A Problematic Blind Date

Tied By a Thin Thread

Chapter 3: A Problematic Blind Date

Beep beep beep beep-

Kwangmin watches the time through his half opened eyes. Five o’clock. I never got up this early before. He thinks to himself before throwing the blanket of him.

It has already been 3 days since he met Youngmin again and they made the signature collecting bet. Since then, he wakes up early and does his student council tasks in the morning and he collects signatures in the afternoon. Even though he thought it was going to be hard he is surprised by the amount of signatures he collected already. 70 from the students of Jiso high. Hyunseong has been going around at Paran high in secret and has around 60 now. Jeongmin who gets along with boys and girls (don’t forget he also really likes Hyunseong so he worked really hard) collected around 200 signatures.

This is just the start though. Jiso and Paran both have 800 students. I promised Hyunseong hyung and Jeongmin hyung I would help them so I’ll work as hard as possible.

 

He changes his clothes and gathers his stuff. When he opens the door he sees Minwoo is also leaving.

‘You’re early today.’ Kwangmin says. ‘I promised I would help you to collect signatures at Uta high today right? I’m going to practice before school.’ Minwoo says with a cute smile. Kwangmin laughs. ‘Thank you for helping me. I can only count on Jeongmin and Hyunseong in their areas.’ He says. ‘Don’t worry hyung, I support you. But really, I didn’t expect you and your brother to look that alike. Jeongmin hyung says you’re personality are total opposites though.’

‘That’s not true. We aren’t that different. I feel like my brother is really mad at me.’

‘Why?’

‘I don’t really want to talk about it. Not with him either.’

‘So… you’re putting up a wall?’

‘YAH! I was very courageous three days ago. I asked him if we could meet but he just said… well… yeah.’

‘He probably thought you forgot he was mad at you and that’s why he didn’t want to talk. You can solve any misunderstanding.’

Kwangmin lowers his head. ‘Uhm.’ When he looks up he’s smiling brightly at Minwoo again. ‘I have a lot of work to do. See you after school!’ Minwoo’s worried expression changes into a smile again. ‘Got it hyung!’

Kwangmin turns his back and quickly sprints through the hallway. This is a misunderstanding I can’t solve on my own. I don’t have that courage…

 

~

Youngmin is studying in the library. He looks up from his book when someone taps the cover with a pen.

‘What is it Donghyun hyung?’ He whispers.

‘The other guys in class invited me for a blind date with some girls in Uta. Want to tag along?’

‘I’m busy.’ Youngmin says, ignoring Donghyun’s pleading puppy eyes. Donghyun pouts. ‘Don’t be like that. You’re super popular. If you don’t go the girls won’t like us.’

‘You’re also popular hyung.’ Youngmin says. ‘But it’s boring to be on my own and Hyunseong can’t leave the dorms because of the incident.’

‘That’s not my problem but alright, I’ll go with you.’ I should also have fun once in a while.

‘YES!’ Donghyun shouts. Youngmin can’t help laughing out loud. Before the two know it the student in charge of the library is in front of them. ‘You’re disturbing others.’

‘We’re sorry.’ They both say. Youngmin quickly picks up his books and leaves together with Donghyun.

 

After a whole day of exercising, student council work and school Youngmin is normally exhausted but he’s actually kind of excited to go out. The girls from Uta don’t really matter but it’s just a good feeling to go out for once in a while. Forgetting about your worries for a bit can be fun.

Youngmin changes from his uniform into casual clothes. When was the last time I felt this good? Youngmin thinks. Before he knows it the image of Kwangmin, smiling at him three days ago, pops into his head. I won’t see him again right? It’s okay like that… right?

Youngmin jumps up in surprise when the door is thrown open. ‘Let’s go!’ Donghyun says. Youngmin nods and takes his sunglasses. ‘Let’s go!’

 

~

After his last class is finished Kwangmin gathers his stuff.

‘Kwangmin oppa, want to hang out with me today?’ One of the girls asks. Kwangmin smiles. Before he’s able to answer her he’s already surround by a few other male classmates. ‘I’m sorry but he can’t. He’s going to hang with us, right?’ One of them asks. ‘I’m sorry but I will have to decline all of you. I already have plans.’ Kwangmin says with an apologetic smile.

‘Why ~ ?!’ The girl whines.

‘I have to do my student council work.’

‘Because of Jeongmin? He’s the guy in the video I heard.’ The guy that interrupted earlier says laughing.

‘That’s not true!’ The girl screams, almost horrified.

‘Everyone thinks so.’ The other defends himself. ‘You’re just jealous because Jeongmin oppa is much cuter and more handsome than you.’ The girl attacks back. Kwangmin puts his hands up to stop them from saying any more.

‘There is no use in fighting about it. Nobody knows and nobody is supposed to know.’

‘But you know it right, oppa?’ The girl asks, her eyes begging him to say it’s not Jeongmin. Even though Kwangmin is good at lying when making excuses he’s not able to fulfil her wish. Let’s use another lie then. ‘I didn’t see the video so I don’t know.’ Kwangmin says before waving and leaving the classroom.

 

Kwangmin enters Minwoo’s classroom. A few girls immediately walk op to him.

‘Kwangmin sunbaenim!’ One girl screams. ‘Who are you looking for?’ Another one asks in a such faked cute voice Kwangmin could throw up.

‘I’m looking for Minwoo.’

‘He already left.’ The first girl says. At least she talks normally. ‘Really? Then he probably forgot about me.’

‘Want to hang out with me instead then?’ Another girl screams at the other end of the classroom. The remaining students in the room laugh and Kwangmin laughs along. ‘I’m sorry but I really want to go on a date with Minwoo today.’

The girls scream happily, probably fantasising a bit too much and the guys either laugh or look shocked. ‘He went to practice dancing.’ The girl near the window says, sending him off with a wink. ‘Thank you.’ Kwangmin says, returning her gesture before leaving the classroom.

 

He only has to take the stairs, turn left and he’s in front of the dance practice room. when he opens the door he can see only a few people practicing. Minwoo is in the back going through a few moves in steps.

Kwangmin walks towards him. ‘Oh hyung! You’re finally coming to practice?’ Minwoo asks excited.

‘No I’m not. You were going to help me with collecting signatures, remember?’ Kwangmin asks. ‘Ah! That’s right! I totally forgot…’ Minwoo says, laughing cutely in embarrassment.

‘Collecting signatures for what?’ The person behind them asks. Kwangmin takes the paper out of his bag and gives it to him.

‘Ah. For the rule at Paran high. Why are you doing this?’

‘I’m in charge of affairs and because of the dating rumour came out I want to get rid of the trouble. If a Paran and Jiso high student date they both get in trouble. That doesn’t make any sense to me so I made a bet with the Paran council member in charge of affairs.’ Kwangmin explains.

‘I’ll sign it for you. my sister likes a guy at Paran. They’re actually dating in secret right now. It’s so stupid! I’ll support you.’ The boy says. ‘Thank you!’ Kwangmin says sincerely, taking out a pen.

‘Me too!’ Another person in the room says. This time it’s a girl. Before Kwangmin knows it everyone in the practice room is gathered around them to sign they’re name.

Minwoo, standing behind Kwangmin nods in satisfaction. ‘It’s going well. I hope the girls at Uta high school will also help out.’

 

~

‘They’re here!’ A table full of guys scream when Youngmin and Donghyun enter the café. ‘Aren’t the girls here yet?’ Donghyun asks.

‘In 5 minutes. Take a seat.’ The two of them do as told and they chat a bit. A little after 7 girls arrive in casual, spring like clothing. They all order a drink and then play a game to decide the seating. Youngmin chats with the girls he ends up next to. The conversations are really simple but pleasant. Sometimes the most boring conversations can be fun if you are with good company. Youngmin thanks. It’s good I came.

 

~

‘Let’s take a break.’ Kwangmin says after a full hour of signature collecting. Minwoo’s hopes came true. The girls of Uta high school were all very supportive and most people they asked signed their name. Some girls even wrote messages next to they’re signature with reasons why they had signed it. Other girls signed it, saying they would definitely support them but Kwangmin bets they were used as eye candy for those girls and they just wanted to fetch his or Minwoo’s number.

‘Should we get a cold drink at the café?’ Minwoo asks. He points towards the building on the other side of the street. Kwangmin nods.

 

~

The door of the café opens and without meaning to, Youngmin looks away from the girl he’s talking to. His eyes widen when he sees Kwangmin, happily talking with another boy walking next to him. Before Youngmin knows it Kwangmin’s eyes have switched towards his and they’re looking straight at each other.

 

~

‘What’s wrong hyung?’ Minwoo's voice suddenly seems distant. Kwangmin is completely frozen. He’s not sure if he should go towards him. Even if he goes, what could he say?

‘We are not in that kind of relationship. I am a Paran student and you are a Jiso student. We are rivals, especially in the deal we just made. I’m not going to be friendly with you, no, I don’t want to be.’

Kwangmin quickly averts his gaze to the ground and then to Minwoo. ‘It’s nothing. What do you want? It’s my treat today!’

‘Really?! Hyung saranghae~’ Minwoo says making a heart sign. ‘Can I have ice cream then?’ Kwangmin pats Minwoo on his head. ‘Of course.’