Devious

15 Minutes After Midnight

 

(FLASHBACK)

YEAR 2010

Nichkhun’s POV

 “Khun-ah, Jin Young wants to see you in his office right now.” Min Jae Hyung called, interrupting 2PM’s dance practice.

   “Did you get yourself in trouble?” Junho asked as he placed a hand on my shoulder. I just shrugged and wiped the sweat on my forehead with the sleeve of my shirt.

    I walked towards Jin Young Hyung’s office and knocked lightly on his door.

    “Come in.” He called. I slowly opened the door and bowed at him. He gave me a smile and gestured me to sit down on one of the sofas in the middle of the room.

    I took a seat and Jin Young sat right in front of me, his face tensed but calm. He placed a yellow folder on the glass table between us and pushed it towards me.

    “What is this?” I asked as I took the folder and slowly opening it.

    “I was wondering if you could tell me.” He answered as he leaned back against the sofa, his eyes still hard. I almost choked when I saw dozens of photos of me and Tiffany together . We look intimate with each other since the photos were taken during our dates.

    “Who sent you these?” I stood up and started pacing around in anger. Who the hell took these photos?

    “It doesn’t matter who took it since they haven’t been leaked yet. But have you had any idea how many fans are spreading rumours about you and Tiffany on the web? They say that you two had been dating for a while now. Some even say that they saw you two having dates together.” Now it was his turn to get furious. “Is that true?” I didn’t answer.

    I sat back down and shoved the photos back into the folder, looking away from Jin Young Hyung. I heard him sigh.

    “Khun-ah, you’re a good kid. I know that you know what will happen if you were to have a relationship with someone right now.” His tone was a bit softer and I slowly looked at his face. I nodded. “Okay, so please tell me the truth, are you having a relationship with Tiffany?”

    I thought about the answer. I wanted to be honest but if I told him the truth then he would tell Lee Soo Man and I know how strict Lee Soo Man is in his company. I didn’t want Tiffany to get into trouble because of me.

    “We’re just friends.” I answered, my voice hard. Jin Young Hyung heaved a heavy sigh.

    “Okay if you say so.” He said but I knew he didn’t believe me. “But even so, you both are really causing speculations in the media and on the web. So…” I watched Jin Young Hyung got up from the sofa and walked towards his desk. He took out another folder in one of the drawers and handed it to me.

    “What is this?” I asked as I looked inside the folder. There were papers in it.

    “It’s a contract. You’re going to sign up for WGM.” He answered as he sat back on the sofa in front of me.

    “WGM?” I looked at him questioningly. “You mean that reality show Jo Kwon’s in?”

    “Yup. The producer was looking for a new couple for the show so I asked him to cast you. It’ll be a great way to promote 2PM and yourself, plus it would help die down the rumours about you and Tiffany.”

    I looked at the contract in my hands. I knew about the show since Jo Kwon was in it with Ga In Noona a few months ago. It was a show about marriage and I can’t possibly act all lovey-dovey with another girl like I’ve seen Jo Kwon and Ga In Noona do it on the show. I’m not a good enough actor to fake those sort of things. I hesitated for a bit.

    “Hyung, I don’t know if I can do this…”  I placed the contract on the table and rubbed the back of my head. All that was on mind now was Tiffany. I wondered how she would react if she knew Jin Young Hyung plans to sign me up for WGM.

    “Khun-ah, it’s not something you can say no to. You have to do it if you want to protect your relationship with Tiffany.” I wanted to correct him about me and Tiffany’s relationship but he cut me off. “Besides, all you have to do is be that irritatingly chivalrous side of yourself to your ‘virtual wife’ and just do what the producer wants you to do. They’re only going to do 30 episodes or so.” I thought about it.

    “Can I have a moment Hyung?” I asked and he nodded. I excused myself from his office and started pacing in the hallway.

    I took out my phone to call Tiffany but my phone suddenly rang—it was her.

    “Tiffany?”

    “Nichkhun! Soo Man found out about us.” She sounded like she was sobbing. I felt my chest tighten. “I told him we were just friends but he said rumours were already spreading wildly about us. He even forced me to cut all contacts with you. What are we going to do?” She broke down crying and I wanted so bad to wrapped her in my arms and tell her everything is going to be alright.

    I suddenly felt extremely wretched to hear her like this. This is all my fault, I wasn’t careful enough. If only I wasn’t selfish enough to fall in love with her then none of this would happen.

    “Listen to me, I want you to do what your boss tells you to do.”

    “But…” She started to protest but I cut her off.

    “I’m going to take care of it. In the meantime, we should stop contacting each other, but just for a while. It’s for our career’s sake.” I tried reassuring her.

    “How are you going to take care of this?” She asked, her voice a bit coarse, how long had she been sobbing? My chest tightens again.

    “Jin Young Hyung thinks that the rumours would stop if I sign up for WGM.” I explained.

    “WGM? You mean that virtual marriage show?” I could hear the shock in her voice.

    “Don’t worry, it’s only for a short while. Everything will be back to normal when I’m done with it, I promise.”

    “Okay.” She answered after a long moment of silence. “I guess this is goodbye then.” I could almost hear the crack in her voice.

    “Don’t say that, I’ll call you whenever I get the chance okay?” Even though she has to stop contacting me doesn’t mean I can’t contact her, right? I closed my eyes as I pictured her face in my mind.

    “I trust that you’ll came back to me when all this mess is over, right?”

    “I’m yours for infinity.” I smiled when I heard her giggle on the other line.

    “Infinity.” She agreed. We both hung up and I sighed. I walked back into Jin Young Hyung’s office.

    “Who’s going to play as my wife?”

    “You’re going to meet with the producers tomorrow and discuss the details after signing the contract. Khun-ah, trust me. This is for your own good.” As much as I wanted to reject the offer, I couldn’t see another way out of it. Either I’ll do this or ruin Tiffany’s and my career. I groaned mentally in my head.

    Jin Young Hyung handed me a pen and I reluctantly took it and signed the contract.

    “Congratulations, you’re going to be a married man.” Jin Young Hyung joked but I was too down to even fake a laugh at him. “Cheer up, it’ll be done before you know it.” He tried comforting me as he patted my shoulders.

     “I hope so.” I murmured to myself. The sooner I get this over with, the sooner I can go back to Tiffany.

    Ugh, I’m going to dread every moment of recording that stupid show.

 

 

I was in one of the conference rooms in the company with the producers of WGM. They had explained to me about the show and the rules. Apparently I have to be single to sign up for WGM. I almost let out a mocking laugh when they said that. They told me they would start recording a few months from now since they haven’t casted anyone to be my so-called wife.

    “Do you have anyone particular you want to play as your wife?” Tiffany, I literally screamed her name in my mind but shook my head at the producers. “Common, you can’t honestly tell me there’s no one in an industry filled with gorgeous girls you want to work with?” I thought about it.

    “Shin Bong Sun.”

    “The comedian? You can’t be serious?” The producers laughed but my face showed no signs of frivolousness. “Isn’t there anyone else? I don’t think fans would want you to be with a comedian. They’re going to expect a more romantic couple.” I shook my head as they tried persuading me.

    “I want a Gag man couple feel.” That’s the only way I could think of doing this show without acting all couple-like and stuff. I’ve met Shin Bong Sun; she’s really spontaneous, outgoing and frivolous. She would be the perfect woman for me to get virtually married to without hurting Tiffany’s feelings. If I were to pair up with some pretty girl-idol, it would be torture for Tiffany to see us together on TV or on the web. Part of me would also feel like I’m cheating on her.

    “But Jo Kwon and Ga In already have that title. We planned on giving you a more romantic feel since all the fans know how chivalrous you are. We want to use that as an advantage to attract viewers.” I sighed and clenched my fist tightly, my knuckles turning white. “What about girl groups? Are there any that you’re a fan of?” The producers started listing down all the names of girl groups and my heart stopped when they mentioned SNSD.

   “Can I have some time to think about it? I’m still a bit confused about all of this.” I pretended to look like I was a bit daze and lost at the situation. I always do that when I try to dodge from something.

    “Of course, take your time. We still have a few months. We’ll meet you again when you decided on anyone.” I nodded and thanked them. We shook hands before they left and I slumped back in my seat when I was finally alone in the conference room.

    “Argh, what am I going to do!” I groaned to myself.

 

 

I unlocked the door to my dorm and was suddenly attacked by a loud popping sound and all I could see were colourful streamers and confetti in front of me.

    “Khunnie! Congratulations!” The guys yelled in unison. I was in shocked for a moment. They pulled me in and sat me down on the couch as they huddled around me.

    “Jin Young Hyung told us about your marriage. Haha, I can’t believe you’re going to get married.” Taecyon laughed and I had the sudden urged to punch him in the stomach.

    “Lucky! I wish they pick me to be on that show. Kwonnie kept boasting about how great it is to be married ever since he joined the show.” Wooyoung muttered as he leaned back against the couch. The guys all laughed, except for me.

    “Dou you guys know why I was picked to be on that stupid show?” I said in a monotone voice. The guys looked at me warily and a bit apologetic.

    “Yeah, we saw the rumours about you and Tiffany on the web.” Wooyoung said as he patted my shoulders comfortingly.

    “The worst part is that the producers want me to be the romantic type on the show. How can I act like I’m in love with someone else when Tiffany is still hurting about all this?” I cried in frustration.

    “Don’t worry Hyung, if you just act like that in WGM, everyone is going to think you’re dating your virtual wife instead of Tiffany. That sort of news always happens to couples on WGM and all the rumours about you two will be gone.” Chansung stated and the guys all nodded in agreement.

    “I never thought Jin Young Hyung could  use this show as a distraction towards the fans from the rumours.” Taecyon said with admiration. “It’s sort of genius of him.”

    “It’s devious.” Junho muttered. Except from me, Junho was the only who looked bleak in the group.

    “What’s wrong with you. You look like you’re mad or something.” Taecyon asked as he elbowed him. “Yah, are you jealous?” Junho snapped his neck towards him and punched his arm.

    “I just don’t think it’s fair.” Everyone looked at him confusingly. “It feels like whoever is going to be Khun Hyung’s wife will just get used. Like a scapegoat or something?” That thought never crossed my mind before. Now I have another thing to worry about.

    “It’s not like she’s going to know anything. It’s just a show, she knows what to do.” Junsu stated matter-of-factly.

    “Yeah he’s right, it’s only a show, just work. Everything on that show is probably scripted.” Taecyon agreed. I was still confused at everything.

    “But what if she falls for Khun Hyung? You know how gentleman-like and caring he can be. It’s possible for her to have feelings for him.” Junho reasoned. Everyone was silent for a moment.

    “What should I do?” I asked, frustrated at the whole situation. I buried my face in palms as I tried sorting out my thoughts. I felt someone rubbing my back soothingly.

    “What about you tell her about your situation?” Taecyon suggested.

    “Are you crazy?” Wooyoung yelled.

    “That would worsen the situation.” Chansung yelled.

    “Khun Hyung is gonna get slap by her.” Junho muttered.

    “Okay, okay. It’s just a suggestion.” The guys all sighed as they tried helping me out. “Did they tell you who’s your wife is going to be by the way?” I shook my head.

    “They want me to think about some suitable candidates that would fit my type.” I answered.

    “Then why don’t you just choose one of the girls in SNSD. They probably know about the situation and could help you out. Plus, it won’t hurt Tiffany so much if it’s one of her members being married to you.” Everyone looked at Taecyon with astonishment.

    “That’s genius!” I cried and hugged him. He cringed at my embrace but I didn’t let go.

    “Yah, I didn’t think you were smart enough to think of a great idea like that.” Junsu teased. Taecyon beamed smugly at his so-called intelligence.

    “Wah that’s perfect. And since all the girls knows you well, there won’t be any feelings involve. You’re practically like family to them.” Chansung nodded.

    “Thanks guys. Wah, I feel like a huge burdened has lifted off my chest.” I was breathing heavily now from the relief.

    “So who are you going to choose to be your wife?” Wooyoung asked.

    “It should be someone you’re close to.” Junho said. “Someone who knows your personality well.”

    “And she has to be a great actress.” Junsu added and everyone nodded.

    “What about Yoona?” Taecyon suggested and everyone stared at him. It was no secret that he had a big crush on Yoona so I was bit touched when he said that.

    “Are you sure you’re okay with that?” I asked, a hand on his shoulder. He looked a bit hesitant at first but then nodded.

    “It’s fine. She knows you well and she’s a great actress, she’s perfect for the job.” Taecyon grinned at me and I pinched his cheek. “Ouch, that hurts.” I only smiled at him.

    “And didn’t Khun Hyung said once on a TV show that his ideal type was Yoona?” Chansung recalled. Everyone thought about it and Wooyoung surprised me when he clapped his hands together.

    “You’re right! If you do the show with Yoona, everyone would surely draw their attention towards Yoona instead of Tiffany. Wah, everything’s coming into place now.” Wooyoung looked as relieved as I was and I smiled gratefully at him. I was glad to have these idiotic guys by my side. Without them I would be totally lost right now.

    “I love you guys!” I cried as I pulled them into a group hug. I ignored all their complaints and groans as I was really happy at this moment.

 

 

“Hyung, can you call the producers of WGM for me?” I asked.

    “Why do you want to call them?” Chansung who was seating next to me asked. We were in the car on our way to shoot for Star King.

    “I want to inform them about my candidate.” I said as I took the beeping phone from Min Jae Hyung’s hand.

    “Oh, you mean Yoona as your wife?” I didn’t answer him when someone picked up the phone.

   “Hello, this is Nichkhun from 2PM.”

   “Ah, Nichkhun-ssi, yes. Why are you calling?”

    “I was wondering if I could do the show with Yoona from SNSD. I want to do the show with her if I can.” I persisted.

    “Yoona? Hm, okay. Is there anyone else you’re interested in?” I told him no. “We need a few more candidates from you. Call me back again when you think about it more.”

    “Okay then. Thank you.” I said as I hung up. I passed the phone back to Min Jae Hyung.

    “What did he say?” Chansung asked me.

    “He wants me to give him more candidates.” I said glumly.

    “Okay guys, we’re here.” Min Jae Hyung said, interrupting our conversation.

    “We’ll discuss it with the guys later, okay?” I smiled at Chansung as he patted my shoulders.

    Me and Chansung walked towards the studio as our manager parked the car. The assistant director greeted us and gave us the scripts for today’s show. Me and Chansung had to accompany some of the guests in doing their performances and I had to show off my singing skills as well. After a quick briefing, the assistant director finally left us.

    “Wow, today’s talents sound so cool.” Chansung said as he read the script. We were walking down the hallway towards our dressing rooms to read the rest of the scripts. “Look at all the star guests appearing today, wow!” Chansung sounded excited even though he’s been on this show several times before.

   “Unnie, how does my hair looks?” I turned to see two girls occupying one of the dressing rooms. I recognize one of them as Luna and her stylist I think since I couldn’t her face. The stylist gently combed Luna’s hair back and clipped them nicely.

   “Okay, you’re perfect!” Her stylist exclaimed excitedly as she clasped her hands together. Luna looked at her reflection for a bit and attacked her stylist with a hug.

    “Thank you Unnie!” She beamed. I was a bit shocked when they both turned slightly around and I could see that it was Victoria being hugged by Luna.

   “Okay, okay.” Victoria laughed. “Let go of me or you’re going to ruin your hair.” Luna laughed as she released her grip around Victoria’s waist. Victoria tucked back a few loose strands of hair and smiled sweetly at her.

    She would make a great mom, the thought suddenly ran through my mind as I watched them.

    “Hyung, manager Hyung is waiting for us!” I shook my head and saw Chansung already far up ahead. I ran towards him and for some reason I felt something fluttering inside of me.

   “Khun-ah are you okay? You look a bit red.” Min Jae Hyung asked when I got inside the dressing room.

   “Huh, I’m fine just…” I suddenly heard a loud thudding sound in the hallway. I turned around and saw someone running down the hallway. I walked towards the door to see what was going on but I froze at the door frame when Victoria suddenly walked in front of me, just a few inches away.

    “Luna! Don’t run in the hallway!” She yelled but then shook her and laughed as she tried to catch up with who it seems to be Luna.

   “Khun-ah! Khun-ah!”

    “Hyung! Hyung!”

    I heard Min Jae Hyung and Chansung calling me from behind but my eyes were still wide with shock as the fluttering inside of me fastened.

 

Min Jae’s POV

I was watching the boys doing the recording for Star King from the side lines of the studio. My mind couldn’t focused on their performances as I recalled back Nichkhun’s flustered expression earlier. He was acting so strangely in the dressing room earlier. He kept staring off into space and was completely drowned in his own thoughts.

    Maybe it was because of the whole Tiffany situation. But I had a feeling that wasn’t it. Nichkhun’s conversation with Chansung in the car earlier popped in my mind. I was really curious on why Nichkhun wanted to be on WGM with Yoona. He sounded persistent when he told the producer about his decision.

    I asked Chansung about it when Nichkhun was in his own world. He told me about the plan the boys had thought up. It was a pretty great idea but there was one thing they didn’t know about.

    Nichkhun doesn’t actually knows that Lee Soo Man was the one who asked Jin Young to sign him up for WGM. Jin Young told me that even if they manage to separate Nichkhun and Tiffany from each other, they both would still find a way to be together. So by having Nichkhun be on WGM, there would be a possibility of the two of them breaking up. And both Lee Soo Man and Park Jin Young will do whatever it takes to break those two up for good. It was devious and manipulative but I can’t blame them for being protective of their artists.

    Honestly, I felt bad for Nichkhun. He’s still a kid and he’s also human. It feels wrong to hurt him like this but it’s for his own good and also it’s for the sake of 2PM. Jaebeom already left the group and the company can’t afford to lose Nichkhun next.

    “Hey, what’s wrong with Nichkhun?” The assistant director who was standing next to me asked. I snapped out of my own thoughts.

    “What?”

    “Nichkhun, he looks nervous today.” The assistant director pointed out. I turned to look at Nichkhun.

    He was laughing with the rest of the guests but his expression seemed off. Even the way he was sitting was different. His body was completely turned towards Chansung’s direction. Why was he sitting in such an awkward position? I turned to look at who was sitting next to him. He was probably uncomfortable with the person next to him. My eyes widened when I saw Victoria of F(x) sitting there. Why would Nichkhun be uncomfortable with her? I was suddenly curious and kept my eyes on the two.

   Throughout the recording and during breaks, not once had Nichkhun spoken to her. It was weird since Nichkhun usually would make a conversation with whoever sitting next to him or even near him when he’s doing shows like this. But he was just sitting there, his eyes looking around the studio as the rest of the guests chatted with one another.

    The studio was now busy preparing for the next performance. I raised an eyebrow when I caught Nichkhun glancing at Victoria who was laughing with Luna. My brows furrowed together when Nichkhun quickly looked away and I could see his ears turning bright read.

    “Don’t tell me…” I murmured to myself. Was Nichkhun nervous because of Victoria? I shook my head, I’m just imagining it. It has to be something else.

    They continued on with the recording and then Victoria was called up to the stage. I watched Nichkhun as he looked a bit too interested now. Everyone gasped as Victoria  did a tumble and showed the audience her amazing flexibility. I saw Nichkhun’s eyes wide with awe as he gazed at her. When Victoria sat back in her seat, his eyes were still on her.

    They stopped recording again to set up for another performance and the guests started chatting. I was a bit stunned when I saw Nichkhun talking to Victoria for the first time. Victoria looked a bit surprised as well as her eyes grew. She smiled and shook her head. Nichkhun nodded and smiled before looking back away. But Victoria still kept looking at Nichkhun’s direction. I saw her bit her bottom lip and smiled to herself. I was astonished when I saw her cheeks turning red.

    “This is really interesting.” I muttered to myself. Looking at a red-eared Nichkhun and a red-faced Victoria back and forth.

    The recording continued on and it was now for Nichkhun’s performance. He was playing the piano and sang ‘Nothing Better’. All the girls in the audience and in the star guests were mesmerized by him. But Victoria looked the most interesting to me. Her eyes were wide with awe and she was looking at Nichkhun shyly as he did his performance. She was still in awe when Nichkhun sat back next to her. For some reason there was this admiration in her eyes when she gazed at him. I couldn’t explain it. I also couldn’t explain Nichkhun’s behaviour either.

    “Wah, this is really interesting.” I chuckled to myself and continued watching those two. A plan suddenly popped inside my head. “Victoria from F(x)… Hmmm…” I kept my eyes on the flustered girl and nodded.

     I think I know how I can help Jin Young and Soo Man break Nichkhun and Tiffany up.

 

 

~~~

Okay, so I know that it might look like a story about Khunfany but it's only the first few chapters after this and then it's about how Nichkhun fell for Vic during WGM but couldn't do anything because he still has Tiffany. And then Nichkhun wanted to end it with Tiffany but Tiffany refused to let him go.

So some might think that Nichkhun is cheating on Tiffany with Vic but, I didn't want to spoil it but since everyone has misunderstood about my fic, Vic already knows about Khunfany after a few months of recording WGM but her boss forced her to stay when she wanted to quit. But Nichkhun doesn't know that Vic knows. Sometime later he will break up with Tiffany but Tiffany couldn't accept it but Nichkhun didn't care about her and kept falling hard for Vic. And then...

Okay, I think I'll stop there. I'm not going to spoil the rest of my story. Haha. But I'm really sorry if you guys don't like me putting Khunfany in this fic, just wait for a while and then it's Khuntoria all the way. It's just that I love dramas so I wanted my fic to be like one of those complicated Korean drama shows. 

Either way, I'll try my best not to dissapoint you guys.

P.S Note that from Chapter 9 until probably chapter 12 or 13 will be flashbacks.