A Brief Getaway

15 Minutes After Midnight

 

(FLASHBACK)

YEAR 2010

Victoria’s POV

“Oh my god!!!” I screamed with frustration as I stared at myself in the big mirror placed in my company’s practice room. I took a deep breath and exhaled, calming myself down.

    Two days. The dance performance is in just two freaking days! I didn’t know why I was so nervous. After finishing all my schedules somewhere around noon, I’ve been practicing the dance routine for the rest of the day. It was a bit challenging to dance without Nichkhun but it was still manageable. I just hope I can do as good as how I had practiced.

    A sudden image of me falling off the stage popped in my mind. I quickly shook the thought away. Those sorts of negative thoughts kept bugging my mind constantly. I was already worn-out from F(x) activities and this kind of negative thinking is not helping at all. My body was already tired; I don’t need to exhaust my mind as well.

    But with the whole WGM situation, my mind was already a mess. I sighed. Aish, I don’t need to think about this now. The performance is what’s important. I started dancing the routine again—for who knows how many times now.

    Exhausted from hours of dancing, I flopped myself down on one of the chairs and grabbed my bag. I look at the time on my phone—almost 6 p.m. Wow, I can’t believe it’s getting late. I wiped the beads of sweat forming on my forehead with a small towel and started fanning myself with my hand.

    “Okay, time to go home!” I clasped my hands together and smiled with satisfaction at my dancing. I gathered my things and left the practice room.

    I walked down the hallway and decided to exit through the back door. It would be pretty embarrassing if someone caught me exiting through the main door of my company in my workout gear and all covered in sweat. It will completely ruin my image.

    As I walked out through the auto-sliding doors, I took out my phone and started texting manager Oppa to come pick me up at the back entrance. I froze—almost dropping my phone—when I saw a tall figure leaning against the rails at the bottom of the stairs. 

    “Nichkhun… Nichkhun-ssi?” I asked as I slowly walked down the stairs. Nichkhun turned to look at me, a huge grin on his face as he waved at me. He took off his sunglasses and hooked it on the small pocket of his shirt. It was almost dark, why was he wearing sunglasses? “What are you doing here?” I asked again and froze halfway down the steps. Are we recording for WGM right now? Is that why he’s here?

    My hands quickly darted up to my face, trying to hide myself. My face is completely bare… and sweaty too. I can’t shoot like this! My eyes shot back at Nichkhun when I heard him chuckle.

    “Relax, it’s just me.” He chuckled again and shook his head. Wow, how can he know me so well? I smiled sheepishly at him as I removed my hands from my face. I slowly continue walking down the steps.

    “If we’re not shooting for WGM then, why are you here?” I looked at him quizzically but he just smiled that boyish smile at me.

    “You’ll see.” He said lightly as he casually laced his fingers in mine and started dragging me.

    “What—where are we going?” I asked, confused but he didn’t say a word. I saw our sleek black car parked not far ahead. He opened the door for me but I hesitated. I eyed him suspiciously but he just smiled that dazzling smile of his.

    With a heavy sigh, I relented and got in. I glowered at him as he took a seat in the driver’s seat and buckled on his seatbelt. He pointed at my seatbelt with his chin and I buckled them on, my eyes still on him. He placed the keys in the ignition and the car purred to life. He turned to face me, his smile wide and his eyes were glinting with excitement.

    “Let’s have some fun.” He exclaimed enthusiastically as he stomped on the gas pedal.

 

 

“Here.” I looked up and smiled at Nichkhun as he handed me an ice-cream cone. Vanilla, his favourite. “Sorry, they’re all out of green tea ice-cream.” He apologized as he took a seat next to me. I shook my head as I the ice-cream.

    “It’s fine. Vanilla is one of my favourites too.” I gave him a smile and he smiled back. He took a of his ice-cream and stared out at the big blue blanket of ocean spread in front of us. We were on the beach.

    I rested my chin on my knees as I dug my toes in the warm soft sand. I took another of the ice-cream and listened to the soft soothing swishing sound of the waves gently hitting the sand. I miss this. It reminds me of home. I rested my cheek on my knees as I gaze at Nichkhun who was lost at the beauty of the sea as well.

    “What are you looking at?” He asked softly as he took another of his ice-cream. His eyes were staring far off into the sea. I took another of my ice-cream and just smiled.

    “Thank you.” I murmured. He tore his eyes away to look at me.

    “It’s nothing.” I smiled at him and just gazed into his eyes. He seemed to be mesmerized by mine like how I was by his as well. I giggled softly when I saw his ears burning and I could feel my cheeks getting hot. He chuckled and continued looking out at the beautiful scenery of the velvet ocean. “I wanted to look at the stars but there aren’t any tonight.” He said, I looked up as well and nodded.

    The drive to the beach took about an hour I think. By the time we got here it was already dark. I really didn’t expect him to take me here but I’m really glad he did.

    “But Nichkhun-ssi, why did you drive me to the beach?” I asked as I my ice-cream. Nichkhun haven’t given me any explanation yet to why he brought me here. Nichkhun finished off the last bit of the cone of his ice-cream and leaned back against the sand.

    “Just thought you deserved a getaway. Our girls told me how stressed out you were about the performance and you’ve been practicing every day. So I decided to pull you away from reality for a while.” I nodded and finished of the last of my ice-cream. Then I shot Nichkhun a teasing smile. “What?”

    “Our girls?” I asked teasingly and laughed when he blushed, his ears red. I guess he was used to calling my members as ‘our daughters’. I giggled softly and shook my head.

    The cool sea breeze blew and it felt nice against my skin but it was also getting a bit chilly. I wrapped my arms around my knees and tried warming myself up. I was a bit startled when two pair of muscular arms circled around my shoulders from behind.

   “Comfortable?” Nichkhun asked. I slightly tilted my head around to smile at him. I was a bit surprised at our sudden closeness but it felt nice and I didn’t care.

    “This is nice.” I murmured as I leaned my head back against his shoulder. I held my breath when I felt his body suddenly stiffened. Was I too much? I started to panic but the feeling quickly evaporated when I felt him relaxed.

    “What is? Being here or being with me?” He asked teasingly. I playfully slapped his arm and giggled.

    “Both. Being here with you is nice.” I answered. “Thanks again. I feel like I can finally breathe again.” I felt something against the top of my head and a small smile was on my lips.

    “Whenever you’re stressed out, I will give you the perfect getaway to relax yourself. Just like this, okay?” I nodded and giggled. I never thought I would be this peaceful and comfortable. Just hours ago, I was on the verge of a panic attack and I haven’t been this peaceful for weeks now. I’m really glad I have Nichkhun by my side. Even if it’s brief, I’m still glad. “So what do you want to do now?” I thought about it.

    “It’s been so long since I went to see the sea. Hearing the waves swishing, I really want to jump into the water right now.” I closed my eyes and took a deep breath at the salty air and smiled inwardly.

    “I can make that happen.” My eyes shot open when I felt his strong arms scooping me up from the ground. My eyes grew wide when he started running towards the water and threatened to throw me in it.

    I screamed and clung onto his neck. I heard him chuckle and when I tried to slap his arm, he started to sway me back and forth.

    “Nichkhun!” I yelled. He just laughed and seconds later I joined him. He tightened his hold on me and I clung onto him as tight as I could.

    I wish time would stop right now, I whispered in my mind as I continued living this small moment I had with Nichkhun.