Chapter Five

Intertwined

 

“What is going on?” So Min asked her family.

After the opening party, the Jung family and the two Yoon men went to a restaurant to have dinner. The Gu couple went home first.  Nobody really wants to know what those two are really up to. Yi Jeong had plans to take his country bumpkin to see a personal performance of Goong the Musical in the theater while Prince Song took Monkey out to watch an underground fighting match. It was amazing at how everyone in F4 seems to have a second half that fit just for them.

“Your father and Mr. Yoon has decided to carry out this marriage since you two seem to be fond of each other and it will be beneficial to all of us,” Jang Mi’s mother said begrudgingly. Obviously, she wanted her own daughter to be married to such a grand name family.

So Min frowned and looked at her father dead in the eye. “You never consulted me in this matter. I have told you before that I will marry who I want to marry and you will not have a say in this matter.”

“I am your father!” Mr. Jung said. He wasn’t angry at his daughter; he knew very well in his heart that she will never accept him back in her life because for 18 years she has thought that he was dead and to today, she acts as if he was dead.

“So what?! Marriage is something that I will decide on my own. What about Ji Hoo-shi? Shouldn’t he have a say in this matter too? We live in the twenty first century for Christ sake!” She looked over at Ji Hoo to urge him to say something.

He wasn’t surprise that this day has finally come. He wasn’t sure why So Min had such a violent reaction to the news because this should be like the normal thing to happen. He was still trying to put the pieces together of the life of Jung So Min. “I have nothing to say,” he answered in his usual calm voice.

She looked at him with wide eyes. “Are you kidding me?” It wasn’t that she hated Ji Hoo in fact it was just the opposite. She enjoyed talking to him and hanging out with her friends and F4. It was just the idea of a force marriage that irks her.

He stayed quiet.

Mr. Yoon wasn’t surprised at So Min’s resistance. He remembered her because she was a girl who saved his life when he visited England. “So Min, is it because you don’t like my grandson?”

So Min looked at the elderly man with the nicest and calmest smile she can muster up for the situation. “No sir, it’s not that I don’t like Ji Hoo-shi. He is very nice and… charming,” she said. “What the hell? Charming?!” she thought to herself suddenly. “I just don’t find the idea of arranged marriage appealing.”

Mr. Yoon laughed at her respond. “If Ji Hoo proposes to you will you say yes?”

Ji Hoo chocked on his cup of tea at this comment. So Min turned and patted him on the back to help him a little, but then turn back to face Mr. Yoon since he seem to has taken her action into something else. However, she couldn’t answer that question.

“Ji Hoo-ah, get down on one knee and propose to her,” Mr. Yoon commanded as if it was nothing.

Ji Hoo and So Min almost fell out of their chairs. They were rendered speechless by the old man’s perseverance. Everyone in the room thought, “Damn… this old man is really something else.”

“Go on! Get on your knees, child,” Grandfather Yoon urged.

“Aniyo!” So Min said and put her hand on Ji Hoo shoulder to stop him from moving. “Whether he proposes or not is not that problem here. I want to be able to decide my own marriage.”

Grandfather Yoon sighed. “This child is too hard headed,” he thought. “So Min-ah, do you remember three years ago in the United Kingdom?” he questioned So Min with his voice changed to the voice of an old grandfather.

So Min shakes her head no. “I was in Manchester studying there. Why?”

“You use an abandoned alley as your short cut to get to classes right?”

“H-how did you know?” So Min asked in surprised while everyone else looked at the old man with questions of how he can know such things about her life in the UK.

“Well remember that one time you were running down that alley and tripped over an old homeless Korean man?” Grandfather Yoon tried jolt her memories.

So Min thought about it hard. “I think so… oh my God! I remember now! You… you were the old man?!”

Grandfather Yoon smiled and glad that the young girl remembers him. “I want to repay you for your kindness. If you didn’t stop to save me, you would have been able to stay in school.”

So Min chuckled sheepishly. It was something that she doesn’t really want to remember. If she hadn’t been lazy during her university days, she wouldn’t have been kicked out for skipping anyways. “Uh… haha it wasn’t your fault really.”

“Please dear, as an old man, I really need to repay you or else my conscience will be burdened.”

So Min frowned. “You don’t have to repay me by giving your grandson to me!”

Grandfather Yoon smiled. “That is only a part of the marriage. Your father and I are doing business so marriage between you and Ji Hoo is inevitable anyways. So Min, do you really not like my grandson that much?” he played this card once again because he knew that she would feel guilty for no apparent reason.

“Mr. Yoon-”

“Call me Grandpa.”

“Okay, harabeoji, I told you! It’s not because I don’t like Ji Hoo-shi, I just don’t want to be forced into a marriage.”

“Of course, that’s why Ji Hoo will propose to you!”

Ji Hoo and So Min sighed in defeat.

“Okay then! You’re marriage will continue as planned,” Mr. Jung said happily and smiled with Grandpa Yoon while Jang Mi and Madam Jung look unhappy.

In the end, Ji Hoo had to take So Min home and agreed to find a way to propose to her but it doesn’t matter how he propose, she has to say yes. So Min wasn’t mad for say, maybe just a little uncomfortable, but she wouldn’t lie. She enjoys talking to Ji Hoo.

“You have an interesting grandfather,” So Min commented on their way walking. She wanted to walk home, but Ji Hoo insisted to take here; therefore, he left his car and walked with her to ensure her safety. What a true Prince Charming.

He laughed. “Indeed he is. Since you’re friends with Jan Di-ah and seem to already know F4 like the back of your hand, I am going to assume that you know about my grandfather and me.”

She nodded. “Yup, Jan Di can’t lie when she drinks,” she said and laughed.

“It doesn’t seem fair,” he said.

“What?” she asked.

“You know a lot more than I know about. That shouldn’t be fair,” he said with a smile. He didn’t know why, but he enjoyed her presence with him. She makes him and laugh and wonder all the time even though they just met less than twenty four hours ago.

She laughed and patted his shoulder. “Well you have all the time in the world to get to know me better now that our marriage is impending.”

“She was so against it and now she is joking about it? What’s with her?” he wondered as he watch the girl next to him walk aimlessly and carelessly while kicking rocks out of her way. “You’re right. After a year or so we can divorce,” he said thinking that it was absolutely normal. Sure, chaebol divorces are scandalized, but to Ji Hoo, it doesn’t really matter since there are usually or no scandals about him.

She stopped midway after hearing his comment and she stepped in front of him. Her eye brows buried together with a small pout on her lip. She stared at him in the eye.

“What?” he asked.

“We are not getting a divorce,” she said firmly and continue look at him without blinking.

“Excuse me?” he wasn’t offended or anything just confused.

“We are not getting a divorce,” she repeated but nicely this time. It was as though she saw the confusion in his eyes. “You are probably thought that since I refuse this marriage so much it is better to get a divorce after awhile right?”

He could only nod and wonder how she can read his mind.

Her smile returned. “Thank you for being very considerate. However, I am a devote Catholic; divorce is completely out of the question.”

His mouth formed an ‘oh’ shaped.

“I guess that the girls were right that you are the Prince Charming of F4, huh?” she teased. Yes, she did hate almost all the princes from fairytale, but Ji Hoo seems like a normal prince. This was reality, and he is right in front of her. She can see that he is actually sincere of others well being instead of relying on fictional stories from the Grimm Brothers.

He chuckled. “Wow… I never knew that even Jae Kyung and Ga Eul saw me as the Prince Charming. I wonder why none of them like me though?” he joked.

She laughed and resumed walking. “Because even though you’re a prince, you have your 4 dimensional sides that creeps everyone out,” she said skipped. “But that’s fine with me. That means you’re human. If I married a true prince charming, I’ll probably go crazy and end up killing him,” she added.

“Oh, that makes me want to marry you more, huh?”

She continues to laugh. “You know, everyone says you don’t talk much, but I don’t think that’s true.” She noticed that she and him get along quite well and they chatted easily too.

He became a little quieter and stopped his silly chuckling and back tracked his steps. She was right. He has been talking more than usual, laughing and chuckling a lot more too. Maybe it was because he has always been the listener, it was nice to have someone who is willing to talk but at the same time listen. He shrugged in reply. “I guess it’s because my friends has more to say than I do. You know Jan Di and Jae Kyung. They’re not the quiet type, and now that you met Jun Pyo in person. He is definitely not quiet either.”

She laughed and agreed. They reached her home in no time, but they both were kind of sad that she was home already. He was surprised that she lived in such a small place, but he figured that he can ask those questions later. The exchanged their cell number and bid their farewell for the night. He said that she should stop by the hospital tomorrow, and he will help her land a job. It’s amazing how you can meet a person less than twenty four hours ago, but find some many things interesting about them and find the littlest trait just because you are fond of that one person. Of course, So Min had the upper hand, but the descriptions from her friends don’t do Ji Hoo justice.

The next day, she followed his directions and went to the hospital. She didn’t get to see him because he was performing a surgery and then observing another one. “Busy fellow,” she thought as she listen to one of the senior doctor explain on his behalf of why he couldn’t show her around himself. He led her to the dean and took his leave.

“Hello Ms. Jung, I was expecting you today. I heard great things for Jan Di-ah and Ji Hoo,” the older man said with a smile and urged her to sit down.

“Thank you so much for putting me into consideration,” she said gratefully.

“I read from your resume that you work well with children correct?”

“Yes.”

“You are also an excellent surgeon student, no?”

“Um, ye,” she answered sheepishly. He made her sound incredible.

“Great, you will be shadowing and an intern doctor for Dr. Yoon,” the dean said with finality.

“Dr. Yoon?” she asked again for reassurance. “Please tell me it’s not Ji Hoo because if it is, our families set this up obviously,” she thought.

“Your fiancé,” he answered.

“No,” she replied back.

“Pardon me?”

“I don’t want to work with Ji Hoo. This is obviously planned by my family, no?”

The dean laughed. “Yoon Seok Young did mention about you will not give in without a fight. You’re right this is a part of your family and Ji Hoo’s grandfather’s scheme; however, Ji Hoo is really the only doctor that is without an intern.”

“What about Dr. Gu Jan Di?”

He smiled. “Her husband has got so many doctors by her side to help her that it is overwhelming when they travel in a pack.”

The door opened and that stopped So Min from replying. “Oh, you’re here I see,” Ji Hoo said pleasantly while closing a document and took a seat on the last seat available. “Dean, this is the observations on the surgery just now,” he said and handed over the document.

“Good,” he said gratefully and took it from Ji Hoo. “By the way, Ji Hoo, it’s good that you’re here with us. Jung So Min will be your intern for this year. Be sure to teach her well. That will be all, both of you may leave now,” he dismissed them without giving So Min a chance to put up her fight.

So Min had no other choice but to follow Ji Hoo back to his office. The walk was silent. Both of them didn’t know what to say to the other. It continued like that even when they made themselves comfortable in his office.

He never had an intern before. Partially, it was because he didn’t talk much and most of his interns can’t understand him because of that. He doesn’t get angry at them, but instead keeps quiet and do things by himself. He never did like the idea of letting someone else do his work. He didn’t want to be mean to So Min, but he really didn’t like the idea of her being his intern.

“Wow… this is awkward,” she finally said to speak the ice.

“Yeah.”

“So… should I start today as your intern?” she asked. Her optimism rece again bringing a smile to his face.

“Sure, but I am going to warn you, I don’t have an experience in having an intern that stays long so don’t be expecting anything,” Ji Hoo warned honestly.

She smiled. “Bring it on! I am not like any of your other interns. I studied in Manchester, I am friends with Madam Gu and heiress Jae Kyung, and soon I will be your wife. I think you’re the one that should be scared of me,” she teased and he laughed.

“Maybe working with her wouldn’t be so bad,” he thought as he continued to watch her smile brightly while looking around his office.