Happy Tears

That's So Random!

Description:
The heart knows what the heart loves.

Foreword:
“You make me happy, too.”


 

I read somewhere that if you woke up in the middle of the night without any reason, there’s an 80 percent chance that someone is staring at you. I thought it was the most ridiculous thing ever. But tonight, as I was sleeping peacefully in my bed, that ridiculous, so-called fact mocked me when my eyes snapped open to a pair of eyes staring straight at me. They are not scary as you might have imagined; the gaze was soft and tender. But I’m not gonna lie, waking up like that, it felt like my heart took a huge leap and tugged my breath with it.

“GOD!” I exclaimed, catching my breath. I rolled to lie on my back and rubbed my face with my sweaty palms. I can hear a soft chuckle from the person next to me.

“Did you know, that if you woke up in the middle of the ni-” He knows I hate it but he tried to annoy me with that ridiculous thing again.

“Yeah, yeah I’ve heard of that.” I let out a heavy breath and returned to lie on my side, facing him. I took in how perfect he looks; the way he rests his head on the back of his hand against the fluffy pillow, the smile, the eyes. Wait. The eyes. My heartbeat was just starting to even out from being startled earlier gets quicken at the sight. But the feel is different; I was frightened, but now I’m worried.

“Hey are you okay? Is something wrong?” I asked in a whisper, reaching out a hand and cupped his face. A tear rolled down his cheek and I caught it with my thumb. All he did was smile.

“Why would you think that something is wrong?” He asked, placing his own hand over mine on his cheek. Still smiling.

“Well...” I took his hand and laced our fingers together, “one, you have tears in your eyes.” I traced his palm and planted a soft kiss. He hummed quietly; the smile never fades from his face.

“And two,” I glanced at the clock, “you’re still wide awake at this hour. Is there something you wanna talk about?” I laced our fingers back together. He chuckled.

“There really is nothing. I’m just..” he paused, playing with my fingers, “..happy. I’m happy.”

And my heart got into a race yet again. This man has a habit of saying simple things like that, that makes my heart bloom and flutter. He didn’t notice it most of the times and I didn’t point it out to him. Because, after all these years, I love knowing that my heart still reacts the same way at all the small things he did.

And I’m glad that I’ve known him for almost my entire life that I could read him like an open book just by looking into his eyes. Right now, although they are teary, they don’t reflect pain or hurt. So I know he wasn’t making up for anything when he said he was happy. He really is happy.

“Are you sure?” But I asked anyway.

“Yeah.” He nodded. “Happy tears.” He smiles.

“Happy tears.” I reflected the smile.

“I don’t know why..” he suddenly began, in a hush voice that almost lulled me back into sleep, “..I felt overwhelmed when I came back just now and saw you curled up in bed like this, sleeping peacefully. I was exhausted from everything today. I was tired, I was grumpy, I was mad at everyone at work, everything felt wrong and out of place, and I felt like throwing things. But as soon as I saw you..” He trailed off. Another tear escaped from the corner of his eye as he looked up into mine.

I scooted closer and pulled him into my arms. “You make me happy, too.”

He nuzzled closer and I heard a sniffle as he did so. But I can feel his smile when he whispered close to my ear, “I’m glad.”

 

==========

I intentionally left out their names in this chapter to let you pick which one is who. I do have my own who-is-who in my head when I write this. But yeah, I wanna know yours. So, the narrator who woke up in the middle of the night, is he Seunghyun or is he Jiyong? And why do you pick him?