Chapter Sixteen

Intertwined

 

It’s amazing what friendship will allow and enable people to do. Jan Di, Ga Eul, and Jae Kyung went so far as to drag Shim Changmin out from England to make him come and help with their plan. Who is this guy? This was So Min’s ex-boyfriend. Who dumped who? Changmin, the dumped; So Min, the dumper. Why? She felt like a relationship with him was just not working; to her, their relationship was more of a friendship. She wanted a lover. However, they still remained good friends since they weren’t the type to be dramatic over a break up. Why is he here in Sitka, Alaska? He was threatened by three good friends of So Min, and he wanted her to find the happiness he couldn’t give her, or maybe even give her a glimpse of what could have been if she had stayed with him.

“CHANGMIN!” she exclaimed as she saw a familiar face in the mist of the crowd.

“SO MIN!” a young man with nice warm brown eyes and a high hair cut

They screamed and embraced each other in a nice tight hug in the middle of the streets of Sitka. This was no coincident, well for So Min it is, it was well planned by three master minds. Those three looked at each other with tremendous pleasure while F4 stands there stranded.

“Oh my God! I haven’t seen you in like… forever!” So Min said excited as she continues to hug and hang on to Changmin tightly. It was the most natural thing to them; however, if other people didn’t, they would assume they were a couple.

“How are you?” Changmin said excitedly as he allows her to choke the living hell out of him just by her unyielding bear hug.

“Great just wonderful!” she replied with great enthusiasm. “What about you? Where are you working now? Are you still in England or have you moved to live in Alaska? By the way, if it’s the latter, I’ll probably worship you. How the hell, do people stand the cold weather and sunlight all day?!”

 Changmin could only laugh at So Min. “I swear woman! You never change!” he said as he remembered how she would always complain to him in Britain. “And I am working at my own doctor’s office, no, I am not living here. I was just visiting,” he answered her questions. He was used to her asking a gazillion question at once and answering her gazillion question at once too.

So Min could just only smile at him. No one knew her well like Changmin, not even her three best friends. He knew EVERYTHING about her and vice-versa. “God, do I miss you?!” she continued to exclaim as she climbed onto Changmin’s back.

He was use to it since she would always ask for piggy back rides. “Hey,” he whispered back to her, “do you mind introducing me to your friends? They’re all are staring at us.”

So Min laughed. “Oh yeah! I forgot! Charge!” she said. ‘Charge’ means go forward. She was so used to him giving her a piggy back ride that they even made a piggy back dictionary together.

Changmin could only shake his head and do what he was told. Interestingly enough, he stops right in front of Ji Hoo. It was as if he was checking out the opponent. “You wanna start the introduction now?” he turned his head and asked So Min. Her chin was on his shoulder so when he turned his head, their faces were dangerously close to each other.

“Man! He’s good!” Jae Kyung, Jan Di, and Ga Eul thought at the same time with a pleased expression.

“Alrighty!” So Min said happily and stayed on his back. “This is Ga Eul, the sweetest girl you’ll ever meet, and next to her is So Yi Jeong, her fiancée,” she said making Changmin move to face the So couple.

“Hi, I’m Shim Changmin… I would shake your hands, but…” he trailed off and looked at So Min.

So Min only rolled her eyes. “You only want me to get off, but… NO! They’ll be fine without a handshake.”

Yi Jeong and Ga Eul laughed. “It’s nice to meet you Changmin.”

“Next is Jan Di, you know her. I was telling you about her and her situation.”

“Oh yeah, I remember her. It’s nice to finally meet you. By the way, she dumped me not the other way around, so I don’t deserve a kick from you okay?” he said jokingly and winked at Jan Di which earned a laugh from her and a glare from her jealous husband.

“Dumped? So he’s her ex-boyfriend,”Ji Hoo thought remained his silent presence.

“Hi, I’m her husband,” Jun Pyo said without waiting for So Min’s introduction. He hugged Jan Di possessively, “we’re having a baby soon,” he added and earned a punch from Jan Di.

Changmin could only smile awkwardly, “Well congratulations on the good news!” He then turned to So Min again, “Is he always like that?” he asked in a hushed tone.

So Min giggled. “Yup,” she replied back. “Alright next is Jae Kyung, the infamous heiress!”

“Hey,” Jae Kyung said happily.

“Hey!” Changmin replied with a smile.

“… Dear God! Why in the world did he get dumped?!” Jae Kyung wondered as she realized how cute Changmin actually was.

Woo Bin noticed Jae Kyung’s awed face and became a little jealous. “Yo, I’m Woo Bin,” he said coolly and slipped his arms around Jae Kyung’s waist.

Changmin smiled. “Hello, you’re very lucky to have such a pretty girlfriend.”

Woo Bin nodded back and Jae Kyung could only pout.

“They’re not together,” So Min whispered awkwardly.

“…Oh. Um, I’m sorry,” Changmin apologized.

Woo Bin could only frown at So Min’s comment while everyone else laughed.

“Nah man, I know,” Changmin replied and nodded. Woo Bin grinned. He likes this guy… at the same time; he doesn’t like him because he knows his little monkey put this guy up to this.

Changmin then looked at Ji Hoo, “Hello, I’m Shim Changmin, So Min’s friend from Manchester,” he said directly to Ji Hoo.

“Yoon Ji Hoo,” Ji Hoo replied politely then looked at So Min back to Changmin.

“Oh my God! I forgot! This is soo awkward!” So Min reprimanded herself in her head as she remembered how she just naturally climbed on Changmin’s back even though she already has a husband.

“So Min’s husband,” Ji Hoo finished and looked at Changmin with challenging eyes.

“So Min! You got married?!” Changmin said and acted surprised at the news.

“…Uh…hehe, yeah. I forgot to tell you,” So Min said and scratched her head but still stayed on Changmin’s back.

“Ya think?!” he asked back then looked at Ji Hoo, “So Min’s a very special wife huh?”

Ji Hoo could only nod his head in agreement. “This guy doesn’t give me a good feeling,” he thought.

“Hey, why don’t we go and grab lunch together,” Ga Eul suggested innocently.

“Yeah!” So Min agreed excitedly. “Join us, Maxy!”

Changmin could only laugh hearing his nickname. “I can’t Minnie! I already ate and I have somewhere to be, but I’ll see you around!” he replied and gently put her down.

“Aww! That ! Here’s my number,” she said as she took a pen out of his trouser pocket and wrote down her number as if that’s the most normal thing to do. “You always keep this pen in your pocket,” she commented and put it back.

Ji Hoo eyes could have probably popped out of his socket if he wasn’t a good mood hider.

“Alright, I’ll call you,” Changmin said and waved. “It was nice meeting you all!” he added as he walked away.

“Bye Maxy!” So Min waved back at him and heard a faint ‘Bye Minnie’. She turned around and faced her friends. “Alright, let’s go eat. I’m starving!”

During lunch, Ji Hoo was silent and once again, the couple did not sit next to each other or even across from each other. Jan Di gave a cue to Jae Kyung to bring up Changmin.

“So, Minnie,” she mocked, “Who is this Changmin, and what’s up with the nick names?” Jae Kyung asked.

 So Min rolled her eyes since she did catch the change of tone in Jae Kyung. “He’s a friend from the university days. And the nick names are from Disney, Minnie as in Minnie Mouse and Maxy as in Max Goof, Goofy’s son? Duh!”

“Awe! That’s cute! You were obsessed with Disney back then,” Ga Eul said.

“Really? Could have fooled me that you guys were just friends, you guys seemed very close,” Jae Kyung added.

So Min scratched her head, “Well, that’s only natural. We dated in the college days,” she said she glanced over at Ji Hoo but saw no reaction from him.

“Good catch,” Jan Di said and winked.

“He was cute,” Ga Eul added which earned her a look from her beloved Sunbae. “But of course, not as cute as you,” she said and kissed Yi Jeong on the cheeks.

Everyone around gagged a little except for Ji Hoo. He hasn’t said a word the entire day. “Okay we get it, you guys love each other a lot, why don’t you guys spare us the details,” Woo Bin said and laughed.

“You’re just jealous,” Yi Jeong replied.

“Anyways, back to this Shim Changmin, Ga Eul is right; he’s quite a looker,” Jae Kyung totally agrees and Jan Di also nodded her head in agreement.

“Yeah and he’s a nice guy too!” So Min said with happiness.

“Sounds like the perfect guy; what happened?” Jun Pyo wondered.

So Min shrugged. “Yeah, but we were more comfortable as friends and realized that our relationship is nothing more but a friendship.”

“Oh, like you and Ji Hoo,” Jae Kyung commented and earned her a nudge by Woo Bin.

“And yet again, you’re still able to make the room go silent!” he whispered.

“… Uh… I guess… not really,” So Min said as she remembered the kisses that he and she shared.

“I’m done eating,” Ji Hoo said quietly and stood up to leave. He put down some twenty dollar bills enough to cover his and So Min’s expenses. “I’ll see you guys back at the house later,” he said and walked off.

So Min looked at Ji Hoo leaving. “I’ll go with him,” she suddenly said and was about to stand up before Yi Jeong put his hand on her shoulders.

“No, we will. You girls should just finish up your lunch,” he said nicely and gave Ga Eul a kiss before giving Jun Pyo and Woo Bin a signal that they should follow him.

“Ugh! You guys! I want to make up with him!” So Min sighed in frustration.

Ga Eul, Jan Di, and Jae Kyung could only look at So Min in pure shock. “She was so happy from meeting Shim Changmin! I thought she forgot about Ji Hoo! What’s wrong with this girl?!” they all thought.

“I thought… you forgotten about him,” Jan Di said honestly as she felt a tinge of pity for doing this to her good sunbae.

So Min frowned. “Well no, I forgot about it for a sec when I saw Changmin, but then it got extremely awkward when Ji Hoo and Changmin stood face to face,” she said stressing ‘extremely’.

Ga Eul grinned and let out a sigh of relief, “Don’t worry about Ji Hoo sunbae, remember, you don’t get to see Changmin very often to make use of the time you guys have here.”

“How do you know that Changmin and I will run into each other again?” So Min questioned in confusion.

Jae Kyung nudged Ga Eul, “Because you guys exchanged numbers dummy!” she said and saved Ga Eul’s from being interrogated to the death by So Min.

So Min lightened up with the new profound idea and answer. “Oh yeah!” she exclaimed and mentally slapped her head.

“Anyways, Ji Hoo sunbae will be fine, don’t worry!” Jan Di reassured her good friend.

So Min could only believe in her friends. She desperately wants to patch things up with Ji Hoo as soon as possible. She’s not sure if she’s in love with him, but all she knows is she misses his scent and his warmth radiating body. “Does this make a ert? I only miss him because he keeps me warm and comfy at night…”

Back at the men, Ji Hoo was very unusual to F4. It was quiet, but it was an eerie kind of quiet. Jun Pyo, Woo Bin, and Yi Jeong had been following Ji Hoo, and they landed themselves at a bar at 2 o’clock in the afternoon; that’s not something Ji Hoo do very often or even at all.

“Yo man… you alright?” Woo Bin asked in concern.

Ji Hoo suddenly slammed his glass of whiskey down on the counter which earned a glance from everyone in the bar. “Fine,” he replied back. “If this is some funny antics my friends are pulling; it’s not funny,” he thought back to the time he saw So Min cling onto this Shim Changmin’s back.

Woo Bin could only look at Yi Jeong and Jun Pyo for help because it was obvious Ji Hoo does not want to talk about it. Yi Jeong sat down on the empty seat next to Ji Hoo while Woo Bin occupied the other seat. Jun Pyo sat down next to Woo Bin. The men sat together in complete silence unsure what to talk about or how to make Ji Hoo speak.

“If this is some kind of game you guys are playing, stop it,” Ji Hoo said darkly while his friends stared at him in shock.

“What are you talking about man?” Woo Bin glanced over at Yi Jeong in full panic mood realizing how observant and smart Ji Hoo actually was, “How could we forget that Ji Hoo is smartest out of all of us?!”

“Shim Changmin, where the hell did we come from?” Ji Hoo asked once more.

“… Uh, do you want me to run a background check and see where he was born?” Jun Pyo asked stupidly.

Ji Hoo turned and gave him a death glare, “That’s not what I meant. I know you guys invited So Min and I to Sitka for a reason and this Shim Changmin person is only a part of your schemes.”

“Ji Hoo, I think you’re over thinking things,” Yi Jeong said calmly. He knew fairly well that’s its almost impossible to hide things from Ji Hoo, but if they played their cards right, Ji Hoo can’t suspect a thing.

Ji Hoo looked at Yi Jeong with questioning eyes, “Am I?” he challenged.

“You are,” Woo Bin assured. “Anyways, what’s wrong with Shim Changmin? He’s seems like a pretty decent guy,” he pressed on. “He’s jealous!”

“I don’t know; I just don’t have a good feeling about him,” Ji Hoo said honestly. He never felt such immense disdain for someone before, not to mention a complete stranger.

“Maybe you’re jealous,” Jun Pyo added as he thought about it. Jun Pyo may be a complete psycho, but he’s not dumb. His friends keep forgetting he is indeed the richest man in Korea, and Korea’s economy depends vastly on him.

Ji Hoo could only give him an incredulous look while Yi Jeong and Woo Bin were proud of Jun Pyo for cutting things to the chase. “I know you’re usually bad with words so I’ll just pretend that you didn’t say that.”

“You’re in denial buddy,” Jun Pyo retorted back. If jealously was a school subject, he would be the one to ace the class. “I know what it feels like to be jealous. Remember our fist fight in the hockey rink?” he asked as he reminiscences that time he saw Ji Hoo for the first time after Jan Di’s date with Ji Hoo.

Ji Hoo’s tongue was caught by the cat now. He stayed silent and continued to sip on his beverage. He could only let out a sigh of frustration and pray that the Shim Changmin character wouldn’t show up in front of his wife again. He had never seen her so touchy and whiney in front of anyone aside from her friends and sometimes him, but never to the extent of clinging on to him like a cat stuck in a tree.

The rest of F3 could only stare at their 4-dimensional friend in pity, “If you get upset today, I don’t know how you will last the rest of the week,” they all thought realizing how evil their sweet hearts actually are. “Knowing their love for So Min, I’m sure that Shim Changmin won’t leave very soon.”