A Chance To Meet Often

Tied By a Thin Thread

Chapter 29: A Chance To Meet Often

Youngmin can’t help sighing when a huge pile of paper is thrown on his desk by the vice president. It’s been two days since he and the others returned from Jeju island and his tasks seem to have doubled in those days too.

‘What is this?’ He asks. His eyes widen as he opens the documents. The vice president takes his seat. ‘The athletic competition against Jiso and Uta is coming up. It needs to be prepared.’ He explains. Youngmin nods as he flips through the documents. ‘It’s at Uta. It won’t be much work then.’ He announces but the vice president, who is Youngmin’s sunbae, shakes his head. ‘Don’t underestimate it. Teams have to be made, we have to provide food and all those things for the whole school. It takes a lot of time. We’ll probably need the whole student body to work on this.’ Youngmin is surprised but as he starts reading he sees a lot needs to be done just as he was told just now. He never realized how much work was done as he was just another student only participating in the games.

It’s going to be a long day. He thinks, sighing.

 

~

‘JO KWANGMIN! This is president Hyunyoung. Could you come to the student council classroom. HURRY UP YOU USELESS IDIOT!’

The whole class bursts out into laughter. Kwangmin sends the homeroom teacher a sheepish smile and quickly gets up.

He goes through the hallway towards the student council and knocks on the door. Hyunyoung’s strong voice can be clearly heard from the other side of the door. ‘Come in.’ Kwangmin opens the door and enters. ‘What can I do for you?’ He asks. Hyunyoung is sitting behind a desk and points at the chair on the other side. ‘Take a seat first.’ Kwangmin does as she says and sits down.

‘You know the sports competition between us, Uta and Paran is coming up right?’

‘Of course I know.’ Kwangmin says. Hyunyoung nods with satisfaction. ‘Good. Very good.’ She mumbles to herself. ‘Why?’

‘I really don’t want to do it this year. So I’ll leave it to you.’ She says with a bright smile. Kwangmin immediately jumps up from his chair. ‘WHAT? How can you say that? You’re the president!’ He yells. Hyunyoung watches his outburst with amusement in her eyes. ‘You know the pride of our school depends on this competition. How can the president be too lazy to prepare for it?’

‘Well. As you know I am in my final year right now. I won’t be the president next year. When I was thinking about someone who would be stupid enough to follow me in my footsteps you were the first person that came to my mind.’ She says. Kwangmin, a bit taken aback by her words looks down at her in shock. ‘Me? President? But you always call me a useless idiot!’ Before he knows it Hyunyoung is on her feet and has her face so close to his that their noses almost touch. ‘Because you are a useless idiot. I really want you to amaze me before I graduate Jo Kwangmin.’ She hisses. ‘If you are able to prepare for the sports competition and our school wins, I’ll make you the president of Jiso high school.’

‘And why would I want to do that?’

‘Until now, there are already 8 meetings planned with the president from Uta and Paran high.’ Kwangmin’s ears turn red from her words. ‘You can see your brother a lot if you take the job and even more if you become the president. Just saying.’ Hyunyoung says casually. Kwangmin lets out the breath he’s been holding when she moves her face away from him. ‘You’re one hell of a cute useless kid Jo Kwangmin.’ Kwangmin wants to say something but the words won’t come out when he sees Hyunyoung smiling at him. Her eyes looking distant compared to the sharp look he’s always been used to. It’s the first time it hits him. He has been working for Hyunyoung. He has already been in the student council for two years, under Hyunyoung’s own guidance. He never thought he would miss the tough president that tripped him in the hallway at least 2 times a week but now he feels like he’s even going to miss small things like that she did to . He realizes it’s an honour. She’s entrusting the important title of president to him.

‘I won’t let you down president. Seeing Youngmin hyung is just a nice bonus.’ He says to himself.

 

~

‘How is the volleyball team doing, Seungcheol?’

‘The girls are like beasts. They’ll definitely beat Uta but I’m not sure about winning Paran high school.’

‘Really? Is the team willing to practice more after school?’ Kwangmin asks, looking through the other predictions of matches.

‘They are already practicing until right before the cafeteria closes at night. It’s no good to train them right after dinner.’

‘True. Let’s just say we lose to Paran in men’s volleyball to play it safe.’

‘Kwangmin hyung, is it true you can become president if the school wins the athletic competition?’ Junhui, a member of the basketball team asks. ‘Yes, that’s true.’ Kwangmin admits. The room full of participants is quiet for a while but then one of the girls speaks up. ‘Let’s win this. If it’s Kwangmin oppa the school will be fine.’

‘Really?’ Kwangmin asks. The others nod. ‘Just look at Hyunyoung sunbaenim. She may have some problems with her temper but that makes her perfect as Jiso high school’s president. You’re also a bit… clumsy. But we don’t want a perfect president, hyung.’ Junhui says. Kwangmin smiles. ‘Thanks. I’ll work hard so we can win.’

 

~

‘Because of the rainy weather we decided on doing most sports indoors. The snack bars will be in the hallways.’ Youngmin says.

‘It’s a shame fall came early this year. Having sports outside is always much better.’ Junghwa says, the president of Uta high school.

‘About the dance competition, I saw that you are competing.’ Kwangmin says, looking at Junghwa. The girl smiles a gummy smile. ‘Uhm. I was nominated by the other students. I have no idea if I’ll win though. I heard No Minwoo is your representative.’ She answers him. Kwangmin nods with pride.

‘Just do a y dance and you’ll get all the votes from the Paran students.’ Youngmin interrupts. Kwangmin immediately watches his brother, annoyed by his comment. Junghwa lets out a proud, happy laugh. ‘Probably not. I’m not that good!’

‘I’ve seen your audition video for the club. You’re amazing at y dancing.’ Youngmin says, not noticing the flames in Kwangmin’s eyes.

‘Omo, how could they spread those things? But thank you, I’m gaining confidence.’

They finish their meeting and then finish.

‘I’ll see the three of you on the day of the competition.’ She says before bowing and leaving.

 

‘What was that?’ Kwangmin asks, when they’re the only ones left. ‘What?’ Youngmin asks.

‘Why did you watch a video of her dancing? Do you like her or something?’

‘Of course not. Some guys in my class were watching it. She’s really good so watch your back.’

 

~

She clenches her fist. Why is his brother even jealous. She will show him who he should be jealous of. She will show him that Youngmin is hers.

 

~

‘So you’re saying Minwoo can’t beat that chopstick?’ Kwangmin asks. ‘Yah, don’t call people with weird names Jo Kwangmin.’ Youngmin says. ‘Shut up! Shouldn’t you take our side? Isn’t Minwoo your friend too?!’ Kwangmin yells, completely annoyed.

‘I was just saying the truth, she’s good and it’s definitely possible she beats Minwoo. By the way, it’s a competition so why should I take your side? Shouldn’t I be taking Paran’s side?!’

‘SO YOU’RE SAYING YOUR PRESIDENT POSITION IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN ME?!’ Kwangmin yells. Youngmin who is just as mad grabs him by the arms. ‘THIS IS NOT ABOUT YOU! THIS WASN’T ABOUT YOU FROM THE BEGINNING!’

 

‘Iinchõ!’ The voice from the other side of the hallway startles both of them and they quickly pull away from each other, both turning their head  away. From the corner a first year appears and she runs towards them without hesitation.

‘Moriya-san. What’s wrong?’ Youngmin asks. ‘Are you done with your meeting? I was studying for the English test but there are some things I don’t understand. Could you help me out.’

‘Ah, of course. My meeting is done so I’ll give you a hand.’

‘Thank you very much.’ Yukari says, bowing 90 degrees. She then wraps her arms around Youngmin’s arm and pulls him into the student council office.

 

‘See you at the competition Kwangmin.’ Youngmin says. He’s surprised when Kwangmin looks up at them. His eyes look cold and distant. Youngmin doesn’t realize the hateful look Yukira sends to Kwangmin as he’s pushed into the room first.

 

~

Kwangmin wipes the tears from his eyes before leaving the school. He walks towards the bus stop. He turns around when he hears someone walking up on him.

‘Donghyun hyung!’ He says, completely surprised. Donghyun smiles but then his expression immediately turns worried. ‘What happened? Did you cry?’ He asks, scanning Kwangmin’s red eyes. Kwangmin quickly shakes his head. ‘I’m fine. I just fought about nothing with Youngmin hyung that’s all.’

‘About nothing?’ Donghyun asks, raising one eyebrow in suspicion. Kwangmin nods. ‘You know how siblings fight over nothing.’

‘Lovers also fight over nothing.’ Donghyun says, expecting a funny startled Kwangmin but the other shrughs. ‘I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s already cheating on me.’

‘What the heck are you saying? Youngmin likes you a lot, he would never do that to you.’ Donghyun says. Kwangmin looks up, the tears in his eyes. ‘You really think so?’ He asks, his voice weak. The other nods. ‘Yes. Believe in Youngmin a bit.’

‘But… but… a lot of girls like him and I’m just me. I’m just a clumsy guy that has to win the athletic competition for Jiso te become president and to see him more often.’ He whines.

‘You’re doing what?!’ Donghyun asks, totally surprised. Kwangmin keeps on crying, nodding slightly. ‘I didn’t hear about that.’

‘It’s… a secret.’ Kwangmin says through his crying. Donghyun isn’t sure if he should sigh or laugh. ‘You’re really admirable Kwangmin. I didn’t know a person would go that far for someone.’ He says. Kwangmin laughs as he dries his tears. ‘You know my only talent is stalking hyung.’ He says. Donghyun walks towards Kwangmin and puts an arm around his shoulder. ‘You and I both know you can do much more than that. Don’t worry Kwangmin. Now I have even more of a reason to vote for Minwoo at the dance competition. I won’t play as well in my soccer game either. I hope Jiso wins.’

‘Thank you, hyung.’

 

______________________________________________________________________________________________

I AM SO SORRYYYY!

Hello everyone,

I have been gone for a while right? I was in Japan and after that some things happened that also took me a lot of time and work.

Thank you to everyone that has waited for me. I hope I will live up to your expectations with the upcoming chapters ^^