Chapter Six

Intertwined

 

 

Two weeks had passed since So Min’s and Ji Hoo’s marriage was announced, and now, So Min was working steadily as Ji Hoo’s intern. However, Ji Hoo still hasn’t proposed, and So Min still hasn’t said yes yet. It seems that Grandpa Yoon’s word has slip their minds since they seem to be working twenty four seven.

“Damn… these glares… does Ga Eul and Jan Di always receive them?”So Min sympathized for her friends because now she is under the same uncomfortable stares. This was the first time Ji Hoo allowed her to actually come observe his surgery in the actual room and not through the glass room above the operation room. However, she wasn’t the only one who was observing, many other doctors’ intern was also observing next to her. “They’re not even observing the surgery. It’s so obvious that the one they’re observing is not the poor man with a tumor, but me. Am I some kind of rare species to them or something,” she thought to herself and forced her eyes to continue to stare at the lifeless body being opened and stitched back up.

After finishing the last part of the surgery, Ji Hoo looked up and smiled at So Min. So Min could only smile weakly back as the glares turned into daggers. If looks could kill, she would have been the one under the knife trying to be saved.

“How was it?” he asked as they walked back together to his office to allow him to get some rest.

“It was interesting,” she lied. She couldn’t even focus on most of the surgery because so many stares were on her instead of the process of surgery.

He laughed and opened the door to allow her in first. “No, I meant the feeling of being stared at all the time,” he said. The many glances towards his fiancé from the female staff didn’t go unnoticed during the surgery.

She groaned and fell to rest on the couch while he loosens his tie and sat at his desk. “Do you even have to ask that?”

He chuckled. “She never seems to bore me,” he thought and realize that every moment that she was around him, he laughed a lot more and spoke more too. “That is just something you’re going to have to get used to. The glares will slowly disappear once they find a new target.”

She rested her head on the top part of the couch and asked, “When would that be?”

He put on his nonchalant poker face again and shrugged. “I don’t know.”

She rolled her eyes as she saw through his façade. “Oh wow! That sure helps,” she said with heavy sarcasm but with a smile. “He never fails to make me smile no matter what,” she thought.

He smiled and got up to the get to the kitchen which was on the side of his mini living room. He passed by her and ruffled her hair before making his way to make some coffee. “It’s okay. You’ll learn to ignore and get use to it. Jan Di and Ga Eul did.”

She got up to follow him and took the coffee cup away from him. “Rest,” she commanded. “Coffee isn’t needed at this time,” she said and pushed him toward his working desk to get to his bed.

“You’re beginning to act like a wife already,” he joked and listened to her and climbed on to bed and tucked himself in as he watches her stand with her arm crossed and rolling her eyes. They didn’t take this marriage thing very seriously because they seem to keep teasing each other about it. However, they can’t lie that the thought of being married to each other isn’t as bad as marrying a complete stranger that they don’t even enjoy their presence. 

“Well, you still haven’t proposed, so that means no wifey for you,” she joked back. “Alright, go to sleep. I’ll wake you up when your next surgery is in need of you,” she said and walk back to her rightful spot on the couch. Even thought Ji Hoo lives in the hospital, So Min doesn’t. She goes back to her apartment when Ji Hoo says there is no more work for her to do.

“She’s right. I completely forgot about the proposal,” Ji Hoo thought as her voice rang in his ears. “Do I really have to kneel down on one knee?” he wondered. Ji Hoo may be Prince Charming of the group, but he is far off from being Prince Charming from Cinderella. He was the Prince Charming of the 4th dimension.

After his last surgery which ended around 8 at night, he sent So Min home and decided to return to his actual home too. He didn’t have to work second shift in the hospital tonight and even if there was an emergency, there were plenty of doctors and intern in the hospital tonight to take care of most things. Instead of going straight home after dropping So Min off at her apartment, he went down to F4 Lounge because he knew that tonight the guys would be there without the girls. By the time Ji Hoo got there, Yi Jeong and Woo Bin were entertaining themselves by playing a round of pool while Jun Pyo use finally able to play some video games with the nagging of his secretary and wife.

“Yo! Look who’s finally here,” Woo Bin’s gangster voice said, a voice that Ji Hoo actually missed hearing.

Yi Jeong smiled at his friend and gave him a nice brotherly hug for they haven’t seen each other in a while and Ji Hoo took his seat in the available couch next to Jun Pyo.

“You know Ji Hoo, I like your wife. Thanks to her presence, Jan Di’s work load has lessened and all transferred to you and So Min-shi,” Jun Pyo said happily.

“No wonder why So Min and I have been working nonstop,” Ji Hoo thought. He wasn’t angry as his friend, but his friend was sure as hell greedy. “Hmm,” was all that he replied.

The mentioning of So Min caught Woo Bin’s and Yi Jeong’s attention; therefore, they joined Jun Pyo and Ji Hoo at the sofas. “Speaking of So Min-shi, when is your marriage date?”

Ji Hoo looked at Yi Jeong and instead of answering his question; he asked back, “What about you and Ga Eul-yang? You proposed already.” Now the table was turned, even before Yi Jeong could get anywhere with interrogating Ji Hoo.

However, Yi Jeong smoothly got himself out, “Our wedding is set for a year from now,” he stated. Right now, there was too much chaos in his family for an actual wedding to take place.

Then the attention went back to Ji Hoo. “Man, you gotta get the girl young! She ain’t got a whole life time for you to propose. Her personal life is already ruined by you. No guy would want to date her because she is already taken by a F4 guy,” Woo Bin explained.

With that, Ji Hoo was reminded as to why he wanted to come to the F4 lounge in the first place. He wanted to find inspiration to propose to her. He doesn’t want it to be romantic for say because it was an arranged marriage after all, but at the same time, he doesn’t want it to be too shabby to make her feel neglected. “You can’t just have it all can you?” Ji Hoo thought to himself. “I know that, but…”

Jun Pyo busted out laughing hysterically. “How can a 4 dimension guy propose?!”

Yi Jeong rolled his eyes, “Well then how did a perm-headed hot hand propose?” he taunted while backing up his odd friend.

Jun Pyo shut up and sulked while Woo Bin could only laugh. He realizes that slowly, one by one, F4 members are starting to propose. First Jun Pyo at the beach, then Yi Jeong, but who knows how he did it. “Knowing him, he probably took her somewhere really really private so that Mrs. Gu Jan Di can’t find them,” Woo Bin thought. And finally, it is Ji Hoo’s turn. “I am going to take a wild guess and say you need help purposing to Ms. So Min.”

Ji Hoo stayed silent not wanting admit it.

Woo Bin and Yi Jeong high-fived each other while Jun Pyo scoffed and said, “What kind of guy don’t know how to propose to a girl?”

Yi Jeong rolled his eyes and ignored his friend. “Ji Hoo, you have to get her to be alone with you and at the right moment, you pop the question.”

“She’s always alone with me… when is the right moment?”Ji Hoo wondered as he recalled her spending time in his office working, having idle chats, laughing and eating together.

“No, no, no! You’re going about it all wrong!” Jun Pyo disagreed. “Get to the beach and propose to her. Beach proposals are 85% successful,” he said as he remembered how greatly he proposed to his wife a little more than a year ago.

Once again, eyes were rolled at his comments. “No man, you gotta do it with smoothness,” Woo Bin said while raising his brows up and down.

Ji Hoo sighed in defeat. “We are all too different,” he thought. “No, I’ll do it my own way.”

Yi Jeong shrugged. He never did understand what is going on in a 4 dimensional minded person anyways. “How much was the ring?”

Ji Hoo looked up in surprised. “What?”

“The ring,” Woo Bin repeated for Yi Jeong.

Ji Hoo looked back at them with a blank expression.

Jun Pyo’s voiced went up a little louder. “The damn ring, Ji Hoo! How much was it?”

“Please don’t tell me you still haven’t bought it yet,” Yi Jeong’s voice full of disapproval.

Woo Bin started laughing at the poor and clueless Ji Hoo. “Before proposing, you gotta have a nice fine ring, man! Even I know that!”

“But I don’t even know her ring size,” he muttered back.

F3 can only air and sighed in defeat of their unromantic best friend. All three of them can only think, “I can only feel sorry for So Min who will have to live with him.”

The next morning, Ji Hoo went to pick So Min up for work. They greeted each other with their usual smiles and regular fun chats on their way to work together.

“Hey, this isn’t the way to the hospital,” So Min commented as she realized that they were going the opposite direction of the hospital.

“Yeah, I know. I already called into to hospital and told them that we will be a little bit late,” Ji Hoo responded and continued to drive to his destination.

“Where are we going?” she asked.

He didn’t answer and so she just sat quietly and waited. They stopped at one of the most exclusive Tiffany & Co. shop at Seoul. She didn’t question him but continues to follow him into the shop that was absolutely barren with only one two or three sales ladies there waiting for them. She was literally blinded by the bright lights that reflected off the expensive diamonds.

He stopped as he observed her. “Diamonds are women’s best friends right?” he wondered as he looked at So Min’s stunned face.

“What are we doing here?” she finally asked as she tried to restrain herself from wanting all these beautiful jewelry in front of her.

“I am proposing,” he said with his usual blank expression.

“Proposing?”she asked back with confusion.

He didn’t answer and started walked toward a section of the rings. “I didn’t know your ring size, so I thought it would be better if I took you with me buying your ring. I also don’t know what kind of ring you like, but I already took the honor of choosing,” he said and pointed to a ring and told the sales lady to take it out for him. He picked up the shiny ring to observe it while So Min stood beside him staring too.

The ring was absolutely breath taking. The band was a little too thick for her liking, but the ring was just too magnificent to be rejected. The diamonds were neatly cut and placed together to form multiple flowers set together in a line that goes around the ring shape. It was made from platinum with marquise diamonds.

“This is the ring I chose. What do you think?” he turned to ask So Min who was still trying to gape for air as she saw the price tag that she saw on the box of the ring.

“Ummm… don’t you think the band is a little too big?” she asked. One, it was the truth, and two; she wanted to find a cheaper ring.

He frowned. “Do you not like it? I thought that bigger the band is the better because we both are doctors and if I get you a small banded ring, it would be really hard to find if you lose it in the hospital,” he said.

“Yeah, and buying a ring that is worth around $14,500 and a little bigger will make a big difference whether I lose it or not,”she thought sarcastically. “It’s not that, but really, it’s just an engagement ring. There really is no need for such a big ring. It’s the wedding band that is important.”

He thought about it for a second, “The wedding bands are being ordered by my grandfather,” he answered then stuck the ring on her ring finger. It fitted her like a glove. “Well, since it fits you perfectly why not just get it now instead of going through the trouble of finding a different ring and wait for it to be made in your size,” he said grinning.

She looked at the overly expensive ring on her finger with a shocked expression. “But- but this is just too…” she trailed off as she realizes that the ring was absolutely beautiful and she didn’t have the heart to reject it.

He smiles. “We’ll take this ring,” he informed one of the sale ladies.

“Young Master Yoon, you made a very wise choice. This is our Victoria Band Ring; I am sure that Mrs. Yoon is very pleased,” she said professionally even though deep inside she was extremely jealous of So Min.

So Min could only smile uneasily. “Please, we’re not married yet.”

He gave the lady his credit card and took a hold of his So Min’s hand to observe the ring on her little finger. “Very nice,” he commented. “Keep it on.”

“What kind of proposal was this?” she muttered as she also looked at the ring on her finger. She didn’t really know what to expect when she was thinking of a proposal by Yoon Ji Hoo, but this kind of proposal seems… very… out of the ordinary, because it was not cliché, romantic, or spontaneous, not like a usual proposal, not that she didn’t like it. He just took her to a store, bought her a ring, slipped it on her finger, and now they are bound to be married. 

He pretended not hear that and dragged her out the store and into the car to go back to the hospital to work. Every girls’ dream to have a memorable engagement, So Min definitely has one because it was just so… ordinary, but at the same time not because this proposal will never be done by any other guy unless he is something like Ji Hoo and in the same situation as them.