Here With Me

15 Minutes After Midnight

Victoria’s POV

 

‘The number you’re calling is currently unavailable. Please try again later. Beep…’

 

  I sighed as I shoved my phone back in my jacket’s pocket. A few months have passed yet I still get the same answer whenever I called Nichkhun’s number. The same robotic voice greeting me on the other end of the line. I sighed as I grabbed a magazine on the small table in front of me and flipped through the pages.

    “There’s less articles about him now.” I muttered to myself as I read a short article about Nichkhun doing a lot of charity works after the accident. Well at least the articles aren’t vicious anymore. I sighed again and tossed the magazine back on the table.

    After the accident happen, of course everyone went wild; fans, the media even all the idols. Magazines, online blogs, TV shows were all bashing Nichkhun. It was inevitable really when an idol is caught for DUI, but I never thought it would be this vicious. It was awful, having to hear Nichkhun being labelled as irresponsible and reckless by everyone. Even fans turned their backs on him.

    It was a hectic couple of months for me. And I wasn’t even remotely involved in any of this, so I can’t imagine how worse it must be for Nichkhun.

    I called and texted him every day but he never responded. I even called his manager but even he won’t answer my calls. Countless times I contemplated whether or not to just go to JYP and ask about his current situation but the scandal would get worse if I was suddenly caught in the equation. I don’t need him to suffer more just because I was worried about him.   

    But the problem is, I do worry about him and I just can’t sit here and do nothing. I lay my head back against the couch and closed my eyes.

    I met Wooyoung a few weeks ago at KBS and he told me every excruciating detail about Nichkhun’s situation. He told me that Nichkhun had changed drastically, being depressed and a loner in his dorm. He refused to eat and talk to anyone. Wooyoung looked really upset as he told me everything. I’m sure the rest of 2PM members were just as upset as I was.

    I sighed again. I wonder how he is today.

    “Vic?” I looked up and saw manager Oppa waiting for me outside of the waiting room. I pulled out a smile as I gathered my things and got up.

    As I followed my manager towards the front entrance of my company, I stopped when I saw a familiar figure walking down another hallway.

    “Oppa,” I called, my eyes still on the figure. “You go first. I’ll meet you back in the car.” I didn’t wait for him to respond and started running. “Tiffany!”

    Tiffany stopped walking and turned around when I called her name, she was on her phone. “Please call me back okay? Please.” She said to her phone before shoving it in her red coat’s pocket. “Hey Unnie. What’s up?” She smiled but it looked weary.

    I was blank for a moment. I didn’t know why I ran after her to be honest. I was thinking about Nichkhun and when I saw her face, I just immediately called her. I guess I was desperate to know how Nichkhun is doing, but suddenly it feels awkward to ask that question to her. I opened my mouth to speak but closed it back shut. What should I say?

    “I don’t know.” She said with a sigh. I looked at her with a confused look. She laughed. “I know you wanted to ask me about Nichkhun, but I haven’t heard from him since before I went to Japan.” She said with a smile but her eyes were suddenly glassy. “I’ve been trying to reach him every day.” Her voice cracked. The person she just talked to on the phone just now, was she calling Nichkhun?

    I looked at her face, she looks stressed and drained. She must be feeling as upset as I was. The pain of not knowing how Nichkhun is bearing this situation was evident on her face. My chest tightened when a tear trickled down her face.

    “It’s okay.” I said. It felt like the only thing I could say to her. Tiffany wiped the corner of her eyes with her fingers and laughed.

    “How do you know?” I just shrugged as I walked towards her and gave her a hug.

    “It’s just going to be okay.” I said again and Tiffany finally burst into tears.

    Everything is going to be okay, I said to myself as I swallowed back my own sobs rising in my throat.

 

 

“One coffee with cream, less sugar please.” I said to the coffee guy standing behind the counter of the 24-hour coffee shop I was in. He nodded and stifled a yawn before he turned around to make my order. I loosened the scarf around my neck and ran a hand through my golden locks as I looked around.

    The small shop was vacant, probably because it was still too early in the morning. I had an early schedule in a studio nearby and decided to stop for coffee to get me energized before starting. I looked out the big glass walls, the sky was still dark but dawn wasn’t far away.

    I gasped when I saw a familiar figure walking pass the coffee shop. Without hesitation, I ran out the door, ignoring the coffee guy calling behind me. I looked around the bare streets and spotted the figure far up ahead. I started running.

    “Nichkhun!”

 

Nichkhun’s POV

I was driving. I was looking straight on the road. I saw the traffic light changing up ahead. I stepped on the brakes. But my legs couldn’t move. I saw a flash—blinding. I heard a loud crash.

    Oh my gosh! Sir, are you okay? I’m so sorry. I need help!

 

 

I woke up with a gasp as the accident played itself in my mind again. I wiped the sweat trickling down my face with my hands and waited for my heart rate to drop.

    It’s been months since that night yet it still haunts me. I guess I deserved it. I was stupid to drink and drive that night. What was wrong with me? I sighed. I looked at the digital clock on my nightstand. 4 a.m. Right on time.

    Since the accident, I’ve been having trouble sleeping. I keep getting nightmares and they always woke me up around 3 or 4 in the morning. I got up from my bed and took a cold shower, a new routine I’ve been doing for a while now. I put on some casual clothes and went out of the apartment.

    I started walking on the vacant streets, just wandering around, getting some fresh air. Being cooped up in my apartment all the time, it was nice walking in the city so early in the morning. It felt like being in an abandon city with the shops lights turned off, the roads bare, the silence of the cool morning… I didn’t have to worry about someone attacking me with cameras and microphones. It was just me, a normal guy walking around all alone at 4 in the morning.

    I pulled the hood of my jacket further across my head and shoved my hands in my pockets; it’s a bit colder today than usual.

    As I continued to walk, a very beautiful and warm face greeted me in my mind. I sighed and let myself drowned in the images playing in my mind. I took out my phone from my back pocket and stared at the calls log. Victoria called twice yesterday.

    I sighed again. After all this time, she still keeps calling me even though I never called her back. I didn’t want to face her, I felt embarrassed and ashamed. I don’t want her to be associated with someone who’s hated by the nation. I wish she would just stop worrying and just forget about me.

    “Nichkhun!” I froze. A familiar voice was calling my name. But… but—I must be imagining things. I started walking again but the same voice called my name one more time. I quickly turned around and fought the mixture of emotions forming in the pit of my stomach as I watched Victoria ran after me. Her face as beautiful as I remembered, her blonde hair radiant in the dark morning and her smile… it still makes my heart jump.

    Without hesitating, I ran towards her and pulled her into my arms. I held her tight as I took in the familiar scent of her hair.

    “I miss you.” I breathed as I ran a hand through her silky blonde locks. “I really miss you.” I said again as I caressed her face. She smiled at me and my eyes sting from the warmth she gave me. I’ve been so scared and afraid and having her in my arms made me feel safe again. My chest was bursting with joy and relief that it was agonizing.

   I slowly leaned towards her and our lips finally met.

 

 

But all of that didn’t happen. I wanted it to. I really do, but instead I did something I would really regret.

 

 

   “Nichkhun.” Victoria said again after she caught her breath. We were still a few feet apart but I could see and hear her clearly, her smile was still wide, she looked relieved.

    “What are you doing here?” I asked, my tone cold. Her smile waver a bit as I glared at her. She opened to speak but closed it back. I let out a frustrating sigh. “Why are you here?” I asked again, my tone a bit rougher.

    “Nichkhun…” She looked afraid as she stared at me. “I-I tried calling you.” She finally said softly.

    “I know, and can you please stop that? It’s really irritating to hear my phone ringing all the time.” She gasped.

    “Wh-Wh-What are you saying?”

    “I’m saying that I don’t need you to meddle in my life!”

    “I was just worried!” She yelled back.

    “Don’t be!” I snapped and she gasped again.

    “B-But I’m just trying to help. As a friend—” I cut her off.

    “No.”

    “What do you mean? Are you saying that… that we’re not friends anymore?” I could hear her voice cracking slightly.

    “Exactly. So do me a favour and stop clinging on to me. It’s uncomfortable.” With that I finally turned around and started walking.

    “Congratulations Nichkhun!” I stopped when she yelled those words at me. I turned around, my eyes grew wide and my heart clenched itself tight in my chest as I saw a tear made a wet line on her right cheek. “You finally made me cry.”

    As I said earlier, I did something I really regret… but it was the only way to stop Victoria from hurting herself even more if she stays with me. I turned around; my jaw clenched tight and started walking again, her sobs slowly fading behind me.

 

 

~~~

Hello, it’s been a while now. I’ve written a lot of the chapters but decided not to post them all in one go. I’ve been missing Khuntoria lately, if it weren’t for me writing this fic, I think I would’ve forgotten about them Oh, I really wish some news, no matter how small, about them would come out. I really miss them T.T

So, I guess that’s it. P.S Sorry that this chapter is a bit sad.

Love you guys for still supporting me and not given up on me yet!

Hwaiting!