Little Ways Down the Road

15 Minutes After Midnight

 

Victoria’s POV

Life is funny.

    I’ve laughed. I’ve cried. I’ve tasted the sweetness of love. And I’ve tasted the bitterness of heartbreak. But life still goes on. It doesn’t stop and wait for you. You have to just get over it and catch up with life’s steady pace. And so that’s what I did. I moved forward.

    My movie ‘Damsel’ was a success, it won many awards and so did I. Who knew that this movie would be the opening door for my career? I was acknowledged as a true actress and the following year I was casted for multiple movies, Chinese and Korean. And at the end of the year, I was receiving acting jobs from the US. Sajangnim said I was now at the top of the ladder—the sky is my limit.

    F(x) was still going strong, despite my growing acting career. We’d released our latest album not long ago and it made it to the top charts all over the country in just a short period. My members’ individual careers were expanding just as fast; Luna and Krystal are working on their solo albums, Sulli is filling up her schedule with acting roles and Amber had produced a number of songs for SM’s idol groups. We were now at the of our careers and we’ve never been proud of ourselves.

    Sajangnim had revoked the dating-rule for F(x) this year seeing that I was now 29 and still lack experience in that area (haha). My members were excited, of course, they’ve each been dating someone and some are getting really serious with their relationship. I’ve dated too, once or twice but I’m not looking for a relationship right now. No, scratch that, it’s not that I’m not looking for a relationship, it’s just that there is no one that I want to start a relationship with. But I’m okay with that.

    And him?

    2PM was still dubbed as the beasts of K-Pop but lately all the members are focused on their individual careers. Some was now going solo or  having an acting career, which resultantly are increasing their already huge fan-base. Even though they are not active as '2PM', they are still a team. I think he’s currently studying about music producing. I heard he wrote a couple of songs for rookies.

    And his relationship status?

    He broke up with Tiffany a year after they announced their relationship. They both said the feeling of love was no longer there and it took them a long time to figure that out. But they said there were still the best of friends and nothing will change the fact that they were once in love.

    And so here we are, strolling the little ways down the road to where everyone should be.

 

 

“I think I might be getting too old for this.” Sulli complained as she rubbed the back of her neck. “I’ve never felt so exhausted in my life!” She sighed as she slumped back in her seat.

    “Shut up, Sul. I’m trying to sleep over here.” Krystal grumbled as she adjusted the eye-covers on her face.

    “Here Sul, put this on your neck.” Amber gave Sulli a heat-patch and Sulli smiled gratefully at her. I only smiled as I watched my members trying to rest in the airplane after doing countless concerts in the past week.

    F(x) had just finished our tour in Japan and right now we’re heading back to Korea. I stretched out my arms and yawned. I looked out the small window and it was almost dawn, I could almost see rays of orange breaking out of the horizon.

    “Vic Unnie, turned off your light. I can’t sleep.” Krystal grumbled again and I didn’t realize I still had my light on. I stretched out my hand and switched it off.

    “She’s wearing eye-covers for god sake. Krystal and her beauty sleep.” Luna muttered under her breath and shook her head as she snuggled against her blanket. I stifled back a giggle as I lay my head back and closed my eyes.

 

 

I woke up to the sound of my phone ringing. I squinted my eyes and adjusted them to the darkness of my room. I scrambled out of the blankets and found my phone on the nightstand. I rubbed my eyes and yawned before checking my phone.

    “Ugh spam…” I muttered in annoyance and quickly blocked the number. I then looked at the time and—“It’s already 11 p.m.?” I quickly got out of bed and the lights. The sudden brightness made my head spin and I felt a bit nauseous. Well that’s what you get for sleeping more than 12 hours straight. After landing in Korea earlier in the morning, I remembered heading back to my apartment and crashed on my bed, completely worn out and jetlag. I can’t believe I’ve been sleeping since.

    I went towards the bathroom to freshen up and then went to the kitchen to get myself a cup of coffee. My members were still asleep and I let them continue on with their slumber. They’ve been working too hard and they need to sleep more.

    I took a sip of my coffee and stared out at the balcony. The city lights played with my imagination as my thoughts ran out freely with the cold breeze. I was wide awake and I had no idea what I should do for the rest of the night. I went back inside and started fiddling with my phone.

    And then I noticed it.

    I quickly went into my bedroom and changed into something warmer and left the apartment. I managed to hail a cab and I told the driver the location. About 30 minutes later, I’ve reached my destination.

    I paid the driver and got out of the cab. I looked up at the building towering over me and smiled. With quick steps, I made my way into the building and went up to the 60th floor. The 63 building was vacant so no one saw me almost running in the lobby and frantically pushing the elevator button.

    When I made it to the 60th floor, I sprinted up the stairs, taking it two steps at a time. I pushed open the steel doors and the cold wind blew furiously against my face. My eyes widened as I watched the gorgeous view of the city and the chained pink heart-letters fluttering in the wind. A small smile was on my lips as I started walking towards the chain-link fence.

    I took out my phone and it was 11.45 p.m. and the date, 31st of May. It was 15 minutes before midnight, 15 minutes before the day I first met Nichkhun at this very spot. I took a deep breath and let old memories played in my mind, laughing and crying as I drowned myself in those sweet and bitter moments I ever had with him.

    “Hey.” A strangely familiar voice suddenly said startled me. I turned around and…

    “Hi.” I responded, my face blank. He smiled as he walked closer.

    “I think we’ve met before.” He suddenly said and then turned to look at his wristwatch. “I think it was here, right?” A giggle escaped my lips when he smiled at me.

    “Yeah, I think we’ve been here together before.” I agreed and giggled again. I turned away from him and faced back the city view. He was now standing next to me, eyes on the view too. “And today’s the day we first met actually.” I said. It was now officially 12 midnight, 1st of June. He then chuckled and nodded.

    “Happy anniversary, Victoria.” He said as his hand laced mine. I smiled at the familiarity of his smile, his touch and his warmth. I giggled again as I squeezed his hand tighter.

    “Happy anniversary, Nichkhun.”

 

    Life is indeed funny.

    We’ve laughed. We’ve cried. We’ve tasted the sweetness of love. And we’ve tasted the bitterness of heartbreak. But as life goes on we walked along life’s steady pace.

    And so here we are, by each other’s side, the little ways down the road had led us to where we should be. Together.