Reply Twenty-Seven

Reply, First Love

 

 

 

 

Reply Twenty-Seven

 

 

 

I couldn't remember how I had ended up here. I couldn't tell you the reason as to why the things were as it was now. I really didn't know. Just a few days ago, I had visited my aunt with Howon who had accompanied me. And woah, my aunt had really liked Busan guy. It had been a bit awkward for me to stay next to them while they had talked like they'd known each other since forever. OK, I was exaggerating, but you get the gist. 

 

The funny thing was, Sungyeol - that giraffe - worked at Eunji's family store, and ever since her parents had forced her to help out, she had ended up becoming friends with him. Although she had told me that he could be really annoying which I could only agree to. But important was, Myungsoo had hung out around the shop a lot which had resulted in Eunji being friends with him as well. Now what was so strange about it? Maybe the fact that I was sitting in Eunji's room with Sungyeol and Myungsoo just downstairs. I'd like to believe that this was just a dream, but Eunji had already pinched me hard. This definitely wasn't a dream. 

 

"What the hell is happening right now?" I asked, confused. 

 

"I seriously don't know. I didn't invite them."

 

"Then, why are they here?"

 

"Mom probably called Sungyeol over. Myungsoo is only tagging along."

 

I rubbed my temples, frustration seeping in. Ever since the text messages a few days ago - where Howon had suddenly turned up at my door - Myungsoo and I had stopped talking aka texting. OK, maybe it was just me having forgotten to reply. But those days had been really difficult for me. I'd had to focus on Busan guy. Even now, I was still scared to leave his side. 

 

"Are you still on bad terms with Myungsoo?" Eunji asked carefully. "If you ask me, he seems to be a considerate guy. I don't think he ever wanted to forget that text message."

 

"I know. It's just...I've accidentitally forgotten to reply." I sighed. "Karma is a ."

 

We went downstairs, or rather I was dragged by Eunji with her scolding me to face my fears and problems. Sungyeol was happily talking to Eunji's mother, a cup of coffee in his hands. Myungsoo was sitting on the couch, leaning back casually. When we were in sight for the boys, Myungsoo immediately caught my eyes. I thought he was going to give me the cold shoulder or one of his intense glares, but I was greeted by his eye smile, surprisingly. His eyes forming crescent moons while radiating warmth. I was at a loss. 

 

They approached us suddenly with Sungyeol asking us whether we were ready. I didn't have the time to ask him what he meant with that because Myungsoo already stood in front of me, his eyes locking mine. The following words came out stuttered. "OK, before you get angry with me, I'm sorry. I-I had things in mind. I-I was busy and Iㅡ"

 

"Hana, it's OK. No need to apologize." He smiled genuinely. "I thought so. And it's not like you are forced to reply to my text messages."

 

He seemed so casual, almost too good to be true. But before I could ask him about it, I remembered that giraffe's words. I turned to him, eyebrows furrowed. "Ready for what?"

 

"We are going grocery shopping."

 

 

 

 

Who the hell had the idea to force me into grocery shopping with Giraffe and Myungsoo? OK, maybe I'd had nothing better to do, but still. I didn't want to hang out with Sungyeol. He talked to much. On the other hand, I had Eunji and Myungsoo. Looking at the latter made everything less annoying and boring. 

 

Apparently, Eunji's mom had wanted us to buy a few things for her, saying we were still young and fit. Apparently, Eunji's mom liked Sungyeol a lot. Maybe she even had a crush on Myungsoo. You never knew. Apparently, those two boys were regular visitors in Eunji's family store. Apparently, I could care less. 

 

"No, no. This is better." Sungyeol and Eunji had been arguing which sauce was better for a few minutes now. I felt a bit embarrassed at Sungyeol for exaggerating. Eunji - being the mature one - gave in. Myungsoo shook his head in disapproval at his childish friend. 

 

I sighed loudly, my frustration only redirected to myself when Myungsoo behind me placed his hand on my shoulder and asked. "Are you tired?"

 

I shook my head, feeling slightly strange at his touch, when we finally finished the whole grocery shopping thingy. Eunji placed the money on the counter while Sungyeol put all the purchases in paper bags. I was more than surprised to find out that this store still provided paper bags. I thought it was an American thing. Or outdated. Myungsoo behind me suddenly excused himself as he ran out of the store and shouted someone's name. My eyes followed his figure until I saw him arriving in front of Suji. Right, she lives in my neighborhood. 

 

They talked for awhile, her smiling at whatever he said and him pointing at us behind the windows of the store. Sungyeol asked where Myungsoo went to, but I guess my eyes already answered his question because he didn't bother annoying me further. 

 

"Oh, isn't that Suji?"

 

Strangely enough, Myungsoo came back after biding goodbye with her. I had expected him to ditch us and leave with her because they kinda seemed like a couple you couldn't break apart. But for some reasons, he came back. 

 

"What is it?" he asked innocently after reentering the store because all eyes were on him. 

 

"Nothing." was what Sungyeol said. And Myungsoo seemed satisfied with his short response as we finished packing and left the store. 

 

The sun was bleeding in the clouds, displaying a breathtaking view. Sungyeol and Myungsoo had acted like gentlemen, refusing to let us carry the paper bags. For whatever reasons, I stood next to Myungsoo while Eunji and Giraffe were walking in front of us. It was quiet, only the noises of birds and rustling bushes overtaking our conversations. 

 

The moment was almost perfect. My best friend, Eunji, hanging out with me like we used to.  Myungsoo and I having somehow managed to return to that autumn day. Sungyeol was just an unnecessary extra I could close my eyes in front. April's weather was beautiful. The right temperature. It was almost perfect. Besides Howon, of course. Because things still weren't fine with Busan guy and his father. Which meant I wasn't fine either. 

 

I knew I should try to be happy. And I was happy in that moment. Because after all that happened, things seemed to be a bit perfect. Although perfect was an overrated and overused word. At least, I wasn't my depressive mess anymore. At least, I didn't need to care about Woohyun anymore. That was already a positive thing. Because I was able to let go. And by letting him go, I was able to open doors for other people in my life. Myungsoo was one of them. 

 

 

 

 

I couldn't remember how I had ended up here. I couldn't tell you the reason as to why the things were as it was now. I really didn't know. Just a few days ago, Iㅡ OK, if you didn't realize I had been repeating myself, then I seriously don't know what's wrong with you. But jokes aside, I really didn't know why I had ended up here. 

 

I thought it was funny to rewatch Charlie and the Chocolate Factory with Johnny Depp because I had that big crush on him, but Eunji was sick of me rewatching the movie for the uptenth time, and so I had asked Howon to accompany me. But apparently, he had to work until night, and we wouldn't be able to watch the movie before 11pm, and he had to take the morning shift tomorrow which meant he needed enough sleep because he was such a pillow-kisser. I hope you can see how frustrated I was. I initially had wanted him to come to my place because I had already bought snacks and everything, but he had destroyed my whole plan. 

 

OK, what was so frustrating about watching the movie by myself? Nothing. But I wanted Howon to watch the movie. He had told me he had never watched it, and it was a movie everyone had to watch. Johnny Depp was in there, after all. I wanted to force it into him, but he had chosen his sleep over his best friend. 

 

I know I was selfish. Howon knew as well so he had suggested me to watch by Sunggyu's with the reason that he could always fall asleep when he was bored of the movie (which would never happen), and he wouldn't have to take the bus back to Myeongdong (where Sunggyu currently lived) at 1am. He had even offered me to stay the night, but in no way would I sleep over. I really wanted to watch the movie, and I wanted Howon to watch as well. So I said yes. 

 

Of course, I wouldn't sleep over. I'd just stay until the screen showed the final scene, and leave. As simple as that. Although it was kinda strange to enter Sunggyu's apartment. 

 

I met Howon after work in Myeongdong. He laughed at me for bringing a bag full of snacks along, asking whether there were peanuts in there. Of course, I told him I wouldn't bring my death with me. He patted my head again (for whatever stupid reason), and we walked to Sunggyu's apartment. Meanwhile, I asked Busan guy why Sunggyu was even living alone, but Howon kind of changed the topic. We soon arrived at the respective place when Sunggyu - who apparently had the day off from work - opened the door for us. 

 

It was so awkward, I felt like disappearing. He was wearing a plain black shirt with loose pants. His hair looked freshly washed, and he kinda smelt like shampoo (which was stupid of me to state since he did take a shower, after all). At first, he looked surprised seeing me, and I wanted to strangle Howon for not telling him I was coming over, but his surprise was soon replaced with warmth. Something I always related to him. 

 

"Come in." He smiled, opening the door wider for us to enter when I suddenly heard a really familiar voice. 

 

"Sunggyu-hyung, you have visitors?"

 

I took off my shoes as fast as it was possible, ran to the living room connected to the kitchen and saw my cousin's face on Sunggyu's laptop. 

 

"What the? What are you doing here?" we both shouted at the screen simultaneously. I couldn't believe that Dongwoo, my cousin, literally skyped with Sunggyu. I knew they had really gotten along during January, but I never thought they would keep in touch like that. Dongwoo hadn't even texted me after he had left. 

 

Howon appared behind me to greet Dongwoo over the screen before excusing himself and leaving for his room. 

 

"Do you want something to drink?" Sunggyu asked from the kitchen, glancing over to me at the kitchen counter. I was too confused and startled to answer properly as he already poured down some milk for me. After placing the cup next to his laptop in front of me, he left for his room or the toilet - I wasn't sure. 

 

I glanced back at Dongwoo when he spoke up. "What are you doing in Sunggyu-hyung's apartment? Are you dating one of them now?"

 

"Hell, no. But thank you for skyping with him and not with me."

 

"Com'on, I only live a few hours away. We can always see each other."

 

I let his words sink in my mind as I stared at the cup of milk. "You are really attached to Sunggyu, huh?"

 

"He's a cool guy. He even lives alone now." Dongwoo answered, smiling brightly. It was kinda heartwarming to know that they got along so well. Almost like Howon and I. Speaking of him, he appeared out of nowhere with his clothes changed into comfortable ones as he passed by me, his hand moving my hair falling to the back to the side. Ever since I had cut my hair shorter, he had done it a few times. 

 

"Have you got yourself a girl, then?" I smirked at my cousin over the screen, placing my lips on the rim of the cup. 

 

Sunggyu entered the living room, taking a seat next to me at the kitchen counter before saying. "He did."

 

I was a bit startled by his proximity and wanted to scoot away, but his response was more than interesting as I stared at my cousin. "Why didn't you tell me?"

 

"Ah, wait." Dongwoo started laughing, trying hard to speak. "Hyung, why are you betraying me?"

 

Howon joined us with a soda can in his hands as I felt Sunggyu's knee touching mine. I knew it wasn't on purpose, and he probably didn't think much of it, but I felt kind of weird and moved my knee away. His phone suddenly rang as he excused himself and went for that call. From the muffled sentences I heard, I guessed it was his mother. Although a part of me hoped it was Woohyun, instead. 

 

 

 

 

Howon and I were sitting on the couch in the living room while watching the DVD of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory I had gotten from my parents. The lights were off, and opened and almost empty bags of chips were lying on the coffee table. I always glanced at Howon to check whether he was still awake and hadn't fallen asleep. I had once caught him closing his eyes which was why I had slapped him lightly. From what I had observed, this definitely wasn't Howon's favorite movie. But I couldn't blame him. I only liked this movie because of Johnny. 

 

In the middle of the movie I asked Howon why Sunggyu hadn't joined us to which he answered. "It's not like you had invited him."

 

Well, that was true. And guilt started surrounding me like the darkness itself. To distract from my embarrassment and shame, I changed the topic. "So Hoya, how is it going with Miyoung?"

 

"Perfectly fine. I've asked her out on a date, and she said yes. We're going to Lotte World this Saturday." he answered, eyes fixed on the screen. 

 

"Oh my god, really now?" I'd like someone to explain my contradicting feelings. 

 

"Of course not." He glanced my way. "I told you I don't see her like that."

 

"But even Inguk can see that."

 

"You really want me to have a girlfriend, don't you?" He ran his fingers through his hair. "I think you will feel lonely when I start dating. I'm a really passionate lover which means I'll only be focussed on her."

 

For a moment, I had to suppress the big grin that was about to appear on my face. "Then, how's your ideal type like? Long hair, short hair. Skinny or curvy?"

 

He stared at me, his eyebrows furrowed. "You're not having this talk with me. Talk about these things with Eunji, but not with me."

 

"Are you getting shy?" I teased, grinning at him. 

 

"That reminds me I already had this talk with Sunggyu."

 

"And what did he say?"

 

Howon furrowed his eyebrows again, thinking hard about my question. "y."

 

I pulled a disgusted face. "OK, I don't want this talk with you either."

 

"I was just kidding." Busan guy retorted, laughing and just like that, the world seemed a lot happier. Like Howon didn't have family problems. Like I didn't have to worry about my future anymore. Like Sunggyu never became cautious and awkward around me. Like the text message misunderstanding never occured between Myungsoo and me. Like my aunt was never sick, lying in a hospital. Like I actually confessed to Woohyun, and he said yes. 

 

I truly wished I could open new doors without closing the old ones. 

 

 

 

 

_________________________________

 

● ○
 

 

Someone remembers the time I used to update everyday? Yeah, me neither. 

 

Can someone explain my Reply H feels?

 

 

PS: Infinite teasers are killing me... I hate to be teased...

What's your favorite song preview?

I kinda really like Inception or 너에게 간다 (don't know the English name). Mom will be really touching and Destiny will be Infinite's trademark style with obsession as the main theme :D