Little Kids

Tied By a Thin Thread

Chapter 32: Little Kids

Youngmin wakes up but is not able to open his eyes. His throat is still dry from screaming the day before. His head is throbbing like crazy. He wished he could just lie in bed and cry for the full day.

The door is opened. Youngmin flinches at the pain he feels from it.

‘It’s already nine o’clock, get up. Are you okay?’ He can hear Donghyun. His friend sounds worried. Before Youngmin realizes it Donghyun is helping him to sit up straight. His friend’s cold hand rests on his forehead. ‘I think you have a slight fever. I’ll tell the dorm head so stay in for today.’ Donghyun says. Youngmin nods slightly, trying to move as less as possible.

 

He lies down again when Donghyun gets out of the room. He tries to focus on his throbbing forehead to not think of Kwangmin, and of how stupid he’s been. A little later the dorm head comes in and gives him medicine. Only a few minutes after he falls into a restless sleep.

 

~

Kwangmin fixes his bangs in the mirror. Jeongmin and Minwoo are standing in the doorway of the bathroom.

‘I have a good one, say two flies flew into your eyes at the same time.’ Minwoo says, immediately getting kicked against the knee by Jeongmin. ‘Babo! No one would believe that.’ Jeongmin says. Kwangmin laughs and watches his reflection as he does so. His eyes are all red and puffy from crying. He was immediately caught by Jeongmin when he got back and forced to tell his brother-like friends everything that had happened. Both were shocked and had ranted for him as he cried. They once again made Kwangmin realize they are the best friends a person could wish for.

‘Hyung, you’re not going to break up with Youngmin hyung right?’ Minwoo asks. Kwangmin gulps away the tears that he feels coming. ‘I don’t want to, but I don’t know about hyung.’ Kwangmin says, his voice breaking. Jeongmin immediately runs up to him and hugs him from behind. ‘DON’T CRY BABY!’ He yells, hugging the boy tight. ‘Don’t worry hyung. Youngmin hyung will apologize soon enough. The two of you will be just fine.’ Minwoo says, also walking up to him to pat him on the back. Kwangmin nods slightly. ‘I’ll just hope you’re right…’

 

~

When Youngmin wakes up 3 hours later he notices his headache has disappeared almost completely. He takes out his phone and immediately opens the chat with Kwangmin to tell him about his terrible morning. Then he realizes why he had such a terrible morning. He sighs and throws his phone next to him on the bed. It’s not my fault. He kissed me in the hallway of the school! How could I not get mad? Youngmin thinks but he’s immediately brought back to yesterday and the image of the shocked and scared Kwangmin is perfectly clear in his mind. Maybe I was too harsh on him. He thinks, but still not really convinced by himself. He loves Kwangmin an awful lot but that also makes him weak. He won’t make the same mistake as Hyunseong and Jeongmin did. He doesn’t want to be found out like that. He doesn’t want their relationship to be ruined by it. But it’s still my fault we’re fighting. I got mad because I love him and I care for him. Why can’t he understand that? Why does that idiot never call me first?! Yougmin thinks. The throbbing in his head is building up again.

Stupid Kwangmin.

 

~

Kwangmin sneakily takes his phone from his pocket when he feels it vibrating. He’s surprised to see a text from Donghyun.

 

Youngmin has a fever. Did something happen yesterday?

 

Kwangmin immediately feels guilty. It’s probably not a fever but a headache. He himself is also having one. Both of them tend to have a very annoying throbbing in their forehead when they are stressed or worried.  Youngmin was already busy with the sports competition and now he made his boyfriend’s condition worse because he fought with him.

It’s only been a day but he misses Youngmin. He isn’t mad anymore. He was mad at the moment Youngmin had turned around and walked away, but after that he had only felt guilty. He made a move at a bad moment and that’s why Youngmin scolded him for that. He knows that now and wishes he would have realized that earlier. Why isn’t he calling me? He doesn’t even sent me a message saying he isn’t feeling well…

Stupid Youngmin!

 

~

Youngmin puts on training pants and looks for his coat. It’s evening and after staying in bed for a whole day, which isn’t very Youngmin-like, he has an urge to go out. Donghyun had texted him the dorm head was away for an hour or so and he could leave unnoticed if he wanted to.

 

He unlocks his phone when he is outside. Kwangmin hasn’t sent him a message. He’s so lost in thought he doesn’t hear the voice from behind calling his name. He wakes up when someone bumps against his back.

‘Look out where you’-  Youngmin wants to get mad but when he turns around he’s facing Yukari, rubbing her forehead with a pained expression. ‘I’m very sorry.’ She says with a trembling voice. Youngmin realizes he was speaking in a very harsh way and quickly turns into a sweet upperclassman again.

 ‘I’m sorry, I didn’t realize it was you. Are you okay?’ He asks. He takes her hand in his and moves it away so he can look at her red forehead. He’s surprised when he sees the blush creeping on Yukari’s cheeks. ‘I’m fine.’ She says in a soft tone.

 

That first year also likes you

 

Kwangmin’s voice rings through his head. ‘Iinchõ…’ She quickly shakes her head. ‘I mean Youngmin oppa.’

Youngmin watches her, nodding to encourage her to keep talking. Yukari takes a deep breath and ten blurts out her confession. ‘I like you, no I love you. Please be my boyfriend.’ She says. When Youngmin wants to answer she flinches and closes her eyes. ‘I’m such an idiot. Please, oppa.’

Moriya-san, I’m sor’- ‘NOOO!’ Yukari screams, jumping on him. Youngmin is surprised by the girl wrapping her arms around his waist but decides to let it slip because he feels bad for her. His waist originally belongs to Kwangmin only so the girl should consider herself lucky.

‘I’ll do anything to become your girlfriend. I will win all the races against Uta at the sports competition if you want me to. I’ll get the best grade of all the first years if that’ll make you my boyfriend!’ She proposes, holding him tightly. Youngmin can’t help smiling.

‘Moriya-san.’ He says, taking her by the arms and removing them from his waist. The girl looks up, tears streaming down her face.

‘You are an adorable and lovely girl, I know that very well. If I wasn’t in love with someone else I wouldn’t answer like this: I’m sorry. I can’t be your boyfriend.’ He says. Yukari’s eyes turn big and she quickly wipes her tears.

‘You like someone else?’ She asks through sobs. Youngmin pats the girl’s head as he nods. ‘I’m very sorry.’

‘No, don’t be. I completely understand.’ She answers. ‘I’ll give up on you, it may take some time though…’ She says. Youngmin smiles and taps her cheek with his finger. ‘Take your time.’ He says, playfully. Yukari shows him a cute pout before turning around and leaving without saying another word.

 

Youngmin takes his phone. He wants to call Kwangmin so badly. He doesn’t. He resists. Kwangmin will take the first step, because he has done enough for that coward. That adorable piece of y . Youngmin thinks and he sighs when his head starts throbbing.

 

~

‘I’m sorry. Please let me through. Thank you.’ Junghwa keeps talking as she tries to push herself through the students participating in the championships. She now understands why presidents don’t want the sports championship to be at their school in their career. You are in charge of pretty much anything. Normally, the burden is lessened by the fact that the other presidents join in with the preparations and help out at the important day as well. But sadly for Junghwa, when Youngmin is on one side of the huge gym, Kwangmin is on the other side. She just got the confirmation from Youngmin to move the dance competition to the end of the day, to make it easier for her as she also participates, and now she has to find Kwangmin in this human wave.

She feels relieved when she spots the tall boy from far away.

‘Kwangmin oppa!’ She yells, in her excited high-tone pitch. Kwangmin, of course, hears her and waves. She’s happy when she realizes Minwoo is standing next to him.

‘I wanted to move the dance competition to the back if that’s okay with Jiso high school. I already got permission from Youngmin oppa and his dancer.’ Junghwa says. Kwangmin glances at Minwoo. ‘I don’t mind.’ The smaller boy says. ‘Thank you. I know it’s a selfish request.’ Junghwa says. ‘Not at all.’ Minwoo and Kwangmin say at the same time.

‘Is Youngmin already here?’ Kwangmin asks. Junghwa’s eyes grow wide. ‘You didn’t know? He got here an hour ago.’

‘I see.’ Kwangmin says. Junghwa, immediately suspicious wraps her arm around the taller guy’s shoulder and pulls him with her. ‘What are you doing?!’ Kwangmin protests as he is being pulled by her. She takes him to a corner and moves her face close to his.

‘You guys are always together? Why not now when I need you guys to be?’ She asks. Kwangmin’s complexion turns white at her words. ‘I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to…’-  ‘Did you guys have an argument?’ Junghwa asks. She knows she hit the right string when Kwangmin averts his eyes from her sharp gaze.

‘Is it that bad?’

‘Kind of…’ Kwangmin admits. Junghwa quickly takes his hands. Her action causes him to look into her eyes again. ‘Make up with him. It’s nice to see you guys together.’

‘I did something terrible, Junghwa. I even blamed him for my own wrong doing.’ Kwangmin says, he squeezes her hands to find support.

‘Say that to Youngmin, not to me. If you apologize sincerely Youngmin will forgive you. You have my word.’ Junghwa says. To answer Kwangmin’s uncertain gaze she nods. ‘I’m sure.’ She says again. She sighs when Kwangmin doesn’t seem encouraged. ‘Let’s do it like this. If I win in the dance competition against Minwoo, you will apologize to Youngmin. Got it?’

Kwangmin seems the get where she is going and nods. ‘Thank you. I’ll make sure I say it today, just give me some more time.’

‘That’s what I was doing just now, honey.’ Junghwa says with a smile. She lets go of Kwangmin’s hands and quickly runs off to the electronic board to change the setting of the competitions.

‘Those two are such little kids sometimes.’