I Hate You...

15 Minutes After Midnight

Victoria’s POV

I don’t trust in luck. To me, everything that happens is purely because of our efforts. But lately, my ring has become a lucky charm in my life. Ever since I got it, a lot of good things have happened. My popularity has risen and a lot of fans were supporting me and loving me. I felt truly honoured to become their idol. I’d also received a lot of job offers including a possibility of doing a drama.

    My path was colourful with good luck.

 

 

“What? Are you freaking serious?” I yelled with excitement and started jumping up and down, forgetting that Sajangnim was in front of me. But he laughed his throaty laugh and clapped his hands.

    “Congratulations, your first big hosting gig.” I squealed with excitement. Sajangnim just gave me the best news of my life; I was offered to become a host for MBC’s Music Festival. I can’t believe it; I can’t believe I was given such an opportunity.

    “Sajangnim, thank you, thank you!” I repeated as I bowed at him. Sajangnim patted my shoulders and smiled.

    “Okay, okay, calm down now.” He chuckled. “So you’re meeting with the directors and producers—”

    “Friday! I got it.” I gave him a thumbs up and bowed at him one last time before leaving his office.

    When I closed the door behind me, I threw my hands up in the air and squealed again. I stared at my ring and kissed it. It can’t get any better than this.

 

 

“You’re early, everyone’s not here yet.” A staff said as he showed me to a room with dark blue couches and a rectangular coffee table in the middle. I was now in MBC for a meeting about the Music Festival.

    “Guess I’m just excited.” I stated and giggled. The staff gestured for me to seat on one of the plush couches.

    “Just wait here until the rest arrive and congratulations by the way.” The staff said and I smiled at him. He then closed the door shut before he left.

    I let my eyes wander around as I waited and I realized that maybe I was too early. I glanced at the round clock hung on the white walls; 30 minutes have passed and the meeting doesn’t start for another hour or so. I lay my head back against the couch and played with my phone.

    Suddenly my phone rang and vibrated in my hands—it was manager Oppa.

    “Hello? Oppa?”

    “Vic!!!” I pulled the phone away from my ear as someone screamed my name.

    “Hello?” I asked again, the voice didn’t belong to Oppa.

    “Unnie, it’s us. The phone is on speaker.” Oh, it’s my members. But why are they calling me with manager Oppa’s phone?

    “What are you guys doing with Oppa’s phone?”

    “Unnie!!! You got the part!!!”

    “Congratulations Vic!!!”

    “Oh my god! This is so unbelievable!!!”

    I was lost as my members screamed confusing things at me.

    “Hello? What are you guys excited about? Did something happen?” My members started screaming simultaneously on the phone.

    “Give me the phone!” I heard manager Oppa’s voice yelled. “Hello? Vic?”

    “Ah, Oppa. What’s going on?”

    “Congratulations Vic.” Huh? “You got the part in the new drama ‘When Love Walked In’.” Huhhhh?!

    “Are you serious?” I was standing up now, my toes itching to jump with excitement.

    “Yeah I’m serious.” Oppa chuckled.

    “Unnie! Congrats!” I heard my members voice yelled. I cupped my mouth with disbelief and started screaming with excitement.

    “Oh my god!” I squealed and started jumping.

    “I’ll give you the script after your schedule okay?” Manager Oppa said.

    “Okay, thanks Oppa. Girls, I’ll see you tonight!” I yelled and said goodbye before hanging up. I hugged my phone to my chest and started jumping around. I kissed my ring again on my index finger.

    I can’t possible get any luckier than this.

    “The meeting won’t start for another half hour so just wait here.” The door opened and it was the staff from earlier. “Please come in.” He gestured to someone.

    “Thank you.” A familiar voice said as he walked past the staff and stopped by the doorway, his eyes meeting mine.

    My hands fell limply to my sides as I stared wide eyed at the man standing only a few feet away.

   “Please, seat down and make yourself comfortable.” The staff said breaking our stares as we looked at him. We both nodded and the staff smiled before closing the door shut. Then it was just us.

    Nichkhun cleared his throat and gestured for us to seat. I quickly nodded, still in dazed as I sat back on the couch. We sat on the same couch but we were on the far end side, leaving a gap in the middle. I looked away from him and just stared at the clock on the wall.

    One second, two seconds, three seconds… It felt like forever for the clock’s hands to move. The air was heavy with tension that my chest tightened a bit. Slowly I took a quick glanced at Nichkhun, he was facing the opposite direction of me as well, staring at the door.

    I scratched the back of my head, uncomfortable with the awkward silence.

    “So…” My head quickly snapped towards his direction and I was startled a bit by the sudden impulse.

    “Uh, yes?” I asked and he hesitated a bit.

    “This is your first time hosting right?” He asked. My heart raced a bit at the thought that he was trying to make conversation instead of just ignoring me. That’s why I can never hate him. He’s just too nice.

    I nodded. “Yeah, I’m excited.” I smiled and he nodded before taking out his phone and occupied himself with it.

    My smile faded as the conversation died. I sighed inaudibly and looked back up at him. His hair was longer but other than that he was just as handsome as before. I wondered why he was here but I figured he was probably hosting the show as well. But why did they ask the both of us to host together? Ah! Of course it’s because of our Khuntoria image. I sighed; I was trapped yet again by that name.

    The door suddenly swung opened, surprising me.

    “Ladies first.” It was Jo Kwon and Gain.

    “Don’t do that. It’s weird when you’re being a gentleman—Ah! Khun-ah!” Gain quickly left Jo Kwon and sat next to Nichkhun. “You’re here?”

    “Yah! Why are you being so rude?” Jo Kwon yelled and Gain shot him a glare. Jo Kwon sat in between me and Gain. “Ah, Annyeonghaseyo Noona.” Jo Kwon bowed in his seat and I bowed back at him.

    “Ah Victoria, you’re here?” Gain turned to look at me and smiled. “Annyeonghaseyo.” We both greeted each other.

    Not long after that, Jangwoo and Eunjung with Leetuk and Kang Sora arrived to the room. And then we all realized that this year Music Festival will be hosted by couples from WGM. Everyone started talking, catching up. All the couples were sitting next to each other except for me and Nichkhun. Each couple seemed delighted to see their partner and deep down, I envied them.

    “Hey, we should move.” Gain suddenly said as she patted Jo Kwon's knee.

    “Why?” Jo Kwon yelled with annoyance. I smiled to see them still close and comfortable with each other even after their marriage had ended.

    “Just listen to me would you?” Gain yelled back as she pulled Jo Kwon to stand up. “Victoria-ssi, you should seat next to Nichkhun.” Gain said to me in a soft tone.

    “Eh?”

    “Ah, sorry. I didn’t realize we were keeping you two apart. No wonder you both were so quiet.” Jo Kwon apologized as he gestured me to seat next to Nichkhun.

    I wanted to refuse him but everyone in the room was looking at me and it’ll be really awkward if I said no. So I slowly got up and Jo Kwon replaced me on my seat and Gain sat next to him, leaving a spot in between Nichkhun and Gain. I hesitated a bit and glanced up at Nichkhun nervously. He smiled and my heart jumped a bit as I took a seat next to him.

    We were sitting so close to each other that each move I make, resultantly will make our bodies touch each other. My heart was racing too fast that it hurts and it didn’t make much sense. I thought I was over him but seeing his face again made my stomach flipped.

    “Yah Khun Hyung, why are you ignoring your wife?” Jo Kwon suddenly said, surprising me. I looked at Nichkhun who was looking at me and then he just laughed nervously.

    “It’s fine. I told him I was not feeling well earlier so he didn’t want to bother me.” I explained, lying of course. I didn’t want anyone to think Nichkhun was ignoring me on purpose. Everyone might think he was being arrogant.

    “Oh really? Are you feeling any better?” Gain asked and I nodded.

    “It’s okay, don’t worry about me.” They both nodded and continued chatting. I looked back at Nichkhun and he was smiling apologetically at me. I just shook my head and smiled at him.

    Everyone kept conversing with one another and they didn’t bother me because apparently now I’m ‘not feeling so well’. It was really awkward with me just sitting here and Nichkhun was focused on his phone and the rest occupied with each other. I sighed, my luck has now expired. I knew it was too good to be true. Where there’s good luck, there’s always a bad one following along.

    I stood up and excused myself to the bathroom but all I wanted was to get out of there. I figured I should walk around for a bit while I wait for the directors and producers to come. I went to the bathroom and checked my reflection. I wanted to touch up my make-up but I left my bag on the couch. I sighed and started pacing around while I wait for time to pass me by. But I was too bored so I started walking randomly and found a vending machine.

   It was a good thing I had a few loose chains in my blazer’s pocket. I inserted a few coins into the machine and got myself a coke to cool myself down. I pulled the can cap open and took a sip. The coke felt cool in my throat, refreshing.

    “Running away?” I almost choked on my drink when a deep voice suddenly said behind me. I turned around and it was Nichkhun. I took another sip of my drink to calm down my jumping heart.

    “I’m not running away. I just got bored in there.” I stated and we started walking back towards the waiting room. We just walked silently and I kept sipping my drink to ease the tension.

    “Thanks.” I looked up at him. “For earlier.” Nichkhun explained. “Um… I know we’ve been awkward because…”

    “It’s fine.” I stopped him before he could say anything more. Then we were silent again.

    The mention of the past brought images of me and Nichkhun in my mind. I bit the side of the aluminium can to hold back the sobs. Here I was, walking side by side with Nichkhun and my heart was reacting badly to it.

    The silence was unbearable as a strange feeling grew and my heart continued to race. I was so occupied with my thoughts that I accidentally tripped on my own shoes. But luckily Nichkhun managed to grab hold around my waist before I could fall on my face. And the strange feeling grew even stronger and my heart raced even more.

    Our faces were close and I quickly pulled myself away. I said ‘thanks’ and we continued walking silently. I glanced up at him and he caught me and smiled. I quickly looked away, my heart threatened to explode.

    I know I said I can’t ever hate him but it’s really hard. How can he still make my heart go crazy after everything I’ve been through? I thought I’d moved on from him but clearly I wasn’t. And the more I see him, the more this strange feeling grew and I didn’t want to feel this anymore.

    “So how’s Tiffany?” My mouth suddenly blurted, an attempt to force myself to move on. Even though it hurts, it’s the best thing for this selfish heart of mine. Nichkhun was clearly caught off guard because he stopped walking.

    “You knew… about…” He trailed on. Oh, didn’t Tiffany tell him that I knew about them from the start? I guess he still doesn’t anything about that.

    “I heard about it recently…” I lied and started walking but Nichkhun gripped my arm. I looked back at him and he was wearing a pained expression.

    “About that…” He suddenly said, probably trying to explain things but I didn’t want to trouble him so I tried to act oblivious.

    “You guys just started dating right?” I asked as though I knew nothing.

    “Huh? Oh… hmm…”

    “You two look great together.” I smiled at him and started walking without him.

    I didn’t realize my hands were trembling as both of them were gripping my drink tightly. My chest felt heavy with sobs but I bit the inside of my cheek to hold my tears back.

    “It’s for your own good. It’s for your own good.” I chanted as I walked. When I reached the waiting room, I sat back on my seat and tried to act normal.

    “Victoria-ssi, are you okay?” Leetuk asked.

    “You look pale.” Eunjung agreed but I just shook my head at them. A few minutes later Nichkhun and the directors and producers came in. Nichkhun took his seat next to me and the tension between us grew even more uncomfortable than before.

    We discussed about the whole programme as we studied the drafts for our scripts. The directors explained about our segments and the producers wanted us to pitch in ideas for the script after reading the drafts. When the discussion ended, the producers wanted us to have another meeting next week for script rehearsals.

    After bidding my goodbyes and said thanks to everyone, I quickly left. I thought I didn’t have to go through any pain after what I’ve been through in WGM but I guess I was wrong. It was inevitable. Each time I see Nichkhun, pain is the only thing welcoming me. The thread I worked so hard on to stitch back my heart was undone and I never thought I would feel this,

But I really hate Nichkhun right now.

 

 

~~~

Hey! I updated again and I'm writing the next two chapters. I might update again later or tomorrow or maybe next week if I'm lazy. Hehe~ Either way, hope you enjoy.

comment&sub <3