Reality & Make-believe

15 Minutes After Midnight

 

Nichkhun’s POV

After finishing my schedule, I took a quick glance at my wrist watch; 9.45 p.m. I quickly went towards the parking lot towards the car.

    “Hyung, what time is my flight tomorrow?” I asked Min Jae Hyung who was leaning against the hood of the car with two coffee cups in his hands. Min Jae Hyung handed me a cup and I thanked him while taking a quick sip.

    “Boarding starts at 11.15 a.m. You better not be late tomorrow.” Min Jae Hyung gave me an early warning before getting into the driver’s seat. I hopped in the back. “But I don’t understand why you wouldn’t let me go and get your things for you.” He said as he started the engine.

    I gave him a ‘you know why’ look. He sighed and nodded as he drove me to my next destination; Seodaemun-Gu, where my newlywed house in WGM is.

    “I could’ve easily packed your things at the house while you were busy with your schedule, but no, you wanted to do it yourself.” Min Jae Hyung sulked. I laughed.

    “I just want to see that house again for the last time.” I murmured as I look out the window.

    “Okay, fine. But please, don’t be late tomorrow. I’ll wait for you at the boarding gates, got that?” I gave Min Jae Hyung a thumbs up.

    I took out my phone and passed the time by browsing the internet; updating some tweets, checking out any new celebrity news and just randomly look things up. I found myself reading an entertainment blog. I saw a couple of articles about 2PM but it was just the usual contents, nothing new. I scrolled down the long list of articles, searching for something interesting to read and one caught my eye.

Khuntoria’s Summer Vacation in the Maldives

    I opened the link and there were pictures of me and her on our first day in the Maldives. A small smile spread on my lips.

    I missed it. It felt like it’s been years since that day. I missed playing in the sea. I missed the hot sun rays beaming on my skin. I missed how my footsteps left a trail on the white sand.

    I remembered it all but that’s not what I missed most. I closed my eyes as I relived the moments.

    I remembered hearing the cute bubbly laughter when we were splashing each other in the sea. I remembered how her hand feels warmer in mine than the beating sun. I remembered what we wrote on the white sand, promising we will last forever. I remembered everything about those moments, about her. It’s just too bad I have to forget them soon. We both are no longer related anymore and so we just have to move on.

    I bet she’s forgotten about me by now. I sighed, no I was sure of it. I sent her a text and she didn’t reply. Usually if I texted her she would immediately reply back, even though her text are always short and simple. But still, she never missed a reply.

    Maybe she hasn’t seen my text yet? Yeah cause I sent it at 3 in the morning. She probably didn’t notice. Those are the words I keep repeating in my head to comfort myself. I knew she didn’t reply because she has already forgotten about me. To her I’m probably just the guy she used to work with. I’m no longer a part of her life.

     For some reason, this bothers me. I didn’t like it.

    “Khun-ah… Khun-ah!!!”

    “Huh?” I dragged my eyes away from my phone towards Min Jae Hyung.

    “We’re here.” I looked out the window and there it was, the familiar house that feels more like home to me. “Are you sure you don’t want me to stay with you?” I shook my head, my eyes still glued on the two-storey house.

    “I’ll be fine.” I turned to look at him and smiled reassuringly. He sighed.

    “Okay, okay. But are you coming back to the dorm after packing your stuff?”

    “I think I’m going to hang out here for a while.” Even though it’s been two days since I last came here, I couldn’t seem to remember clearly how the house looked like. I just wanted to see it again.

    “Do you want me to call a cab tomorrow to pick you up? Maybe around 9 a.m.?” He asked and I nodded.

    After waving goodbye and watched Min Jae Hyung drove away, I just stood there for a moment, gazing at the familiar neighbourhood. I slowly walked towards the house and up the steps, I opened the front door with the spare key Min Jae Hyung had given me earlier. I heard a soft click after turning the key.

    My hand hesitated at the door handle for a moment. I suddenly felt nervous. But why? I shook my head and turned the handle. It was dark inside. I struggled finding the lights and switched them on when I found them.

    I was startled to see a large number of boxes scattered on the floor.

    “Is this all our stuff?” I mumbled to myself. I walked around and touched the sealed boxes, examining them. I didn’t think we would have this much stuff in here.

    I picked up a box that was smaller than the rest and placed it on the kitchen table. I ripped the cellophane tape off and opened the box. There were picture frames and mostly the couple gifts from fans in it. I picked up one of the picture frames. It was the wedding picture.

    The memories of the wedding day flooded my mind. I was really happy at that time, it felt like it was my real wedding instead of a fake one. I remembered how fast my heart was beating when Victoria walked down the aisle. All I could think at the moment was, she’s my wife. I chuckled. I was way into the moment then.

    I placed the picture frame back and went upstairs to start packing my stuff. The sooner I finish, the sooner I can continue breathing everything in and wander my mind around.

    I switched the lights in the bedroom and went straight towards the wardrobe room. I opened the first closet’s doors—it was empty. I was confused and then snapped my fingers. This was Victoria’s closet; she kept her stuff in here. I stared at the empty space; I wondered when she packed all her stuff.

    With a heavy sighed, I closed back the closet doors and opened the one next to it. I was astounded by the number of clothes in it and shook my head. Did I move my entire wardrobe in here? I let out a laugh while I shook my head. I pulled out the large suitcase and duffel bag at the bottom of the closet and placed it on top of the bed.

    “Okay, let’s get to work.” I clasped my hands together and started transferring all my clothes from the closet into my suitcase. I’ll be done in mere minutes.

 

 

“Why isn’t this working eh?” I scratched the back of my head as I stared at the now messy pile of clothes on the bed. I looked at my wristwatch; it was almost 3.30 in the morning and I still haven’t packed anything. I tried jamming the clothes into my suitcase but they would pop out and scatter all around. I was getting tired and more impatient. 

    I stretched my arms and stifled a yawn. It was cool inside the room since it was heavily raining outside; my eyes were starting to close.

    Swoosh…

    My eyes were wide awake now when something suddenly zoomed into the wardrobe room, I froze. I held my breath—praying that a head with long hair won’t suddenly pop out from the wardrobe room. After a few seconds with nothing but silence, my shoulders relaxed and I sighed. I’m imagining things. I’m just tired. I stifled another yawn.

    “Arrggghhhh!!!” I jumped and stumbled backwards at the scream. What the hell was that?!!

    I slowly walked towards the wardrobe room, my heart beating faster with each step. I took a quick peek from the doorway and saw a figure of a woman with long wet hair. I swallowed the scream back in my throat and almost cried with relief when the figure turned slightly around, revealing her angered profile. It was a face I already recognize by heart.

    “Victoria-ssi.” I stated with relief, but then I realized she was soaking wet. “What’s wrong? Are you okay?” When she turned around, fully revealing her face—my heart raced faster. My brows furrowed together as I looked at her beautiful face. It felt like this was the first time I ever saw her. Why was that? Why am I so mesmerized by her now?

    I stared at her as she took a step forward and suddenly pushed me back. I fell down on my as the door slammed close. “Wow.” Was all I could say as my heart raced even faster, threatening to explode in my chest. What’s wrong with my heart?

 

 

Victoria was fast asleep a few inches away from me. She had her back towards me so I couldn’t see her face clearly. After she helped me pack my clothes, she just fell asleep when I told her to, without any hesitation (I was surprised because I only said that to ). She looked awfully tired from the looks how dark the circles under her eyes were. She works too hard, I thought as I leaned towards her and tuck back a strand of hair behind her ear. I lay my head against my pillow and scooted back to my original post.

    I stared at the ceiling and smiled to myself. The last time I lay on this bed was on the last day of our marriage, I never thought I would be lying here again—especially with Victoria by my side. I sighed and closed my eyes, listening to the quick thudding of my heart.

    My heart kept beating unusually fast since she pushed me out of the wardrobe room and it nearly stopped when she came out of the bathroom with my clothes on and continued beating faster when I slipped the wedding ring on her finger. And it didn’t slow down after that. I felt like I would die from a heart attack at any minute if this goes on.

    This is confusing. Why do I feel like this? Should I be feeling like this? The last time I felt like this was during our married-life in WGM. There wasn’t a second my heart didn’t react like this when we spent our time together. But now it’s all over so… why?

    I sighed again. Ever since I joined the show, my mind has always been perplexed, confused. I figured I was too absorbed that I was lost between reality and make-believe, probably because everything seem and felt real. Sometimes I even slipped and thought she was my actual wife.

    A memory suddenly popped into my mind.

 

(FLASHBACK)

After finishing shooting for WGM, the staffs were taking a quick break before packing everything up in the living room. I was sitting on the stool by the kitchen table, my eyes glued to my laptop screen.

    “Thank you for the hard work everyone. Great job!” Victoria said in a bright voice as she walked down the stairs. She had her coat on and adjusted her handbag that slung over her shoulder. Everyone nodded at her and smiled.

    “You have a schedule?” I asked her, my eyes still glued to the screen.

    “Yeah… Nichkhun-ssi, what are you looking at so intently?” She rushed over and stood behind me. She placed her hands on my shoulders and leaned closer to take a good look at the laptop screen, our faces almost brushing against each other.

    “They’re emails from Cherleen.” I said looking at her and her eyes widened, a smile on her face. I chuckled. “She says she misses you and that everyone wants me to bring you back home again.” I let out a laugh. “Ever since my family met you, they kept on emailing me, saying I married well and that you’re really sweet and charming.” I heard her giggled and slightly turned to see her cheeks reddening.   

    “Ah, that’s so embarrassing.” She slapped my shoulder and hides her face against it.

    “Why?” I laughed and she hit me again. “Indeed, my wife.” I chuckled and continued reading the rest of my unread emails.

    “Shut up!” She squeezed my shoulders tightly and slowly released them as she giggled with embarrassment. “Okay, I’m going to be late. Don’t you have practice later?” She asked as she placed her head on my shoulder.

    “I’ll leave after I finished reading all my emails.”

    “Kay, I’ll see you later.” I nodded.

    “Okay, bye. Be careful and take care.” My eyes were still on the screen as my hand pulled Victoria’s head closer and kissed her on the cheek.

    “Okay.” She answered brightly and nodded, giving me a peck on the cheek as well before she pulled away. “Oh my god!”

    I quickly turned to look at her with surprise, she was staring at me and so was the rest of the staff in the living room. I looked at their shocked faces before turning to look at Victoria questioningly. What had happened?

    “Oh my god!” I mimicked her as I realized what we just did. We were acting as if we were a real couple.

    Oh my GOD!!! I screamed again in my head. How on earth did that happen? I just freaking kissed her?!!

 

 

    That was the first time I kissed her cheek and she as well. That incident happened when we were 8 months married to each other. I didn’t even realize what I did then, it just happened. Like I had been doing that all my life, a habit. It was weird and awkward at first but Victoria just laughed it off, saying we were already too comfortable with each other.

    After that we started to slip up and forget about reality more often and later we didn’t care anymore. It was natural and we were both comfortable with it. Even though my heart pounded hard against my rib cage every time she touches me but it still felt nice. I never could understand those feelings but all I know was that it felt right.

    The more I think about it, the more confused I get. Was it real? Was it not? Was I only acting? Was she only acting? I sighed quietly and buried my face in my palms.

    I froze when I felt the bed moving. I turned and saw Victoria tossing and turning. She suddenly squirmed closer towards me and landed her head on my arm. I waited for her to move again so I could pull away my arm but she only moved closer, her brows were knitted together.

    “She’s having a bad dream.” I figured. I pulled her closer and gently her shoulders. I felt a slight pain in me when I saw her tight expression. She kept on tossing and turning.

    She slowly let out a soft moan and I hushed her and her hair. Whispering at her to calm down. She murmbled something and I swore I even heard her say my name. I wondered what she was dreaming about. She must be in a lot of pressure and stress to be so tense like this. I looked at her tensed face and her cheeks. My fingers suddenly moved on their own. Tracing her cheeks to her brows to her eyes then down to her nose and lingered on her lips—soft and luscious.

    I leaned in closer, our lips almost brushing against each other. My heart thudded harder and my ears rang. Just a bit closer… but being the gentleman I am, I know I couldn’t take advantage of a girl like that. I fought and tried resisting the desire in my heart to taste her lips. The first time we kissed, it was just a lip to lip contact, nothing more. Even Victoria wasn’t satisfied and to be frank, it wasn’t enough for me either. Since then, I’ve been imagining what it would be like to actually kiss her in a more passionate way.

    But in the end I won over my desires and slowly started to pull my head away. I froze when Victoria suddenly squirmed again in my arms. Oh no, did she woke up? I was panicking, what if she realized that I was just about to kiss her? I didn’t know why but I felt like I was going to get slapped. I didn’t dare to move and hope she would still be asleep.

    She unexpectedly moved closer and leaned forward. Her lips suddenly landed on mine. My fast heartbeat stopped altogether. I couldn’t breathe and Victoria didn’t move after that. Images of her face ran through my mind and my heart started beating quickly again.

    I finally had the urge to kiss her back but I couldn’t. I was suddenly nervous and I could feel the heat crawling their way up to my ears. I finally gasped for air when Victoria moved her head and landed it on my chest.  

    I stared at the ceiling, breathing heavily. A chuckle escaped my lips. Our second kiss. I laughed softly when I realized that Victoria was also the one who kissed me first just like the first time we ever kissed. I slowly pull her head back on my arm and gazed at her face—she was relaxed now and she was… smiling? I laughed, she likes it.

   But I suddenly wondered how she would react if I told her she kissed me when she was asleep. Just like at the wedding photo shoot, she was completely mad that she had to kiss me first and I had a feeling it’ll be the same for the second one as well.

    I looked at her peaceful face and chuckled again. “I should’ve been the one who made the first move for our second kiss.” I laughed and held her tighter.

    I brushed back her bangs and planted a long kiss on her bare forehead. Just like the first time I kissed her at our wedding. “Mianhae.” I whispered softly and pressed my cheeks against the top of her head.

    I finally understood what I was feeling for her all this time. Who knew what my virtual wife had promised me on the first day we met had actually happened.

    “I will let you fall in love with me.”

    The words echoed in my head as I slowly dozed off with Victoria tight in my arms.

 

~~~

Hi everyone! So I made this chapter about Nichkhun. I'm sorry if it's a bit plain. I'm finding it hard to continue on writing this fanfic cause a friend of mine told me that she read a lot of fanfic that were way better than mine. I know she only said to motivate me but still... Okay, whatever. I'll work hard!