Chapter Thirty Seven

Intertwined

Dear Readers,

Thank you so much for all of your support and patience! This chapter is for Ga Eul and Yi Jeong shippers! 

With all due respect,

Sophie

 

Shopping with Shinwha’s president’s mother was an eye opener, but the party entrance with the wealthy women and her mother-in-law was another story to tell. Ga Eul and Yi Jeong never publicly gone out together to a huge social elite event before. The press has gotten pictures of them out together before and know very well who the Casanova’s fiancée is; however, social parties was not Ga Eul’s strong point, so Yi Jeong had never made Ga Eul attend them with him. Instead, he goes alone; he rather be alone than be accompanied by someone other than the woman he loves most. Tonight would be Ga Eul debut to the social elite lifestyle, but she’s not here with THE So Yi Jeong, she’s here with THE monarch of all social madams, Madame Gu.

Compared to all the other young women, Ga Eul’s dressed look a little plain when she first set foot into the dinning hall. Dinner had already started, but being with a Gu excused her for being fashionably late. Ga Eul looked around, and the dresses she saw were colorful and beautifully sequined or embroidered. One lady’s dress had so much bling-age on it that Ga Eul thought she would be a disco ball if different colored lights shined on the dress. Ga Eul’s dress was plain, and her accessories were also plain. She wore a simple sterling silver bracelet with small diamond studs. Her dress was a one shoulder, floor length, white dress with a generous slit on the side for those who are lucky enough to get a glimpse of her leg.

“Darling, you have a lovely figure and your simpleness is what makes you the star of tonight,” Madame Gu reassured Ga Eul as the made their way toward the head of the dinning table. “Also, when we get up to Yi Jeong and his grandfather, do not say any thing, Stick behind me and let me do the talking.” She then turned and whispered, “Yuna, I want you to leave us. Find your seat at the table and stay there. I will send your father-in-law your regards.” Mrs. So did what she was told and left Ga Eul in the hands of Madame Gu. 

“Hee So! My dear, I did not realize you would be gracing us with your presence tonight,” Yi Jeong’s grandfather said politely and cordially until he saw Ga Eul trailing behind her.

Yi Jeong almost spitted out his food as he saw his soon to be wife hiding behind Madame Gu  looking sweet and shy as ever. He was not expecting her to be here at all. “Ga-”

Madame Gu interrupted Yi Jeong. “Senior So, I was hurt when I was not invited to your small get together.” What she called a ‘small get together’ was an understatement. The party was grand and luxurious; filled to the brim with people.

The older man made a laugh, “Well this party was only held for my dear grandson,” he answered as he eyed the cowering Ga Eul. She felt like a fish out of water under his scrutiny. All of a sudden, her brave soul ran away from her and left her defenseless. “I am hoping to find a suitable match for him,” he said bluntly. “I have invited every family with a suitable daughter or granddaughter for my grandson.”

Yi Jeong swore under his breathe as he observed Ga Eul’s reaction. He wanted to walked across the table to his young sweetheart and take her out of this suffocating atmosphere. 

“Senior So, I must say, you have forgotten about me. You know very well I know plenty of young ladies for Yi Jeong here. You should have consulted with me sooner! Well, please excuse me for now, I would like to go and make my rounds and greet some of my friends.”

“Of course, dear. I will get someone to set up a chair for you right next to me as soon as possible,” Harabeoji So said not even acknowledging Ga Eul.

“That would be very gentlemanly of you, but I do not think it is necessary. You see, I am here to introduce a young lady to all my friends in hopes of finding her a good husband. I was hoping to sit next to someone with a suitable son or grandson.”

“Ga Eul!” Yi Jeong stood up from his seat, causing more eyes to watch curiously at the scene at the head of the table.

“Yi-”

“Ga Eul-shi, please follow me,” Madame Gu commanded and leaned into whisper into Ga Eul’s ear, “Dear, I gave a dress with a lavish slit, use it to your benefit. Make sure your future husband realize that he is in danger of losing you to other men.” Madame Gu made sure she walked around the head of the table to pass by Yi Jeong. 

Ga Eul could only nod in compliance and followed the social elite around the table. Mrs. Gu walked in a rather fast pace causing Ga Eul to bristle by Yi Jeong to catch up with her. Ga Eul’s dress flared behind her giving Yi Jeong a clear view of how high the slit of her dress realistically was. He also noticed how the sweetheart neckline emphasized on Ga Eul’s s. Seeing how revealing the floor length dress was, Yi Jeong immediately stood up to rush after her; however, he was prevented by his grandfather who gave him the death glare to sit back down. Tonight was going to be a long and tedious night.

Somehow during dinner, Yi Jeong was able to escape his grandfather’s attention to give his mother a visit and hope to track down Madame Gu who held his future wife captive. “Omma,” Yi Jeong said as he stood over her chair and gave her cheek a kiss, “have your seen Ga Eul. She’s with-”

“With Mrs. Gu.”

Yi Jeong wore a shocked face.

“I accompanied them shopping and here.”

“And you let her wear that dress?!” Yi Jeong almost exploded.

Yuna grinned. “Beautiful isn’t she?”

“I know she’s beautiful; she’s my fiancée,” Yi Jeong gritted out to his mother. “What does Madame Gu mean when she says she’s trying to find Ga Eul a suitable match? She’s my fiancée, and everyone knows that.”

“Yes, darling. Everyone do indeed know that; however, you also know that YOU are Ga Eul’s fiancé, but here you are, basically on multiple blind dates.”

“That’s different; Grandfather-”

“Pish-posh,” Madame Gu’s voice came from behind Yi Jeong. From hearing her voice, he hoped to find his beautiful soulmate next to her, but was disappointed when he turned to face the older woman and saw her alone. “If you have the rights to be introduced to other choices in marriage, then I am sure that Ga Eul-shi has the same rights as you. Also, Ga Eul-shi is currently in the drawing room.”

Before anyone could say anything else to Yi Jeong, his legs already ran toward the exit of the dining room. 

“Hee So! You left her in the drawing room by herself?!” Yuna exclaimed in disapproval. 

“Don’t worry, Yuna. If Ga Eul is anything like my daughter-in-law, she can fend for her dignity and self.”

Everyone knows that the drawing room of Harabeoji So’s mansion was mostly occupied for young single bachelors who had no mind to eat and mingle in a mindless fancy dinner. The room had a full sized bar and supplied with cigars and cards. No reputable young lady would enter the room if she wanted to keep her a pure and clean reputation. 

When Yi Jeong entered the drawing room the scene in front of him was not what he had imagined. He had imaged the worse: Ga Eul being harassed; Ga Eul being backed into a corner... everything, anything, but not this scene. Here was his little sweetheart sitting around a poker table and actually kicking . 

“So Yi Jeong, I must say, I have misjudged your fiancée,” Hee Chul, an older bachelor said to Yi Jeong. “She’s a keeper,” he said with everyone else’s approval. 

“She can play one fine game of poker,” another one added and patted Yi Jeong on the back.

Yi Jeong grinned back uneasily as he stared at his soon to be bride grinning back at him with poker chips stacked up on her side of the table. 

“Hyung! Why didn’t you come sooner?! Noona was kicking all of our asses! You need to take her away; I am going to lose my fortune if I keep playing against her.”

Ga Eul giggled and walked toward the dumbstruck Yi Jeong. The men behind her enjoyed the nice sway of her hips, and the men on the side enjoyed the view of her dress slit. “Hey,” she said brightly and gave his a kiss on the cheek. His hand automatically circled around her waist to pull her closer in hope of hiding the slit from all the wolves’ eyes. 

“We are leaving, now,” Yi Jeong said and gave all his fellow bachelor a polite nod and pulled Ga Eul out the door before she could even give them her goodbyes.

Yi Jeong and Ga Eul almost reached the exit door when they were stopped by Harabeoji So himself. “And where do you think you’re going young man?”

“I’m taking my fiancée home,” Yi Jeong gritted out. He knew damn well that his grandfather was trying to introduce better bride prospect to him, but the only person he wanted to marry was Chu Ga Eul and no one else. 

“I’m sorry,” Madame Gu’s voice came behind them. “but I do not think I can allow you to do so Yi Jeong.”

“And why is that?” he challenged.

“Because Ga Eul came as my guest, not as your fiancée. You never gave her the courtesy of debuting as your fiancée; therefore, I have taken up the task and let her debut as my family friend. She has the backing of a Gu now.”

Ga Eul caught in between decided to pat down Yi Jeong’s anger. “Why don’t we go back in? Finish our meals, and then we can go home.”

“No, my grandson will be staying in my home tonight.”

“And Ga Eul-shi will be leaving with me tonight.”

Ga Eul laughed nervously as tension aroused between the three social elites. “Ummm... I’m going to go back in,” she said as she inched away from the three slowly.

“Not without me escorting you in,” Yi Jeong said with finality and giving his grandfather and Madame Gu a look that says, ‘I-dare-you-to-challenge-me.’

“Your grandson is quite stubborn,” Madame Gu commented as she watched the couple retreat back to the dinning hall.

“Yes, and so was my son, and in the end, he still married Yuna,” he retorted back.

“Yes, and we all saw how well that marriage was,” Madame Gu huffed and left the older man standing in shock at her insolence. 

When Harabeoji So came back into the dinning hall, he wanted to tear Ga Eul out of Yi Jeong’s arms and throw her out of his home. When he entered, Yi Jeong made a huge announcement that Ga Eul is and will be his only bride, and that his grandfather is out of his right mind right now to reject such a lovely girl to be his granddaughter-in-law. Before the elderly man could even a utter a noise, Yi Jeong announced that dinner is over and everyone can either go home or continue to socialize in the ballroom and congratulate his pending marriage. The social party that was meant to be a blind date party for Yi Jeong suddenly turned into a celebration for his upcoming marriage.

Harabeoji So huffed and stalked his way over toward the couple while the party goers filed out into the ballroom. “What-”

“Grandfather,” Yi Jeong cut him off, “you will congratulate me on my marriage, and you’re going to accept Ga Eul as your granddaughter-in-law,” he said with finality. He was shielding Ga Eul from his grandfather’s reach as he spoke.

The elderly man took a deep breath and reluctantly agreed. “If she’s going to be my granddaughter-in-law, I at least want to meet her family members.”

Yi Jeong eyed his grandfather with suspicion. 

“You have my word; I will be as amicable as I can.”

“Which is not very amicable in a normal person’s eyes.”

“Do not push my limits, grandson.”

Ga Eul tugged Yi Jeong to tell him to yield to his grandfather. “Thank you for your invitation, sir. I will inform my family of your request.”

Harabeoji So waved his hand in dismissal. “No need for that. I will have my people call your family.”

“I am assuming that we have come to an understanding and an agreement,” Yi Jeong’s father  came by and joined the group. 

Ga Eul bowed in respect while both Yi Jeong and his grandfather gruff at the sight of So Hyun Sub. “I am do not wish to make the same mistake as I did with you,” Harabeoji So gritted out. His son was a disappointment, his eldest grandson was a flop, and now, Yi Jeong was his last chance to do right. Seeing how this Chu Ga Eul girl has the backing of the Gu family and his grandson seems to be doing right with her around, there is no harm in approving the girl. Not to mention, he has both his good friends breathing down his neck to approve the girl. 

Harabeoji So suddenly felt a hardy pat on his back while his eye caught a slight grinned from Butler Kim. “How does admitting defeat taste like?” Harabeoji Yoon asked with a grin plastered on his face.

“Like vinegar.”

His reply earned a chuckle from everyone. Ga Eul side stepped Yi Jeong and gave his grandfather a hug. “Thank you,” she whispered gratefully and gave the elderly man a kiss on the check causing him to blush, not that anyone knew it could happen.

Grandfather So gently pushed her away and cleared his throat, “Uh-yes-yes, let us all go to the ball room now.”

Harabeoji So and Yoon were the last to exit the dinning hall; as they passed, Butler Kim whispered to Harabeoji So, “I’ve never seen Young Master Yi Jeong smile like that before; you’ve done the right thing.”

“Well, would you look at that?! Even old Butler Kim cracked a smile and finally approved something that you’ve done,” Harabeoji Yoon teased.

Harabeoji So scoffed like he usually does and retorted, “Well, I, for one, got approved for something unlike you. He didn’t approve anything during your presidency, and now you’re just a lazy old man who does nothing all day but fishing and eating; therefore, he can’t approve anything because you do not do anything for him to approve!”

Butler Kim only rolled his eyes and grinned on the inside. With the acceptance of Ga Eul into the So Family, Butler Kim could see the hope and light of a happy So Residence in the future.