Chapter Thirty Four

Intertwined

 

“AHHCHHOOO!” So Min sneezed for the nth time that day.

“Dr. Yoon, you have been sneezing all day today. Are you sure you want to continue looking over these charts?” her assistant nurse asked. Her assistant nurse is a senior nurse at St. John Hospital. So Min was thankful to have her as her assistant nurse because most of the younger nurses were always lusting after her husband.

So Min nodded. “Don’t worry about me. Just give the charts and ask Dr. Kim (random doctor) to look at the children for me. I don’t want to get them sick.”

“Alright, but I still think that after this, you should go home and rest,” the nurse suggested in a motherly way before closing the door behind her.

After a few more minutes of looking over patient charts, So Min made her way toward her couch to take a power nap. Her cold was giving her a congested nose and is sore. Her head pounded and her body was being an indecisive ; she couldn’t decide whether she was cold or hot. While So Min was in her office, Ji Hoo was doing his rounds in the hospital when he ran into So Min’s assistant nurse.

“Dr. Yoon, may I have a word with you?” the older nurse asked politely.

Ji Hoo stopped and nodded his head and followed the older nurse to a more secluded area. “Yes?”

“Your wife is sick, and she refuses to leave work.”

Ji Hoo nodded in comprehension. He had noticed that since they got back from their camping trip. So Min was continuously catching a cold right after she recovers from one. At night, she wouldn’t be able to sleep because of her cough and then she wouldn’t eat because hurts too much from swallowing. At first, they both believed that the colds are nothing serious, but now Ji Hoo is beginning to worry.

“Thank you. I’ll talk to her,” Ji Hoo said appreciatively. One thing that Ji Hoo has learned about So Min was that she’s extremely stubborn. If she refuses to leave work, you will have to drag her out kicking and screaming.

It wasn’t until late in the night when Ji Hoo was able to go take a look at So Min. He was fully booked with surgeries, so he sent someone to check on So Min for him. Every hour, he had someone come back and tell him what So Min was doing. She was either looking at patient charts or sleeping. He’s dead tired from the long day at work; all he wants to do now is to snuggle up next to his beloved wife.

“Good work today,” nurses and doctors patted his back as he took of his scrubs and washed his hands. He thanked them tiredly and headed over to So Min’s office.

He entered silently and hung his bag on her coat hanger. She was asleep on her couch with her blanket wrapped around her and the television playing. He strode toward her and bent down to eye level before he pushed her hair back from her eyes gently. He then turned and looked at the bed. It was only a few movements away, but he was too tired to pick her up and bring her to bed with him, plus the couch seemed to have ample space for him and her both. He tried his best not wake her as he smoothly picked her up and let her lie on the outside of the couch while he was on the inside with his arms wrapped around her to prevent her from falling.

Ji Hoo didn’t know when he fell asleep, but both he and his wife were awakened by an extremely loud pounding on So Min’s door. If the person knocked any louder, they would have broken the door. Both So Min and Ji Hoo shot up immediately from their slumber, and Ji Hoo opened the door expecting his or So Min’s nurse, but instead found a sweaty looking Don Juan.

“Man! Why the hell won’t you answer your phone?!! Mini Madam Gu has gone into labor and she’s killing everyone within a five meter radius of her!!”

“OH GOD!” So Min immediately jumped and ran out the door with the two men following closely behind her.

Everyone was waiting outside the labor room. Jan Di’s father paced back and forth while his wife and Jun Pyo’s mom, with her husband’s sitting next to her, sat glaring/ staring at each other awkwardly waiting for their grandchild’s birth. Jan Di’s younger brother was fiddling with his fingers as he can’t wait to be an uncle to the heir of the Gu family.

Apparently, Jae Kyung returned to Korea as soon as she could get away from Woo Bin’s father. The past few weeks, Jae Kyung has spent training with Woo Bin’s father. His philosophy was that if he were to have a daughter in law, then she has to be able to defend herself and not be a burden to him. At the end, Jae Kyung proved to be a strong woman, and she made Woo Bin’s father warm up to her so much that he would have Woo Bin’s head if he doesn’t marry Jae Kyung.

Yi Jeong and Ga Eul were sitting together and holding hands as they wait for their god-child to come. Ever since Jan Di found out she was pregnant; she immediately asked if Ga Eul would like the honor to be her first child’s god-mother, and of course, Ga Eul accept with much of Jun Pyo’s disapproval until she realized that Ga Eul would be entering her own elite society by marriage with Yi Jeong. Well, that is until Yi Jeong’s hard headed grandfather accepts her.

It has been five good hours since Jan Di had first felt her contractions, and she still hasn’t given birth yet. Everyone was waiting impatiently for the doctors to come out and deliver the good news of the new addition of the Gu family. After hours of gurgling cries and painful arm squeezing, Gu Chin Ho finally came into the world. The boy was surrounded by family and friend as they peered down on his crying face and cooing at how adorable he is.

“He’s beautiful,” So Min commented as she leaned back against Ji Hoo as they watch Jan Di cuddle with her first born son.

Ji Hoo let out low murmur in agreement. As a doctor, they both knew that death is a definite thing, and when they save a life, they feel great as though they were king of the world. However, seeing a new life entering the world is a complete different thing. Something so tiny coming into the vast world gives a sense of miracle. So Min’s heart began to stir with the idea of her and Ji Hoo holding their first child together. She wonders if she will be just as hormonal and scary as Jan Di, and will she and Ji Hoo be good parents.

God only knows how long people stayed and cooed at the new born baby. They only left when Jun Pyo basically kicked them all out wanting to have his wife and son all to himself and to no one else. As the Yoon couple retreated to Ji Hoo’s office, they finally had a chance to talk to each other.

“When did you come into my office?” So Min asked Ji Hoo as she vividly remembered waking up next to Ji Hoo.

“Right after my shift; I had people checking on you throughout the entire day. Are you feeling a little better?” Ji Hoo asked as he opened the door to his office and gently pushed her inside and closed the door behind them.

So Min only shrugged. With the birth of the new Gu family member, So Min was so excited that she temporarily forgot that she was ill.

It was routinely now, they both head to change into their sleeping wears and stood at the opposite side of their bed to lift their covers and climb into bed together.  Ji Hoo could tell that So Min’s head was pounding, but she was so stubborn. After seeing a new born baby, So Min was determined to talk to Ji Hoo about children.

“You think we can be parents?”

“If Gu Jun Pyo can be a dad, then I can most definitely be one too. Why? Do you want a baby?”

They have been talking while staring at the ceiling, so So Min turned her head and flicked his forehead and grinned, “That shouldn’t have even been a question.”

The idea and image of So Min swollen belly holding their child while smiling stirred his heart and his face pulled into a grin. “Of course not; I’m so stupid.”

“Yes, indeed you are Dr. Yoon.”

“Well not as stupid as Mrs. Doctor Yoon here. You’re sick, yet you still insist on talking. I want you asleep now. I have already made an appointment with Dr. Kim tomorrow.”

“Ji Hoo, it’s just a slight cold; I am fine. I don’t need a doctor.”

He gave her a disapproving look, “It has been weeks now that you’re sick. You need a doctor; plus, there’s a possibility that you’re pregnant,” he added in a whisper.

“…What?”

“Well captain obvious, every time we have , I never once used the precaution of a ,” Ji Hoo stated bluntly as he caused So Min’s already red face from fever to flush even more. “There Mrs. Yoon please listen to your husband and go to your doctor’s appointment tomorrow. I am worried that if you are pregnant, you will kill my baby with your stubbornness of not taking care of yourself.”

So Min scoffed, “Trust me honey, I will take much better care of the baby than you ever will. Don’t you forget, I am, after all, a pediatrician?”

Ji Hoo also rolled his eyes and tucked her closer to him before telling her to go to bed. In the morning, Ji Hoo and So Min work up at the same time. He had wanted to accompany her to her doctor appointment, but he forgot that he had ER duty and there was no one who could take his shift for him. In the morning, So Min helped Ji Hoo get dressed for work before she went to the gynecology ward for her check up. The doctor told So Min that will take some time for the results to come, so So Min returned back to work and the couple planned to have lunch after they visit Jan Di and her baby son.

“I can’t get over how cute their baby is,” So Min continued to gush over the new born child. Ji Hoo can already tell that they have another spoiled Gu Jun Pyo 2.0 in the making. After all, the boy is a Gu heir, and he has his father’s genes. “I wonder if Jan Di and Jun Pyo would let Ga Eul be his teacher when he goes to kindergarten. I am sure Jan Di won’t because she’s afraid that Ga Eul would favor the child, after all, she is his godmother.”

Ji Hoo nodded, “However, I am sure that Ga Eul wouldn’t do that. Are you feeling any better?”

So Min slightly smiled. “Dr. Kim said that I have a cold and she’ll call us in about the pregnancy test later, which I really don’t understand why it takes that long or why she had my blood be tested.”

“You’re right that is strange, but I am sure it’s just protocol. Plus, when was the last time you went for a checkup?” Ji Hoo eyed her suspiciously.

“A while.”

“For a doctor, you should know better,” he scolded her.

“I know, just because I’m a doctor doesn’t mean I am required to like doctor visits.”

Lunch was pleasant considering the couple was eating at the hospital canteen with thousands of eyes glued on the golden couple. Even months after the news that Ji Hoo was no longer on the market, many single nurses and doctors still had their eyes on Ji Hoo and patients too. Luckily, Ji Hoo aloof and cold demeanor didn’t change when it comes to people other than So Min. After lunch, the couple went back to work. Ji Hoo was in the middle of talking to a patient when Dr. Kim, So Min’s doctor, stopped by his office and told his assistant nurse to tell Ji Hoo to visit her office as soon as possible.

“Hello, Dr. Kim! I heard you wanted to have a word with me,” Ji Hoo said as he sat in front of the older woman’s desk.

“Yes, I needed to talk to you about this before I talk to your wife,” Dr. Kim’s voice was ambiguous, so Ji Hoo couldn’t make out if what she says is bad news or good.

“Professionally speaking, shouldn’t you speak with the patient first since we have a policy of patient confidentiality?”

Dr. Kim looked up from So Min’s test results with a sharp look in her eyes. “I know the rules very well Dr. Yoon,” she elongated, “however, I feel that you would be more thankful that I spoke with you first once I tell you the reason.”

Ji Hoo eyed the woman suspiciously; other than Ji Hoo himself the next prickly and aloof doctor was Dr. Kim, a middle age women who is married based on her ring finger, but everyone speculate that he doesn’t exist.

“I suggest you take your wife and put her in isolation treatment immediately.”