o23

My girl, Gumiho.

Chapter 23: First Step

"Should I tell Shinhye?" Jieun muttered ti herself, looking worried, pacing up and down outside Shinhye's room. Eunhyuk had been guarding the door since morning to disallow Jieun from going in to tell. Now, Eunhyuk finally went off to receive order about his night shift, Jieun could get near to Shinhye's room. SHe could hear curses from Shinhye who was obviously angry that Eumhuk locked her up for the past few days. Jieun saw Eunhyuk taking the letter from Yonghwa. Moonlight Pavillion. The place where the night falls and when they would fight.

Jieun was utterly worried. 

Worried for Yonghwa. Ever since she knew Yonghwa had a crush as stated by Shinhye on her, she had taken a closer look to Yonghwa and someitmes illegally visiting him when she went out to the market, pretending to tell him about how Shinhye was going.  She deliberately did not say about Shinhye been grounded as she felt that Yonghwa did not have to know.

And when Eunhyuk told her to shut up, she could not do anything. She was a lowly servant. She sighed inwardly, knowing how vulnerable she was. Even if she watched the fight, what could she do? Help Yonghwa to clean the wounds? Well, she knew exactly how highly skilled Eunhyuk was.Yonghwa? She was not too sure.

But if Shinhye was there, she could stop the fight. She was sure she could. Because she was born higher than Eunhyuk. What a joke it was to Jieun. 

She bit her lips. should she?

Then she decided to leave it to the coin. She deliberately put the coin from the heads. Heads meant Shinhye would not go. She wanted Shinhye to not go because she was afraid. She knew exactly how many spins she could make and was sure that it would turn back to the heads. But she just need a comfort to tell her that it was all destined , not her fault. She breathed in.

Tossing the coin up, she looked up to see.

Her eyes widen. It was the first time her coin fliipped more than twice with her skills and landed on the tails. She gasped. Without hestitation, she knocked the door. neglecting a fishy man who was sitting on a short wall, observing.


"My lord!" the old man vent down to greet the young-looking boy who looked around the mansion, silently couting the antiques on the table.

"Crown Prince Lee, it is an honour.. to.."

"Enough." Hyun woo looked at old Mr Park. Mr Park stopped and could see that the crown prince did not want to come. Maybe the Emperor forced him to. But Old Mr. Park was sure Hyun Woo would not regret. Because the Emperor has asked Hyun woo to choose from the ladies for the next queen. WIthout any doubt, Hyun Woo arrived at the favourtie minister's house to satisfy his father.

Eunhyuk greeted the prince politely and the last thing he needed was Shinhye's appearance. He was happy to obliged when he was asktd to bring Shinhye out. Shinhye was in the room with Jieun. Eunhyuk smiled getly, trying not to make the shivering fear he had about the possibility that Jieun could have told her off.

"Your dad is calling you." He urged Shinhye. Shinhye  nodded, heading out.

Then Jieun who was left alone with Eunhyuk in the room, looked up,"Can I trust you?"

"Yes." Eunhyuk nodded, knowing well that Jieun have not leaked the information out.

"Answer me. Why can't Yonghwa see her? Why are you against it?" She asked. Eunhyuk paused. He stared at Jieun. WIth a slight tremble , he said," He is not fit to be. And I can't let the bud grow."

"Bud?" Jieun looked confused. Biting his bottom lips, he muttered," Yes, Shinhye will be the future queen. And I can't afford to let Yonghwa to get into the way."

JIeun nodded. 

As Jieun headed out, Eunhyuk spied her back, spated," And let you be the queen is out of question."