Misunderstandings

15 Minutes After Midnight

Victoria’s POV

What is he doing here? Why is Nichkhun here?

    “Okay, that’s a wrap everybody.” The director yelled and the staff started packing away their equipment and the crowd started to disperse. Soon it was just me, standing in awe at the pool entrance, my jaw literally on the floor.

    My eyes were glued to Nichkhun as he climbed out of the pool. A staff handed him a towel and he quickly dried his tousled caramel brown hair. Maybe it was because I haven’t seen him in a long time but I was completely hypnotized by him. My eyes suddenly begin to get greedy as they scanned every inch of him.

    He was shirtless and his abs looked even more inhumane as they glistened under the sun. My eyes trailed up to his muscular arms and to his broad shoulders. He was a bit tan than I remembered. But he still looked captivating. My eyes finally landed on his face and…

    And I ran away. I couldn’t bear seeing his face again. Not after everything.

    I hurried up the elevators and went straight back into my room and enjoyed the comforting walls locking me from meeting him again.

 

 

I woke up and it was already 12 midnight. I stifled a yawn as I got out of bed, my right leg a bit numb from being still all night. I decided to go for a walk, to get some fresh air into my system.

    I changed out from my pyjamas into my sweat shorts and hoodie and went my way towards the elevator. The halls were dimly lit and it was a bit eerie. I was starting to get scared and thought maybe it was a bad idea to be roaming around this late. I was about to dash back into my room when the elevator’s doors suddenly slid open.

    My eyes grew wide and so did his. We both only stared at each other and a sense of déjà vu suddenly went through me. It reminded me of how we first met during the first episode of WGM. When everything was still alright, when things make sense, when I believed he might be special…

    “Ground floor please.” Was all I said as I stepped into the elevator. Nichkhun only nodded as he pressed the button for me.

    That was all in the past. Everything, all of it… it’s all in the past because…

    “I saw you earlier.” Nichkhun suddenly said in a low voice. “But you suddenly ran away.” He then chuckled, a short awkward kind of chuckle. I didn’t respond, I just nodded.

    That was all in the past. Everything, all of it… it’s all in the past because he’s not mine.

 

(FLASHBACK)

I was alone in my dorm, all my members were out even though it was still so early in the morning, barely dawn yet. I sat on the living room couch and read the first script of a movie I was offered. Soo Man asked me to revise it and tell him if I was interested in doing it or not.

    I read the big bold letters printed on the cover page, DAMSEL. It sounded interesting but to be honest I don’t think I want to take any more jobs. I’d just finished recording the last episode of my drama a few days ago and my whole being still feels like a beat up pulp. All I want to do right now is rest and sleep and die in the comforts of my PJ’s and fluffy bunny slippers. I threw the thick script on the coffee table in front of me and it landed with a thud.

    I the TV and flipped through random channels.

    “Boring, boring, variety show, variety show, documentary, cooking show, documentary, boring, news, variety show—” I flipped back the channel to the news and my eyes never left the screen as I mouthed the bold black letters headlining the morning’s news.

GIRLS GENERATION’S TIFFANY AND 2PM’S NICHKHUN GO PUBLIC WITH THEIR RELATIONSHIP OF FOUR MONTHS

 

    “They’re finally confessing it.” I mumbled blatantly. It has been over six months since I last saw him… maybe he finally went back to the one who he was really destined to be with. And they both must be serious now that they are going public with their relationship.

    I took out my phone and dialled a number.

    “Hey Vic! Didn’t expect to hear you this early in the morning.” Sajangnim’s raspy voice greeted me on the other line.

    “It’s about the movie offer—”

    “Ah, about that, you can turn it down if you want. I think you deserve a break after finishing with your drama and all. You’ve been working too hard lately and—”

    “I’ll do it. I want to do it.” Sajangnim paused for a moment and then cleared his throat.

    “Really? You’re serious? Wow Vic, you’re really hardworking you know that?” He chuckled his throaty laugh. “Okay, I’ll call the director and we’ll discuss the details later at the office.”

    “Okay, Sajangnim. I’ll see you later then. Bye.” I then hung up without waiting for him to reply.

    I took back the thick script from the coffee table and started reading it, my tears staining every page.

 

(END OF FLASHBACK)

 

    Now a few months has passed since then and I heard they were still going strong despite of the anti-fans, the criticisms, the hardships those two faced just because they were dating…

    “What are you doing out so late at night?” Nichkhun’s voice broke my chain of thought. A small smile suddenly crept on my face as I looked down at my hands—they were trembling.

    “Couldn’t sleep.” I answered short.

    “Yeah, me too.” He said. “I think I sprained a muscle during the photo-shoot earlier, my shoulders feel stiff.” He then started massaging the back of his neck as he stretched out his arms.

    The elevator door finally reached the ground floor and I quickly got out without glancing back at Nichkhun. The lobby was empty, only a few staffs still up by the clerk desk. They bowed at me as I made my way towards the pool.

    Without really thinking much, I just threw my flip-flops off, sat at the edge of the beautifully lit pool and dunk my left leg in the cool water. I rested my chin on my right knee as I hugged it tight. The light blue colour of the pool was calming as the night breeze blew.

    “What happened to your foot?” Nichkhun suddenly popped out of nowhere as he took a seat next to me, groaning a bit as he dipped both his legs in the cold water. I stared at my still bandaged foot.

    “I sprained my ankle.”

    “Does it hurt?”

    “Not so much.”

    “You’re shooting a movie right? I heard it from my members.”

    “Yeah.”

    “I heard it’s an action movie.” He then laughed. “I can’t imagine you being the badass type like the reporters are saying. It must be hard filming an action movie—” I sighed, with frustration and he stopped talking. I let out a soft sigh.

    “I’m sorry but do you mind leaving me alone for a bit? I’m not in a chatty mood right now.” I said and continued staring at my reflection in the waters.

    “Sorry. Rough day?” I glared at him and held up both his hands in surrender. “Okay, okay, I’ll shut up now.”

    “Thanks.” I muttered and then sighed. I continued staring at the glistening waters, my heartbeat beating a slow and calm pace. It sounded like glass breaking when Nichkhun suddenly started humming, ruining my peace of mind. Why is he still here for goodness sake? Why is he even in front of me right now? I don’t want to see him and he doesn’t need to see me. I wish we’d never met. I wish I’d never said yes to that stupid show.

    “What?” Nichkhun’s voice suddenly startled me. “Never said yes to that stupid show?” Wait how did he… I thought… Did I just say those words out loud? My eyes widened.

    “It’s nothing.” I quickly shook my head and faked a laugh but he didn’t buy it.

    “What is it? Tell me.” He persisted and for the first time in my life I have never felt so annoyed and frustrated that it feels like I was trapped in some invisible box.

    “Nichkhun.” I said his name for the first time in months and my voice trembled a bit. “I wished I never met you.” I started and I could see the shock in his face as I looked at him straight in the eyes, my face composed. “I wished I never fell for you so I would never have to feel what I’m feeling right now.”

    “What are you trying to say?” Nichkhun said, his voice hard.

    “You know what I mean.” I muttered. I could feel the atmosphere intensify and I decided to head back to my room. I was about to stand up but Nichkhun pulled me back down.

    “No, I don’t know what you mean.” Nichkhun suddenly groaned. “Why can’t you just say it? Loud and clear?” My fingers clenched themselves in tiny fists as I yanked my arm away from Nichkhun’s grip.

    “I’m saying, I’m doing just fine without you playing me like a puppet!” I snapped as I stood over him, my eyes hard as they glared deep into his. “Do you finally understand what I’m trying to say?” My breathing was heavy as I poured out all my anger on him. And for no reason really. But—

    I was disconcerted when Nichkhun suddenly scoffed at me. He got up on his feet and was now towering over me, his eyes looked icy cold from up close.

    “No,” He almost breathed, and the iciness of his tone sent chills down my spine. “I don’t understand. And you can’t expect me to just get everything you’re feeling!” He shouted and I felt myself shrinking in fear. Nichkhun probably noticed that he might’ve went too far because he suddenly let out a soft sigh and pulled his eyes away from me. “Even before,” He started, his voice soft. “Whenever you were upset, you never talked to me about it. You just kept it to yourself and wait for me to figure out what bothers you. And when I don’t, you put all the blame on me. It’s really frustrating Victoria.” Nichkhun was looking at me now, his eyes in a twist of pain and sadness.

    “I love you.” I suddenly said and at this point I had no control of what my heart wanted to say. “It’s crazy but I do. And it’s killing me because every time I think I have you in my arms, you just slipped away and I can’t do anything.”

    Nichkhun suddenly scoffed. “In case you’ve forgotten, you rejected me that night I came to your apartment. You were pretty definite then. And now you want me back?” An image of the night Nichkhun came to my apartment, drunk, played in my mind. I remembered sending him back home and when Chansung asked me what happened, I decided to really let him go and told him I wanted Nichkhun to get lost.

    “I was lying, okay? I didn’t want you to keep hurting Tiffany because of me.”

    “I broke up with her that night—no, she broke up with me! I wanted to make things right with you and when Chansung told those hurtful words you asked him to pass on to me, I was devastated because I thought I’d lost you as well!” Nichkhun looked like he was on the verge of crying and I felt a bit dizzy. So, that night… he was no longer with Tiffany… I suddenly laughed. Everything was so twisted that it’s actually funny right now.

    “How could you even laugh at a time like this?” Nichkhun sounded annoyed and I laughed harder, my stomach hurting and my eyes stinging.

    “It doesn’t matter anyway. Everything doesn’t matter anymore.” I said between laughs. “You’ve clearly moved on from me.” I suddenly find it hard to breathe while I continued laughing hysterically. “Everyone is perfectly happy now.” My laughter then turned into sobs and my vision blurred.

    I felt my head landing on something soft and a hand was my head comfortingly.

    “You’re wrong, everyone is not happy.” I continued to cry harder as my hands clutched the fabric of his shirt tightly. “No one has been happy for a long time.” He murmured against the top of my head.

    I kept my eyes sealed tight as I inhaled his scent, sweet and musky just like how I remember it. I missed this, being in his arms, so much. But I knew this was just a short moment. Even though some misunderstandings were now cleared, it still doesn’t change anything. I knew it and so did Nichkhun.

    “Let it rain… let it rain, I know I got you by my side, then you came and changed my life, being the guardian angel of mine…” Nichkhun crooned as he continued my head. A small smile was on my lips as I listened to his sweet voice.

    “I love that song.” I murmured and I heard him chuckle.

    “I knew you would, it’s your song. I wrote it for you.”

    I nodded as I pulled myself closer into his embrace. I heard Nichkhun chuckled again and I felt him kissed the top of my head before continued singing his song for me.

    “Let it rain… let it rain… I know I got you by my side, like an angel, like my mother, like the bestest friend of mine...

 

~~~

Like OMG!!!! I know it’s been too long since I last updated. But I had just finished my exams and next week is my school holidays, yay! But to be honest, I had a hard time writing this chapter. With Khunfany being y’know, I couldn’t force myself to write what I had originally plan… It just feels fiction, not like this whole ff isn’t all just a part of my imagination. I just have no idea what to do with the plot anymore. At first I wanted to abandon this story but I didn’t want to disappoint my supporters. So I’ll try my best to come up with a better plot and make sure Khuntoria gets the ending they deserve. Fighting!~~~ Wish me luck!

Love you guys for still waiting for me to update and still supporting my weird-complicated little story!