Reply Twelve

Reply, First Love

 

 

 

 

Reply Twelve

 

 

 

When I was younger, I always thought one couldn't have several incovenient happenings in one day. I always thought that people are somehow protected by God or something like that from evil spirits who like to prank the human beings. I always thought that people couldn't have so many bad lucks. I was 12 when I first came to this conclusion. It was 2008 when it happened. When I completely changed my view of things, of luck.

 

 

It was already the 14th September which meant Chuseok for us. It's a traditional holiday in South Korea. Families prepare food to celebrate this holiday. Some even wear those traditional Hanboks. My family also decided to wear them since my grandmother loved to sew them together. She told me the day before that white and blue suited me. But since the white fabric for the upper part of my Hanbok wasn't enough, she used a yellowish one but in the end, it looked really pretty. 

 

My mother prepared all the food while my dad watched TV. Just by looking at that situation, I knew my mom would go out of the kitchen to yell at my dad for being so lazy. They would yell and shout at each other until my grandmother faked a heartattack, gaining everyone's attention. She never liked it when her son argued with his wife. Neither did I, it was too annoying to me.

 

I was in my room while listening to some music Howon put on my IPod, as I flipped through my scrapbook. As stupid as it might sounded, I actually kept the cotton pads with the glitter from Woohyun's shirt collar and from his nails. To be honest, even I was a bit crept out by myself but it didn't prevent me from keeping them. It was my reminder of the day I actually touched his hand. Actually, I never once touched him, did I? He did catch me before I fell to the ground, even though I wasn't actually falling. I was just stumbling when he almost bumped into me the day before the school festival. Now that I thought about it, I actually missed his singing voice. I wished I had recorded him singing at the talent show.

 

 It was almost noon when my mother yelled from downstairs she needed me to do her a favor. She apparently didn't have enough red beans for songpyeon - which are rice cakes filled with different ingredients, one being red beans - and she asked me to buy some. Since I didn't have anything to do and I didn't want my father to yell at me for being lazy, even though he was the first one being lazy and I probably inherited this trait from my idiot dad, I decided to do her the favor. But then I realized I have already worn my Hanbok and I wasn't too keen on people staring at me like I was cosplaying. My mom waved it away, saying this day was the most legit one to be wearing a Hanbok so I shouldn't worry. She literally threw me out with some money.

 

 

 

 

I was walking down the streets of my neighborhood to reach the small supermarket on the way. Whenever I overslept and my mother forgot to prepare breakfast, I always bought my food here. It was on my way to school and it was convenient. When I passed Eunji's house, I pondered whether to pay her a visit since it was Chuseok. There was one time when we actually celebrated those holidays together. Unfortunately, our parents started arguing about how to put the food on the table and we decided, we would never celebrate it together anymore. I was glad that our friendship didn't fade away because of the incident. The next day, even our parents acted like nothing happened.

 

When I arrived at the supermarket, I noticed that it was dark inside. That was when I realized the shops were closed during Chuseok. Of course, I mean everyone wanted to celebrate it with their family. Why should some people work on that day? But without red beans, I knew my father would be in a bad mood since he always looked forward to them every year. And I really didn't want to celebrate my Chuseok with a moody dad. Lotte Mart came to my mind and since there was a possibility for it to be open, I decided to take a look. To my luck, the busses were available with their Sunday or holiday routine which meant not every minute or hour.

 

When I got on the bus, I noticed only a few people sitting at the back. It was Chuseok anyways, people rather stayed at home. But because I had a moody dad who loved red beans and because I couldn't afford to let my Chuseok be destroyed, I became one of the persons to be riding this bus. I mentally slapped myself for not bringing my phone or my IPod along. It was boring not to listen to some music. And I couldn't even send Eunji or Howon a text message.

 

By the time I exited the bus in Myeongdong, I noticed that I still wore the Hanbok. That was why I felt some eyes on me the whole time I rode the bus. Feeling a bit embarrassed, I walked quicker to the entrance of Lotte Mart only to find out that it was closed, too. That meant, I had to deal with a moody dad today. I leaned my forehead against the glass doors as I let all my frustration out. I came all the way here to find out that it was closed. I was so mad and frustrated that I didn't notice someone standing next to me, until they whispered something to themself.

 

"After Chuseok, 4pm."

 

I looked up, turned my head to the right as I saw someone wearing a male Hanbok. His color was the same as mine, the upper part yellowish and the vest-like item blue. He was writing something on a paper when I recognized his face. My head started spinning and I just wanted to walk away before he noticed me. Before he recognized me, too. It would only be embarassing. So I quickly hid my face and started walking off. Out of all days, I had to meet that idiot today in Hanboks. I cursed my parents for forcing me to buy red beans even though the shops were closed. We should have known. I just wanted to leave this place as fast as I could, but he stopped me.

 

"Excuse me, miss. Do you have a pen for me?"

 

Like I had another choice then to turn around. Back then, I haven't thought of continuing hiding my face while shaking the head a 'no'. I always saw it on TV, how the protagonist refused to turn around to face the person she didn't want to meet. How she just walked off without turning around. But my life wasn't a drama which aired on TV. It was reality and I couldn't just walk away. Or rather, I didn't think of that idea. "No."

 

"Eli? So it was you." His eyesmile showed me how happy he was to meet me. Not because he liked me. I would be happy, too to meet a friend during Chuseok when it was actually difficult to meet people one knew. But this guy wasn't my friend. 

 

"Well, yeah." I awkwardly smiled at him until I bowed slightly, wanting to finish this encounter. "I'll be going then."

 

Maybe I was contradicted. Maybe I was weird. Even though I always insulted him in my mind, I couldn't just insult him when he was in front of me. It was impolite, I guess. He was a stranger to me while it was easy to insult my aunt since we knew each other from the beginning. And the thing was, he was Woohyun's best friend, I suppose. And Woohyun always wanted me to accept that guy even though I couldn't. I didn't know why it all began. I once even liked that hamster guy. I once accepted him as a person when I coincidentally met Woohyun in Lotte Mart. He was there, too and I started to accept him. But then he had to turn the class' attention to me when I passed by their classroom during the first day of school. And he had to open my bag of peanuts.

 

 

 

 

I stood at the bus station, waiting for my bus when I noticed that I was actually the only one waiting. On top of that, I haven't seen a bus for a very long time already. I decided to look at the bus plan just to find out that the last bus already went off. It was frustrating. This Chuseok was by far the worst ever. I really hated it already. I hated the whole season in general. Even though my dad really liked it. I hated it this year.

 

"The busses are already gone."

 

Without turning around, I knew who it was. I knew whom this voice belonged to. Since I have praised it during the talent show. I asked myself why I even bothered to listen anymore. I had to find a way to go home. I couldn't waste my time by letting my frustration on the bus plan out. "Yeah, I know."

 

"Where do you live?" Sunggyu asked me.

 

"Hannam-dong." I was pouting while answering him. The only reason why I actually responded was because I had no other choice. Because I still had to find a way to go home.

 

"Near Han River?" He asked again, approaching me but still keeping some distance. I nodded as I looked around for a taxi. I still had money since I couldn't buy the red beans. It might not be enough but I needed to go back or my parents will worry. He watched me the whole time which irked me. I hated it when people did that. He probably wanted to say something but he didn't dare. I just wished he could go away and leave me alone.

 

"How are you going home?" Whenever his voice started echoing in my mind, I tried my best not to let goosebumps appear on my skin. I just hated the fact that I actually liked his voice. Even I was able to hear the concern out of his voice but he didn't need to. Why be concerned with someone who didn't considered you to be her friend?

 

"Taxi." I replied short as I made my way to cross the streets.

 

"Wait, it's difficult to find a taxi here. I'm not even sure if there are some available."

 

I turned around looking at him. What did he want from me? Why was he trying to keep me in staying? It was ridiculous. We both looked ridiculous. He and I, we both wore Hanboks, we looked stupid together. Even the color matched and it irked me. It annoyed me. "How are you going home, then?"

 

He didn't notice the annoyed underlying tone I used as he answered me with a smile. "I will call my parents."

 

"Then, good luck." I was about to leave when I saw him searching his phone in my peripheral view. Until he gasped loudly. Until he suddenly became hysteric and almost took his Hanbok off. "What the hell are you doing?"

 

He lifted his head to meet eyes with mine. It was the first time I was actually able to see his eyes. "I can't find my phone."

 

I rolled my eyes, scoffing. "How stupid can someone be to forget his phone?"

 

But then I realized, I did the same. I tried to surpress my embarassment, even ignoring Sunggyu's scoffing as he heard my remark. He was a bit annoyed by me, I guess. Since I called him stupid. "Can you lend me your phone?"

 

"I never said I brought mine." I looked away from his eyes to forget that image of him with the eyeliner.

 

"And you call me stupid." He continued searching in his hanbok for his phone.

 

"I don't have a phone, okay? Sorry that I'm not rich and my parents don't earn enough money."

 

That grandpa turned his attention back to me, this time narrowing his eyes on me. I knew that look. He was suspicious of me. "Don't lie. I know you have a phone. You have Woohyun's number."

 

My eyes widened at his answer. "Said who? I don't have his number."

 

"Really? Then it was Howon." Upon hearing his response, I sighed. I didn't even know why. It would have been great if I had his number but at the same time, I didn't want that guy in front of me to know about the interaction with me and Woohyun.

 

We both stared at each other for awhile until he started laughing softly. I continued to stare at his laughing figure as if it wasn't funny at all to me. It wasn't, actually. I wanted to go home but I couldn't. And now I was stuck here with that idiot. Sunggyu finally readt the atmosphere as he realized in what kind of situation we both were.

 

"How are we going home then?" I asked this question myself enough times already. I didn't know. Since he was right about the taxis. They probably didn't even drive today. And we both couldn't call our parents since we didn't have our phones with us. We were doomed.

 

 

 

 

Sunggyu and I were sitting on the bench at the bus station for almost an hour waiting for something to happen. Why did we even wait? I wasn't sure either. Why I didn't go away from him? With him as my companion, I was safe. I was afraid there might be some drunk people roaming around and trying to hit on young high school girls. With Sunggyu - even though he was a grandpa - I was safe. Since he was still a man. And I just had to depend on him this time. Also since it got darker and I was afraid of the darkness.

 

"Are we going to celebrate Chuseok together?"

 

I knew he tried to be funny and if someone else had said that, I would have laughed or at least chuckled but this situation I was in right now wouldn't allow me. I wasn't in the mood. I only nodded lightly in response.

 

"Why are we even wearing the same color? Isn't that a bit embarrassing? Ah, really." He stomped his feet lightly on the ground to keep his body in movement. It was cold, even I felt snot coming out of my nostrils.

 

"I want to go home to my warm and cozy bed." I mumbled, rubbing my hands against my arms to keep myself a bit heated up.

 

"Ah!" He snapped his fingers, looking at me with widened eyes. "Why haven't we thought of it earlier? We can use the phone cabins."

 

"Do you have coins?" I asked, already sensing the failure.

 

"No, do you?"

 

I turned my head to face him with an annoyed expression as I gave him a look, saying if I had, I would have thought of it earlier. With that, he kept his mouth shut. While I thought I would be spared from his annoying ideas, he started speaking again. Like he could actually shut his mouth for more than three minutes. "Are you hungry?"

 

"Even if I was, what could you do?" It was tiring to be talking with him. Even though I would rather spend my time with him instead of alone since you never knew what might happen.

 

"I have some snacks here." He pulled a chocolate bar from his hanbok making me wonder whether I really should take it. But upon seeing food, my tummy started growling, aching for this snack. When he gave me the chocolate bar with a knowing smile, I couldn't help but feel embarassed and ashamed. I was so hostile towards him while he stayed friendly to me. He even accompanied me, he stayed with me even though he could have just gone away. Even though he could have just walked home, since I wasn't sure where he lived. Maybe he lived somewhere near Myeongdong. But he insisted in staying. The moment he sat down with me on the bench, I started regretting feeling that way towards him. But I couldn't help it.

 

"Thank you." I mumbled under my breath as I opened the snack. That was when a car pulled up in front of us. We couldn't recognize the faces inside the car since the headlights prevented us from doing so. It shone right into our eyes, making us squint them. I was about to stand up since I somehow recognized this car to be one from the police and they might be able to help us, but Sunggyu pushed me back down.

 

"Wait here. This might be dangerous."

 

Because of his act, I actually became scared. Maybe they were some deliquents. Maybe they wanted to kipnap us. You never knew and I already had so many inconvenient happenings that I might as well die today. I sat there, shivering because of the cold as I stared at Sunggyu's back. For some reason, he seemed pretty protective and mature now that I looked at him. I knew he was older than me by one year but I always thought he was stupid and childish since he always made me want to slap him. Right at this moment, I thought he was cool. Like on that school festival when he wore eyeliner. Or when he sang.

 

"Hana?"

 

Upon hearing that familar voice that belonged to my mother, I immediately stood up. "Mom!"

 

Two policemen exited the car with flashlights as they pointed it on my mother and me hugging each other in reunion. My father came out of the car as well as he patted my head, feeling relief that nothing happened to me. One of the policemen then directed his flashlight to Sunggyu. "Who are you?"

 

My father turned his attention to hamster gyu as well, building anger. "Were you hitting on my daughter?"

 

Sunggyu's eyes widened as his lips parted. He quickly put his hands up in defense, trying to wave the thoughts away. "No, no! We go to the same school. We just met coincidentally. I'm Kim Sunggyu."

 

"Why aren't you at home?" It was my mother who spoke up. "It's Chuseok."

 

"I missed the last bus. Really, I didn't do anything to your daughter." I could see by the appearing sweating pearls that he was nervous. I would be, too if people accused me of something I didn't do.

 

"Want to celebrate with us?" I stared at my mother who just invited my enemy with the beautiful voice. Why would she invite him when he wasn't even my friend? But to my luck, my dad expressed my disbelief.

 

"Why are you always inviting strangers? Invite that Howon, not just random strangers who hits on my daughter. No offense." The last words were directed to Sunggyu who just shrugged it away.

 

"Now that we are reunited, please get in the car. We want to celebrate Chuseok, too." One of the policemen remarked. My parents pushed me into the car as I stared at the chocolate bar in my hand. I looked back at Sunggyu who explained something to the policemen.

 

"Hey, come with us. I assume, the policemen will drive you home. It's already dark." I said, sticking my head out of the window of the car. My father was sitting next to me as he nudged me, saying there wasn't any more space for a sixth person but I ignored him.

 

"Where do you live, young man?" One of them asked.

 

"Cheongu."

 

 

 

 

In the end, we managed to celebrate Chuseok for the whole 3 days of holiday. I texted Howon and Eunji on the third day, wishing them Happy Chuseok. At that time, I wished I had Woohyun's number to text him as well. I even texted Myungsoo, who sent me a photo of him and his mother back. Chuseok ended quite peacefully even though the first day was hell to me. Even though I probably still didn't really like Sunggyu, he somehow managed to win some more respect from me. Not because of his voice, or his eyeliner, but because he helped me. He actually took care of me. And because he was Woohyun's friend. If he liked him, I should, too. With this, I started my Winter 2008.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

___________________________________________________________________________

 

● ○

 

 

 

 

 

Hello my friends!

 

Your annoying author is here!!!

 

Try guessing why I decided to write a chapter and post it?

 

FYEAH! INFINITE's INKIGAYO WIN!!!!!!!

 

 

I was happy as hell, I cried when I watched their shocked expressions. I was so damn happy, I literally cried like a baby T_T

 

My babies, they finally won after a week of their comeback!!! Gosh, I'm more happy than when winning a lottery, right now :DDD

 

These cute seven dwarfs really deserve it! Really, jinjja, jinjja!! I voted like crazy for them, wished for them to win whenever the clock said 11:11.

I prayed, hashtagged their name for SNS in Inkigayo! Damn and now they indeed won!!! I'm so proud!!!

So freaking proud!!!

 

 

So this chapter is dedicated to their win, since they deserve it and I love them and they love us back, so yeah! This is the deal :DDD

 

 

 

 

- tofudimsum