I Need You

Tied By a Thin Thread

Chapter 11: I Need You

‘I told mom and dad I would tell about my decision myself.’ Kwangmin says. ‘But that didn’t happen…’ Youngmin adds.

Youngmin and Kwangmin have gone to a café only 3 bus stops away from Paran high. Normally it’s very busy but because school and work isn’t over yet the café is, except for them, a mother with two children and two couples, empty.

‘I didn’t think I would never see you again after our transfer.’ Kwangmin admits. He looks at Youngmin who takes his cup of coffee, takes a sip and then places it’s back on its matching plate. ‘That’s partly my fault. I was mad so I avoided coming home when you were there on purpose.’

Kwangmin lowers his head. ‘I’m really sorry. This is all my fault…’

Youngmin feels incredibly sad watching the other lower his head like that. ‘No… How am I going to explain myself? I wasn’t really mad, just hurt. I was stupid for ignoring you. It only made our relationship worse.’ Youngmin takes a deep breath. ‘ Do you know how shocked I was to see you again?’ He asks, grinning to lighten the mood. Kwangmin seems to get the hint and lifts his head. ‘Me too. But I was happy!’ His beautiful smile almost blinds Youngmin and words don’t seem to come out anymore. Luckily, Kwangmin doesn’t notice his brother’s stare and rattles on. ‘It was so funny. We didn’t see each other for a year or so and suddenly you were everywhere, at the same café, at the hospital and whatnot?’

Both of them laugh remembering the strange fate. The laughter passes quickly though. ‘Hyung….’ Kwangmin says, very softly. Youngmin makes a gesture with his hand, encouraging him to speak. ‘Why didn’t you tell me about your condition in the hospital?’

Youngmin shrugs. ‘Why would I? Being beaten up is not really something to boast about right?’

‘Yes, but if I knew I could have done something.’

‘That’s not true Kwangmin and you know that.’ Youngmin says with a stern voice.

‘I just…’ Kwangmin’s eyes fill up with tears. ‘I could’ve at least been there for you. You… you…’

‘Stop crying babo.’ Youngmin’s voice has turned gentle instantly. He takes Kwangmin’s hand in his and rubs the back of Kwangmin’s hand with his thumb. He’s not sure if it will help to comfort Kwangmin but he feels like he should do something and not just stare him down.

Kwangmin sniffs a few more times before pulling Youngmin’s hand up and putting it to his cheek. ‘I made you suffer all alone…’ His voice is almost a whisper now and Youngmin can also feel the tears that want to escape to the freedom of his cheeks. ‘Babo…’ He puts his and Kwangmin’s hand down and then he slightly presses his body over the table and cups Kwangmin’s face with his two hands.

 

~

Kwangmin immediately freezes up from his brother’s touch. The only movement comes from  the tears rolling over his cheeks.  When did hyung’s hands become this big? When was the last time he calmed me down by holding me like this?

‘I don’t want to hurt you anymore Kwangmin.’ Youngmin says, wiping away his tears. Kwangmin closes his eyes, leaning into the warmth that comes from Youngmin’s hands. How was he able to go on without feeling those for a whole year?

‘Me neither hyung. I don’t want you to feel bad again.’

He opens his eyes when his cheeks get squeezed together. ‘AHHH That hurts!’ He whines immediately. Youngmin’s face is close to his and the other grins. ‘Hell yes you don’t want to. If you make me mad again I will rip those soft cheeks of yours off.’He says, proving his words by now taking his cheeks between his fingers and stretching them as far as possible.

‘Ah-ah-ah-ah-ah! It hurts hyung~!’ Youngmin laughs out loud and lets go of him. ‘Let’s go. The bus is coming in three minutes.’

 

~

The announcement of the bus stop where Paran students have to get off alarms the both of them. Youngmin gets up from the seat next to Kwangmin.

‘Would you like to meet this weekend and play soccer like in the old days?’ The question comes so sudden but natural that Kwangmin is startled. ‘Yes. Of course!’ He quickly says. Youngmin laughs and quickly goes towards the door when the bus stops. ‘See you next weekend. I’ll message you.’ He says while swiping his card. He jumps off the bus and Kwangmin can only wave towards his brother as the doors of the bus close and the vehicle is on its way again.

Kwangmin can feel the throbbing of his heart all the way to his throat.

 

~

Youngmin waves until the bus is completely out of sight. I wasn’t a very good hyung was I Kwangmin? He quickly takes out his sunglasses when the tears blind his vision. Damn it. Everyone’s looking at me like I’m some sort of guy seeing his lover off before sending them to another country. He thinks, trying hard to ignore the people staring.

 

~

Donghyun throws his bag on the ground and takes his necktie of before dropping down on his bed. He takes his phone from under his pillow, checking his kakao messages.

Once again, no news he’s looking for. Minwoo, the small boy from Jiso that had been buzzing around him like some kind of mosquito for days suddenly stopped contacting him after they met Kwangmin in the morning four days ago.

Minwoo had asked him for his help to persuade Kwangmin to go to Youngmin to solve their awkward relationship. Of course Donghyun wanted to help, Youngmin is his best friend! But that made him think it was maybe also like that for Minwoo. What if the small, but sharp boy had fooled him. He was sure that Minwoo liked him and was trying to hide it but now he feels like he has been used just so that Minwoo could help his friend.

It annoys him to death. He hasn’t been getting any calls or messages. He was expecting the other to text him the same evening four days ago to thank him and make another excuse to have a long conversation or to even get the two of them to meet but nothing of that sort happened.

He clicks on Minwoo’s name and reads the last messages exchanged between the two of them. The last one is from Minwoo, who always talked until Donghyun didn’t answer anymore.

 

I’m going to sleep now =_=

It’s already past 2

 

I know hyung

I’ll stop talking

 

Sorry…

 

No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good night hyung ^-^

 

Good night

 

Dream about me ㅋ_

 

Donghyun laughs out loud. ‘He’s such a natural flirt.’ He says out loud before going to the options on his screen and without thinking he presses the “call” button.

Beep….beep….beep ‘Hello? Hyung?’

‘Hi Minwoo.’

‘It’s really you!’ Minwoo’s cheerful voice and laugh make the sides of Donghyun’s lips curl up naturally.

‘Want to get some ice cream tonight?’

‘SERIOUSLY?! I LOVE ICE CREAM!’ Minwoo cheers on the other side of the phone. This time Donghyun laughs out loud and he breaks into a cold sweat when Minwoo’s cute giggle reaches him.

 

~

‘See you at nine then.’ Minwoo says. He waits until Donghyun hangs up. Then he jumps up from his sitting position throwing his hands above his head.  ‘SUCCES!’ He yells proudly. He jumps of the bed and runs towards the closet pulling out his best shirt.

I can’t believe it worked. He thinks, dancing through his room from happiness. He made a promise with himself that he should not contact Donghyun anymore. Liking the other was driving him crazy and he couldn’t stand it anymore. He wanted to find out if Donghyun would make a move first and YEAH HE DID! Now Minwoo is sure. This hyung is slowly starting to like me. I’m going to push through… I won’t give up on you Kim Donghyun!