Chapter Thirty Three

Intertwined

 

Everyone hopped out of their spot; even So Min who was sleeping woke up. Butler Kim was about to let everyone in until Grandpa Yoon stuck his head out and said, “Don’t you all dare to take another step into this room.” He looked over at Butler Kim, “Do your job, old man,” he said and closed the door again.

“You heard the old man, please retake your seats,” Butler Kim replied and regained composure standing in front of the door again.

In the tea room, Ga Eul was bitterly crying softly sitting on an arm chair facing several different ladies her age. Grandfather So sat there watching coldly at Ga Eul. She tried her best to keep her dignity in front of all these elite socialites. Grandpa So spared no mercy on the poor and sweet Ga Eul. He called in several suitable marriage candidates that he approves of to show the difference between her and them. The man basically stripped any self dignity and respect the girl had for herself.

"This is none of your business Yoon Seok Young," Harabeoji So said sternly and watched the old man warily.

"It is my business when you make my sweet little Ga Eul cry," Harabeoji Yoon replied in just as serious tone as he puts his arms around the sniffling Ga Eul.

Grandfather So rolled his eyes and replied, "Then take her and tell her to leave Yi Jeong."

Before Harabeoji Yoon could say anything,  Ga Eul replied, "Yi Jeong and I will wait until you approve."

"Ga Eul," Grandpa Yoon said disapprovingly. "You don't have to delay your wedding for this old hag."

"No, Yi Jeong and I can wait. I believe that one day Grandfather So would accept me," Ga Eul sounded calm but she was extremely nervous inside.

"You can wait all your might, but I will never accept you," he answered determinedly.

"You will accept me, and I will wait until that day," Ga Eul replied just as stubbornly. "I don't mean to be disrespectful, but why do you want history to repeat itself? Like father's and mother's in law marriage ended up so well. Why do you want to repeat the same mistake you did with them to Yi Jeong. Why inflict the same thing on these young women?"

"Get out," Harabeoji So gritted out of his lips. Never in his life has anyone told him that he has done wrong.

"Gladly," Ga Eul answered back. Her crying has seized and now her determination kept her going. She changed Yi Jeong and his mother. She is determined to change any other So family member that she can get her hands on.

“You have underestimated this child,” Harabeoji Yoon warned Yi Jeong’s grandfather before he chased after Ga Eul.

Everyone looked at Ga Eul anxiously; it was obvious from her swollen eyes that she has been crying in the tea room. Yi Jeong immediately came up to her and hugged her. Meeting his grandfather alone was something Yi Jeong would never inflict on anyone, especially not Ga Eul. Ga Eul only half heartedly hugged Yi Jeong back before she pulled away. Everyone was expecting her to saw something or just break down in cry, but instead, Ga Eul just tugged Yi Jeong out the door silently without making any contact with anybody. So Min was about to follow them out the door but was stopped by Ji Hoo.

“I think it’s best if they talk this out by themselves,” Ji Hoo said calmly.

Harabeoji Yoon scoffed, “I don’t think Yi Jeong is going to take it very well though.”

“What do you mean?”

“She wants to wait until your father in law gives them his blessings before she marries him,” he answered Yi Jeong’s mother.

“I think I’m going to faint,” Mrs. So said faintly.

“Yi Jeong won’t be able to take that,” Ji Hoo said honestly. The poor boy was going to blow if Ga Eul doesn’t become his wife after almost three years of waiting.

“Well what can we do? When Ga Eul is set on something, she’s going to do what she wants,” So Min said as she shook her head in sympathy for Yi Jeong.

“Well, thank you for coming to talk to my father,” So Hyun Sub said politely to Grandpa Yoon who only replied in a gruff. Grandpa Yoon never did really like Yi Jeong’s father since he had always favored Yi Jeong’s mother more.

“I guess we will leave first,” Ji Hoo bowed to Mr. and Mrs. So, “If Yi Jeong or Ga Eul gives us a call, we’ll inform you,” Ji Hoo added just in case Yi Jeong ends up calling F4 first instead of his parents.

“You kids go back first; I’m taking your aunt to brunch,” Grandpa Yoon said as he tugged on Yi Jeong’s mom’s arm. “And you can stay here and wallow in your misery,” he sneered at Hyun Sub.

“Sorry about that Uncle So,” So Min winced as she watched Harabeoji Yoon take Aunt So out. “He’s just a little… aggravated.”

“It’s okay dear; I am use to it for twenty odd years now.”

“Do you think you can talk to Harabeoji So?” Ji Hoo asked.

“It will be hard, but his mother and I will work on it. I am sure my son will not stand for this halt on the wedding.”

Ji Hoo nodded and left with his wife. Harabeoji Yoon took Mrs. So’s car and left his car to his grandchildren to ride home in.

“Your grandfather left a note before he left,” the young boy said as he handed the car key and the note to Ji Hoo.

“Thank you,” Ji Hoo replied and opened the door for So Min to get in and read the note as he walked to the driver side.

“So Min looks ill. Take better care of her.”

Harabeoji

Ji Hoo looked over to observe So Min, “She does seem a little paler than usual,” he thought.

“What? Is there drool on my face?” So Min asked as she started rubbing her face.

He laughed. “No, I was just thinking that I married a very beautiful wife.”

“Right… and you called her fat this morning.”

Ji Hoo gave So Min a peck on the lips before answering, “The truth hurts sometimes my dear. Anyways, we will be staying at Grandpa’s place for a few days before coming back to Seoul. It won’t be long since Jan Di is near her due date, and we have to help with Woo Bin’s wedding.”

“The next two months are going to be extremely busy then. I also have to plan the opening ceremony for your new ward,” So Min added.

“I thought Hyun Ah was in charge of that,” Ji Hoo replied as he pulled out of the So’s driveway.

“Dean Lee came to find me and asked that I fill in for her. Apparently, she met a French-Korean doctor and left with him to France.”

Ji Hoo remained silent for a while before asking, “Do you want me to assign someone else to do it?”

“No, why?”

“I just thought you’ll be extremely busy with that and the children’s ward. I didn’t want you to be tired out.”

So Min grinned and patted Ji Hoo’s head, “I knew I married a good guy!”

“I think you see me as a dog.”

“A very cute doggy!”

Ji Hoo only sighed and rolled his eyes. “Alright, what do you want to eat?”

“Let’s just go to Longhorn and have lunch and afterwards we should return to grandpa’s house and pack to go camping?”

“Camping?”

“Yeah, I’ve never been camping, have you?”

Ji Hoo laughed at his childhood memories on camping trips that Jun Pyo hated so much. “Have I been camping? Please, you are speaking to an Eagle Scout!”

“… My husband… is a GEEK!!!!” So Min shrieked and laughed. “Who knew the popular F4 boy was actually a boy scout?!”

Ji Hoo laughed along with her. “Actually all of F4 are boy scouts. Well… Jun Pyo bought his Eagle Scout badge.”

“I wonder if Jan Di knows this,” So Min said out loud after she finished laughing.

“She probably does; she knows her husband is no outdoor macho man.”

“And you act like you’re one?” So Min teased. “Jan Di tells me you’re the poetic type… you know indoorsy, the sensitive guy.”

“Don’t judge a book by its cover,” Ji Hoo warned.

“Like you did with me when we first met?”

Ji Hoo laughed. “Yes, and I learned that I should stop laughing when you tell me to. I don’t want another kick in the face.”

“I’m glad we’re on the same page, so take me camping or you’re going to find yourself on the floor with my foot print on your handsome face,” So Min grinned.

“You seriously want to go camping?” Ji Hoo asked again. He never pegged So Min to be a complete girly girl, but camping was something he never imagined her doing.

“Yeah, why not?”

Ji Hoo shook his head, “Whatever you want. Then before we head back to Grandpa’s we have to go buy some equipments.”

“Okay!” So Min replied excitedly.

Three hours later, the young couple packed their things into their Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and headed off to go camping. Ji Hoo wasn’t too thrilled to go camping because he thinks So Min was getting sick, but he couldn’t let her down since she seemed to want to go camping a lot. Also, camping was something Ji Hoo enjoyed because it gave him just a place to chill, and plus, it was funny to see Jun Pyo get freaked out by all the bugs.

So Min got out of the car first, “Wow! This place is beautiful!” she exclaimed as she took a look at the great lake and take in the fresh crisp air of autumn.

Ji Hoo grinned as he took out the tent from the trunk. He placed all the equipments down before joining So Min before the beautiful lake. Ji Hoo took off his scarf and wrapped it around her neck and brought her closer to his side. “This was a place where my father took me camping,” he said in a yearning manner.

“You don’t talk about your parents much, and I know why,” So Min replied back and hugged him tighter.

“I know you know. I have never brought anyone else to this place,” Ji Hoo said honestly.

“Why not?”

“Because this is a place that I didn’t want to share with anyone else, except you,” Ji Hoo stared deep into So Min’s eyes and answered her before giving her a light kiss which she accepted greatly.

“I think we should make this camping thing a tradition,” So Min announced, “we could do it every year on your parents’ memorial day to remind you of them… in a good way.”

“I think we should, I usually avoided this place because it would remind me of them, but now that I have you, I think I’ll be okay.”

 “You’re going to be more than just okay,” So Min replied and gave Ji Hoo a searing kiss.

Ji Hoo pulled away with both of them breathless and replied, “Hmm… no wonder why you’re a great doctor. You heal everything that is wrong with me.”

“Okay, we need to stop being cheesy and set up our tent and start a fire. I refuse to freeze to death tonight.”

“Your fault for wanting to go camping in the middle of winter,” Ji Hoo replied.

“I didn’t think it through!” So Min tried to defend herself while helping Ji Hoo take out the tent. “You should have told me ‘maybe next time’.”

Ji Hoo shook his head and ignored So Min’s rants. So Min was suppose to help set up the tent with him, but she was so horrible and not helping him at all. She actually made it more difficult than it had to be, so he made her sit down and do something else while he sets it up and start the fire. She ended up settle herself in a fold up chair with some fuzzy blanket and a book, Kite Runner.

“You know, Christmas is coming soon,” Ji Hoo said as he gently guided So Min out of her chair and took the book from her. She was so lost in the book that she didn’t even notice that Ji Hoo had already made instant noodles.

“I know, I was thinking that we should have your grandfather come stay with us for the Christmas week.”

“That’s fine too, but your father called,” Ji Hoo informed her and felt the immediate change in her mood as she huddle near the fire and him.

So Min remained silent and started to fill Ji Hoo’s bowl with the ramen’s soup as she waited for him to continue.

“He wants us to visit them, and I think we should,” Ji Hoo put his two cents in.

“…Really? You honestly want to go, or did he use some kind of voodoo on you?” So Min asked skeptically. After her marriage with Ji Hoo, So Min had never set foot back into her father’s home nor has she met him and the rest of his family. Mentioning her father doesn’t bring contempt to her anymore not because she has forgiven him, but because she forgot about him.

“No, he didn’t use voodoo; I just feel sorry him,” Ji Hoo shrugged. “He’s lonely; your step mother and sister are off in England for Christmas this year, and he’s all alone.”

“Why didn’t he go on vacation with them?” So Min asked even though she knew it was a stupid question because she obviously knew the answer to it. She disliked her step family, but her father cannot stand them at times. The only reason why he hasn’t divorced her yet was because he believes that he is too old to cause an uproar scandal. “Nevermind, don’t answer that.”

“Since we’re inviting my grandfather is over, why don’t we have your father over too?”

So Min sighed. It was obvious that Ji Hoo was trying to make her relationship with her father better, and she didn’t want to flat out crush his efforts. “…fine, but I can’t promise I’ll be amicable.”

“You’re always amicable,” Ji Hoo replied and kissed her redden nose from the cold.

While the Yoon couple was having a nice and cuddly time in the woods, Ga Eul had to go find Yi Jeong in his studio. After she told him that she wanted to postpone her wedding, he called his driver and told his driver to take her home while he went off by himself. It was obvious that he was upset because instead of crafting beautiful pots like he usually does, he was smashing the large chunk of clay in frustration. He has been ignoring Ga Eul’s calls and basically shut off all means of communication with the world.

“Knock-knock,” Ga Eul said softly as she shut the door behind her.

“How’d you get in?” Yi Jeong asked gruffly as he slammed another chunk of clay beneath his feet.

Ga Eul jingled a set of keys in front of him, reminding him that he was the one that gave her keys to his apartment and his studio.

Yi Jeong mumbled and moved out of Ga Eul’s reach to the bar. He poured himself a drink while Ga Eul followed him and stood in front of him. “Look at me,” Ga Eul said sweetly as she cupped his face with her dainty hands. “Your grandfather will come around, believe me.”

Yi Jeong pulled away and put his drink down and took her hands into his. “You don’t understand Ga Eul, my grandfather is worse than Jun Pyo’s mother. Our wedding has been set and ready, and I want you to be my wife as soon as possible. Do you know how upsetting it is to be the only F4 member not married, when I was expected to be the second one married after Jun Pyo? Our marriage is between you and me; my grandfather has nothing to do with this. I don’t understand why you’re so stubborn.”

“I want your grandfather to be on board with this marriage,” Ga Eul said softly as she patted his head. “I want your entire family’s blessing; that includes your brother and sister-in-law. They’re coming to the wedding… when it happens. If this wedding is going to be as big as people predict it, I want all your family and my family there.”

“My family is like a circus,” Yi Jeong shook his head. “I rather have your family be present.”

Ga Eul gave him a look and continued, “Relax, we will get married; it will take some time.” She gave him a smile and kisses his lips gently. “Trust me; even if the world ends, I will become your wife. Nothing will keep us apart.”

Yi Jeong brought her closer to him and kissed her back more ferociously. Her arms naturally wrapped around his neck while his s around her waist to bring her closer to him. When he pulled away, he rested his forehead against hers and whispered, “I will agree to postpone our wedding on one condition, and you must agree with it or else I will continue this wedding even without your approval.”

“What is it?” Ga Eul asked breathless.

“You’re moving in with me,” he replied and kissed her again before she was allowed to answer.

Ga Eul pulled away really quick and replied “Deal,” before pulling him back for another long lip locking session.