Only A Mistake Apart

15 Minutes After Midnight

Nichkhun’s POV

I sat on one of the colourful sofas after slow dancing with Tiffany and she plopped right next to me, two glasses of drinks in her hands. She passed one to me with a smile and I took it.

    “It’s been a while since we went out on a date right?” She suddenly said as she took a sip of her drink.

    “I wouldn’t call this a date.” I said, sipping my own drink and she pouted her lips in irritation.

    “Well we rarely go out together, so this is a date.” She suddenly looped her hand through my arm and clutched on it tight. “So you have to stay next to me all night, kay?” She smiled again and I only nodded.

    The music had changed into something more upbeat and I couldn’t help bobbed my head to the infectious rhythm. A few of Tiffany’s members came towards us and started chatting with Tiffany, she still held my arm tight. I drank the last drop of my drink and set my gaze towards the dancing crowd.

    “By the way, did you see Eunhyuk Oppa and Victoria Unnie on the dance floor.” I turned my head towards Taeyeon the moment she mentioned Victoria’s name.

    “What?” Tiffany asked and I could feel her body went slightly rigid.

    Taeyeon pointed towards the dancing crowd and I spotted Victoria, twirling around with Eunhyuk, laughing. And then Donghae jokingly shoved Eunhyuk away, stealing Victoria from him. They started joking around as they danced. Suddenly the music changed into a familiar song, one of Super Junior’s songs and Victoria started dancing the moves, the rest of Super Junior’s members joining along. Everyone was clapping as they all danced coordinately with one another. Victoria looked like a different person, happier.

    “Hey, common.” I looked at Tiffany as she pulled me up from the couch and started towing me out of the room towards the grand foyer.

    “Where are we going?” I asked, puzzled. She giggled as she towed me up the grand staircase.

    “Having some us time.” She giggled again.

 

Kyuhyun’s POV

Something’s off, I thought as I watched Victoria hitting the dance floor all of a sudden.

    “What are you staring at?” Eunhyuk suddenly nudged me but I quickly shook my head, my eyes still on Victoria as she danced with random people which was really unusual for her. She never danced with people she doesn’t know, no, she never danced at parties, at all. She usually just eat and chatted around with people.

    “I didn’t know Victoria likes to party.” Eunhyuk said as he watched Victoria danced and laughing as she does it.

    “She doesn’t.” I said and Victoria’s eyes landed on mine. She waved and yelled for us to join in. I shook my head at her. Doesn’t she know that I don’t like to dance? Eunhyuk on the other hand, being a party animal that he is, quickly joined Victoria on the dance floor. Things got worse when she started dancing to one of my group’s songs and became the centre of attention. She was clearly making a fool out of herself.

    Without thinking straight, I marched towards her and pulled her away from the crowd. I felt her squirming away from my grip behind me but I ignored it as I towed her towards the grand foyer.

    “What are you doing?” She yelled and stumbled a bit when I let go of her wrist. “Ow, my head.” She took a seat on the steps of the staircase and massaged her temples. I crossed my arms together and raised my eyebrow at her.

    “Are you by any chance… drunk?” I asked. I felt like a father who found out his daughter was drinking. Victoria let out a laugh.

    “I’m not drunk. I’m just having some fun.”

    “Since when is dancing around like an idiot is fun?”

    “Dancing around like an idiot?” She repeated with irritation and  rolled her eyes. Quickly, she got up on her feet and stalked up the stairs towards the second floor.

    “Where are you going?” I yelled at her but she ignored me.

    What is going on with her? My mind yelled with frustration as I ran after her.

 

Victoria’s POV

I stalked off randomly down the hall, fastening my pace to get away from Kyuhyun. Who does he think he is? Lecturing me like that. Even though I call him Oppa, I’m older than him so he has no right to treat me that way. Is it so wrong if I want to be a little wild and have fun for one night?

    My hands were clenched tight into tiny balls of fist as I continued walking off my anger. I stopped in front a tall glass door that led towards a vast balcony. I turned the handle and took a deep breath of the cool night air.

    I took slow steps towards the edge of the balcony, the breeze soft and comforting. I placed both hands on top of the cool marbled railings which looked utterly romantic with its French carvings and feast my eyes on the velvety night sky blanketed above me.

    “There’re no stars tonight.” I murmured to myself as I continued gazing into nothing. And then a giggle escaped my lips as I thought back of a memory.

    There were always no stars in sight whenever I’m with Nichkhun and I always thought that it’s because Nichkhun was such a big and bright star that all the other stars just faded into the sky. And I always thought it was nice just to have him than all the stars in the sky.

    That was stupid.

    But now he’s gone yet the sky is still dark and empty. I sighed and leaned my back against the rails, the cool wind no longer comforting. I looked to my right and there was another vast balcony next to this one. And then I knew why the stars aren’t out tonight.

    There was Nichkhun, with Tiffany, both leaning against each other, their faces close and…

    And then everything turned dark as I felt my body being spun around and I landed my head on something warm and soft.

    “Are you okay?” A familiar voice murmured. I nodded and realized my head was on his chest. I looked up and Kyuhyun was giving me his usual playful smirk. I never noticed but his eyes are really pretty.

    “I’m fine.” I said as my hands moved from his shoulders to around his neck. I felt his body stiffen but his eyes were still soft as I stared deep in them. I slowly stood on my toes, drawing our faces close and his expression was still indifferent. As I leaned even more closely, our lips only an inch apart, he sighed.

    “You are drunk.” I was startled for a moment but still kept our stance close.

    “No, I’m not.” I whispered as my lips were almost brushing against his. Just another step closer and our lips will meet for the first time.

    “You’ll regret this.” I froze as he said those words and his eyes had shifted into a sudden form of sadness. I quickly pulled back my hands from his neck and took a few steps back, my eyes glued to my strappy stilettos.

    I felt awful. I felt disgusted. I felt like crying. Did I seriously just almost use one of my best friends as a rebound guy? I felt like throwing up.

    “I should go.” I was too embarrassed to look at Kyuhyun as I said those words and quickly ran off.

 

Nichkhun’s POV

“Are you sure it’s okay to be up here?” I asked Tiffany as she pulled me down a hallway of the mansion’s second floor.

    “Where is your sense of adventure?” Tiffany turned to raise an eyebrow playfully at me. “Look at this place. It’s fabulous!” She said the last word in a British accent and giggled. I do admit that this mansion was beyond elegant and romantic. Like something Romeo and Juliet would’ve gone to for a secret rendezvous.

    Then we both reached a vast balcony that was brilliantly illuminated by the moonlight. Tiffany finally let go of my hand and half-ran towards the marbled railings. She stretched out both her arms as the light breeze blew her hair back. She looked like an excited five-year-old.

    I walked towards the railings and stood next to her, leaning my back against the marbled rails. Tiffany propped up both her elbows on the rails and rested her chin on her hands, her eyes mesmerized by the night sky.

    “I wanted to see the stars but there’s not any.” I winced at her words. The same words suddenly repeated itself in my mind but they were uttered by a different voice. A voice I was familiar with. A voice I was comfortable with. A voice I longed to hear. “Hey, are you listening?” Tiffany’s voice snapped me out of my thoughts.

    “Huh? What?” Tiffany let out an exasperated sigh but then smiled playfully as she wrapped her hands around my waist

    “I said, maybe the stars aren’t out tonight because you outshone them all.” She then leaned closer, her smile grew slyly. I tried to move back but I had my back leaned against the rails and if I tried to lean back even further then I might fall off the balcony. Reluctantly, I let her kissed me but I stayed still.

    I feel uncomfortable and wrong because it is wrong. I shouldn’t be here with her, giving her false hope that one day I might love her the way I used to years ago. I tried but no feelings emerged out when I’m with her. But Tiffany was still persistent. She said she’ll make me fall for her again. She begged me not to leave her. I guess it was guilt because I agreed to it. I sighed—complicated.

   Tiffany rested her head against my chest and held me tight.

    “Thank you,” She looked up at me and our eyes met. “For staying with me.” She nestled her head back against my chest. I took a deep breath and turned to my left. I felt my brows furrowing.

    There was another identical balcony next to this one and there was another couple standing there too. The woman’s back was facing me as the man held her tight. They seem oddly familiar. As I was about to look away, I saw a glimpse of the man’s face—it was Kyuhyun. What is he doing up here? And who’s the girl? Questions kept popping up in my mind and I tried to ignore it but to no avail. I was really curious about the girl he was with. Even though I’m only seeing the woman’s back, I can’t help that she was familiar to me.

    I kept my eyes on them even though I shouldn’t. The woman had s her hands around Kyuhyun’s neck and it looked like they were… kissing? Okay, now I’m intruding their privacy. I should probably look away now. And as I was about to, the woman suddenly turned, revealing her side-profile, and ran off.

    Mindlessly, I pulled myself away from Tiffany’s embrace and started running too.

 

Kyuhyun’s POV

“I should go.” Victoria suddenly said and rushed away, leaving me frozen on the balcony. I watched her disappear from my sight and turned to look at the second balcony. I saw a quick glimpse of someone running out the door as well. I looked at the edge of the balcony and saw Tiffany, watching Nichkhun silently as he ran off.

    I started walking out the tall glass doors, down the hallway and into the second balcony where Tiffany was leaning forward against the rails and staring at the starless sky.

    “You know that he’s after her, right?” I suddenly said as I leaned my back against the rails next to her. Tiffany didn’t seem startled to see me or about my question. She looked calm; she even managed to give me a small but sad smile.

    “I know.” She admitted softly, eyes still on the discontenting sky.

    “And you’re not after him?”

    “I’m too tired.” I wondered if she was mentally tired or that she was actually physically exhausted to run after Nichkhun.

    “You’re going to lose him if you don’t.”

    “I already did.” I turned my body to face Tiffany; she was still wearing the sad smile on her face.

    “You’re letting him go that easy.” It wasn’t a question, more like confirmation. Tiffany turned to look at me.

    “What about you?” She asked.

    “What about me?”

    “Aren’t you going to chase after Victoria?” I was startled but tried not to show it.

    “Why should I?” Tiffany suddenly snorted, rolling her eyes.

    “Common, it’s obvious that you’re in love with her.” I let out a heavy sigh.

    “But she’s in love with him.”

    “And he’s in love with her.” She agreed as she stared back at the sky.

    “If you knew that then why are you forcing yourself to hold on to him?” I asked and she sighed.

    “Because he chose me instead of Victoria. Even though he’s in love with her, he still stayed by my side.” Tiffany sounded so calm and she said the piercing truth. It was scary in a way.

    “You know he chose you because he’s sorry for you.” Tiffany sighed again.

    “I know and I didn’t care. I thought just having him by my side would make things go back to how it used to be.” A tear trickled down her cheek but she didn’t bother to wipe it away. “I guess I was wrong.”

    “So what are you going to do now?” I asked, my eyes staring at the uneven dark sky as well.

    With that, she finally burst into tears.

 

 

~~~

Hello! Sorry for the long update, but I had troubles rearranging the POVs and stuff. It was hard. My brain feels like bursting. But I’m not giving up. I decided to end this fic sooner than planned. I’m cutting out some chapters I planned to do. But don’t worry. It’s still a happy ending.

Thanks for supporting my story even though it’s a bit sad I love you guys!!!!

Please comment&sub! :)