Chapter Three

Intertwined

 

Ji Hoo just came out from a ten hour surgery performance. He was tired, sleepy, and hungry. He retreated back into his office, the only place where he can rest for just a moment. As he went in, his eyes recognize three figures waiting for him in his office.

“Yes?” he asked as he entered and close the door behind him.

“What took you so long?! You know that Jan Di is coming back today! What if we’re late to pick her up?!” Jun Pyo’s voice boomed throughout the room.

Ji Hoo just shakes his head in despair.

Woo Bin smiled and saved his dying friend. “Yo man, chillax!” he said to Jun Pyo. “My man here just came out from saving someone’s life, give him a break will ya?” he asked in his gangster-ish voice and patted Ji Hoo’s back proudly.  

“Don’t fret Jun Pyo. Their plane doesn’t get here for at least an hour. We still have time,” Yi Yeong said cooly.

Ji Hoo just looked at his Casanova friend and thinking, “You’re just as worried and excited to see Ga Eul as Jun Pyo,” he thought and continued to stare.

Yi Jeong knew that look and chuckled at Jun Pyo. It was obviously a way to divert the attention to someone else.

“Alright, let’s go!” Woo Bin said and walked out the office first.

Ji Hoo shook his head. “I told you guys already. I won’t be able to pick the girls up with you.”

“Dude!” Woo Bin spoke again.

“Yah! My wife is coming back, you should go and see her,” Jun Pyo threatened.

Ji Hoo shrugged. “Exactly, Jan Di-ah is your wife not mine,” he said looking at Jun Pyo making him shut up. “Ga Eul-yang is Yi Jeong’s fiancé, and Monkey is Prince Song’s playmate.”

“Yo man! Slow your roll! What you talking ‘bout?!” Woo Bin gave Ji Hoo a slight shove indication ‘shut up or I’ll get my men on you’.

Yi Jeong nodded and saw where Ji Hoo was coming from. “He’s right, Jun Pyo. Hey man, it’s our fault. We forgot you told us you can’t go already,” he said. Yi Jeong was also a true friend like that.

Ji Hoo smiled gratefully at Yi Jeong. “Alright, go on; go find your wife, fiancé, and… girlfriend.”

“She is NOT my girlfriend! Don Juan doesn’t grow attached!” Woo Bin said proudly as Yi Jeong shakes his head and pushed his Don Juan friend out the door with Jun Pyo following suit waving good bye to his silent friend.

Ji Hoo waited until his friends were out of sight before he closed the door and slump down on his sofa and in front of the flat screen television. He grabbed the remote while his eyes were closed and his stereo and soft music played relaxing him until a sudden arrival of his grandfather interrupted his serenity.

“Ji Hoo-ah!” his grandfather’s raspy voice called out to him.

“Ye harabeoji,” he replied and opened his eyes to see his grandfather staring down at him giving him a little fright.

Grandfather Yoon gave a hearty laugh at his grandson’s reaction and took a seat next to him. “How is work coming along? I heard from the dean that you have been working very hard and well.”

Ji Hoo gave him his well known shrug. “I guess so,” he replied.

“Ji Hoo-ah, I’m sorry,” he said with most sincere voice any grandchild could hear. “I have a favor to ask of you.”

After the help of Jan Di, Ji Hoo’s and his grandfather’s relationship has gotten a lot better. “What it is harabeoji?” he asked looking at Grandpa Yoon. He could have sworn he saw an apologetic look on the old man’s face with sorry eyes, but something amiss. If he was sorry, why is it that Grandpa Yoon was wearing a small smile on his lips?

“Tell me again why I am doing this?” So Min asked herself as she looked at herself in the mirror inside a fancy room.

Her hair pulled out of her usual high pony tail and curled into loose curls. Her usual skinny jeans switched to branded name white with black stripes trousers; she refused to wear the white skirt that was laid out for her. She had on a thin white cami with a light pink bra underneath, obviously visible through the thin white material with only a dark blue blouse as a cover with all the buttons ed except for the middle one that put emphasizes on her small waist. Her feet were wearing Ralph Lauren slip on and off dark blue heeled wedges. Her slender wrist wearing heavy worth charm bracelet, and her neck had a small locket that her mother left her. Her earrings were simple small diamond studs. She looked like an absolute young missy of a prestigious family.

‘She came back from the trip with Ga Eul, Jan Di, and Jae Kyung just today and a few hours ago. Jan Di told Jun Pyo the wrong time on propose to give her some time to escape. She was about to take the bus down to her rundown apartment when her phone rang from the second to  most unpleasant woman on earth, her half sister, Jang Mi.

“Hello?” So Min’s voice answered unpleasantly.

“Unnie!” Jang Mi’s fake voice rang through the phone.

“What do you want from me? I will show up for the family meeting.”

“Well the family meeting is for you to meet a eligible husband,” she warned.

So Min’s eyes scrutinized in skeptic as to why her hated half sister is warning her. “Why are you telling me this? Get to the point; you’re wasting my valuable time.”

Jang Mi scoffed. “Jung So Min, it’s good to know that you’re not as dumb as my omma take you for. Appa wants you to marry someone that he has picked out.”

“And that is news how?”

“My omma doesn’t want you to marry him. Actually, I don’t want you to marry him. Oppa is mine,” Jang Mi said triumphantly.

“Naturally, don’t you worry,” So Min said full of annoyance. “I will not be taking your useless oppa away from you. If you like him that much to call me, then he is not my type,” she said and hung up without saying goodbye nor allowing Jang Mi to say a word.

So Min sighed as she stared at the odd reflection in the mirror. She won’t lie and say she downright hated this look on her because she doesn’t. She actually feels as though she looks pretty good. “I could live without the hair though,” she thought as she looked at her reflection. From the mirror, she saw the arrival of a maid, indicating to her that it was time to go meet another one of her father’s approval of men to marry. “Let’s get the show on the road,” she thought and followed the maid to her doom. This wasn’t the first time that her father made her do marriage blind dates.

In the living room, Mr. and Mrs. Jung sat together at the head sofa while Jang Mi sat on the sofa across from Yoon Seok Young and his grandson Yoon Ji Hoo. It was made obvious to the silent Ji Hoo that he is in for it now. Another thing that was obvious was Jung Jang Mi is evidently interested in him.

‘Ji Hoo-ah, mianhe. I have a favor to ask you’the phrase played over and over in his head. “No wonder why harabeoji told me he’s sorry,” he thought as he felt a slight irritation at the girl across from him. Of course, he was a member of F4; therefore, he is used to these types of girls, but today was just too tired of a day for him to feel any patience. “Ten hours of surgery does a man wonder” is the usual saying. It can turn the little and weakest lamb into a lion.

“Ji Hoo-shi, how is your work at St. John’s Hospital?” Mrs. Jung asked politely. She was obviously displeased at why her husband would allow the illegitimate daughter to marry such a fine man.

He smiled politely in return. “It is a pleasing place to work at, thank you for asking Madam Jung.”

“Master and Madam Jung, Second Young Missy, Master Yoon, and Young Master Yoon, First Young Missy has arrived,” the young maid said out of breath. She was no maid from the Gu family wearing the French maid uniform, but she sure had the awful job of announcing. You can just hear it in your head, damn, I hate this job. Why the hell do I have to address everyone in that damn room?!

Master Jung smiled even though he knows that his daughter absolutely loathed him. He couldn’t blame her though. Madam Jung and the Second Young Missy didn’t seem to be too pleased to see the First Young Missy, and Grandfather Yoon looks especially happy to see the pretty So Min. Ji Hoo looked the same. “She looks like the typical eldest daughter of the family. How boring? I thought grandfather liked someone more like Jan Di-ah,” he thought and judged So Min already based on his observations.

“So Min-ah, this is Master Yoon and his grandson Yoon Ji Hoo,” Madam Jung said full of fake fondness. “Ji Hoo-shi, this is my step daughter and the First Young Missy of the Jung family, Jung So Min,” she said bitterly but hid it well.

So Min saw through that naturally and replied back with just as much prickle but also hid it well, “Thank you, omeoni,” she said and looked back at the older lady with her death glare and turned back to see Grandfather Yoon smiling at her. She couldn’t even resist loving the old man already. Then her eyes diverted to the young man next to him.

“Hello, I am Yoon Ji Hoo. Nice to meet you, Miss So Min,” he said politely with the neutral tone in his voice.

“Ji Hoo? YOON Ji Hoo?! Isn’t he apart of F4?”She looked at him with a strange expression. “Nice to meet you too, Mr. Ji Hoo,” she answered back and took a seat next to Jang Mi.

“Remember, oppa is mine. Do what you have to do and get out of here,” Jang Mi whispered to So Min while pretending to whisper something sweet and giggly to a beloved sister.

So Min played along well. “I know what to do. You don’t have to tell me.”

“Unni, why don’t you take Ji Hoo oppa out to the garden and get to know each other better,” Jang Mi suggested sweetly. This was just to give So Min the chance to do what she has to do and leave.

“Alright!” So Min said faking all the happiness. “Ji Hoo-shi, would you like to do that?” she asked nicely and looked at Ji Hoo.

“She is like the rest,”Ji Hoo thought but played his part well. “Of course I would love to,” he said and stood up waiting for So Min to lead the way.

Before the left, they gave the elders a bow and then So Min lead Ji Hoo out to the garden. They both can hear how happy Master Jung and Grandfather Yoon were when they thought they were out of ear shot. She couldn’t help but shake her head. He watched her. They got to the garden.

Of course, it was absolutely breath taking, but Ji Hoo has seen better, after all, his family was richer than this and his friends were head of Shinwha Group Gu Jun Pyo, Korea’s prodigy So Yi Jeong, and Korea’s underground ruler Song Woo Bin. “You’re garden is very beautiful,” he lied.

She knew it. “Prince Charming all the way huh?” she thought but then stopped midway causing him to be surprised. “I don’t like you; you don’t like me. Who’s going to play the bad guy this time?” she asked straightforwardly.

“Excuse me?” he asked a bit taken back. She was not what he thought at all. He ought to learn not to judge a book by its cover.

“Who’s going to be the bad guy? Do you want me to say I didn’t like you, or do you want to do it yourself?”

This was the first time today someone made him truly want to laugh but instead he chuckled at her remark.

She frowned. “Why are you laughing? I was being serious!”

He continues to chuckle but this time even louder.

“Yah! I asked you a question!”

He let out his musical laugh and threw his head back. “This girl is absolutely hilarious,” he thought to himself.

She was getting irritated now. “I thought Jan Di-ah and Ga Eul-ah called him the prince charming of the group, even unni said so! What the hell is wrong with him?! This is no prince charming! He’s a retard!” she thought as she watched him laugh his heart out. “HEY! Can you stop laughing for just a minute?!”

He couldn’t help it. He had to laugh at this poor girl who was supposed to be the eldest daughter of a chaebol family. He expected her to like all those other, but she was nothing of that sort.

Her eyes fumed with anger. “This is taking too long! I have to go job hunting!” she thought and sent him dagger glares. “You’re not going to stop laughing are you?!”

He didn’t.

“Fine then, don’t blame me,” she said out loud. Then she stepped a couple of steps back, cracked her knuckles and neck, made small jumps settling her feet, and suddenly with a BAM she performed a beautiful back kick, and her feet landed on his face.