Chapter 28

Crush

Thank you for subscribing: Trollabear, meewa321, sicataeny, 13luvsfriday, Kimchuckles, deathx, mei026, kimiyoung, ja9_1991, & soshimelons!

____

{28}

 

“You know Jessica Jung? How?” Jiyong smirked and I shrugged. When they saw I wasn’t freaking out, my percussionists asked about my roommates. It’s not that I felt like I could share a bed with her, but it was better than three total strangers right? A simple, ”I know Jessica” was something that shocked them all. How could I say that I knew Jessica because she had dated my now deceased cousin and I’m comforting her with the loss? I needed something weaker. She was popular, I had to think about the people who still minded their social status.

“She’s Tiffany’s friend,” I replied safely and they nodded.

“Guess being friends with Tiffany has its perks,” Wooyoung rolled his eyes and I frowned at him. My frustration immediately kicked up a notch. Sure, not a lot of people got Tiffany, she had a personality that was harsh and unlikeable if you weren’t used to it, but I didn’t like how people just saw the cover of a book and judged her for it. I hated that. I wanted to hit Wooyoung all of a sudden.

“Do you want me to hit you with Jonghyun’s quarter sack?” I threatened and he held up his hands, remembering the painful day for the latter.

“So wait, who are the other two?” Seunghyun raised an eyebrow, saving Wooyoung, and I shrugged. Since I didn’t recognize the names, they didn’t stick in my head.

“Can’t remember the names, I think they’re upperclassmen though. Probably seniors,” I guessed with a scratch on the back of my head. “If it all comes down to the worst case scenario I’ll sleep on the floor.”

“Dude, I’d sleep in the bed with Jung,” Jonghyun scoffed and I grabbed the closest thing in reach, which happened to be a crash cymbal, and nearly threw it into his face. “Woah! WOAH! Hold up, Taeyeon!” he shouted, making me stop mid-throw. I froze and dropped my arm. That kind of protectiveness only came with Tiffany…

Apparently, in Band, our teacher had snuck in the roommates’ list and the other music programs weren’t allowed to see so that meant Jessica didn’t know we were in the same room for the 4-day trip. For some reason, a reason that made my insides boil with anticipation, I wanted to tell Tiffany I was going to be rooming with the blonde girl. She wanted to piss me off and I know she gets fiery when I mention Jessica so, at the moment, this was the perfect counterattack! I was still upset with the shorts. At the beginning of lunch I laid outside in the sun, studying for my Spanish exam, and waiting for Tiffany to show up so I could tell her the news. I didn’t really know what to expect. She might not even care, or she could totally freak out. But considering I don’t share a bed with anyone besides Tiffany I felt obligated to say something, especially since I could possibly be sharing a bed with one of her closer friends. But I’d feel satisfied if she got upset. “Hey TaeTae,” I looked up and lifted my head as Tiffany sat herself down. She didn’t look into my eyes when she sat; she just looked the other direction. I said nothing when I rested my head on her bare thighs, I only sighed. After a few moments of awkward silence, I decided I didn’t want to get any more uncomfortable since I was already having a rather pleasant day today.

“Can you at least wrap my jacket around your waist?” I asked softly and her fingers gently combed through my hair. She didn’t speak for a second and for a minute I wondered how we could still touch each other but never say anything.

“You really don’t like it huh?” she mumbled and I shook my head.

“No, I don’t. Why can’t you just cover yourself? I don’t like it when people stare at you like that.” The last part was a spur of the moment type thing, I didn’t mean to say it but it came out so naturally. I sat up and looked at her in the eyes.

“You didn’t seem to mind the shorts this morning,” she fired back and my jaw opened to retort something, but I couldn’t say anything. Oh dear lord she saw me staring at her legs. I felt the blood rush to my cheeks and Tiffany grinned mischievously, knowing I was tongue tied. How do I talk myself out of this?! The ambiance changed in a snap.

“Th-that’s a different story…” I stuttered and mentally slapped myself. This is not coming out right.

“So it’s okay for you to stare at my legs, but not anyone else?” she smirked, getting closer to my beet red face as I closed my eyes and tried to remember how to structure a proper sentence. ing , what do I do now?!

“I’m rooming with Jessica on the California trip.” I didn’t want to say that! What the heck is wrong with you?!

“You’re doing what?” I opened my eyes and came face to face with Tiffany, who no longer seemed playful. Instead, she looked downright murderous.

“Our director showed us the roommate’s list and I saw that one of mine was Jessica,” I mumbled timidly, underestimating that glare Tiffany gave me. It was just, scary to be stared at with those piercing eyes. They looked right through me and for some reason I became afraid.

“So what? You’re just gonna sleep on the same bed with her? Is that what you’re saying?!” she stood up, hands on her hips, and I became even more flustered than before. I’ve never plain stuttered so much in my life before. I felt my eyes widen and her emotions skyrocket. Where did she get that idea from?!

“Wh-what are you talking about? I’ve only ever slept in the same bed with you!” I insisted, craning my head up to look at her as she continued frowning at me.

“Then who are your other roommates? Are you gonna share a bed with one of them?! Holy you better not!” she warned, almost panicking at the thought, and pointed sternly at me. I could only leave my mouth open and pretend like what was happening made sense to me. Say something before you lose yourself.

“I-I don’t even remember the other names, a-and probably not. I don’t think I’ll sleep next to them, you know I only feel comfortable next to you.” How did this turn out with me comforting her?

“Yah, so why are you telling me about Jessica?” she raised an eyebrow and I felt the nervous heat under my collar, but I wasn’t sure why.

“I just felt like informing you, b-because she’s our friend, and I didn’t want you to worry about me being totally uncomfortable.” Oh damn, I lied right to her face. But I couldn’t tell her I wanted to upset her; she didn’t like the news one bit. I was even more afraid of how she’d react if I said I did all of this on purpose. Her shoulders dropped a little bit as her rage slowly extinguished. Her breathing calmed down as well. I rested my palms on her shoulders and she stared at the ground. “Why are you so mad about me sharing a bed with someone else anyway?” I asked her, feeling the sudden craving to know the answer, when she looked up at me cutely. Tiffany nudged my shoulder slightly.

“You know why…” she muttered, with an adorable little voice and it tickled my heart but left me with no definite answer. What does that mean?! My brain was spinning with her personality changes again, but to be safe, I left the topic alone. I felt bad for even blurting out the fact. “Just don’t.”

“I won’t, I promise,” I smiled a little at her cuteness and watched her take my jacket off of my back before she wrapped it around her own waist. My heart swelled in relief.

“Happy?” I grinned even more.

“Very.”             

It was amusing to see Tiffany and Jessica talking during passing periods when my best friend was obviously not happy about the room arrangements. I said that Jessica didn’t know I was supposed to be with her but for some reason Tiffany wanted to be the one to tell her. I didn’t mind, but I was a tad worried about how she would deliver the news. I was still working out some project details with Xiumin since I would be gone for four days when Tiffany appeared out of nowhere and grabbed my hand in hers. “Hey Tiffany,” Xiumin smirked at me and I rolled my eyes. He was a bit of a ert, especially when it came to Tiffany and I. He might know something but he’s never talked to me about it.

“Did you talk to Jessica?” I asked and she nodded once, not elaborating on their conversation. “So, will you be okay with doing some work alone over the weekend?”

“Oh yeah, I’ll be fine. You did all of the research anyway, I’ll just choreograph a scene and we’ll take a day to work on it,” he shrugged and we slung our backpacks on. “Good luck in California.”

“Thanks, I’ll see you Monday,” I smiled and we bumped fists before he bolted out of the room.

“What are you guys even doing?” Tiffany asked me and I shrugged.

“Cultural project, we’re assigned Japan and we decided to do a nun-chuck presentation,” I grinned. It was originally my idea to do nun-chucks and at first the latter thought it would be considered too dangerous to do for a project but we talked with our school administrators who agreed to let us bring the weapons as long as they’re only used and out during 6th period.

“Nun-chucks are from Japan?” she asked and I nodded, holding her hand and leading us out of the English room.

“Japanese nobles used them but they weren’t really popular back then because it wasn’t very effective against other weapons,” I said and she stared at me.

“Why do you have to be such a smart person?” she wondered and I smiled at her.

“I’m not smart, I just pay attention,” I insisted and she shrugged. I didn’t like thinking that intelligence was a trait, no one was born smart nor stupid, it just comes down to those who apply themselves and those who don’t. “Will you be okay when I leave on Thursday?” I slung my arm around her and she sighed deeply, holding my hand from off of her shoulder.

“No, I’ll miss you,” she pouted and I smirked.

“I’ll find a way to talk to you, I can take Jessica’s phone or something and call you,” I suggested and she smiled a little.

“Every night?” she poked me in the side and I nodded.

“If you want to talk every night,” I agreed and she smiled brightly.

“You guys should do well and have fun though. I don’t want you to worry all of the time about me,” she added and I shrugged.

“I’ll be okay. I want to talk to you,” I assured and pecked her head once more. Tiffany looked up at me and smiled, kissing my chin, causing my heart to pound and my smile to widen. I never knew how much kissing could affect a person, simple touches of the lips, could form feelings and break hearts. I could only kiss Tiffany; it only felt right with her.

“I’m sorry I ignored you when you wanted me to change,” she apologized.

“It’s fine, I’m sorry I got mad at you when you were talking about Andrew Garfield and for making you upset when I brought up Jessica,” I mumbled and she kissed my hand. I saw she was into a lot of physical contact today. I wonder why?

“I was just surprised, and kind of angry. I don’t want you to hang out with Jessica more than me,” she confessed and I looked at her strangely.

“You don’t have to worry about Jessica, I have you!” I urged and she wrapped her arms around my waist, leaning her face close to my body. I felt the surge of energy and love coursing through my veins as I held her flush against me. Why are you so insecure? I’m the one that needs to be worried about losing you!

“I just feel like Jessica seems to have something I don’t,” she said, muffling it in my shirt. I looked around. When did we get outside?

“And what is that?” I questioned, but I never got an answer. You’ll always have my heart, Fany-ah.