Fool

Blind

 

School was back in session, the weekend has passed by and the group was gathered around in homeroom reminiscing the good times they had.

“It’s weird; I felt as if the weekend passed by slow but also fast. Does that make sense?” Sunny asks, debating on her own question.

 “It does to me” Seohyun replies, sitting close to Yoona.

“Well if it makes sense to Seohyun, it should make sense to all of us” Yoona replies chuckling.

The door slowly opens and another student walks in, eyeing Taeng before approaching him.

 “Hey, you’re the transfer student right?” He addresses to Taeng.

Taeng nods, “Yeah. Can I help you?”

 “I’m Lee Kikwang, captain of the basketball team. I was wondering if you were interested in joining the team.”

 Taeng smiles, “Really? I’d love too; I was captain of my basketball team in middle school”

The latter grins, “Great! Tryouts are afterschool today”

Taeng nods, “Okay cool, I’ll be there”

Kikwang shakes his hand before leaving the room; the gang looks at him with awe.

“Wow you’ve played basketball before?” Sooyoung asks in admiration.

 “Yeah, I love basketball. I was MVP throughout my years of playing” Taeng replies, smiling sheepishly.

“They’ll need someone like you then! Our basketball team hasn’t done very well the past years” Yoona explains “Plus you’ll be on the same team as Yul, I’m not much of a basketball player. I’m all about soccer”

Seohyun shakes her head, “Yoona’s very good at soccer”

Yoona blushes, smiling at Seohyun.

“Then you’re going to make the team for sure Tae” Tiffany says, punching her best friend’s arm.

 Taeng rubs the back of his head, “I hope so”

 “Don’t be so modest, you know you’re going to make varsity your first year” Jessica says chuckling.

 The group laughs; Taeng was excited for basketball tryouts. Basketball has been one of his many passions; it was a motivator in life for him.

 Yoona punches him arm, “When you make the team I’ll take you out for steak, my treat”

“Steak?!” Sooyoung asks, her eyes the size of bowling balls.

 Yoona sighs, “Not for you”

“Awh come on Yoona” Sunny asks with a full amount of aegyo.

 Yoona shoves her face, “Don’t do that”

Seohyun touches his arm, “Please Yoona? Just this once?”

 Yoona quickly melts under her contact, “O-okay, but just this once”

 Hyoyeon and Seohyun high five each other, clapping their hands in victory.

 “In that case, I’ll try my hardest to make the team” Taeng says, dorkily smiling.

The school day passes and Taeng was getting anxious. As the bell rings dismissing school, the group tells him good luck one by one.

Tiffany was last, she smiles at him “Good luck at tryouts today, you’ll do great”

 Taeng smiles, “Thanks Fany-ah, I’ll be sure to make the team for you”

 Tiffany was taken aback, but she warmly smiles “You better make the team then”

 Taeng chuckles, saying thanks to his friends before heading to the locker room to change into appropriate attire. As he exits the locker room he bumps into another student, causing them to fall.

“Aish I’m sorry, I wasn’t looking where I was going” Taeng says apologetically, helping the female student up.

 “It’s okay; I’m not hurt-Taeng oppa?” Jieun looks up seeing the heartthrob latter.

 “Oh Jieun! I’m sorry for bumping into you” Taeng says feeling even guiltier.

The latter chuckles, “It’s okay oppa, if anything I’m glad I bumped into you”

 He chuckles, Jieun notices his attire and points.

“Are you joining a sport?” She asks smiling.

He nods, “I’m trying out for basketball”

 The latter squeals, “Omo! That’s great! I hope you make the team, I’ll be sure to support you at every game”

 Taeng smiles sheepishly, “That’s very kind of you”

 Jieun nods, going behind him to push him “Go on, do your best oppa! Hwaiting!”

 Taeng nods, feeling even more confident “Hwaiting!” He waves at Jieun before entering the gym.

 “Ah there he is” Kikwang says, jogging to him.

Taeng smiles, “Here I am”

Kikwang extends his hand, “Let’s formally introduce ourselves, I’m Lee Kikwang, third year in Sone High”

Taeng shakes his hand, “Kim Taeng, second year. I did not know you are a third year, sorry for my informal calling hyung”

The latter laughs, “No worries Taeng, come on, tryouts are about to start” He pats his back, jogging to the rest of the members.

“Taeng?”

“Yul!” Taeng says happily, approaching his friend.

 “You’re trying out for basketball?” The latter asks smiling.

“Yeah, I did basketball when I was younger” Taeng replies smiling.

“That’s great! Maybe you can help us win for the first time” Yul replies sighing.

“I’m sure Taeng will make a great asset to the team” Kikwang says smiling, patting Taeng on the back.

“Thanks hyung” Taeng replies, rubbing the back of his head “So how do tryouts work?”

 “Well, the former basketball players decide who gets to be on the team. We judge you on how well you can shoot, block, guard, basically all the important tactics you need to play basketball” Kikwang explains.

“Okay, who else is on the team?” Taeng asks, seeing many players on the court.

 “Hey! Former players! Line up!” Kikwang yells to the crowd.

Five players, including Yul, line up on the sidelines.

“Taeng this is our team” Kikwang starts to introduce the team one by one “Yul, Daehyun, Baro, Siwon, and-”

“Taeng?”

 Taeng looks at the last member in line, “Oh. Hello Donghae”

 Dongae fakes a smile, “You play basketball?”

 Taeng nods energetically, Donghae sighs.

“Think you can make the team?” The latter asks coldly.

Taeng slowly nods, not sensing the latter’s unfriendly character.

 “Alright, those who are trying out for the team line up!” Kikwang yells to the rest of the people on the court.

Taeng lines up next to a tall slender boy, he looks left to right seeing his competition.

 “Okay, let’s start off with shooting layups. Each former member will take charge for 3 of you”

 Yul makes his way to Taeng, “I’ll be your group leader”

 Taeng chuckles, “Isn’t that biased though?”

 “On the court, we’re not friends until you make the team” Yul teases, punching his arm.

Taeng follows Yul, along with the two others to one of the basketball hoops.

“Okay! One by one, you will have one minute to make as many layups as possible” Kikwang states, holding the whistle up to his mouth.

“Ready!” He blows the whistle indicating the time has started.

Taeng was last in his group; he watches the short student attempt at making layups. Yul was in charge of collecting the basketballs and handing it to them on each side. The short student wasn’t doing very well, by the end of the minute he only made 3 layups.

Taeng pats his back, “It’s okay. Maybe you’re more of a long distance shooter”

The shorter student looks up and smiles, “Thanks for the encouragement”

 The next student in line goes, he was taller and slimmer then the last boy. He was doing much better, making more layups then missing. By the end of the minute he made 10, Taeng pats his back congratulating him.

“Alright Taeng, you’re up” Yul says sternly, passing him the ball.

“Yes sir” Taeng replies smiling.

The whistle blows and Taeng makes his first layup. The adrenaline was pumping through him, he had missed the feeling he felt whenever he makes a basket. Confidence was surging through him as he makes more layups, not missing a single basket. The minute ends and Taeng had made 30 layups, he smiles at his accomplishment.

 Yul whistles, patting his back “I can already smell the word ‘teammate’ on you”

 Taeng chuckles, walking with his friend to the center of the court.

 “Alright, let’s do free throws” Kikwang says, directing the students to the free throw line.

Taeng watches as each member shoots, some missing and some going through the basket. It was already his turn, he takes the basketball off the rack and stands behind the free throw line.

 “Alright Taeng, are you ready?” Kikwang asks the whistle up to his mouth.

 Taeng nods, looking straight at the basket. The whistle blows, and Taeng shoots the ball. A perfect swish sound was made; he grabs the other ball, the same sound being produced. Yul and Kikwang watch in awe as Taeng makes each basket with ease.

By the end, Taeng had only missed one shot; he dorkily rubs the back of his head. Yul gives a thumb up to his friend, giving him the indication he’s going to make the team. Tryouts last another hour before Kikwang turns them loose.

“Alright, good work today guys. We will post on the gym door tomorrow who made the team”

“You go ahead first Taeng, I have to clean up” Yul says to his friend.

Taeng nods, bidding him goodbye and heads to the locker room. He was smiling, confident that he made the team, he was sure of it. He finishes changing and heads out, slinging his bag over his shoulder.

“Oh Tae” He looks and sees Tiffany walking toward him.

He smiles, “Fany-ah”

“How did you do?” She asks, smiling warmly.

Taeng cheekily smiles, “Good, I think I made the team”

Tiffany squeals of happiness for her friend, “I’m happy for you!”

Taeng’s heart pangs of joy, melting under the happiness the latter was giving him.

“What are you doing here so late?” He asks curiously, seeing Tiffany still had her bag.

 “Oh, Donghae texted me saying to wait for him until tryouts were over” She replies happily.

Taeng’s face fell, his heart started to ache, his happiness was slowly fading away.

“Oh…” He says softly, his eyes becoming hollow.

Tiffany was going to ask something when she sees Donghae exiting the gym door.

 “Tiffany” He says smiling, approaching her.

 Tiffany smiles at the latter then looking at Taeng again.

“You seem tired Taeng, you should go home and rest” Tiffany says caringly as Donghae approaches her side.

Donghae looks at Taeng, “We’ll see you later Taeng”

Taeng remains quiet, his eyes staring at the ground.

Tiffany was oblivious to his character, “Annyeong Taeng” She walks off with Donghae, leaving Taeng alone in the hallway.

Taeng sighs, his heart aching even more, he drags his feet to exit the school. He was already exhausted after trying his hardest; his heartache was making the walk even worse.

 Taeng slowly walks along the sidewalk, thinking about Tiffany along the way. He tried his best for Tiffany’s sake, not his own. The smile on her face when he told her was confident about making the team.

 “Maybe I’m a fool” Taeng says softly to himself.