. ‘I heard some guys say the president, or former president wants to talk to you. Good luck.’

‘Crap! Am I in trouble with Sehyukkie?’ He asks sarcastically. Donghyun grins. ‘You’re already addressing him differently? You’re probably the most un loyal bastard in the whole student council! See you at the closing ceremony.’

Youngmin smiles and nods before entering the student council room.

 

When he puts down the papers he’s called immediately.

‘Yah! The president asked for you.’ Youngmin rolls his eyes. Tell me something I don’t know.

Suddenly he realizes the cold atmosphere in the room. Instead of the hot weather outside he can feel the chilling cold almost choking him. All the cold stares seem to be directed at him. He decides to ignore it for now and leaves to go to the room where ex-president Sehyuk is at the moment. “Ex-president Sehyuk”… am I the only one thinking that title suits him perfectly?

 

The door in front of him is opened before he is even able to knock. He’s immediately facing the vice president. The older boy’s death glare sends a shiver down Youngmin’s spine. He quickly slips past him through the door.

Sehyuk is leaning against the wall and has his both of his hand in his hair. His eyes are closed. This is the first time Youngmin sees him like this. He seems like a whole different person. A weak and troubled human being, lost in his own thoughts.

Youngmin clears his throat. ‘You called for me?’ Sehyuk’s arms drop and he slowly opens his eyes. ‘Yes. Take a seat.’ Youngmin watches him cautiously. It’s only when Sehyuk turns his head and the fierce eyes immediately pull his senses back. He quickly walks towards the chair in front of the desk and quickly sits down. Sehyuk takes his seat on the other side of the desk.

‘Did you finish the work.’

‘Yes mister president.’

‘That’s good. You must be happy I’m leaving.’ Sehyuk says with a sly smile playing on his lips. Youngmin opens his mouth but no words come out. Sehyuk’s expression doesn’t change as he opens the drawer in the desk.

‘You may have realised everyone is in a very bad mood today even though the holidays are starting. That’s not because I’m leaving. It’s because of this.’ He says. A big map drops with a thumb on the wooden desk. Youngmin looks at Sehyuk, then at the map and then back to Sehyuk.

‘It’s yours.’

‘That’s the presidential map mister president. I know that everyone wants it but why would it become mine?’

‘Because I’m making you the new president.’

It takes a while for Youngmin to take in the words. He blinks a few times but Sehyuk’s serious expression says it all.

 

The last year passes by him in a few seconds. It’s like a movie of his life.

‘W… why? You were always the worst to me? Why?’

‘You are doing your work sincerely and well. I never denied that. I just hate you for trying to change the written rules.’ Sehyuk says. Youngmin nods slowly as he grabs the map and opens it. All the important papers of the past presidents are in the map and on the top is the paper with his name.

‘You know there’s a big chance I will change them right? The rules…’ Youngmin slowly says. He already regrets saying it. It’s probably over now…

‘I know but I don’t care. I gave you the responsibility of the rules so do whatever you want with them. It’s your decision. I’m done with this school, the rules and especially the students.’ Sehyuk says. Youngmin looks up and their eyes meet. ‘Are you serious?’

‘Yes, president Jo. I don’t go back on my word. Never.’

 

~

Youngmin closes the door of his room and drops down on his bed. The closing ceremony is finished. He takes his bag from the floor and pulls out the map. Only now all those cold stares make sense to him. He still can’t believe the fact he’s going to be the president of Paran high school. Even though he’s happy, deep down inside he wishes he was the president from the beginning and all the stuff between Jeongmin and Hyunseong wouldn’t have happened. But then he and Kwangmin wouldn’t have made up. They wouldn’t be where they are now. He feels his cheekbones rising thinking about Kwangmin. He gets even happier realizing he’s seeing him tonight after a while. Even though Kwangmin sounds cute over the phone he’s obviously much better to be with in person.

I should tell Kwangmin I’m going to be president. Maybe I won’t have to pay for all of the samgyupsal then? He thinks with a big grin.

 

~

Kwangmin, Jeongmin, Hyunseong and Minwoo are waiting at the bus station for the two Paran students.

‘Never thought I would feel this free without my uniform.’ Hyunseong says with a sigh. Minwoo nods excitedly. ‘Well of course. A lot has happened this school year.’ Jeongmin says. The other three hum in agreement.

‘Ah! The bus is here!’ Minwoo says excitedly.

‘What’s the plan? Are we going together?’ Kwangmin asks. Minwoo cheers but stops when he sees the couple’s disappointed reaction.

‘Let’s do it like this. We’ll stroll the festival with the 6 of us and then split up and do our own thing. Then Youngmin hyung can buy me the food he promised and Minwoo can continue his seducing plan.’ He says, proud of his own proposal.

‘Sounds good to me.’ Minwoo says. Kwangmin doesn’t realize Jeongmin and Hyunseong are laughing at him in silence. Minwoo does and turns instantly when he sees the couple’s sparkling eyes.

‘The bus is here!’ Kwangmin announces. He feels emberassed when he realizes how excited he sounded just now.

‘Kwangmin the puppy is back.’ Jeongmin teases. Kwangmin decides to ignore him to not get more suspicious. He has a feeling that everyone knows about his feelings except for Youngmin but he never knows for sure.

The doors open end after a while Youngmin and Donghyun come out, squeezing themselves through all the people going and leaving to and from the festival. It takes a while before they meet. Donghyun and Minwoo happily greet each other first.

Because it’s crowded Youngmin is being squeezed against his little group and before he knows it he and Kwangmin are face to face. He never noticed before how beautiful Kwangmin looks. He can see his own reflection in Kwangmin’s big, dark eyes.

‘It’s been a while.’ Kwangmin says, probably to get rid of the awkwardness between them. ‘Yeah.’ Youngmin says.

‘Let’s get out of here. I’m getting claustrophobic.’ Jeongmin complains. Kwangmin laughs at his words and Youngmin can’t help smiling too. God, he missed Kwangmin.

 

They quickly look for some space and then walk along with the crowd, towards the festival. The 6 of them talk about nonsense. Jeongmin and Hyunseong walk hand in hand lovingly. Minwoo and Donghyun chatter happily. The 4 of them take a look out for Youngmin and Kwangmin who are running from stall to stall to get some free samples of all the festival foods.

 

‘You are going to lose us!’ Donghyun warns, for the hundredth time of the night.

‘This squid is delicious hyung!’ Kwangmin says happily. He feeds Youngmin a piece and he laughs when he sees the other’s expression turning into that of… let’s just say an idiot that loves festival food.

The two of them get a shock when Hyunseong wraps his arms around them. ‘We almost lost you guys again. Donghyun hyung is going crazy because of you two. The fireworks are starting in 15 minutes. We should hurry.’ Hyunseong says. The two of them sigh. ‘I want to eat more.’ They both complain at the same time. Hyunseong flashes them an apologetic smile. ‘Sorry guys. I don’t want to die by Donghyun hyung’s hand today. We’ll split up after the fireworks anyway. You can get all the food you want then.’ He says. Kwangmin flushes when Hyunseong turns towards him and winks. ‘Good luck!’ The message is obvious.

 

Youngmin is surprised when he sees Hyunseong winking and Kwangmin’s over the top reaction. Hyunseong hyung and the others are much closer to Kwangmin then I am. In my next life we’ll go to the same school.  He swears while watching the two with fury in his eyes.