Meeting

Tied By a Thin Thread

Chapter 2: Meeting

‘You’ll have the meeting with Paran high tomorrow right?’ Minwoo asks.

Kwangmin and Minwoo  are playing a game and are totally absorbed as always.

‘When is tomorrow?’ Kwangmin asks as watches his character killing a few monsters. Minwoo picks up his phone from the floor. ‘It is already tomorrow. It’s half past 1. Don’t you have to sleep?’

‘I will oversleep anyway.’ Kwangmin says.

‘Aren’t you nervous?’

‘Of course not. It will probably be easy. How hard is it to change a stupid rule like that?’

‘Probably harder than you think hyung.’ Minwoo says. ‘I think I’m going to stop. I’ll have to get up at 5 if I still want to dance.’

‘I’ll dance after school. I can’t do it early in the morning.’ Kwangmin says. ‘That’s why I’m better at you when it comes to dancing.’

‘It’s just not my greatest passion.’

‘Then what is?’

‘How would I know.’ Kwangmin says. He throws his console on the ground in anger when his character drowns. ‘DAMN IT! Why did you distract me~!’ Kwangmin whines. Minwoo laughs as he gets up. ‘I’m going to bed. You should do so too.’

‘I know, don’t nag me. You’re not my mom.’

‘Of course I am. My full name is Min Omma Woo.’ Minwoo says immediately bursting out into laughter from his own joke. Kwangmin rolls his eyes. ‘You’re such a… Just leave it. Good night omma.’

‘Good Night my son.’

 

~

How could I take the wrong bus? Youngmin thinks while running through  the halls of Jiso high school. Everyone is staring at him. It's obvious that it's becuase he's wearing his school uniform which he now realizes wasn’t his best idea.

It takes him a few minutes to find the right classroom. When he opens the door he immediately bows. ‘Sorry I’m late. I won’t make excuses.’ He’s surprised when he looks up and the only people he is facing are Hyunseong and another guy. Probably the one from the video. ‘Where is…’ – ‘He’s always late. I’m Lee Jeongmin, nice to meet you.’ The small guy says.

‘I’m Jo Youngmin. I wished I would’ve never met you.’

‘Youngmin!’ Hyunseong says, clearly shocked. Youngmin doesn’t defend but goes towards one of the desks. ‘Of course, I have to come all the way to Jiso high school and when I come the person I should speak to is not even present. This is why this school has a bad reputation.’ Before Jeongmin is able to defend Youngmin sends a sharp look towards him. Jeongmin’s opened mouth closes again, not knowing what to do because well, he is guilty of something.

‘Let me just ask. Did you guys break up already?’

‘We didn’t.’ Hyunseong says. Youngmin is surprised but keeps his pokerface. ‘And why is that?’

Then the door of the classroom opens and someone is immediately bowing in front of them. ‘Sorry I’m late. The thing is, I had a lot of work last night and I totally didn’t sleep well because it was way too hot in my room and this morning I fell from the stairs and…’ The boy stops giving excuses after looking up. Youngmin already recognized him from the moment he appeared. It's Kwangmin. Kwangmin opens his mouth, then closes it again. Just like that Youngmin starts the conversation.

‘Are you in charge of affairs?’

‘Yes.’

‘Then, why aren’t they breaking up?’

‘It’s really good to see you hyung! How long has it been?’

‘Answer my question.’ Youngmin says. He can see Kwangmin flinching but then he quickly composes himself.

‘They are not breaking up because they haven’t done anything wrong. It’s not Jeongmin’s fault that Paran high has this ridiculous rule that forbids students to date. It may be a rule at Paran high school but it isn’t here at Jiso. That makes only student Shim Hyunseong at fault but I personally think he is not at fault.’

‘So you are saying that Jeongmin isn’t at fault so Hyunseong hyung is but Hyunseong hyung also isn’t. then who is at fault?’

‘Love.’ Kwangmin says. Youngmin raises an eyebrow. ‘Love?’

‘Yes. Love.’ Kwangmin repeats. ‘Why would they break up? From what I heard from my sunbaes it happened more often that Jiso and Paran high students dated even though it wasn’t allowed. It’s not like it’s a rule that’s strictly followed so why can’t Paran high just remove it?’

‘It’s a rule that has been there for years. Love is an emotion that can easily be suppressed or forgotten, especially in high school years.’

‘I don’t agree with that theory.’ Kwangmin says.

‘So you say they should keep seeing each other?’  Youngmin asks. Kwangmin nods. ‘Then I think you should also consider the fact that Shim Hyunseong will be expelled.’

‘WHAT?!’ Not only Kwangmin reacts but also Jeongmin has joined in. ‘No way!’ Jeongmin screams with a horrified expression. Youngmin doesn’t blink and nods. ‘That will probably be the decision the student council makes.’

‘I didn’t know that!’ Jeongmin says as he quickly turns towards Hyunseong. ‘Why didn’t you tell me? If it’s like this we’ll break up.  Jeongmin announces.

‘No you won’t!’ Kwangmin says. Hyunseong and Jeongmin both look surprised and Youngmin tries to hide his shock as well.

‘Can’t I make a deal?’

‘Like what?’

‘We’ll collect signatures and if the student council of Paran high agrees with the amount we’ll collect the rule will be removed.’

‘I can’t just agree to that without talking about it with the others.’

‘Aren’t you in charge of the school affairs like me? Did I discuss this with someone? No.’ Kwangmin answers himself proudly. ‘We both have to solve this problem.’

‘You know that right now this deal is only good for you right? What do I get?’

‘If there aren’t enough signatures the two of them will break up.’ Youngmin wants to open his mouth but he realizes that won’t be a good idea. If I don’t get Hyunseong hyung and Jeongmin to break up the members of the councel will beat me up. I could get expelled! ‘I accept. Let’s do this. I’ll give you a week to collect as much signatures as you can.’

‘That’s more than enough.’ Kwangmin says as he turns towards Jeongmin. ‘Go to your class hyung.’ Jeongmin nods and bows towards Youngmin. His eyes quickly meet Hyunseong’s before he leaves the room.

Hyunseong wants to say something but Youngmin stops him just in time. ‘Go hyung or you’ll miss the bus.’ Hyunseong nods, bows and leaves. Youngmin sighs. If Kwangmin found out I hid the fact that I have a younger twin brother and that he goes to Jiso high he would be really mad right? He’s pulled away from his thoughts by Kwangmin’s playful voice.

‘I thought hyung would go easy on me but I guess you are really a Paran student now…’

‘You didn’t make it easy for me either though.’ Youngmin says. He can’t deny the feeling of satisfaction he feels seeing Kwangmin all grown up and smiling in front of him. I’m glad you’re fine. It doesn’t look like you’ve been beaten up.

‘At first I wanted to be a Paran high student but I think it’s good I changed my mind!’ Kwangmin says. Youngmin feels a sudden irritation. ‘There’s nothing wrong with my school.’

‘I didn’t say that. It’s just not the school for me.’

Then why the heck did you always nag me that we had to go to Paran together when we were little?! Youngmin closes his eyes. Don’t snap Youngmin. It’s not worth it. ‘It’s the same for me. The students are way too laid back here no one even stopped me from running in the hallway.’

‘They probably thought you were me. I always run because I’m always late. Not because I don’t do anything but because I am busy with a lot of stuff!’

This kid keeps on giving excuses. I really hate that. When you’re wrong you’re wrong. Just admit it. ‘You can only be late if you didn’t finish the things you have to do in the amount you were given and you weren’t able to finish it in that time because you were wasting your time with something else.’ Youngmin says. Kwangmin looks up, squeezing his eyes together and pouting his lips. His ‘I don’t even know what you’re talking about but I’m trying to understand’ face is still cute…

‘I don’t really get it. I don’t like being late but running in the hallway is something people are used to from me. The only person I’ve ever ran into is the president but that’s because she always quickly jumps out from the corner to surprise me and to make me scared.

I don’t know if this is giving an excuse or the truth. Youngmin  shrugs. ‘This is all unimportant. Good luck with the signature collecting. Give them to me in seven days.’

‘Hyung?’

‘Yes?’

‘Could we maybe… meet before that?’

‘No.’

‘Just to talk?’

Youngmin turns around. Finally losing his last bit of self-control. ‘Listen. We are not in that kind of relationship. I am a Paran student and you are a Jiso student. We are rivals, especially in the deal we just made. I’m not going to be friendly with you, no, I don’t want to be.’ Youngmin says coldly. It fades when he sees Kwangmin’s face. It’s a mix of a shocked and hurt expression. ‘Alright then.’ He says after a long silence. Youngmin nods and they both bow before Youngmin leaves the room.

 

~

Kwangmin walks towards one of the desks in the classroom and drops down on the chair. ‘I never thought I would meet hyung like this.’ Kwangmin whispers while looking at the ceiling. He’s really mean… but kind of handsome. He must’ve really hated me. I should have told him I went to Jiso high because of the tuition fee. I’m such an idiot! I really hate this. It’s hard competing with hyung… it’s hard to win too.

 

~

‘What’s with the signature collecting?’ The student council president asks, really annoyed. Youngmin bites his lower lip. The stares of the other members burn on his back. ‘Don’t worry. As I told you earlier we are deciding if the rule will be removed or not. They haven’t said that if they have a certain amount we will get rid of the rule.’ Youngmin explains. The president’s expression turns brighter and the weight on Youngmin’s shoulders is  slowly disappearing. ‘Very good. That means that even if they give us more than 1000 autographs we will still be able to say it’s not enough. That means it’s a certain win for Paran right?’

‘Yes, president.’ Youngmin says. ‘It will go into the history books of our school. Paran high school is still smarter and stronger than those dimwits at Jiso. They will realize soon enough, why we are the best.'