Chapter 13

I Knew

Since it's the 13th chapter, I've decided to make the chapter about Yuri's first beating. Now, it might be allitle.. Erm... Disturbing. But, just get your tissues ready, in case.

Chaper 13

Yuri's First Beating

The 8 year old girl, who was slightly taller than average for her age, fidgeted on the couch with sweaty palms. Her parents weren't home yet, they were probably at the 'bar', as Yuri's dad had stated before.

Yuri had no clue what a 'bar' was, she was an innocent 8 year old girl. But, she was smart, as she guessed that the 'bar' had something to do with the bitter stench her parents gave off whenever they came home late.

Yuri eyed the clock, 1 AM. They'll be home any minute. Yuri held onto the test in her hand, she looked at the grade again, 89%. It wasn't as bad as her first grade, she had improved, only because she wanted to make her parents proud of her for once. 

The door slammed open, causing Yuri to jump slightly. She heard the loud voices of her parents as they entered the living room, where Yuri was. "Hey!" Her dad yelled. Yuri jumped and looked at her father. "Isn't too late for you to be... Up?" He asked, talking slowly as he slurred his words.

Yuri smiled and nodded, "Yes, but I wanted to show you my test! I did better than last time! See?" She said, holding up the test, ignoring the strong smell coming from her parents.

"89?" Her father asked. Yuri smiled and nodded, "I did better, last time I got a 70." Yuri's smile soon faded as her father ripped the paper into pieces. "Not good enough!" He yelled. Yuri flinched back.

Yuri's mother stepped up, almost stumbling over her footing but managed to regain her balance, "89 is horrible. When I was little, I got 100's and only 100's! I made my parents proud, you are a disgrace." She pointed to Yuri, wearing a scowl on her face.

Yuri couldn't help but tear up. She knew that if she cried, they will spank her again. So she tried hard not to release tears. It was hard, but she managed to stay calm, "I tried hard."

"Apparently not hard enough!" Her father roared, "I can't believe my kid is this stupid." Yuri's lips trembled, she had to bite them to stop them from moving.

Yuri knew that she wasn't as smart as the other kids. She knew that she was a little slow on learning. But that gives her more reasons to try harder, and she does try harder. She's been staying late for tutoring, she's been reviewing her school books every night. But, of course, her parents don't know how hard working she is.

Yuri felt the first hit on her head, a smack from her father. "We did not give birth to an idiot." He sneered. Yuri lowered her pounding head, "I'm not an idiot." She mumbled, mostly to herself.

Surprisingly, her mother heard, she slapped Yuri's face. "No talking back!" Yuri's face stung, her head pounded. 

Not being able to hold it anymore, Yuri began to cry, shaking her small shoulders up and down. "Now you're crying? My daughter is not an idiot, or a cry baby!" This only caused Yuri to cry more, hearing the statement from her father. She felt a hit on her stomach, knocking the air out of her, "Stop!" She gasped.

"No crying! My daughter is not weak!" Her father exclaimed as Yuri curled herself into a ball on the ground, clutching her stomach as she tried to regain her breath. "Please. Stop." She whispered, but her parents didn't hear her.

"Get up!" Her mother screamed. The alcohol was getting to the parents head, they had no idea what they were doing to the poor girl. Her mother tried to pull Yuri up by the arm, but failed. She manage to scratch Yuri's arms, leaving some peeled skin and some blood leading out. 

Her father kicked her, "Yah! Listen to us! Get up!" Yuri could only cry, knowing she wasn't as strong as her mother or her father. She could only endure the pain, only until her parents would get tired and would pass out, then remember nothing.

But this time, it was different. Her parents didn't pass out, they kept beating her. And beating her. Eventually, they left the girl, crying, still curled in the ball, and went to the bedroom after yelling at her for being weak.

After Yuri heard the bedroom close, she began to sob into her knees. She shut her eyes tightly, not wanting to see all the bruises and cuts formed on her body. Her body ached, her head throbbed. Her arms stung from all the cuts from her mother, her ribs bruised from the kicks she's received from her father.

When morning came, Yuri's mother walked into the living room, only slightly hung over, but mostly sober. She gasped when she saw Yuri in the condition she was in. She tried to remember what happened, but couldn't remember. Yuri's mother went over and shook Yuri's body, being cautious of her visible cuts.

Yuri's eyes shot open. Mrs. Kwon gasped at how red her daughters eyes were. Yuri crawled away from her mother, covering her face with her arms, "Don't hit me!" She begged. "I promise, I'll do better next time! Just don't hit me any more" the young girl cried and pleaded.

Mrs. Kwon was shocked at her daughter's behavior, had she done this? "Yuri? What happened?" She asked cluelessly.

Yuri continued to cry, recalling last nights event. She remembered that after her parents passed out, they would forget about what happened the other day, "You and daddy beat me." She said quietly, still crying but her sobs subsided to occasional sniffing.

Mrs. Kwon's eyes widened, feeling guilty. "Yuri-ah." She called softly. Yuri shook her head and closed her eyes, curling herself into a ball again as she placed herself in a corner, her back facing her mother, "Leave me alone...." Yuri asked. "Please." She added, not wanting to sound rude. 

Mrs. Kwon sighed, knowing that Yuri wouldn't talk to her. She went to the cabinets in the kitchen and grabbed some band aids and an ice pack. She walked back to where Yuri was, but didn't see her. 

Yuri's mother panicked and looked around, then she noticed that Yuri's backpack was gone, replaced by a note.

I went to school. Don't worry, I covered the cuts. I'll try harder next time, mommy.

Love you.

Yuri

Mrs. Kwon's eyes filled with tears. She felt incredibly guilty. After that, she tried to stop drinking, for the sake of her daughters safety. But, Mr. Kwon always managed to persuade her to drink more.

"Mianhe, Yuri-ah."