Reply Twenty-Six

Reply, First Love

 

 

 

 

Reply Twenty-Six

 

 

 

I had a really beautiful dream. The sun was shining so brightly. People were so happy. I saw my father's face. He looked so young. Maybe in his early 20s. He smiled at me, extending his big hand out. And when I reached for him, I saw Howon at the lonely playground. I saw him burying his face in his hands. He was crying. Why was he crying? I wanted to call out his name, but nothing came out. And then, I just woke up.

 

"Are you OK?"

 

I adjusted my eyes to the bright light in the staff room, the blanket covering me slowly slipping down. There was only one person in the room, and he was looking at me worriedly. As fast as thunder strikes a tree, I remembered why I was here in the first place. The fight with my mom. Me wanting to leave. A few minutes later, I had found myself at Howon's work place. He had been surprised to meet me but nonetheless, a smile had been placed on his lips. He had made the pain that he had started go away. I must have looked tired because they had told me to go rest in the staff room. 

 

"Here, water." He held a plastic cup in front of me, urging me to take it.

 

"Thank you." It was almost inaudible, not even I myself was able to hear me saying it. But Sunggyu seemed to have heard me. With a subtle nod, he retracted himself a few meters away from me.

 

"Howon was worried because you didn't seem OK." he began, taking a seat on the stool behind him, "I guess you haven't slept enough last night."

 

I remembered Busan guy and our nightly conversation yesterday, filled with sobs, tears and hugs. Maybe that was why I had cried today. Because I hadn't slept enough last night. Because I had worried too much. When I looked at Sunggyu and his forehead - because he had his fringe styled at the front - I wondered whether Howon had told him about his family affairs. I wished he had.

 

"I need to go back. Call us if you need something."

 

He left, closing the door behind him. I really wasn't tired anymore. I felt so much better after having slept a few hours. After resting a bit, I realized I was at fault. My mom had been right. Howon's mother did deserve to know about her son's whereabouts. I was being childish and ignorant. Mothers always knew better. 

 

I stood up, opened the door to the shop and exited the staff room. Sunggyu was nowhere in sight. Maybe he was working outside as a gas station attendant. I glanced at the convenience store dude with the name Inguk who looked at me with worry etched on his face before it was replace by his trademark smirk. Howon's back was face towards me as he laughed along with Miyoung, their arms brushing against each other. He seemed to happily show her something on his phone while her body leaned a bit towards Busan guy. A sign that she liked him. 

 

Without me noticing, Inguk already appeared by my side, crossing his arms in front of his chest. "I know it."

 

A slight feeling of weariness rushed through me as I asked. "What?"

 

"That you," he began, pointing at me, "and Hoya," he continued, doing the same gesture before he traced a heart shape with his index fingers. 

 

My eyes widened as I shook my head and said. "That's why you always smirked at me like that? Because you thought Howon and I were an item?"

 

He shook his head. "I grinned at you because I knew you had a thing for your best friend, and because I saw you getting jealous at Miyoung."

 

"Tell me what I did for you to think I'm jealous. You don't know anything about me." I responded, slightly offended by his assumption. "And where did you get the nickname Hoya?"

 

He shrugged his shoulder, pointing at Busan guy. "That's how he introduced himself. I'm Howon, but you can call me Hoya."

 

Something really annoyed me in that situation. Either the fact that my best friend let other people call him the name I gave him, or the fact that Inguk was totally wrong with his assumptions about me. Damn it, he knew nothing about me. 

 

Sunggyu re-entered the shop, his eyes instantly meeting mine. His hands were carrying trash that he had supposedly picked up outside around the gas station as he averted his eyes away and smiled at Howon and Miyoung. They shared a few muffled sentences before Busan guy turned around and noticed me standing next to the owner's son. 

 

"You are awake." he remarked, smiling warmly. At that moment, I wanted to burst out in tears for betraying him. For letting all this happen. He patted my head like a father to his child as he asked me whether I was hungry. 

 

I shook my head no, but Miyoung looked a bit troubled as she said. "But Sunggyu already prepared cup noodles for you. It should be done by now."

 

 

 

 

"Hana, that's why you cried?"

 

I told Howon everything. About his mother visiting us tomorrow. About the fight and me leaving like a brat. I also told him about me regretting, and all he did was to listen to me carefully before posing the question above. 

 

"I'm sorry, Howon..." 

 

"Why?" He chuckled. "It's not like my mom kicked me out. I'm actually glad your mother told my mom. Or else she'd worry too much."

 

I nodded, choking my tears back. "I still feel like betraying you."

 

"Don't." He patted my head again while my eyes were fixed on the cooling noodles in the cup. "I'm happy to see her tomorow. Don't worry too much. She is a nice woman." 

 

I saw genuine glee appearing in his eyes when he started talking about his mother. She must be really important to him, and I was surprised to see Howon acting so carefree. I should have learned from him. 

 

"When we go back, apologize to your mom. Tell her you realized it's your fault. And help me buy something for your parents." 

 

"Why? It's not Christmas, and we aren't living in a western country."

 

He smiled. "Tonight will be my last day living in Son household, and I want to return your kindness."

 

"Where will you stay, then?" I asked, a pang of disappointment entering my body. 

 

"Sunggyu's currently living in his own apartment. I'll be staying with him, and share the expenses."

 

"But why can't you stay with us?" It was almost like Dongwoo leaving back in the beginning of the year. 

 

"Because I don't want to burden you guys any more. And before you object, I know I'm not a burden to you. But I don't want your mother to be making breakfast for me anymore. I don't want your father to neglet his own desires when watching TV. And your grandparents need care. It's just me, you know. I just can't stay anymore." he answered truthfully. The way he told me lessened my sadness because I kinda understood that he must have felt awkward to receive so much love. And all he needed was time. 

 

"It was nice as long as it lasted." I remarked playfully, extending my hand out. 

 

"It was nice having a little sister."

 

 

 

 

If I had to choose whose mother was friendlier or made me feel more comfortable between Myungsoo's and Busan guy's, I would definitely choose the latter. Maybe because she was a lot like Howon. The way she cracked jokes, or the way she smiled at me. With just one glance, I was able to conclude she was a nice woman. 

 

Both of them had a really close relationship. Howon would tease his mother, and she would playfully smack him. It was funny to watch. On the other hand, she was also quite a serious and sensitive person. Especially at the goodbye stage. 

 

"Your father never meant to kick you out. We thought you would be persistent, waiting for us to call you back at the gates. But when he opened the door, you disappeared."

 

"That's because I've found a place to turn to. I couldn't face him anymore."

 

"Then, you aren't coming back?" His mother seemed to be on the brink of crying, her laughing face from before replacing itself in my head with the sad expression. 

 

Howon shook his head no. "As long as Father and I aren't on good terms, I'll be staying with a friend. We need time to reflect things. I'll come back if everything calms down."

 

"If you need moneyㅡ"

 

"No, it's alright. I've saved up enough from my part-time job." They hugged tightly as I searched for my mom's small hand and put light pressure upon holding it. She knew what I was telling her. Thank you, mom. And I'm sorry.

 

 

 

 

"You are leaving already..." 

 

It felt so strange to let Howon go. If I could, I'd want to keep him with me forever. Those were the best two days in my life. Waking up and knowing your best friend was sleeping next door. I could live with that thought forever. 

 

"It's not like we won't find time to see each other." He scoffed, his usual attitude reappearing. 

 

"Who knows?" I put my chin on my palms, my stomache pressing against the bed in the soon-to-be lonely guest room. "You have Sunggyu, that Inguk and Miyoung. You might as well forget me."

 

"Are you doubting yourself as my best friend?" He stressed the latter words. 

 

I shrugged my shoulders. "You never know. After school ends, nothing is the same. There is no excuse to meet each other anymore."

 

He zipped his bag shut as he looked at me with an unreadable expression. "You can accompany me to Sunggyu."

 

I shook my head. "No, it's alright."

 

"Don't you want to know what it looks like? His apartment, I mean? That way you will know the directions to where you'll find me." He extended his hand for me to grab, but I slapped him away. 

 

"Nah, rather not. But I want to go to Myeongdong and visit my aunt."

 

So Howon and I took the bus and waited for the stop signs to display our destination's name. My grandmother was more than sad to let Busan guy go. Probably sadder than I was, and I was his best friend. In those two days he had spent at our house, I had realized how loved he was in my family. My grandmother had treated him like her own son, always cooking food for him. My mother had always made sure that he felt at home, and my dad had cared to talk a lot with him. Mom had apparently enlightened him about the reason for Howon's temporary stay. I think, Dad had wanted to show some fatherly love. My grandfather had been the only one who hadn't been very enthusiastic about the whole situation. He had complained a lot, shouting at my mother for letting Howon stay. Of course, they had argued when he wasn't listening. But it was still unacceptable for my grandfather to shout at his daughter-in-law. I had been so mad at him that I had almost jump into the conversation to tell him my piece of mind, but I had restricted myself. And like I hadn't already expected it, my grandfather had grunted disapprovingly when Howon had given the whole family a Thank You present. I seriously didn't know what his problem was. 

 

"Shall I accompany you?" Howon asked, startling me with his sudden question that jerked me out of my train of thoughts. 

 

"If you want." I smiled, readjusting the ear bud connected to his Ipod. 

 

"But let me drop off my things by Sunggyu's first."

 

"Um, can we not?" 

 

"Why?" He looked a bit annoyed at my constant backing off when it came to Sunggyu. 

 

"You see, I'm not that close with him. He didn't invite me." I fumbled with my bag's strap on my lap. 

 

"We are just dropping off my things." He chuckled. "You seriously need to fix that strange relationship with him."

 

 

Guess what, I hadn't tried to fix our relationship or rather, I didn't have the chance. Because I had stayed outside when Howon had gone upstairs to drop off his things. Call me a coward, but wouldn't you also avoid awkward situations?

 

 

 

 

________________________________

 

● ○
 

 

OK, hate me now or shoot me to death (which will only result in me not finishing this story, and you not knowing the ending)

This chapter should have been online last Sunday. I've let you guys wait for 2 weeks and 1 day (or approx. 23 hours)

I'm really sorry for my readers. I haven't even replied to most of the comments, what an ungrateful author...

Again, thank you for staying with me although I'm always too late in replying. 

I promise, next chapter will be up on Sunday. So you only have to wait 6 days. 

 

Kisses and hugs from Woohyun for you. 

Or if you don't like him, tongue sweeping and wits from Hoya (this chapter was pure Hoyalicious). 

If you don't like him either, intense stare and dorkiness from Myungsoo (he went missing, together with Woohyun). 

Still no? Then eyesmile and awkwardness from Sunggyu.

 

PS: Who is excited for Infinite's comeback? :)