Prologue

My Best friend, Byun Baekhyun
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Prologue


 

Seo Lara, an 11th grader who never thought she would be in love. Especially with her… best friend. Not like all girls, she puts her studies first but she couldn’t help but notice that she has feelings for her friend. Feelings that is so indescribable. Byun Baekhyun has always been a great friend to Lara. He makes her happy, helps her a lot with problems and Lara does the same to him, especially when she comforted him when he was hurt. Baekhyun may be a happy go lucky guy but he also experiences pain because of his past relationships.

Lara have always thought that Baekhyun is an amazing guy. The first time Lara and Baekhyun met was at 7th Grade. Baek would always tease Lara. Back in the 7th grade, Lara had a leg injury which made her struggle standing up and walking. Baekhyun would tease Lara and call her “SeoRa”. [Seora is ‘stand’ in Korean] A mixture of her last name and the second syllable of her name. But as the months past, they became close until now. Before 11th grade, Lara didn’t think of ever having a crush on her best friend because that would ruin their friendship.

And the time that 11th grade was about to end (Around May) Lara’s other friend, Ahn Hyejung admitted to her that she has a crush on Baekhyun. It didn’t surprise her because Baekhyun is such a heartthrob in the school and he had several relationships like with Kim In-na (Lara’s friend), Kim Jinmi, Bae Miyoung and Son Sojin.

It was the last day of school, during recess time, Hyejung asked me to meet her in the 2nd floor halls when the studies are all in the cafeteria. I did what I was told and found a feminine figure by the lockers who was walking back and forth and back and forth. She saw me, she was expecting me anyway so no shocked expressions and what not happened. Hyejung takes a few steps towards me.

“Should I really do it?” she shakes her hands in nervousness. She’s going to do it. She’s going to confess to Baekhyun that she likes him. And I couldn’t idolize her more than anything, she’s liked him for 2 or 3 weeks now and it’s about time she tells him.

“Of course,” I gave her a reassuring smile. “Would you rather leave the school with regrets or leave, knowing that he knows how you feel?”

She covers her faces with both of her palms, obviously nervous. “How should I tell him, Lara?” and she removes her hands right away as she grabs something from her pocket. “All I have is this long letter.” Her face turns crimson.

It’s perfect. I thought of an idea. “It’s pretty simple, just say a few words to him and let him read it. While he reads it, you tell your story of how you liked him.” I acted as if I’m a prodigy about this love thing and how it works. No, I’m not even.

She takes a deep breath, and her hands curl into two fists. “Okay, I’m ready.”

“That’s the spirit.” I pat her left shoulder. “I’ll go call Baek.” And with the last word, I dash to the cafeteria wherein I found Baekhyun, about to open the door to the cafeteria.

“Baekhyuuun!” I call out and ran towards him. He looks to the back, hearing my voice. He looks very cool with his hands on his pockets and his beautiful, small eyes—very attractive. “Yo!” he says when he sees me.

“Someone wants to talk to you,” I looked down and played with my fingers like a shy girl. “She wanted it like a heart to heart convo.”

His brows narrow and says, “Uhh, okay?” he sounds unsure and not interested in going but he insisted anyway because he trusts me.

I smile at him and grab his arm, clinging my finger on his elbow. “Follow me.”

Once we arrive at the halls, only 3 people were left. Me with Baekhyun on my right and Hyejung in front of us. He was surprised to see his not-so-close-but-close-enough-to-sit-at-the-cafeteria friend. “Oh, Hyejung. You wanted to talk?”

Sheepishly, I smile at the sight of two of them. “I’ll just leave you two for awhile, okay?” I said, leaving—hiding in one of the classrooms so I can eavesdrop.

Hyejung starts, “Oh, Oppa…” she exhales. “I – you see, I’ve had a crush on you since… I don’t know, last month?” she sounds nervous and anyway, hands him the letter. It was in a stationary envelope that had a bear as a cover. It was the girliest thing I can see but the simplest way to confess.

Baekhyun’s jaw drops in confusion and maybe in shock. “Read it.” She broke the silence and the tension.

“You’re not joking, are you?” he wonders as he opens the letter, not meeting eyes with Hyejung.

“Ani, I’m really honest. You see, I’m from your homeroom class and I’ve talked to you for a few times and I think you’re really nice.” She blushes at her own words, which was very predictable to happen. That’s how girls are when they’re with the one they like.  Well yeah, he really is nice.

“… And very, very funny.” She giggles and watches Baekhyun read the letter she wholeheartedly wrote. She probably wrote a draft first because that’s how I would do it. So true, I thought when she said that.

“And also, stunningly good looking.” Her words got me tilting my head and staring at Baekhyun. My heart starts to pound. There’s something about his eyes when he smiles, the way it lifts up and it seems like he’s eyeless. It lifts up with his cheeks in a very charming way. His smile—perfect—his hair – gorgeous.

He smiles after she voices out, “I get that a lot” he says with much conceitedness. Well, he… is… dazzling… when you come and take a look closer and longer.

“Before I leave this school, I want you to know that I like you very, very, very much.” And before you know it, her face turns out to be a giant tomato after all. And of course, I’m kidding.

“Aw. That’s sweet of you,” he says. His hand reaches the top of her head and pats it twice. “It’s sad how you said it just now. We could have been closer if you tell me—well not on the last day.” He gives out a warm chuckle.

“Mianhae.” She frowns with regret filling her eyes. But Baekhyun pinches her cheeks lightly for her comfort. “It’s okay, really. Thanks for the letter and the effort.” He straddles away with a puzzled look on his face and sighs.

Hyejung’s mouth was open and she was touching her cheek, she couldn’t believe that Baekhyun actually did that. I run to her as soon as Baekhyun was out of sight. “Omo! You’re turning pink” I giggle in between my words. She smiles and looks

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter