Chapter Thirty Six

Intertwined

“Is she going to be okay?” Ga Eul asked Ji Hoo as he handed her a cup of hot tea in his office.

“I’m honestly not sure yet. Dr. Kim has to track how the bacteria is reacting to the treatment.”

“Why didn’t you inform us sooner?” Jan Di asked. She felt so insensitive. She has been so worried about her own pregnancy that she didn’t even know about her friend’s illness.

“I told you as soon as I found out. We just found out recently, so I am hoping that she doesn’t have to be in isolation treatment too long.”

“God, I wished we were there for her when she found out. I wanted to at least talked to her before she went to be alone,” Jae Kyung said. “Have she heard what the hospital staff, especially the women, are saying?”

Ji Hoo shrugged. “I don’t care about them. I just want my wife to get better.”

“Well, that’s good news, you’re faithful.”

“I thought that’s a given since I’m Yoon Ji Hoo after all.”

“But you’re still a guy.”

“You women need to put more trust in me. After all, I’m not the one with the title of Don Juan and Casanova,” Ji Hoo replied tiredly.

“That’s why we’re worried, Sunbae. You’re like a little lamb and So Min is Mary,” Jan Di said referencing Mary Had a Little Lamb.

“It’s the 21st century, women no longer wait for men to make the move first. You’ll never know! One of these nurses can pounce on you at any minute!” Ga Eul warned as she poses as a puma ready to make a move on his prey.

“... Ladies, I am going to need you to leave. I really don’t have the time or the patience to deal with this irrelevant nonsense. Your best friend, my wife, is currently all alone in a room where she is cut off from the outside world fighting death itself. You all honestly think I have the time and energy to waste dealing with these foolish nurses? Although my wife is sick, I still have a responsibility as other patiences’ doctor to do my job and not let my personal life affect it,” Ji Hoo scoffs, “easier said than done. Now if you girls are done ranting about nothing, I am going to see my surgery then talk to Dr. Kim about my wife,” Ji Hoo said stiffly as he angrily left Jan Di, Ga Eul, and Jae Kyung in his office. 

Silence filled the room after Ji Hoo left. They all felt bad; they didn’t consider his current emotional condition. For once, he found someone he loves and she actually became his, but he hasn’t had her a for a year yet, she’s already battling for her life. Not only were they insensitive, they didn’t even think to worry about So Min’s well-being. 

“I think we should apologize to Sunbae later. Let’s go check out So Min first. The least we can do is actually take a look at her,” Jan Di suggested while the other two agreed.

“She’s not reacting to the treatment very well,” Dr. Kim told Ji Hoo honestly. “I was hoping for her to stay in isolation treatment for two months or so, but I think she is going to have to stay in isolation treatment for a year or so.”

Ji Hoo didn’t reply but only sighed and ran his hand down his haggard face. 

“I didn’t mean to be invasive, but I did hear about your promise to her,” Dr. Kim referred to the promise that Ji Hoo would take So Min out if she wasn’t responding well and do all the things on her bucket list with her, “and I don’t recommend you to keep your promise. She’s going to get better; it’s just going to take some time.”

“...Can she at least go to our friends’ wedding?”

“No.”

“She’s not going to go through this without a fight.”

“Your wife is indeed very fiesty, but she currently in the isolation room. Unless by some miracle she can sneak out pass all the nurses and doctors, then there is no way she can escape that room.”

“A promise is a promise though-”

“Yes, and a life is a life. This is your wife’s life; you should do what’s best for her, not what she wants to do.”

“I’ll talk to her.”

“No, I won’t let you talk to her until you promise me to not keep your promise with her; she cannot leave that room, not even for a second.”

Ji Hoo nodded in agreement. Dr. Kim has always been a voice of reason and intellect in the hospital; she doesn’t let emotions sway her, and she made damn well sure that most if not all of her patiences will survive any illness under her care. She has the longest streak for no mistakes and death as a doctor; therefore, having Dr. Kim as So Min’s doctor gave many the reassurance that So Min was going to survive this epidemic. 

So Min was currently in an encased glass room with monitors and wires hooked to her body. There was a television set for entertainment and a nurse call button; that was about it in the room. So Min is getting her nutrients through ivy needles; her cold has not gotten any better but it has not gotten worse under the watchful eyes of nurses and Dr. Kim. She could see her visitors come and go, but she couldn’t communicate with them; she could only read notes that they would write and press against the glass walls for her to read. 

“Knock- knock, stranger,” Ji Hoo said as he awkwardly gave So Min a kiss on the forehead with a surgeon mask covering his face, “how are you feeling?”

“Like ,” So Min replied back as she tried to sit up. “I want to get out of here.”

“...I know you do,” Ji Hoo slightly smiled as his fingers pushed her hair behind her ear.

“But you’re not going to let me leave,” So Min finished his sentence for him. “I figured that since I saw you talking to Dr. Kim and your expressions were as sour as rotten milk.”

“Well, at least you know that much,” Ji Hoo replied and continued to run his fingers through her hair.

So Min raised a brow at him, “Just because I know you won’t let me get out, doesn’t mean I don’t want to and won’t try to.”

“And you will fail. Dr. Kim has put you under surveillance twenty-four/seven.”

“Ji Hoo, how long am I supposed to be stuck in this glass room?”

“You have only been in this room for two days, and you’re already whining. I expected you to have more patience than that.”

So Min shot him a look, “Really?”

He laughed, “No, no, I wasn’t expecting you to be patient. You’re recovering, slowly, very slowly, but it is better than nothing.”

“So this means I won’t be there for Ga Eul’s wedding...”

“Yes, and you won’t be there for Jae Kyung’s wedding either.”

“You’re supposed to comfort me, not rub it in my face,” So Min pouted and almost on the verge of tears. Ji Hoo never specified how long she will be coup up in this room, cut off from social life and entertainment. She’s missing all the big events in her friends’ lives: she wanted to see her best friends get married; she wanted to see Chin Ho’s little baby face and watch the Gu couple become parents; she wanted so much. 

“I’m not supposed to do this, but I am going to do this anyway,” Ji Hoo declared before climbing into bed with So Min with the utmost care to avoid pulling at the wires connecting So Min to the machines. So Min tucked neatly between the nook of Ji Hoo’s neck and chest with his arm around her waist and settled on her tummy. “You know your friends are insane.”

So Min grinned. “I know; they came in earlier to apologize to me about doubting you.”

“They apologized to you? They should be apologizing to me!” Ji Hoo replied in fake appalled causing So Min to giggle.

“DR. YOON JI HOO! YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO LIE IN THE SAME BED AS THE PATIENT!” Dr. Kim screamed into the microphone causing So Min to laugh hysterically. 

“You’re about to get kicked out.”

“I locked the doors already.”

“They have keys.”

“Not when I am holding them right here,” Ji Hoo replied as he held them up.

“I won’t be surprised if after you get out of this room, you’re never coming back in,” So Min giggled as she looked at the glaring Dr. Kim. 

“She won’t stop me,” Ji Hoo replied and kissed the top of So Min’s head. “I promise you that I will be here almost every night with you until you get out.”

“Almost? Not every night?”

“As a doctor, you should know that that’s an almost impossible promise for me to make.”

“I know; I just wanted to give you a hard time.”

“I know,” Ji Hoo replied and hugged her tighter to his side. This was the only form of comfort he could give her for now. Knowing how proactive and energetic So Min is, Ji Hoo knew very well that keeping her locked inside a room was like sending her to hell. She’s going to get bored and miss her friends. As So Min’s breathing slowed indicating that she’s sleeping, Ji Hoo was debating whether to call her father or leave him out of this. Harabeoji Yoon had been informed of So Min’s condition through a phone call with the hospital Dean, and the old man is bound to be in Seoul any minute know. So Min’s illness can take a turn for the worse at any moment; therefore, Ji Hoo wanted her to feel surrounded by her friends and family, all her loved ones are there for her. 

“You know, you’re not supposed to do that,” Dr. Kim reprimanded as she handed Ji Hoo a hot cup of coffee when he exited So Min’s glass room. 

“I know, but I am going to continue to do it,” Ji Hoo grinned cheekily at the older doctor. “You have to understand, we are newly weds.”

“I can hardly call you two newly weds,” Dr. Kim muttered but did not object to Ji Hoo’s wish. Both doctors parted ways and began their work in the hospital with So Min still heavily sounded asleep.

“I have no mood to plan for my wedding,” Ga Eul whined.

“You won’t even have a wedding to plan if you don’t persuade Yi Jeong’s grandfather,” Jan Di reminded Ga Eul. 

Jae Kyung and Ga Eul gathered at Jan Di’s home for the day to plan and coordinate Ga Eul’s wedding. Baby Chin Ho was upstairs fast asleep. “Don’t say that Jan Di!” Jae Kyung lightly pushed Jan Di. “His grandfather will come around soon.”

“She’s right though; Yi Jeong has been busy with the gallery, and the fact that his grandfather refuses to allow me to visit him makes it really hard to get to know him.”

“Is Yi Jeong helping you out any?” Jan Di asked.

“He’s trying his best, but you know, he’s busy; however, his mother and father are doing a lot of talking with his grandfather, especially his mother.”

“That’s nice that you have your mother-in-law’s approval,” Jan Di said as she reminisced the days when Jun Pyo’s mother disapproved of her.

“Well, Dragon Mom seems to be a lot nicer to you ever since you got pregnant,” Jae Kyung commented.

“Of course! Her son isn’t going to leave me even if she held a knife to his throat, and I just gave her a grandchild and an heir to the Gu Dynasty.”

“Ahem!”

“Madame Gu!” Jae Kyung and Ga Eul exclaimed.

“Eomeonim!” Jan Di exclaimed at the same time.

“Ga Eul-shi, do you mind if you accompany me and your mother-in-law for the day?”

“Uh- I... um-”

“Your mother wishes for me to accompany her to Yi Jeong’s grandfather, and the way I see it, it is better if I bring you with me. Before we go though, we must get you a better wardrobe to meet Senior So,” Jun Pyo’s mother said stiffly as he stared Ga Eul up a down before flashing Jan Di and Jae Kyung a small smile.

“Eomeonim, Ga Eul-”

“I was not suggesting that she come with me,” the elder woman replied back before snapping her fingers and three maid appeared to give her sunglasses, coat, and purse. She was about to leave when she noticed that Ga Eul has yet to pick up her belongings and follow her. She gave Ga Eul a blank stare that sent Ga Eul scrambling to her feet and saying quick goodbyes to her friends.

“I can’t believe I never noticed how scary she was...” Jae Kyung mumbled as she watched Ga Eul leave with Jun Pyo’s mother.

Jan Di scoffed. “Of course you didn’t. She approved of you; therefore, she somewhat cordial toward you.”

Jae Kyung bobbed her head, “That’s very true.”

Just when Jan Di was about to say something else, a baby cry was heard through the baby monitor. “Oh come on! Chin Ho! Give mama a break!”

Jae Kyung busted out laughing. Jan Di and Jun Pyo has been complaining nonstop about their new born son and his difficulties. Jan Di didn’t want strangers taking care of her baby; she wanted to personally do virtually everything. Jun Pyo and Jan Di would take turn in the middle of the night to go soothe their child or change its diaper. The only thing that they didn’t take turn doing was feeding Chin Ho since Jan Di decided to feed. “Well, I am going to let you go do your motherly things while I go visit So Min again.”

“I want to come too!”

“No, you need to stay home and be a good mommy!”

“Don’t leave me with the mini devil! I can’t handle the crying anymore!” Jan Di whined as she yearned for the young heiress, but it was too late Jae Kyung had already escaped Jan Di’s reach.

Going shopping with Jun Pyo’s mother was a new experience for Ga Eul; everywhere she walked, people would bow in deep respect for the elder woman. The extent of Shinwha’s influence on Korea’s economy has never been so tangible and real to her. As soon as the ladies stepped foot in a store, immediately, they are greeted by the managers themselves and have all the other customers out of the store. 

“This is why she’s my friend,” Yi Jeong’s mother whispered to Ga Eul. “Shopping with her is like going to candyland.”

“I thought we were going to go see Harabeoji So.”

“We are, but before we do, I must do something about your... way of dressing,” Madame Gu said as she tsked giving Ga Eul a stare down. “If you’re going to be a So’s daughter-in-law, you must dress the part and play the part well. You seem to have more grace than my daughter-in-law; therefore, I believe that the task is not out of your range of capabilities.”

Mrs. So grinned, “She’s complimenting you dear.”

Mrs. Gu grunted in reply and continue to wander the store. “We will be meeting Grandpa So tonight at a very elite social event; you can only get in with an invite.”

“But I wasn’t invited,” Ga Eul replied as she obediently followed the older ladies around the shop.

“You may have the grace that my daughter-in-law lack, but you two share the same brain density. Of course you don’t have an invite! You’re coming as my guest, and if a Gu takes a guest to a party, my dear, you better believe she shall steal the show that night,” Madame Gu said pompously and continued her disdain looks for the outfits in front of her.

“Darling, prepare yourself, this shopping trip will be long and tedious,” Mrs. So warned. Knowing her friend, Madame Gu will not relent until she has found the absolute perfect show stopping dress for Ga Eul.