A Heart Fluttering Summer part II

Tied By a Thin Thread

Chapter 17: A Heart Fluttering Summer part II

Minwoo gasps when the last set of fireworks are lit to the sky. Out of curiosity he turns his head slightly to the right and he can see Kwangmin is looking at Youngmin. He smiles. How can this hyung be so obvious? He asks himself.

 

The fireworks are over and the six of them stare into the sky before Jeongmin speaks up.

‘Let’s go our own way.’ He says. The others nod. ‘See you tomorrow hyung.’ Minwoo says.

Jeongmin and Hyunseong leave first and then Donghyun taps Minwoo’s shoulder. ‘Let’s go too.’ He says. Minwoo nods.

‘Bye guys. Have a  fun holiday.’ Minwoo says. The twins nod. ‘You too Woo. I’ll call you later.’ Kwangmin says. Minwoo nods and giggles when he can feel Youngmin’s burning stare and forced smile.

‘Bye guys.’ Donghyun says before turning around. Minwoo quickly follows behind him.

 

~

Minwoo and Donghyun stroll through the park near the festival. Minwoo smiles brightly when Donghyun takes his hand and interwines their fingers.

‘Kwangmin and Youngmin didn’t realize we’re together right?’ He asks. ‘Who knows.’ Minwoo says in a playful tone.

There’s a short comfortable silence before Donghyun speaks again. ‘Kwangmin has been looking at Youngmin like that since they met right?’

‘Do you mean… with those eyes?’

‘He always looks like a love-blind man whenever I see him together with Youngmin. I wonder if he realized himself yet.’

‘He probably did. Kwangmin hyung has been much more daring and careful at the same time, if that makes sense.’ Minwoo says, slightly embarrassed by his own worry.

‘It does. He’s the same as you were with me.’ Donghyun teases him. Minwoo  immediately lets go of his hand and widens the distance between them. ‘How dare you compare me.’ He says, fakely in shock. Donghyun laughs loudly. ‘What are you doing?’ He asks as he takes Minwoo’s arm. The younger shrughs him off. ‘stay one meter away from me from now one.’

‘I don’t want to.’ Donghyun says and he wraps his arms around Minwoo’s waist and drags him along. Minwoo’s jester smile almost blinds Donghyun.

‘You’re worried about Youngmin hyung and Kwangmin hyung but you can still act like this?’ He asks, pointing at Donghyun’s arms.

‘Of course. Want to have our first kiss?’

‘YES!’ Donghyun is surprised by Minwoo’s immediate answer. He watches the boy in front of him suspiciously. Minwoo just keeps grinning. Donghyun decides to move his face a bit closer and now Minwoo’s face turns less bright.

‘What? Nervous already?’

‘No. Just getting into the mood.’ Minwoo says. Donghyun decides to not tease his boyfriend anymore and moves even closer.

‘Close your eyes.’ He says and Minwoo’s eyes flutter closed.

Minwoo feels like he’s in a dream when Donghyun’s soft and warm lips kiss his. He has never felt this happy and blessed in his whole life. Donghyun doesn’t force anything. Minwoo never expected he would receive such a tender and perfect first kiss in his whole life.

The both of them pull away slowly at the same time. Minwoo opens his eyes first and when Donghyun opens his he looks incredible. His eyes scream the love for him and the arms around his waist slowly pull Minwoo towards his boyfriend’s chest. He wraps his arms around Donghyun happily.

‘I love you.’ Donghyun says.

‘I love you too.’ Minwoo answers without hesitating.

 

~

Youngmin and Kwangmin enter a restaurant nearby and sit down.

‘Ahjumma! Two portions of samgyupsal and two cola please.’ Youngmin says.  

‘Yah! Don’t think I’m letting you off easily. I’m going to eat much more then you can pay.’ Kwangmin warns him with a grin.

‘Please spare me.’ Youngmin says making a big bow, his nose landing on the table. Kwangmin laughs.

They sit in awkward silence before the ahjumma arrives with the food and their drinks.

‘Aigoo! Such handsome customers. Are you two models? Actors? I have never seen a pair of beautiful twins like you.’ She says, while placing the food on the table. The two of them thank her for her compliments, both a bit emberassed by the phrase.

Youngmin starts grilling the samgyupsal and Kwangmin takes a sip of his coke. ‘It’s been a while.’ He states. Youngmin nods. ‘I’m finally able to repay you.’

‘Yes. I like it.’ Kwangmin says. His smile surprises Youngmin. His smile seems much more gentle but a bit forced. It has probably been like that for the whole day but he wasn’t able to look at Kwangmin properly until now.

‘Was all your work done well?’

‘Yes. I got sent to the president Sehyuk and…’ –‘And what?’ Kwangmin asks. He’s immediately all ears hearing the bastard’s name.  ‘He didn’t scold you right?’ He asks. Youngmin shakes his head. ‘No. I only heard some good news. I’ll tell you about it later.’

‘Just tell me about it now!’ Kwangmin says. Youngmin looks at the serious boy in front of him. ‘Don’t be so impatient, Jo Kwangmin. Ah, the meat is ready.’ He says. He gets back to the meat and makes a wrap for Kwangmin and gives it to him. Kwangmin tastes it and his eyes immediately turn big.

‘Is it good?’ Youngmin asks. Kwangmin nods eagerly and does a quick popping dance from excitement. Youngmin laughs when Kwangmin’s hands order him to make more. He quickly makes another wrap and gives it to Kwangmin. The other hasn’t even finished the first one yet but still puts it in his mouth. Youngmin laughs out loud. ‘You look like a hamster!’ He quickly makes another wrap and leans over the table. He shoves it into Kwangmin’s mouth, making the other choke on the amount he’s eating. In both of their eyes tears well up. Kwangmin from choking, Youngmin from laughing. Kwangmin quickly takes a napkin and spits out the food. Youngmin has dropped his head down on the table. He can’t stop laughing hearing the other cough as the aftermath.

‘You’re so mean!’ Kwangmin whines. Youngmin gets up from the table and wipes his tears. ‘U-chu-chu.’ He susses his brother. Kwangmin’s sulky face is definitely the cutest thing in the whole world.

Kwangmin has also made a wrap and extends his arms. ‘Ahhh~’ He says. Youngmin opens his mouth. He immediately spits the food out when he chews on the huge amount of garlic and peppers. Kwangmin laughs happily. ‘Payback!’ He cheers while Youngmin gulps down his cola.

 

They calm down and finish the food. The talk about trivial things.

 

‘Thank you for the food.’ Kwangmin says, as they leave the shop.

‘No need to thank me. I’m way too late anyway.’

They walk in silence. The silence is less awkward then before. They walk closely next to each other, so close that the back of their hands brush against each other. Both of them say nothing about it.

‘When are you going home hyung?’

‘After a few weeks. I still have to empty and clean my dorm. Then I’m going on a trip with the student council.’

‘Will you be okay?’ Kwangmin asks. Youngmin turns around and flashes him a smile. Kwangmin feels like he’s going to faint sooner or later from Youngmin’s charms. ‘I’ll be fine. I promise I’ll come home with a stratchless body.’ He says.

‘And a healthy mental?’ Kwangmin asks, immediately showing his pinky finger.

‘Promise.’ Youngmin says.

‘Contract, stamp, copy.’ Kwangmin says as they pinky promise, push their thumbs against each other and brush their hands over each other. 

They’re almost near the house of the Jo family.

‘I will be lonely without you know.’ Kwangmin admits. He tries to read Youngmin’s reaction but he can’t.

 

~

Youngmin has been feeling weird. Ever since he saw Kwangmin smiling the way he did he feels like something is going on that Kwangmin is not telling him.

He doesn’t know what to do. Should he tell Kwangmin he’ll miss him? That he doesn’t want to go? There seems to be no answer to his feelings. Kwangmin is right next to him. He should hug him but something is holding him back until they stand at the front door and Kwangmin is looking for the key in the dark.

He watches Kwangmin’s back from a sight distance. ‘Got it!’ Kwangmin announces. The sound of the door unlocking seems to snap Youngmin awake.

‘Kwangmin.’

‘What is it hyung?’ Kwangmin asks, turning around. The light from the hallway in the house lights one side of his face. Youngmin takes a deep breath before taking a few steps towards Kwangmin. There’s almost no distance between them and Youngmin is startled when Kwangmin backs away from him. ‘What is it hyu’- Youngmin pulls the other close into a tight hug. Just like he did the night they fought with Hyun Joo.

‘Hyung? What the?’

‘Why did you back away?’

‘Because you came too close obviously.’ Kwangmin says. ‘I see.’ Youngmin says. He lets go of Kwangmin. ‘See you.’ He says. He can’t look Kwangmin in the eye.

‘Y-yeah.’

Before Kwangmin is able to say anything else Youngmin turns around and walks away without looking back.

 

I never thought I was able to come ‘too close’ to Kwangmin. I never thought like that. I always wanted to be closer to him. Much closer.

What if I am the only one trying to get closer?

Youngmin feels the tears welling up in his eyes

Am I the only one feeling like this?

I’m sure of it. I’m in love with Kwangmin.

His wet, salty tears roll over his cheeks as Youngmin starts running faster and faster.

 

~

Kwangmin closes the door behind him. He immediately drops down on the floor and leans his head against the wood.

He wipes the tears streaming down his face.

‘Don’t be so nice to me. It hurts to be the only one in love.’ Kwangmin whispers before breaking out into silent sobs.