Still Hurts

15 Minutes After Midnight

A few months later…

Victoria’s POV

My phone suddenly rang as I was about to leave the practice room. I wiped the beads of sweat on my forehead before answering.

    “Hello?” I asked.

    “Dongsaeng-ah!!!” I furrowed my eyebrows together. Dongsaeng-ah? There was only one person who ever called me that but… it can’t be…

    “Rain Oppa?” I asked hesitantly and a familiar deep laugh boomed on the other end of the line. “Oh Oppa! Is that really you?” I took a seat on one of the benches, a wide smile on my face.

    I’ve known Rain when I was first starting out in the entertainment business. He really helped me a lot back when I was a rookie. We were pretty close but then we were both busy and I haven’t contacted him in years.

    “The one and only.” He replied. “How’s my adorable doensang-ah doing?” I giggled at his childish behaviour. When I first met him, I never thought he was the playful type but as I got close to him, he was like the goofy big brother I always wanted.

    “I’m doing okay.” I said. “But Oppa, why are you calling me all of a sudden?” I asked a bit curious about the surprise call.

    “Eii~ Can’t an Oppa call and check up on his favourite dongsaeng?”

    “An Oppa wouldn’t suddenly call after almost 4 years not contacting his supposedly favourite dongsaeng.” I retorted and he chuckled.

    “Sorry, I meant to call. But I was busy, you know being Korea’s top star and all.” I rolled my eyes and scoffed. “I’m kidding, I’m kidding. I just thought you would be too busy to answer my call. Ah! Congrats on your comeback!”

    “Thanks Oppa. Oh, I forgot how was the military service?” I asked. I heard on the news that he just finished his time in the military a few weeks ago.

    “Great, I had fun actually. That’s the reason why I’m calling you.” He said. “My friends are throwing a welcome back party this weekend so I wanted to personally invite you.”

    “Oh, really?” I was getting excited now. A party? That sounds like fun. “I’ll be there!”

    “Great! It’s been a while since I last saw you and as your Oppa, you need to officially introduce me to your boyfriend.” Rain suddenly said and I burst into laughter.

    “Boyfriend? What boyfriend?”

    “Don’t tell me you’re still single after all these years?” I sighed. Rain has always been interested in my love-life back when we were close. He never believed that I wasn’t dating anyone back then and kept pestering about setting me up with some of his friends.

    “Okay, okay fine.” I just said, not wanting him to nag like he used to. Even after not seeing each other, he was still the same playful self.

    “Okay! So I’ll see you then.” I threw my phone in my bag and started walking towards the changing room to take a quick shower and head back towards my apartment. As I walked, I heard the sound of footsteps behind me.

    “Qiannie-ah~” I didn’t need to turn around to know who that was.

    “Kyuhyun Oppa.” I smiled at him.

    “Are you going to Rain’s party this weekend?”

    “Oh you’re invited too?” He nodded.

    “Want to go together?” I was a bit tired and wasn’t in the mood to talk so I just nodded. “Then I’ll pick you up at your dorm okay?” I just nodded, wanting to take a shower and go home quickly for a rest.

 

 

“Are you sure we’re in the right place?” I asked doubtfully as I looked out the window of Kyuhyun’s car. We’ve been driving on a vacant road surrounded by trees for a while now and even if Kyuhyun said we weren’t lost… I doubt that.

    “Can’t you just trust me?” Kyuhyun muttered as his eyes were focused on the road. I sighed and rolled my eyes at him. “Ah, we’re here!” Kyuhyun suddenly said.

    Up ahead, I could see a huge mansion beaming with lights on top of a hill. I felt my eyes widened as the mansion loomed closer into view.

    “Wow… This is amazing…” I breathed as Kyuhyun parked his car. I quickly got out from the car and my jaw slightly dropped.

    Rain Oppa had really gone all out for this party. The mansion was massive and was Victorian or maybe Georgian influenced. Either way, it looked like a home only a princess would live in or a castle you would imagine in fairy-tales. It was magical.

    “Let’s go milady.” Kyuhyun bowed at me as he held out his hand, like a prince would act in front of a princess. I giggled and curtsied, playing along as I slid my arm through his. “Whoa, this is pretty classy.” Kyuhyun commented as we walked up the driveway towards the entrance door. As we drew closer, we both could hear the faint sound of music booming.

    Someone opened the door for us and my jaw fell again when I went into the grand foyer. There was a huge staircase and a gorgeous crystal chandelier dangling above us. The marble floors were so shiny that I could clearly see my reflection in it. But oddly there was no one in sight.

    Suddenly the man who opened the door for us gestured towards a huge white door next to the foyer. Kyuhyun opened the French double doors and we both gasped. The inside of the mansion was altered into a nightclub, something beyond my expectation.

    “Now this is what I call a party.” Kyuhyun laughed as he led me in. The inside of the mansion was dark and coloured by disco lights and loud music was playing. I could spot a mini bar that wasn’t so mini, a long table with food and a variety of pastries was set on one side of the room and there were chairs and sofas pushed against the wall of each side of the room, leaving a space in the middle for dancing.

    “I told you we were late.” I whispered to Kyuhyun as I stared at the people already crowding the space, I could recognize some faces as everyone chattered and danced on the dance floor.

    “Wow, everyone’s here. Want to mingle?” Kyuhyun laughed as he towed me towards a group of guys sitting on the bright-coloured sofas. I smiled when I recognize them as Super Junior Oppas.

    “Hey, it’s the couple of the year!” Eunhyuk raised his glass at me and Kyuhyun and everyone followed with a laugh. I rolled my eyes at them as I took a sit next to Kyuhyun.

    “Why were you guys late?” Donghae asked as he took a sip of his drink. “Did you guys went for a short date before coming here?” He raised an eyebrow teasingly at us, everyone laughed again.

    “Haha, very funny.” I said sarcastically. “Kyuhyun Oppa here got lost on the way.”

    “I didn’t get lost. We’re here aren’t we?” Kyuhyun corrected and we both started arguing again.

    “Okay, okay. Stop with the arguing. You guys are acting like an old married couple.” Eunhyuk said and got up from the sofa. “Let’s dance.” The guys all stood up and headed towards the dance floor, I remained seated.

    “Vic, common.” Kyuhyun held out a hand towards me but I shook my head at him.

    “You go ahead. I’m going to get something to eat first. I’m starving.” Kyuhyun nodded and I made my way towards the long dessert table. Since everyone was busy on the dance floor, the dessert table was still filled with a variety of pastries. It’s best that I’d take some food first before the crowd gets tired and hungry and start swarming around the dessert table.

    I grabbed a fairly large plate and started taking all sorts of prettily decorated cakes and pastries. My stomach growled as my eyes gazed at all the food, and my eyes twinkled at a glazed cheese tart with the biggest piece of strawberry on top of it. I quickly grabbed it and put it on my plate.

    “Wow this looks good.” My eyes widened when Kyuhyun casually took the cheese tart with the huge strawberry and popped it in his mouth. “And it taste amazing too. You should try it Vic.” I stared at him with disbelief as he picked up another piece of pastry off my plate. I slapped his shoulder.

    “That’s mine! Get your own!” I yelled at him as I reached for the pastry back from his hand. But he quickly held it up his head, a grin on his face.

    “Okay, fine. Here, take it.” He said teasingly as he waved the pastry up his head. I stretched my arm as far as I could but his arm was too long. I wanted to jump for it, but I was wearing heels and it would be embarrassing if I slipped. So, I just shot him a glare and roughly grabbed the same pastry on the dessert table and placed it on my almost full plate.

    “Why are you bothering me? Go away.” I complained as I continued surveying the dessert table. Kyuhyun took another piece of the pastry off my plate.

    “It’s too crowded.” He said with his mouth full and popped in another piece of pastry.

    “Yah! That’s mine.” I yelled but he ignored me and popped in another piece.

    I rolled my eyes at him but couldn’t help but laugh when he started choking. I patted his back soothingly until he stopped coughing.

    “Serves you right. Don’t touch my plate ever again.” I warned, a satisfied smile on my face.

    “You’re being awfully greedy tonight.” He said.

    “So what if I’m greedy? It’s not like I’m hurting anyone by being so. Plus, it’s only for tonight.” I said but once again, Kyuhyun stole another of my pastries, completely ignoring me. “Yah!”

 

 

Nichkhun’s POV

“Hyung, awesome party.” I said as I approached Rain. He placed an arm on my shoulder with a smile and clinked our glasses together. We both looked at the crowded dance floor as we sipped our drinks.

    “I know right?” He agreed and took another sip. “Khun-ah, it’s been ages. How are things?” He suddenly asked. I could only pull out a half-hearted smile at him and just shrugged.

    “Nothing much. Same old, same old.”

    “Liar.” Rain said with a playful grin a he pointed towards Tiffany who was busy chatting with her members. “I’m very jealous.” He pouted his lips sulkily and I laughed. “But don’t tell my girlfriend I said that.” He whispered when Kim Taehee, Rain’s girlfriend came towards us.

    “How do you like the party?” She asked me and I smiled at her.

    “It’s my party, so it has to be awesome. Right Khun-ah?” Rain suddenly interrupted and Taehee rolled her eyes at him.

    “And who exactly planned this party?” Rain opened his mouth to say something but quickly closed it back, sheepish. Taehee laughed. “I’m glad you like it.” She said before she went to greet the other guests.

    “Isn’t she amazing?” Rain suddenly breathed out. I stifled back my laughter as I watch my hyung turning love-struck.

    “You two look good together.” I said. To be honest, I was a bit shocked when I heard they were dating, but after seeing those two together tonight. They both look happy and in love, so that’s enough.

    “Same goes to you. You and Tiffany look great together too.” He laughed but then his eyes got distracted by something else. I followed his gaze and choked.

    “She’s here too?” The words mindlessly breathed out of my mouth as I watched Victoria getting herself lost to the dessert table. She has a new haircut, the thought suddenly ran through my mind as my eyes endeavoured her.

    “Yeah, I invited her. Ah, I forgot you two know each other right? On that show… WGM right?” Rain suddenly asked but I was too overwhelmed by seeing Victoria after so long that I only responded with a stiff nod.

    I looked back at Victoria’s direction, she was in her own happy bubble as she engrossed herself with the pastries. It’s been months yet her behaviour still mesmerizes me. How long has it been? I started contemplating whether or not I should say hi to her.

    Suddenly my chest tightened when Kyuhyun came into view. He playfully stole Victoria’s food from her plate and the two started laughing and playing around.

    “Oh, will you look at that. So Vic and Kyu…” Rain suddenly said with a laugh. “Who knew, right?” I quickly look at him confusingly.

    “What do you mean?”

    “Those two are dating right?” My jaw dropped with shock as my eyebrows furrowed with confusion. “Victoria said she’ll be coming here with her boyfriend. I told her I wanted to meet the lucky man.” He elbowed me playfully before he walked towards their direction, leaving me with a twist of pain and shock in my chest.

    That’s right… She moved on… You told her too… My mind thought as I kept my eyes on Victoria and Kyuhyun, still laughing with each other. Pabo… I sighed.

    “Nichkhun! What are you doing?” I looked up at a smiling Tiffany. I smiled back at her.

    “Common, let’s dance.” I quickly said as I pulled her towards the dance floor.

    It’s been months… months! Yet Victoria could still make my heart go erratic. I thought this feeling would end now that we’re both with someone else… Am I wrong?

 

 

Victoria’s POV

“Dongsaeng-ah! You made it!” Rain suddenly yelled with his deep voice. I turned my attention away from Kyuhyun and smiled widely at him.

    “Oppa! It’s been too long.” I looked at his boyish face—he was still the same as the last time I saw him. “Oppa, this is a great party.”

    “You should thank me. How often do you get to go to a killer party like this… especially when you’re with your boyfriend.” He said the last part playfully as he wriggled an eyebrow towards Kyuhyun’s direction. I slapped his shoulder.

    “Oppa! What do you mean my boyfriend? He’s just a friend.” Rain laughed, not buying it.

    “Whatever~” He sang and laughed again. I opened my mouth to deny it but he quickly cut in. “Enjoy the party okay? Taehee’s calling me.” He grinned playfully at me. “Look at us, all mature and in a relationship.” He laughed. “I’ll talk to you later.” Rain then left, leaving me baffled. How on earth could he think of me and Kyuhyun in that way?

    I mean, he’s a great guy and I’ve always been comfortable with him. He’s my closest friend but to think of him in that way… My mind started imagining things about Kyuhyun. How would it be like if we were really dating? Would it be even better than just being friends?

    “I’m heading towards my members, want to join us?” Kyuhyun’s voice suddenly startled me, snapping me of my thoughts. I quickly shook my head at him.

    “Go ahead. I’m going to eat.” I said as I pointed towards my full plate.

    “Are you okay on your own? You know I can stay with you and—” I popped a piece of grape in his mouth to stop him from talking.

    “Just go. I’ll join you guys after I’m done eating.” Kyuhyun nodded as he swallowed and left. My eyes trailed after him, ridiculous thoughts popping up. I quickly shook my head and took a seat on a nearby sofa.

    I took one muffin off my plate and started nibbling, my eyes enjoying the enthusiastic atmosphere. My eyes scanned around the dancing crowd and I spotted Kyuhyun with s at the other end of the room, laughing. My eyes stayed on him, the ridiculous thoughts flooding my mind again.

    “What is this?” I mumbled to myself as I nibbled on my muffin, my eyes still on Kyuhyun. Why am I staring at him? It’s weird. I’ve known him for years but it feels like this was the first time I ever look at his face clearly, and actually noticing his features… his half-smile… his deep dark eyes… “What the!” I choked on my muffin when my mind starts rambling even more nonsense. I quickly shook my head and turned away, staring back at the people dancing on the dance floor.

    The upbeat music suddenly shifted into a slow melody—indicating for a break—and everyone stopped, exhausted and tired from all the dancing. The crowd flooded their way towards the buffet table and a satisfied smile was on my face as I stared at my own plate. It was a good thing I decided to eat first if not I would have had to wait in line to grab some food. I looked back at the buffet table and there was already a long line. Everyone was clearly hungry. I smiled again.

    The music was slow and peaceful but it didn’t fit the party-mood of the room. The colourful lights were still beaming around wildly, not following the music’s tempo. The song was more suited for a ball or prom or a romantic event. But it was still comforting since now everyone can converse easily without having to shout over the loud music.

    I continued nibbling on another muffin, my eyes just staring at the empty dance floor—well not entirely empty. There was two people slow-dancing and I sighed. How romantic. The couple continued dancing as though they didn’t care that people were watching because they were in their own world at that moment. From the way they held each other, I knew they must be really deep in love. I suddenly envy them.

    I took a big bite of my muffin, wishing it was me and my special someone dancing slowly on the dance floor. I haven’t been on a date for almost a year, not that it was really important since I’m pretty much satisfied with how successful my life is. But it gets pretty lonely sometimes when my members or friends talk about their crushes or boyfriends. I sighed. Maybe that’s why I had crazy thoughts about Kyuhyun. I was probably feeling lonely. Oh god, I hope I’m not going to be desperate and crazy over this. I sighed again and took another big bite of the muffin.

    I fixed my gaze back at the couple, just swaying in their place, their heads so close it looked like they were whispering to each other as though the music was still loud.

    I popped in the last piece of the muffin in my mouth and when my eyes turned back towards the dancing couple, I choked. I mean literally choking. A sudden wave of pain crashed in my chest and I hit it a few times and started coughing. A few people turned to look at me and asked if I was okay.

    “It’s okay, I’m fine. Thank you.” I smiled sheepishly at them.

    “Do you want something to drink?” A familiar woman asked me—probably an actress I think—but I shook my head at her.

    “Don’t worry I can get it myself.” She smiled and continued chatting with her friends. I placed my plate on a small table and started walking towards the mini-bar, to get myself a glass of water.

    A hand was still clutching my chest. It still hurts even though I wasn’t choking anymore. I hit it another few times but the pain wasn’t from the choking earlier. It was something else. Something much more deeper and more agonizing.

    I reached the mini bar and quickly grabbed a glass of Coke already placed on the counter—probably someone else’s drink but I was in a hurry to wash the pain away. It didn’t work though.

    “Can I have another glass?” I pushed my glass towards the bartender and he raised an eyebrow at me which was weird but complied anyway. I was breathing heavily now. The bartender passed me back my glass and I quickly gulped it down my throat. The Coke tasted funny as it washes down my throat but failed to wash away the still aching pain in my chest. I ordered another glass and by the time I drank my fifth, the pain was still there and was now added with a deep throbbing in my head.

    “You sure you want another glass?” The bartender asked when I held my glass out to him. What kind of crazy question is that? Is there a limit to drinking carbonated soda?

    “Yeaaaahhhh…” My voice suddenly slurred at the word. I was confused for a moment. The bartender filled up my cup with the black liquid, the Coke. I took a quick whiffed at it but it smelled nothing like Coke.

    “What’s this?” I asked and the bartender raised his eyebrow at me again and gave me a look like I had asked what number comes after one.

    “Snake Venom.” Now it was my turn to raise an eyebrow at him. Maybe it was bartender talk. He sighed and rolled his eyes, like he’s annoyed with me which he probably was. “It’s beer.” I nodded. I looked back at the dance floor and people were starting to dance again since the song has changed. I spotted the same couple holding hands as they walked towards the sofas at the other end of the room and I started coughing again. I placed my glass down on the counter. I’ve been drinking beer not Coke. I’m probably drunk now. No wonder I’m hallucinating. I started laughing because for a moment there, I thought I saw the couple as Nichkhun and Tiffany. I laughed again but slowly my laugh turned bitter.

    I sighed and drank the beer once again.

 

~~~

Hey! I know… It’s been ages since I’ve updated. But I got good news. My school holidays turned up early since the seniors are having their exams early this month so now I’m free!!! But I’ve been really sick with a fatal disease called LAZINESS. I just hope I can update weekly and finally write the happy ending for Vic-Omma and Khun-Appa.

Well then, fighting!

Please sub&comment <3