An Existing Gap

15 Minutes After Midnight

 

 

Victoria’s POV

My eyes searched wildly around the airport for Nichkhun. It was quite difficult to find him with sunglasses on, but I couldn’t let anyone recognize me. Oppa’s sunglasses covered half of my face and my slim body looked a bit plump with the large jacket I was wearing. I hid my head under the hood and looked around the massive airport.

    There weren’t a lot of people but still the airport was too big and I couldn’t risk walking around the airport so openly even with this disguise on. I stayed close to the walls and began searching for him again. On the either side of the airport, I spotted a large number of crowds standing in a big group. I curiously walked towards them, keeping my head low. I froze when I saw them holding posters and banners with Nichkhun’s face on them.

    “Shoot, I’m dead if his fans see me here.” Slowly I backed away and power-walked towards the far side of the airport, opposite from the massive crowd. I hid behind a secluded corner of a corridor that leads to the public bathroom. I slowly poked my head out and took a look around again. “Nichkhun must be boarding on that gate.” I nodded to myself.

    I slowly walked out of my hideout when people walking towards the bathroom would stare at me strangely. I pretended to wait for someone and paced around the entrance of the corridor.

    When the area around me was empty, I slowly took Oppa’s sunglasses off, shoved it in the jacket’s pocket and tucked a strand of hair behind my ear. I looked at the massive crowd again. Aish, how am I supposed to see Nichkhun when his fans are all waiting for him? They can’t know I’m here. Maybe this is a sign. Maybe it’s just not meant to be.

    I sighed. I walked towards the seating area in front of me, looking to my left and then to my right—the area was completely empty. I took a seat on the metal chairs and pulled the hood of the oversize jacket back a bit; it was a bit uncomfortable as the big jacket hung on me loosely and heavily. I wondered whose jacket is this. Is this Oppa’s? No, this jacket is too big to be Oppa’s. I shook my head and froze when I heard voices and loud footsteps coming towards me. The hood fell back, revealing my face and before I could pull the hood back up, a few girls wearing t-shirts with Nichkhun’s face printed on them sat next to me.

    I slowly turned my whole body away from them in my seat and got up to walk away smoothly without them noticing me. I kept my head down as I walked and accidentally bumped into a couple of guys carrying some luggage.

    “Sorry.” I said in a deep voice to hide my own and continued walking. I took a peek from under my lashes and people were starting to fill in this vacant side of the airport. I could see some being Nichkhun’s fans with posters and banners in their hands. “Shoot!” I muttered under my breath as I tried to dodge from their sights.

    I hid my face behind my hair and walked as fast I can towards a secluded area but the airport was now crowded with people. I started to panic when I saw another group of Nichkhun’s fans heading towards my direction.

    “Oh no, what should I do?” I was now trapped when I saw Nichkhun’s fans everywhere. Someone was bound to see me here if I don’t hide now.

    I gasped when I felt someone grabbing my wrist and started towing me. Oh my god, someone recognized me! I kept my eyes closed, not daring to see what will happen next. I felt the person tugging on my wrist, wanting me to walk faster. I did as I was told and hoped this person won’t yell my name out in the airport.

    I heard a door closed and my nose started to crinkle. I felt the need to cough all of a sudden. Where am I?

    “Victoria-ssi, what are you doing here?” A man’s voice asked, panting. I opened my eyes and they bulged from their sockets when it was Nichkhun in front of me.

    “How… what…” So many questions popped in my mind making me dizzy. I looked around and realized we were at the emergency stairs. No wonder it felt dusty in here. I had another urge to cough again and my nose was uncomfortable with the sooty smell.

    “Why were you just standing in the middle of a huge crowd? Someone could’ve spotted you and started a huge commotion.” His voice was slightly raised and I looked down on my shoes. He sighed. “It’s not safe, Victoria.” He said, his tone a little bit softer.

    “I’m sorry.” I whispered, still looking at my shoes. “I… I wanted…” I hesitated. What should I say to him? Should I just tell him the truth? The situation suddenly got more awkward than what I’d imagined.

    “You wanted what?” He prompted. I look up shyly and blushed. He walked closer towards me and I tottered backwards until I could feel the wall against my back. “You wanted what?” He repeated, placing a palm on the wall behind me. I looked back at my shoes, flustered at how close he was. He tilted my chin up and I was staring at two big pools of warmth.

   “To see you…” I breathed and immediately regretted saying that. His eyes were almost hypnotizing so before I could blabber the truth some more, I quickly looked away. This amused him as he let out a chuckle.

   “Really?” I could hear the smug tone in his voice. “Why?” He asked innocently. I didn’t want to amuse him any more so I racked my brain for an excuse.

    “Mianhae!” I exclaimed. The thought randomly popped in my mind. He looked at me confusingly. “‘Mianhae’, I heard you said it when I was asleep at the WGM house.” He was clearly surprised at what I had said. His ears were slightly pinkish on the edges. It made me even more curious. “I wanted to know why you said that.”

    He pulled his hand off the wall and placed it on the back of his head; rubbing it nervously. I could see his ears quickly burning into a bright shade of red. Wow, he looks really nervous. Why? I felt giddy inside as I watched him fidgeting. I tried to suppress back my smile. I was actually enjoying this.

    “Tell me, I want to know why you’re sorry.” I prompted. He took a quick glance at me and looked away again.

    “I don’t know if I can tell you why… I’m afraid you’re going to get mad.” Huh? Mad? Did he do something wrong? I was confused now. He slowly looked back up and hesitated for a moment but then blurted, “You kissed me.”

    “What?” I yelled with astonishment. He quickly hushed me and placed a hand over my mouth, pressing himself closer to me. I was too shocked about what he said earlier to push him back. He looked up and down the stairs and out the small window on the emergency stairs’ door next to us. He sighed with relief that no one had heard me and let go of my mouth.

    “That night, you were having a nightmare I think and you kissed me while you were asleep.” He explained. I tried remembering back that night. Nightmare? Oh! I remembered Nichkhun disappearing in my dream. I also remembered seeing myself being happy, the memories that played there and how scared I was when he was about to disappear again just when he was only a few inches away.

    “Oh.” I gasped when I remembered lunging at him and locking lips with him in my dream. Oh no, don’t tell me I did that to him while I was asleep in real life?! “Oh my god, did I really?” I looked back at him and he tried suppressing a smile as he nodded. I glared at him. “What are you smiling about?” I snapped.

    “It was our second kiss.” He chuckled. I looked at him with disbelief.

    “No, okay. It was a misunderstanding, a mistake.” I stated. He arched a perfectly shaped eyebrow at me and lowered his head a bit so we were on the same eye-level.

    “Really?” I felt his warm breath against the side of my face. I took a step back but my back was already pressed against the concrete wall. I was stunned when I stared into his eyes and jumped a bit when a loud ringing tune echoed through the stairway.

    “Nichkhun-ssi… you’re phone.” I said shakily, our faces still close.

    “It’s probably Min Jae Hyung.” He shrugged. “But back to the subject, even though you say it’s a mistake, you still kissed me. That’s still a fact.” I couldn’t think straight with the incessant ringing of his phone and how captivated I was with his brown eyes.

    “I-I-I was unconscious at that time so…”

    “So?” I leaned back until my head was against the wall when his face drew closer to mine.

    “So it doesn’t count...” My voice trailed. The loud ringing echoed throughout the space but all I could hear was my loud heartbeat in my chest.

    “Is that so?” He almost purred the words with his deep voice. His eyes looked down at my lips and slowly looked back up at my eyes.

    “Like I said before, it doesn’t count unless I’m conscious.” I almost whispered, my eyes were on his tempting lips—only a few inches away. “And didn’t I once say that a man should kiss a woman first, not the other way around?” He pressed his palm against the wall behind me and drew even closer, almost closing the gap between our lips.

    “So what should we do now?” He asked, his voice teasing. Nichkhun’s ears were as bright as how my cheeks were but yet his face was calm and collected. I wondered if he was enjoying tormenting me like this. I wanted him to close this small gap between our lips, let him be the one to initiate the kiss. But he took his time, still keeping me on the edge.

    “What do you think?” I hinted him with a smile, my eyes still locked on his lips.

    “Well you are conscious now, so…” With that he finally closed the small gap between us.

    Our second kiss was at the airport’s chalky emergency stairway and was accompanied by the loud annoying ringing sound of Nichkhun’s phone. His kiss was soft and sweet as his hand caressed my cheek. My hands were frozen on my sides and I couldn’t move when my heart threatened to explode in my ribcage. I kept my eyes close as I tasted  a small bit of my happiness.

    “Are you satisfied with our second kiss now?” He asked when he pulled his lips away. I nodded and smiled sheepishly. He let out a breathless chuckle as he rested his forehead on mine. His phone was still ringing. “I have to go.” He whispered. I nodded silently and he gently my cheek. “You better exit through the basement unless you want to get caught by the fans.”

    He finally let go of me and I started walking down the stairs towards the basement parking lot. I turned around and he was still standing there, a smile on his face.

    “Nichkhun-ssi.” I called, a shy smile on my lips. “I’ll see you later?” I asked cutely. He laughed and nodded.

   “As soon as possible, I promise.” He waved as he watch me disappeared down the stairs.

    I called manager Oppa to pick me up down at the basement and I couldn’t stop smiling the whole time I was in the car.

    “So?” Manager Oppa finally asked when we were almost near the apartment. “From how wide that smile is, I’m guessing things are going great now?”

    “Perfect!” I giggled and placed a finger on my still warm lips. Now things are definitely going to be perfect.

 

Well that was what I thought.

    After that day, we texted each other whenever we can; telling each other about our day and how we have been. Then I was too occupied with the promo, so I would reply his texts a little bit later than the time he sent them. Soon he was too busy as well to reply any of my texts and with the time differences, him being overseas and me in Korea or vice-versa, we could barely keep in touch. But after a few more weeks of unreplied messages and missed calls… we finally stopped and focused on our promo.

   But after another few weeks, I tried calling him when I watched a rerun of our last episode on WGM. I wanted to hear his voice and tell him I missed him but all I kept hearing was the endless beeping on the end of the line. I finally gave up on contacting him and kept myself busy with concerts and activities.

    Now it’s been exactly a month now since I last saw him.

    “Victoria, are you listening?” I felt a nudge on my shoulder and snapped out of my own thoughts. The company’s choreographer asked me if I was okay and I just nodded.

    I was now in the practice room with my members, practicing a new dance routine for our concert next week.

    “Ugh, I’m so tired!” Sulli groaned when we finished with our practice. She lay down on the wooden floors and wiped the sweat on her forehead with a small towel.

    “We’re all are.” Amber corrected as she gulped down a bottle of water.

    “Girls, go get ready. You have another schedule in a few hours.” Manager Oppa said as he entered the practice room. We all groaned. “Stop complaining and go get ready.” Oppa said sternly, ignoring our need to rest. “Oh Vic, your phone kept buzzing non-stop during your practice.” I got up from the wooden floors and took my cell phone in Oppa’s hand. I brows furrowed together when I looked at my screen: more than five missed calls from an unknown number and one text from the same caller.

    I opened the text and smiled as I read it.

Victoria, I’m really sorry that we had lost contact with each other these past few weeks. But I’m back in Korea now and it would be really great if you agree on having dinner with me tonight. Reply soon~~

Nichkhun

   So he is sorry for loosing contact with me. I harrumphed and replied him.

I'll think about it.

    I pressed ‘send’. I wanted him to think I was mad at him, I smiled. A few seconds later he replied back. He texted the time and place. He said his friend owned a restaurant near my company and had booked the whole place for us to have a private dinner together. He said that I have to come. My smiled widened.

    I was excited for tonight and couldn’t stop smiling for the rest of the day. After a month, I can finally see him again. I missed him so much and sometimes I was worried about where our relationship stands. Well to be frank, I was still a bit unsure of what our relationship is at the moment. Are we dating? Or are we still just getting to know each other? I know he has feelings for me, that was clear but we never actually confessed about how we felt towards each other.

   I suddenly wondered whether he was going to confess his feelings for me tonight.

   Oh my god, what should I wear?!

 

 

I took a long look at myself in the mirror. After an hour of arguing with myself on what to wear, I finally chose to wear a pleated red dress. I sat in front of my vanity and took out my jewellery box. I wondered which accessories would complement my look well and my eyes landed on a silver ring—the wedding ring Nichkhun gave me.

   I slipped the ring on my third finger and it fitted there perfectly. I smiled as I watched the tiny diamonds embedded sparkle in the light. I decided to only wear the ring so Nichkhun could notice it. I could almost imagine how his face would react if he sees me wearing it. I giggle to myself.

   I fixed my light make-up one more time and made sure my side bun was perfect. When I was satisfied with how I look, I grabbed my black coat and slipped it on before heading downstairs to wait for manager Oppa.

   My phone suddenly rang as I walked out of the elevator; it was Sulli.

    “Hey Sul, what’s up?” I asked.

    “Unnie! Where are you?” She sounded urgent on the phone.

    “I’m going out tonight, why?”

    “Are you going to the company?” She asked. I didn’t know what to answer. No one knew about my relationship with Nichkhun except for manager Oppa and I’m still not ready to tell my members, not yet.

   “Yeah.” Technically, I wasn’t lying since the restaurant I’m going to is near my company.

   “Unnie, I left my mp3 player in the practice room earlier. Can you please pick it up for me? Please?” She pleaded and I giggled.

    “Okay, don’t worry. By the way, where are you?”

    “I’m with the rest of the members. We have a schedule at the same studio tonight.” Oh yeah, everyone was busy with their own activities tonight.

    “Okay then. I’ll see you back at home. Bye.”

    “Bye Unnie~” She sang before hanging up.

    I slowly got into the back seat of the car when manager Oppa arrived, not wanting to get creases on my dress.

    “Wow Vic, you look great.” Oppa complimented, making me blush. “So are you ready for your big date?” He asked, a huge grin on his face. I laughed. I was thankful to have Oppa by my side. Even though the company forbids me to be in a relationship, Oppa still supports me and kept this relationship a secret from everyone.

   “Yeah, but before that, can you drop me off at the company first? I need to pick something up.” Oppa nodded and I thanked him.

    When we arrived at the company, I told manager Oppa to go first. I know where the restaurant was and decided to walk there. Oppa nodded and told me to have a great time. I ran towards the company and went straight towards the practice room.

    I turned the lights on and spotted Sulli’s bright pink mp3 player lying on the floor on the corner of the room. I quickly grabbed it and stuffed it in my bag. I took out my phone and look at the time, Nichkhun was probably waiting for me right now.

   I took another look at myself in the mirror  in the practice room and I could almost hear his voice complimenting me. How long had I’ve been waiting to hear him say how beautiful I look. I felt something doing somersaults in the pit of my stomach and my heart was thudding really fast. I quickly left the practice room, anxious to see his face again.

    Even though I already remembered his face by heart but I still feel like something was missing. I walked even faster down the hallways.

    “Ah, Victoria Unnie!” I stopped and saw Seohyun sitting on one of the large couches in the waiting area. She got up and ran towards me.

    “Seohyun-ah!” She gave me a hug and I hugged her back. We started walking towards the front entrance.

    “Wah Unnie, you look really beautiful. What’s the occasion?” She elbowed me and smiled teasingly.

    “It’s nothing.” I answered sheepishly and she laughed. “By the way, what are you doing here? Do you have a schedule?”

    “Hm? No, I was actually waiting for… Oh Unnie!” Seohyun was staring up ahead and waved her hands. I look up ahead and saw someone I haven’t seen for a very long time now. “Tiffany Unnie, I was waiting almost half an hour for you.”

   “Sorry Seohyun-ah, I was held up a bit at the studio.” She apologized then she turned to look at me. Her eyes grew wide and so did her smile. “Victoria Unnie! It’s been a while since I saw you.” She said and gave me a hug. I was startled by the sudden contact.

    “Yeah Tiffany, it’s been a while.” I said slowly.

I suddenly felt a pang in my heart as I looked at this sweet girl in front of me.

    “Wow Unnie, you look beautiful, gorgeous!” She complimented, making the guilt even heavier in my chest. “Where are you going?”

I couldn’t answer her, how can I? What could I say?

"Please, don't fall in love with him." Her sobs echoed through my mind.

That was the last thing she said to me the last time I saw her. 

 

~~~

Dum, dum, dum... So now everything will be unravelled. Haha, I've been hearing a lot of Khunfany lately so I decided to add it to my fanfic. Enjoy~ And thank you for the support you guys! Fighting! 

P.S I may edit this chapter later cause I was in a rush making this and had no time to review it back. I'll do that later cause I'm tired now. Haha, see you all later!

~~~

Okay, so I edit the story a bit. I'm not a fan of Khunfany either but I need to put it in my fanfic so the story would make sense later. Just bear with me please, and sorry but I promise there will be more Khuntoria moments <3