Chapter Thirty One

Intertwined

 

 

“I swear, I felt and still feel like murdering her,” So Min’s low whispered came from the doctor’s lounge room. She was on the phone with Ga Eul venting her frustration out from unresolved needs.

After Hyun Ah left, Ji Hoo and So Min couldn’t finish what they were doing because So Min was called to the children ward for an emergency, a mother feared that her child had leukemia and demanded that the head doctor see him. You could only imagine Ji Hoo’s face when their door opened again. It was grimmer than the grim weeper himself. He muttered ‘we always have the greatest luck’ in a heavy sarcastic voice. The poor nurse exited out flustered noticing how their clothes were scattered around the room. The only thing Ji Hoo and So Min could do was to look at each other longingly. And after So Min left, Ji Hoo decided to take an extremely cold shower before picking up where he left off in work.

Ga Eul laughed musically. She has been in a lighter mood lately with the wedding only two weeks away. Yi Jeong’s mother and her get along very well, and she couldn’t be happier because Yi Jeong told her that she is allowed to redecorate his mansion the way she wants to. Now a days, the press couldn’t sour her mood anymore. "Okay okay!" she exclaimed because she has had enough of So Mon's complaining. "I called not because I wanted to listen to you complain but because I am informing you that we have to go pick Jae Kyung up from the airport tomorrow afternoon. Woo Bin is apparently banned from picking her up in fear that the paparazzi will go berserk once they see each other together.”

"Well obviously, the story behind their wedding is that they eloped together. Now that I think about it, Jae Kyung is going to be a mobster princess. You think she would send some of her men to take out Hyun Ah if I asked her to?" So Min wondered out loud.

"You can try but I don't encourage violence," Ga Eul answered while giggling at how her friend couldn’t let go of a grudge. “But if you ask her sister in-law Hae Ra, I am sure that she would love taking Hyun Ah out for you.”

So Min laughed in response. "Okay okay, back to business, we have to get Jae Kyung to her bride’s maid dress fitting after we pick her up,” she reminded Ga Eul.

“I can’t even believe that in less than a month I will be married!” Ga Eul squealed excitedly. Life just gets better and better for Ga Eul. She loves her job, her family in law adores her, and she is marrying someone she loves, her soulmate, So Yi Jeong.

Just hearing how excited and happy Ga Eul was made So Min grinned and forgot about Hyun Ah. So Min has always felt joy when her friends are happy. “Okay my blushing bride! I have to get back to work, and you, my dear, have a lunch date with her father in law.”

Ga Eul groans. “Why don’t you come with me?” Ga Eul doesn’t mind Yi Jeong’s father, but she usually meets him with Yi Jeong or his mother around. This was going to be the first time she has lunch with her father in law alone.

“No thanks. I have to keep an eye on my children ward and that conniving fox Hyun Ah. I heard that she and Ji Hoo will be spending A LOT more time together since the new ward is opening soon.”

“Well, you can trust Ji Hoo sunbae,” Ga Eul reassured So Min. “I’ll call you after I finish my lunch with father-in law.”

“Good luck with that!” So Min replied. “And it’s not him that I don’t trust. It’s her.”

Ga Eul and Yi Jeong’s father met at a local dining area. It wasn’t anything fancy; it was just a nice, quiet, simple place to have a nice lunch and small chats. Ga Eul was a little nervous for this meeting because Yi Jeong doesn’t know she is going out to eat with his father. You would think that as Yi Jeong’s mother got back on her feet, his hatred and blame toward his father would lessen, but it was the exact opposite. Yi Jeong, seeing how happy his mother is now causes him to wonder what his mother was like before she met his father, was she this happy. Or maybe, she was even happier than now. Yi Jeong blamed his father even more for taking away his mother’s happiness and causing her to be a suicidal woman. Ga Eul has been trying hard to mend their relationship, but Yi Jeong isn’t cooperating. Every time she suggests that we visit his father, he would pretend he has something more important to do. When she ask him to have lunch with his father, he would tell her that he has a meeting and would be skipping lunch.

Well lunch with So Hyun Sub is nothing like a walk in the park. It was like an elephant has just entered the entire diner. Ga Eul took small sips from her glass of water while trying to avoid the awkward silence.

“How is the wedding plans going?” So Hyun Sub finally asked.

“It’s good. Everything is in place and ready to go,” Ga Eul answered immediately.

So Hyun Sub nodded pleasantly. “That’s good to hear dear. I am sorry that our first meeting ended wrongly,” he said referring to the first ‘date’ with Yi Jeong that ended in disaster and a glass of water in his face.”

“It’s all in the past, sir,” she replied back nicely.

“You’re not going to keep calling me sir even after the marriage right?” Yi Jeong’s father chuckled. “Anyways, I didn’t call you out for lunch because of your wedding with Yi Jeong.”

“Then…”

“Your mother in law.”

“Huh?” Ga Eul replied back in utter confusion.

“Yi Jeong’s mother, my wife,” he clarified, “how is she doing?”

“Umm, she’s good. Actually, she’s great. She’s getting ready for her art exhibition in Rome, Italy.”

Yi Jeong’s father nodded in comprehension. "How is her… illness?” he asked in lack of a better word.

“It’s not a problem anymore. She just has to take a pill each day now,” Ga Eul said coolly. "Is he feeling guilty right now?" Ga Eul inquired as she stared at an older face of Yi Jeong's. "So this is where Yi Jeong gets his poker face," she added as she continues to observe her father in law. Hyun Sub stayed very calm as he finishes off his lunch.

"That's good to hear," Yi Jeong's father said calmly. "Yuna seems to be very fond of you. She has been talking about you to my father for the longest time."

Ga Eul choked on her tea for a moment there. "... Yi Jeong's grandfather?"

Hyun Sub smiled. "Yi Jeong hasn't mention him to you has he?"

Ga Eul could only shake her head in confusion.

"Smart boy," Hyun Sub simply say. "Well my dear, as a father in law, I would advise you to be on your best behavior. My father is a very traditional man, and he believes in the saying 'Where your parents place you, you must stay'."

"Is he why Yi Jeong believes in arrange marriages?"

Hyun Sub simply nodded. "I am sure that my son will try to hide you from his grandfather until after your wedding."

Ga Eul frowned. "I can't believe he hid this from me." 

"Now now, don't blame Yi Jeong. He's doing this for your own good. I second his decision, and I bet you that's why Yuna has been spending more time with my father." Hyun Sub knows it very well that his wife has spending more and more time at his father's mansion because he often visits his father for business related matters and lately he has been Skype-ing his father instead because he has seen Yuna's car parked at the mansion during his visits. Another reason why he knew was because every time the business conversation was done, his father would mention his wife to him.

Ga Eul continues to frown despite it. "I just wish he would have told me."

"What for my dear? Even if he had told you, you wouldn't be able to sway my father. Let Yuna take care of my father side. You just worry about getting the wedding planned and just get married to my son. After the wedding my father can't do anything about it."

"Could I please have the address of Grandfather So's mansion?" Ga Eul asked calmly and poised.

"Ga Eul," Hyun Sub hoped that he could persuade out of whatever she was planning to do. "I-"

"Father, I wish to have Yi Jeong's grandfather's address," Ga Eul said firmly.

Hyun Sub could do nothing but give into Ga Eul's glare. As soon as Ga Eul left, Hyun Sub mind went completely blank. The only thing he could do now is warn Yi Jeong and his wife. He tried calling Yi Jeong but it seems that his son has blocked all his calls. The only thing he could do now is call his wife.

"Yoboseyo?"

"Yuna."

"This is she. May I ask who is calling?"

Hyun Sub could only stare at his phone bewilderedly. For years, this same woman has called him crying and begging him to come see her, but for the first time, he imitated the call, and yet she can't even recognize his voice... incredulous. "Your husband," he said blandly.

"...Oh. What can I help you with?" Yuna asked in a profession and calm voice.

Hyun Sub stared at his phone again before answering her. “Ga Eul knows about father. It seems as if she’s going to head over to his place.”

“…”

“Did you hear me?”

“… Yes, goodbye,” Yi Jeong’s mother said quickly and hung up without letting his father say a proper goodbye.

Once again, Hyun Sub stared at a cut off phone, amazed with his wife’s sudden turn in character. Yi Jeong’s mother on the hand felt like her heart was going to beat out of her ribcage. Ever since her condition has gotten better with the help of Ga Eul, Yuna hasn’t contacted her husband once. Another reason is that World War III is about to break out between Yi Jeong’s grandfather and Ga Eul.

“Knock knock!” So Min’s voice rang through Ji Hoo’s office as she entered. It was lunch time, and she was hoping that they’ll go eat together. She looked around trying to locate Ji Hoo only to find his office was empty and his doctor’s coat was hanging on coat stand while his jacket was missing. “Did he already go out to lunch?” So Min wondered as she fished out her cell phone.

“Hey! Where are you? I was hoping we could grab lunch together.”

“Can’t, I am having lunch with Hyun Ah to discuss about the new ward,” Ji Hoo replied in a rush while So Min heard some paper rustling in the background.

“… Oh, well then, have a nice lunch,” So Min said trying to mask her dejection.

As she was about to hang up Ji Hoo said, “I left the car key in my desk drawer, so you go ahead and go home tonight. I’ll be home a little later. Oh and you should also eat dinner without me.”

“Got it,” So Min said quickly but it was too late. Ji Hoo already hung up when another nurse came in to ask for his presence in the Dean’s office. “Stupid jerk! You could have at least said ‘bye’. Didn’t even make time for lunch with me, the least he could do was reserve dinner with me.”

That night So Min ate dinner alone in the living room watching reruns of the Golden Girls. It’s not like she has never eaten dinner alone before, but she felt especially lonely tonight. She has gotten so used to Ji Hoo eating dinner with her at home or at work. Jae Kyung is still in Macau, Jan Di is busy preparing to be a mom, and Ga Eul is busy preparing for her wedding. Ji Hoo brought her a feeling she never felt before: yearning. So Min has always envied children with their parents, but as she grew up, she learned to live without it. She always told herself that she doesn’t need anyone to take care of her. Having friends is a good thing, but if one day, So Min has to live alone in the cold world, she’ll be okay. So Min is no weakling who accepts her fate with self-pity. She challenges fate. She dares it to try and ruin her life again. She’ll even scare her misfortunes away.

So Min sighed as she started washing the dishes with Golden Girls playing in the background. “Since when did I feel so pathetic?” she asked aloud. “Dinner alone is nothing new. Why am I so bothered about?” she asked herself again as she placed the dishes in the dish dryer. She closed it using her back and leaned against it while the dryer started to hum, still muttering to herself. She drew out her cell phone and texted Ji Hoo.

Hey! When are you coming home? Don’t overwork yourself! J –Yoon So Min

So Min continued to stare at her phone screen expecting Ji Hoo to reply any minute now, but he hasn’t. She frowned and marched back to the living room. “What? You’re so busy that you can’t ­even send a text to me? I bet you’re having a jolly time chatting it up with Hyun Ah!”

“I didn’t respond because I was already home when I got your text. And no, I did not have a jolly time chatting it up with Hyun Ah,” Ji Hoo’s voice came from behind her.

“Ji Hoo! When did you get home?!” So Min jumped. She ran over and helped Ji Hoo hang his jacket and grabbed his bag as he loosened his tie. “Boy, is this what every housewives go through?” she thought as she realized her actions and thoughts. She acted and sounded exactly like those housewives at home waiting for their husbands. “I really need a new hobby,” she muttered to herself.

“What was that?”

“Huh? Oh nothing. Just talking to myself,” So Min grinned as she looked at Ji Hoo’s tried face.

“What? I’m so handsome, so you can’t stop staring at my face?” Ji Hoo teased as he hugged her from behind and guided her toward their bedroom.

So Min grinned and let him lead her. “Yeah, I was just wondering why do you have to be so pretty that all the girls like you.”

Ji Hoo chuckled in returned and replied, “Why? Are you jealous?”

“Pft, no,” So Min answered back as she took out Ji Hoo’s pajamas and handed them to him.

“Good,” Ji Hoo replied. He really doesn’t like to have complicated relationships. “You have nothing to worry about anyways. You’re already THE Mrs. Yoon Ji Hoo.”

“I know, but Hyun Ah makes me feel uneasy,” she replied and climbed into bed too.

Ji Hoo pulled her closer to his side and cradled her in his arms. “I know, and I promise that as soon as the new ward is stable and completely established, she and I won’t be meeting. She is going to be transferred back to Seoul’s Public Hospital. But let’s put that aside, our schedule are cleared for the next three months.”

“Really?!”

“Yeah, Harabeoji is getting anxious about our wedding. Do you want to plan this wedding yourself or have a wedding planner?”

“Depends, how big do you want the wedding?”

“Anything is fine with me, how do you want it? People say that in a wedding there are two main characters but the groom just has to show up and say ‘I do’ when the time comes.”

“Well, I was thinking maybe a tiny wedding ceremony and a reception at our house… okay maybe not our house but at Jan Di’s house since it’s a lot bigger.”

Ji Hoo frowned.

“What? You don’t like that idea?”

“I have just realized that I haven’t shown you my house.

So Min raised her brow. “This is your house.

“Do you honestly think that a multimillionaire, like me, only own this one puny house?” Ji Hoo asked and flicked her forehead. “I have a house in New Zealand on the Lake Snow Mountain Matheson, a condo in New York City, another mansion in San Francisco, and two houses in Seoul.”

“Oh my God! Ji Hoo!” So Min slapped him on the shoulder. “Why do you need that many homes?!”

Ji Hoo shrugged. “I got bored.”

“So you decided to buy houses?” So Min asked in disbelief. “My God, if you die before me, I am going to be rich!”

Ji Hoo pinched her cheeks and replied, “You’re already rich; you’re my wife. Also, how dare you wish for my death?”

So Min grinned and kissed him on the cheek before straddling on top of him. “Why don’t we finish what we didn’t get to last night?” she said with a wink.

“If this is your way of saying I’m sorry, then I’ll accept, but on my terms,” he replied and somehow pinned her down on the bed instead.

She giggled and pulled him down for a kiss. The loneliness she felt was gone just by one touch from him. It was scary how much he affected her. It was less than a year ago that So Min was all alone in her apartment, now she is married and living in a warm cozy house. Life is good. Everyday waking up next to Ji Hoo brings her joy and warmth, something she has yearned for all her life. Her parents were no prime example or married life, but she managed her way through. That night, she slept soundly in the arms of Ji Hoo. If time could stop, she wishes it would stop now. Yes, she loves her friends, but Ji Hoo has crept into her heart and refuses to leave.