Chapter 5

I Knew

Chapter 5

Jessica lazily slumped into her seat, tempted to just rest her head on the desk and sleep, but she knew better than to do that. The class was going by slowly, it always does when they were in History class. 'They' as in Jessica, Taeyeon, and Yuri. The old man at the front of the room just kept going and going and going about something that happened in the past.

Yuri groaned at the packet the old man handed out, it was about something about Depression. Wasn't that a mental illness or something? Isn't this History? Not Health? Yuri furrowed her eyebrows as she skimmed through the packet. She huffed and set the packet down with a thud, "Why do we have to learn what happens in the past anyways? I mean, it already happened, why learn it again?" she complained.

Taeyeon, who was sitting beside her friend, chuckled. "Yuri-ah, this is important stuff." Yuri scoffed, "Important?" Taeyeon nodded, "We learn from our mistakes and move on to a better life." Yuri raised an eyebrow, "Wow, Taeng, I didn't know you were this into History." Taeyeon shrugged, "I'm not into it, it's just that you don't listen at all in this class."

Yuri sighed and kept quiet as the old man began to continue his long speech. Out of boredom, Yuri began to doodle in a little piece of paper, drawing what ever came to her mind. She began to draw bubble letters of some sort, but was surprised at what she had actually written.

The words, "The Bet" was written in bubble letters on the paper in front of Yuri. Yuri widened her eyes, not knowing how those words appeared in front of her, her hands just seemed to do whatever they wanted. Yuri sighed and rubbed her temple, the 'bet' was really getting into her head

Jessica saw Yuri looked rather frustrated, and she took a peek at the small slip of paper in front of the tan girl. She noticed the little doodle, and she smirked, remembering about the bet Yuri had made with Yoona. Jessica shook her head, seeing that Yuri was really concerned. Concerned? Why would she be? Oh right, because if she doesn't make Jessica fall in love with her in less than a year, she would be Yoona's servant. Yea, that's why she is concerned.

"-- Partner project!" was all Yuri had gotten out of the teachers mouth. Yuri immediately turned her gaze to the old man, curious about the project. Some students cheered, while some groaned. The old man chuckled, "Don't get too excited, I've already chosen your partners." Groans of disappointment filled the room, and Yuri sighed. Hopefully, she wouldn't get stuck with a nobody, maybe she could get stuck with Gyuri or Hara. Yuri hasn't had any fun in the past couple days, especially with the bet on her mind.

The teacher began listing off partners, "Hara and Seungyeon" Hara huffed and sat beside a small girl who had a cute baby face. Hara didn't seem too happy with her partner, as the little girl beside her looked like she couldn't care less.

"Taeyeon and Tiffany." Taeyeon furrowed her eyebrows, who was this 'Tiffany' girl? She looked around and also saw another girl with red hair looking around. Taking a guess, Taeyeon walked over to the red head and sat beside her, "I'm guessing you're Tiffany?" she asked. For the first time, Taeyeon saw the red head's face, and was she surprised. Tiffany was beautiful! Taeyeon regained her cool as Tiffany smiled and began to talk, "Yea, and you're Taeyeon?" Taeyeon raised an eyebrow, did Tiffany not know who she was? But, not wanting to be rude or cocky, she nodded, "Yea, I am."

The teacher continued to list the partners until he reached Yuri's name. Yuri looked around at her potential partners, only a few people were left, including the familiar blonde girl who was sat in a wheel chair. Yuri mentally prayed that she would be Jessica's partner. "Yuri and.. Amber." Yuri mentally groaned as she looked around for Amber.

A student raised her hand, "Amber went back to the states because of her ankle, remember?" she explained to the teacher. "Ah, yes, I rememeber now. Okay, perfect, because we were an odd number, but now that Amber is off, Yuri can be partners with..." 

The old man looked around for a potential partner for Yuri, then he rested his gaze on the blonde girl who was paying attention to every word he was saying. He smiled, "Jessica." Jessica just nodded meekly, as the girls, and boys, around her called out in disappointment, wanting to be Yuri's partner. 

Yuri took the chance as a way to win in the bet, maybe this was meant to happen! It was like fate was on Yuri's side, wanting her to win the bet.  Yuri slide a chair beside Jessica's desk as the teacher finished off reading the partners.

The old man reached the front of the room and gathered the classes attention by clapping loudly. "Alright, alright, I know some of you are disappointed with your partners, but you need to get used to it, because you partner is a very important role in your project." Everyone began to murmur in confusion, "Important role?" Jessica whispered lowly, but was heard by Yuri.

"Alright!" The teacher yelled out in his raspy voice, gaining the attention again. "Calm down, kids. Yes, you heard correctly, important role. Now, let me explain." he stopped there, waiting for some students who were talking amongst themselves. They began to get silent as they realized the teacher was waiting for them to be quiet.

He cleared his throat, "Thank you." The students looked down, embarrassed. "Alright, since this project is History, why don't try to get to know your partner's 'History'. Now, I've put you with your partners very carefully. I made sure that your partner is a stranger to you, so it will make you closer to them." Yuri sighed, 'Jessica has to learn my history? What history? My life isn't that bad, is it?' Jessica huffed her cheeks, 'Great, I have to share my life with this girl? No way, not going to happen.'

Students began to call out in disagreement, not liking the project. The teacher sighed, "Stop!" he yelled. The students silenced themselves, scared at the sudden outburst. The teacher huffed a breath, "If you don't want to do the project, you can get an F for the year. Want it?" he threatened. No one spoke. He smiled, "Good, now, your partner will tell you about their 'History' and you will tell them your own. I expect an essay about the person's life by the end of the year."

Students immediately raised their hands in anger, not wanting their personal lives to be given out. The teacher calmed them, "I wasn't done talking." he stated. The students lowered their hands and waited for the man to talk. "You don't have to tell your partner every single detail of your life, but do tell them big parts of your life. If you are uncomfortable with them writing an essay about your life, ask them to leave out certain parts of their life if you are that uneasy." 

The students seemed to calm down, but Hara still had her arms cross and a stern look on her face. Seungyeon looked at her worryly, was Hara that mad because Seungyeon was her partner? Of course not, in fact, Hara didn't care much about Seungyeon being her partner, she actually thought the smaller girl was cute. It was the fact that she couldn't be partners with Taeyeon, and that Taeyeon was stuck with her.

Yuri turned her head to Jessica, "I guess I'm learning your 'history'" she stated, using air quotes. Jessica rolled her eyes, "I guess you are, but you better not force me to tell you something I don't want to tell." she threatened. Yuri raised her hands in mock surrender, "I won't, don't worry." "You better not." Jessica mumbled. 

Yuri raised an eyebrow, "And if I do?" Jessica smirked, "You don't want to know." Just by the little smirk, it gave Yuri shivers down her back, perhaps it was alittle cold in the room. 

The bell rang loudly, indicating class was over. It's funny, because it was actually last period. "We can start on the project now, if you aren't busy?" Yuri asked, looking at Jessica for an answer. Jessica shrugged, "I guess we can. Let's go over my house."

Yuri nodded and helped Jessica with the wheel chair, pushing her by the handles. Whenever Yuri wasn't helping Jessica with her wheel chair, Yoona was. Yoona began to talk and chat with Jessica, and she was the first friend Jessica actually made since the year started. Jessica surprised herself by how comfortable she was around Yoona, talking to her like she had known her forever, but she shrugged the feeling off.

Yuri began to push Jessica's wheel chair towards the blonde girl's house, in silence, hearing the birds chirp. Jessica suddenly thought of the bet and what would happen. 'Maybe I can make Yuri fall in love with me during this project, then I can break her heart.'

At almost the exact same time, Yuri thought, 'I can take this as a chance to make Jessica fall in love with me'

Meanwhile, Yoona huffed and spread herself over Seohyun's bed, sprawling her leg over Seohyun's lap. "Yah! Yoona, legs off me!" Seohyun yelled, slapping Yoona's leg slightly. Yoona pouted, "I'm so tired." Seohyun rolled her eyes, "That's what you get for running around the house looking for the TV Remote when you could just press the buttons on the TV." "But, that's so much work." Yoona complained. Seohyun raised an eyebrow, "And running around the house isn't?" 

Realizing Seohyun had made a point, Yoona kept quiet. Seohyun smiled, "Exactly." Yoona pouted and began to wander off in her own thoughts, when she thought of the bet. She sighed loudly, making Seohyun look at her oddly.

"The bet." she said simply. Seohyun frowned and nodded, "I don't get why you made the bet." Yoona frowned, "To make Yuri realize her feelings for Jessica." "Then why did you include me?" Seohyun asked. Yoona was silent before she answered, "Because Yuri wouldn't think it would be fair if I didn't participate in the bet." Seohyun nodded in understanding, it was reasonable.

"What rules did you make?" Seohyun asked. Yoona furrowed her eyebrows, "Rules?" Seohyun nodded, "Bets have rules, don't they?" Yoona shrugged, "No rules." Seohyun raised an eyebrow, "No rules?" 

Yoona nodded, "If there are no rules, then Yuri would have more freedom. All the bet needs is for Jessica to say I love you to Yuri before a year, I never said she had to leave Jessica after the bet. I also never said that she couldn't fall in love with Jessica also. Never said that Yuri couldn't say 'I love you' first. See? If there are no rules, Yuri will have more freedom. Plus, she is really determined. I just pray that she falls in love with Jessica along the way"

Seohyun frowned, "And if she doesn't?" 

"I don't know."