Lesson

Twisted Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Dara wished she was back in Vietnam, wearing just her flip flops, t-shirt and sweat pants. Of course she would also have a basket of fruits and vegetables on top of her head and another basket filled with pastries in one of her hands. Her mom’s friends would and playfully complained that she was taking away their customers. They would say it was because she was young and pretty thus attracting customers. She would tell them it was because she was a better cook and a master salesperson. The older women would banter back and forth with her throughout the day…it was a world Dara belong in…it was a world she missed with all her being.

 

Dara groaned and tried to keep her eyes open. Mrs. Lee, her etiquette teacher had a long, thin stick in her hands. She was pointing at the board and talking nonstop. Dara didn’t understand a word she said…it was just blah…blah…blah. She sighed and stared outside, it was such a beautiful day. She could not believe her parents allowed her grandmother to lock her inside the etiquette room with the reserved, stiff face Mrs. Lee. The woman speaks in monotone voice, and her face was flat and emotionless. Dara frowned and peered at the woman, suddenly curious. Is she even human? Damn, if she knew coming to Seoul meant she had to learn the proper way to eat, speak, dressed, and behaved accordingly…she would have stay in Vietnam. Dara’s high and mighty grandmother was abhorred at her lack of manners…and was horrified of the way Dara speaks. Remembering the first time she met her grandmother, Dara snorted and started chuckling.

 


~~~Flashback~~

 


“Mother, this is your granddaughter Park Sandara.” Jihyun said excitedly, stepping back so that Park Soo Wan and Park Doo Joo could see their granddaughter in full view. Dara had on a straw hat, a plain white t-shirt, a cut-off faded jean pants and what used to be pink flip flop shoes on her feet. Soo Wan gasped horrified. Doo Joo cleared his throat and shook his granddaughter’s hand.

“Dara, I’ve heard so much about you from your mother. I’m so glad to finally meet you.”

“Same here.” They gave each other measuring looks, and both grinned realizing they would get along nicely.

Soo Wan walked up to Dara and circled around her. She eyed the girl from head to toes.

“Tsk, tsk. You look like a burnt farmer. Is this the best attire you have? Even homeless people dressed better than you.”

“Mother! How dare you say that to my daughter?” Jihyun stepped in front of Dara as if to protect her.

“I’m only being honest. So this is how you’ve raised your daughter? Is she educated? English? French? What high school did she attend? Is she going to college? If the answer is no, then we have to r

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter