Between the Lines

15 Minutes After Midnight

Nichkhun’s POV

My eyes kept staring at Kyuhyun who was laughing with Se-yoon and Jong-shin as we walked towards the conference room for lunch. The sound of a phone ringing finally brought me back into focus. I turned to look at Harley.

    “I got some bad news guys.” Harley suddenly said after he answered his phone.

    “What’s the matter?” Jong-shin asked and Harley let out an exaggerated sigh.

    “It’s my annoying wife.” He groaned and then laughed. “She wants me home right now so I can’t join you guys for lunch.” Everyone nodded and shook hands with him as we bid him goodbye.

    When Harley finally left, a staff came towards us.

    “I’m going to go get your lunch, what do you guys want to eat?” He asked us, a pen and notebook in his hands.

    “What are we having?” Kook-jin asked. “The producers are not treating us to anything cheap, right?” He joked.

    “The producers wanted me to buy bento-box lunches for everyone.” The staff said. Eh? Bento-boxes? “The expensive kind of course.” The staff added before everyone could start protesting.

    “Alright, sounds good.” Se-yoon nodded. “What kind of bento-box do they have?” The staff took out a small handkerchief-sized menu from his back pocket.

    “They have… mixed seafood, grilled meat, marinated chicken, stir-fried vegetables, samgyeopsal—”

    “Samgyeopsal!” I was surprised when both me and Victoria said that in unison. I turned around to look at her and we both smiled.

    “As expected from the ‘Samgyeopsal Couple’” Kook-jin joked and the rest laughed. I only looked at them sheepishly. “Then I’ll have the… mixed seafood.” He said to the staff.

    “Me too. I’ve been craving for fish all morning.” Jong-shin said.

    “Grilled meat for me, extra large.” Se-yoon emphasized making everyone laughed.

    “I’ll have the marinated chicken then.” Kyuhyun finally said and the staff excused himself.

    We continued to walk and finally reached the conference room. The room was small and a huge oval table dominated the entire space. Kook-jin, Se-yoon and Jong-shin went in first and sat on one side of the table. Kyuhyun kept the door open for Victoria and gestured her to go in first. She giggled and took a seat on the other side of the table; I rolled my eyes at them. I waited by the doorway for Kyuhyun to go seat next to Victoria but he gestured for me to go in first.

   “No it’s okay, go in first.” He said as he smiled at me, his eyes mocking. I didn’t want to start fighting with him so I just went in and sat on the chair next to Victoria. Kyuhyun then took a seat next to me.

    Everyone was chatting as they waited for their lunch to arrive but I kept quiet since I was attending to my own growing annoyance. Kyuhyun and Victoria were chatting animatedly with each other causing me to lean back in my seat so they can converse more comfortably. I mean what the hell? They were acting as though I wasn’t here, awkwardly seating in the middle of their happy bubble. If they wanted to talk to one another then they should’ve sat next to each other instead. My back was starting to get stiff.

    “Do you guys want to change seats with me?” I asked, popping their bubble. Victoria let out a small gasp as she leaned back in her seat.

    “Oh, I didn’t realize we were getting in your way. I’m sorry.” She apologized but I shook my head at her as I slowly stretched out my hands.

    “Sorry about that.” Kyuhyun said but I doubt he was. He looked at me with that mocking smile again and my lips made a thin line for him.

    I crossed my arms together and just stared blankly at the smooth surface of the table. I wanted to leave but was afraid what everyone else would think it was weird if I just suddenly got up and walked away. I sighed mentally. I was suddenly feeling hungry. There was a loud knock on the door but I didn’t bother to look up. I started wondering when the food will arrive so I can eat and leave already.

    “Vic, here’s your coffee.” The voice was familiar then I recognized it as Victoria’s manager. I scooted my seat closer to the table to make space for him to squeeze behind me towards Victoria.

    “Thanks Oppa.” She said as her manager placed a coffee cup on the table and left.

    She opened the lid and the strong smell quickly aroused my nostrils. The warm velvety smell made my stomach growled and my throat dry as I watched her take a sip of the Mocha Frappuccino. She smiled as she her lips and took another sip. I swallowed back the craving and took out my phone from my pocket.

    I wanted to text Min Jae Hyung and asked him to get me a nice warm cup of Mocha Frappuccino as well but I suddenly remembered that I drove to the studio myself and Min Jae Hyung is with Taecyon right now. I sighed and tried to block out the smell from my mind. I didn’t know why but my body suddenly crave for a taste so bad.

    I opened my eyes when I heard a soft giggle. Victoria was looking at me, a shy smile on her face that made my heart jumped. She placed the coffee cup down on the table and pushed it towards me as though she knew I wanted to have some. My eyes widened at her and she giggled again as she nodded.

    It felt like I was being pulled back into the past as I slowly took a sip of her Mocha Frappuccino, my eyes still on her. The sense of familiarity ran through my body as I recalled back the countless times we shared a drink together, resultantly having indirect kisses.

    “Feel better?” She asked as I handed her back the coffee cup.

    “Huh?” I asked and she giggled again.

    “Your cold.” She said and I slowly nodded. She handed me back the cup. “You should drink some more, warm yourself up.” I could only nod as I took another sip.

    She was taking care of me again… but why?

    I kept looking at her and finally pulled away when the staff delivered our lunch. He passed out these gigantic red boxes to everyone and I realized they were our lunch.

    “Whoa, the box is huge!” Se-yoon cried enthusiastically and gasped when he opened the lid of his bento-box, and oh my god, the food’s proportion was just as large. The staff passed another three boxes to me, Kyuhyun and Victoria. I opened my bento-box and was greeted by the smell of massive pieces of samgyeopsal and a variety of side dishes.

    “But Victoria-ssi, there was a bit of a mix-up with the orders.” The staff suddenly said. “They gave me only one samgyeopsal bento-box and one stir-fried vegetables instead. Should I order another for you?”

    “Really? Oh…” I looked at Victoria. She bit her bottom lip as she looked at her box. She then looked back at the staff with a smile. “It’s okay. This looks good too.” Was what she said but I could tell she was a tad disappointed.

    “Are you sure? I mean I can order a new one—” Victoria raised a hand up at the staff and shook her head at him. “Okay, then enjoy your lunch everybody.” The staff said before he left.

    I glanced at Victoria again and she was just staring at her lunch, her bottom lip slightly jutting out. Victoria loves to eat, she can eat anything but she is also stubborn when it comes to food. Once she’s determine on what she wants to eat, then she won’t change her mind until she gets what she wants. A small smile played on the corners of my mouth when Victoria lazily poked the vegetables with her chopsticks.

    I let out a small sigh and switched her lunch with mine without a word. Her jaw literally dropped as she stared wide-eyed at me. I took a bite of her bento-box and the vegetables were surprisingly good. I took another few bites.

    Victoria was still staring at me when I glanced back at her. kept moving as though she was trying to speak but no sounds came out so she just furrowed her eyebrows together. I pointed at her lunch with my chopsticks and gestured for her to eat. Her brows relaxed and an apologetic smile was on her face.

    I continued eating but I could tell Victoria was still staring at me. Her stares were burning deep on the side of my face, making my ears heat up.

    “Here,” I looked back at Victoria and was surprised when she held out a piece of samgyeopsal with her chopsticks at me. I looked at her, then at the samgyeopsal, then at her again. She gave me a wide smile as she held her chopsticks up to me. She was wearing the expression she wore the first time she ever fed me, a shy but encouraging smile. I slowly took a bite of the samgyeopsal and kept my eyes on her as I chewed. She smiled again and started eating.

    “It’s good!” She squealed and started dancing excitedly. “Isn’t it?” She asked me. I slowly nodded and quickly looked back at my own lunch; my ears heating, my palms sweaty and my heart racing.

    “You should try this too.” I muttered nervously as I held up the vegetables to her. She looked at me with surprise, but only for second as she happily took a bite from me.

    “Mm, it’s good!” She exclaimed again and giggled. I let out a chuckle and continued eating.

    She fed me one of her side-dishes and I happily took it, no longer shy with the gesture. It somehow felt normal now, like it wasn’t strange that after for so long we were still feeding one another. It felt right.

    “I never thought I used to hate vegetables when I was a kid. This taste great.” I said as I fed Victoria again and she nodded.

    “I know, this is absolutely delicious.” She agreed as she chewed. She then placed another piece of samgyeopsal on my bento-box.

    “It’s okay. You should it eat.” I said as I picked the samgyeopsal up and popped it back in .

    “No, this is too much, even for me. I’m going to gain a few pounds.” She grumbled as she popped another piece of samgyeopsal in my mouth. I shrugged as I chewed.

    “I don’t see what’s wrong. You already looked like you gain some weight since I last saw you. A few extra pounds won’t make much difference.” Victoria glared at me and slapped my shoulder. I let out a laugh and fed her again but she harrumphed and turned away from me. “I’m kidding, I’m kidding.” I apologized and laughed again.

    Victoria started attacking my mouth as she continuously kept feeding me and I was glad the food’s proportion was extremely massive. At least this moment would stay a little bit longer.

 

Kyuhyun’s POV

I’m really pissed off right now. I know the ‘why’ part, but I was still arguing on the ‘whom at’ now.

    I ate my lunch silently as Victoria and Nichkhun started stuffing food in each other’s mouth and just enjoy this bizarre moment they were having. I sighed and moved to seat on the other side of the table, on an empty chair next to Jong-shin. I sat down grumpily and started viciously stabbing my chicken with my chopsticks.

    “Are they… are they actually dating?” I heard Se-yoon asked quietly.

    “I supposed so…” Kook-jin said. “But how can they be dating when they haven’t seen in other for months? They’re probably just friends.

    “It’s obvious they’re dating. Friends don’t feed each other like that.” Jong-shin pointed out and elbowed me. “Yah Kyuhyun-ah, are they actually ‘together’?”

    I looked at everyone and they were waiting for my answer. I just shrugged and continued murdering my already dead black pepper glazed chicken. I looked at Victoria and Nichkhun as I listened to Se-yoon’s, Kook-jin’s and Jong-shin’s conversation about them.

    I couldn’t understand Victoria right now. How can she still treat Nichkhun as a friend after everything, I mean everything that he did to her. How can she just accept that and act like nothing ever happened? Even just thinking about it makes my blood boil.

    And Nichkhun, I mean, I, it’s… I have no words for what he did. Was it wrong? Yes. Did he make the right choices? Yes. But did he still hurt Victoria in the end? Yes. So in conclusion, he’s an ? Yes—well, to me and only because of the situation. But doesn’t he feel a bit, I don’t know embarrassed? How can he act so casual around her?

    I shook my head. I just can’t process what I’m seeing right now. Those two are acting like they’re a couple and it’s wrong. They should hate each other or at least act like strangers, not acting like an old married couple. Do they even realize what they’re doing right now?

    I sighed. As much as I hate this situation, I still can’t help feeling sorry for the both of them. I know they still have feelings for each other. Anyone can tell by how they look at one another. And it’s obvious how hard they’re trying to make things okay between them or at least something like that. But they are still lost, confused maybe and they’re trying to find answers, solutions on how to make things right for each other, for themselves.

    I sighed again as I watched them, talking about what they did the past 6 months, laughing, making jokes that only the two of them would understand…

    Victoria can try to be ‘just friends’ and I know Nichkhun would try too, but I know they can never be ‘just friends’. There was still something they couldn’t let go. They’re both still holding on to the past. The good part of it. The part with only ‘them’ in it. And that’s what pains me. To see them foolishly holding on. I wish to cut the rope connecting the two. To break this strong bond they’d created.

    I sighed again. I feel complicated just looking at Nichkhun and Victoria. If only they met differently and with the right timing, maybe things wouldn’t be so twisted in their relationship. They could’ve been friends, the best or maybe they could’ve become couple and fall in love the right way. But right now they’re between the two lines. More than friends yet never reaching beyond that.

    And that’s the worse place anyone could be in right now.

 

 

~~~

Haha, I updated again, a week exactly, well sort of. Okay so writing is hard… but since I love to write I can overcome it. Right now I have another idea for a ff in my head but I think I already have too much on my plate right now. But my mind is going crazy with this idea. *sighs

Okay, now I’m moving on to the next chapter. And I’m really excited writing the chapter after the next chapter. I’ve been waiting to write that part since day 1 now. Well, fighting!

Please comment&sub~

P.S. I’m thinking of editing this chapter a bit, but maybe later or maybe even just let it be. We’ll see >.<