Chapter Four

Intertwined

 

The pain felt like a million rocks being thrown at his face. He felt his body crashing to the hard concrete walk way of the garden. “Damn, so this was what it felt like to Jun Pyo when Jan Di gave him a kick,” he thought as he felt the pain shoot throughout his body and his face awfully pained by the sudden feet to face impact.

“That will teach you to answer someone when they ask you a question, and I hope that it will teach you not to laugh at others,” her voice said with the same dignity Jan Di had when she kicked Jun Pyo, but to him, this girl’s voice was even stronger than Jan Di’s and even more dignified. She stalked off without helping him up.

He chuckled quietly fearing that she will turn around and give her leg another swing at him. He dusted off the dirt from his pants and rubbed his jaws trying to sooth the burning pain while following her back inside.

“Blah, I have to play bad guy this time,” she thought as she entered the living room with loud thumping of her feet to indicate to her step mother and half sister mission is accomplished and to indicate that the outing in the garden did not go well.

“Honey-” her father said but it was obvious that she doesn’t respond to that.

“I refuse to marry him-”

She was cut off by him. “The First Young Missy of the Jung family is indeed someone special,” he commented with a smile on his face even though his face was a little swollen from her kick.

Grandpa Yoon and Master Jung smiled pleasingly while Jang Mi gave So Min a what the hell look on her face while her mother forced out a distort smile. “Good, good!”

“I-”

Once again cut off by Ji Hoo. “Miss Jung and I would like to go out for now. Mr. Jung, I will return her home safely,” he reassured the father first because he knew very well that rich girls were daddy’s little girls.

As though So Min knew what he was thinking, “There is no need for that. I don’t live here. I have my own place,” she let the fact that he was interrupting her and ruining her plans to avoid him slide. “Seeing the witch’s face and her daughter’s unhappy expression is just too funny to give up now,” she thought gleefully. “Maybe Unnie, Jan Di, and Ga Eul were right, Ji Hoo seems to be the prince charming of the group… in his old silent ways.” Before she knew it, he dragged her out of her father’s house and into his white fancy sports car.

She sat in silence while carefully observing him during her ride to where ever he was taking her. He looked over at her and gave her one of his you’re an odd kid look that he first gave Jan Di.

“I am not Jan Di-ah, you know,” she finally said as she remembered how she had kicked him and how Jan Di kicked Jun Pyo and now has become his wife.

Surprised and curious of how she would know Jan Di and her special kick like that, “How do you know about that?”

She gasped quietly and turned away to look out the window as he continue to stare at her while paying attention to the road. “Oh ! I just gave myself away! Now what do I say? He’s going to start to ask questions!”

“It’s okay if you don’t want to tell me,” he said feeling her sudden unease. He was always good at prying things so she isn’t an exception. He has patience.

“Look… Ji Hoo-shi, I don’t know you and you don’t know me. I don’t want to marry someone unwillingly and I am sure you are the same way,” she said getting back to the main point.

He turned and looked at her with an unreadable expression. “You’re not really the First Young Missy of the Jung house hold are you?”

She frowned. “Why do you say that?” She never accepted that title, but she was curious as to why this man is asking such a strange question.

“You’re like a friend of mine, Ga Eul-yang, she doesn’t seem to believe in arranged marriages either and usually that comes from commoner people,” he said.

“Where are we going?” she asked changing the subject. She should really use the knowledge that she has of him to her advantage. She should have known that Ji Hoo was a sharp man who catches littlest things as Ga Eul and Jan Di said.

“To the hospital, I have to get back for a surgery in a couple of hour. I’m going to rest.”

“Then why did you take me with you?” she asked controlling her confusion.

“It seems as though you wanted to get out of the house. Your sister and mother don’t seem to be very fond of you while your father is quite fond of you, but you don’t seem to return that fondness with the same enthusiasm,” he noted.

“Damn, too observant,”she thought. “You’re right,” she was finally opening up to him. “But knowing your status, you can have a background check on me in like five minutes.”

He laughed at her comment. “How is it that you seem to know so much about me? Is it maybe because you actually like me but just want to play hard to get?” he joked remembering how Jun Pyo came to that wild conclusion after Jan Di kicked him.

She also laughed at his comment. She couldn’t help but grow fond of him already. He was after all Jan Di’s prince charming and she knew she had the upper hand of knowing so much about him already. “You got a sense of humor,” she said. “So you’re a doctor?” she asked even though she already knew that fact since he works with Jan Di.

“You know that already,” he stated. “What are you then?”

She smiled at him. “Yeah, I do know that. Well, I don’t have a job yet but I do have my doctor degree,” she said proudly.  “If only, hospitals have more openings,” she added sadly.

“Keeping her around might be fun,” he thought and chuckled. “Well, if the First Young Missy of the Jung family doesn’t mind, I can offer you a job at St. John’s Hospital,” he said mocking her long title.

Her eyes sparkled like a little child who has seen a place made from candy. “You’re joking right?! I love St. John’s Hospital! It’s just that it doesn’t seem to be in need of extra doctors,” she said sadly.

He parked his car in his reserved parking space and then scratched his head in response. “You’re right; we don’t need doctors right now. However, there seems to be in need of a lot of intern doctors. After your term of being an intern doctor, you will be an official doctor of St. John’s Hospital,” he got out the car about to go around to her side to open her car door but she beat him to it.

She got out and smiled. “I have hands and feet,” she winked.

He laughed and started walking towards the hospital entrance while she followed right next to him. “If you want the job, I can talk to the dean of the hospital and ask for you,” he offered and holds the door open for her.

“Thanks, and yes I would love that,” she nodded enthusiastically followed him into the hospital. “However, I don’t want you to mention anything about my family,” she added.

“Deal,” he said not questioning her. He entered his office and he could already imagine her face.

“This is… an office?” her voice amazed while her eyes wandered around the place. The white wall didn’t seem as dull because of his black colored bed frame and black furniture.

He shrugged and took of his jacket and hooked it on the hanger. “I basically live here.”

“I can see why. Just the size where your bed stays is bigger than my own apartment!”

This comment from her intrigued his curiosity again. “How is it that my bedroom would be bigger than your apartment? Wouldn’t be the young missy of the Jung family would live a life of luxury?”

She laughed. “Not really. My life is just complicated.”

They continue their small chat while laughing at each other’s response. What Ji Hoo has forgotten was to lower his blinds. All the single nurses and female doctors peered through his window to take a look. Gossip travels fast at St. John’s Hospital because soon Jan Di was also one of the females to peer through Ji Hoo’s office. She saw her best friend talking to her best friend!

“What the hell is going on?!” Jan Di asked herself and decided to let her presence be known. She pushed people out of her way and knocked on his door and as soon as she heard Ji Hoo’s voice said ‘come in’ she pushed opened the door and closed it shut behind her.

Ji Hoo looked up in his pleasant smile. “Jan Di-ah, this is my friend Jung So Min,” he said introducing them to each other.

So Min smiled awkwardly and waved at her best friend. “Hey Jan Di-ah!” she said.

“Sunbae, how… how do you know So Min?” Jan Di ignored her best friend.

Ji Hoo frowned in confusion as to why Jan Di seems so interested in So Min. “Why?”

So Min laughed nervously as she remembered how her friends were so glad that she wasn’t involved in their hectic lives. “You see, you wondered why I know so much about you? Haha… well I am best friends with Jan Di-ah… Ga Eul, and Jae Kyung Unnie.” She didn’t want to lie to him.

Ji Hoo looked bewildered. He wasn’t mad, he wasn’t happy, he wasn’t shocked, he was… normal about it. “Okay… that’s… uh… okay,” was all he said.

Jan Di looked at So Min. “We are going to dinner tonight,” she said giving So Min the ‘you better explain tonight’ look.

“But aren’t you going to the new cell phone opening party with Jun Pyo today?” Ji Hoo asked.

Jan Di frowned. “Crap, I forgot all about that,” she said and made herself comfortable next to So Min on the couch.

“Wow, we just came back today and Lady of Shinwha Group is already so busy,” So Min teased thinking that she can avoid trouble for now.

“WE?” Ji Hoo inquired. “So this was why the girls didn’t seem to want F4 to come with them to Ulsan.”

Jan Di laughed nervously while mouthing the word ‘slick’ to So Min while So Min mouthed ‘sorry’. “She went to Ulsan with us.”

“So that was why Monkey refused to allow anyone else come with you guys,” he concluded and smile at So Min and giving her prop for have such effect on the girls. “Well if Jan Di-ah wants So Min-shi to go to dinner tonight that could be arranged,” Ji Hoo said.

“NO!”So Min thought but just smiled.

“Since it’s a date event, I could take So Min with me as my date and you guys can talk with Ga Eul and Jae Kyung too,” Ji Hoo suggested oblivious to So Min’s accusing eyes.

“That would wonderful!” Jan Di exclaimed happily while look at So Min with ‘you’re dead’ eyes.

In the end, So Min attended the opening party as Ji Hoo’s date. She met everyone in F4, got in trouble with her friends and explained to them what happened, and just continue their girly talk without F4. The F4 members were pleased to meet So Min. She was exactly the kind of friend that they expected their wife, fiancé, and “buddy” to hang out with. Jun Pyo was especially happy because he seems to think that since Ji Hoo took this girl as his date then he automatically has a wife to be. Actually, Jun Pyo wasn’t the only one that thought Ji Hoo and So Min looked great together. Everyone else thought that maybe Ji Hoo has finally date. Girls were very jealous of this new girl of the elite society. It was time to present the latest smart phone and so everyone took their seat. The Gu couple sat next to each other with So Min sitting on the Jan Di’s other side and Ji Hoo next to her. The announcer started to drone on and on about the sponsorships and giving credit to chaebol families that was involved in this new development and of course F4 family was involved.

“However, before we display the latest phone, Mr. Yoon our ex-president and Mr. Jung would like to share their greatest and joyous news,” the announcer said and handed the microphone over to Grandpa Yoon while Mr. Jung stood next to him.

 Ji Hoo and So Min looked at each other in confusion. “What’s going on?” they both wondered.

“I am glad to announce my only grandson’s impending marriage to Mr. Jung’s eldest daughter,” Grandma Yoon said happily and everyone was applauding except for F4 and the girls. They could only stare in shock.