Breaking Point

Blind

 

Tiffany had been crying all night, pain coursing all over her body. She struggles out of bed, dragging her heavy body to the bathroom. She gazes at her reflection in the mirror, leaning in to observe the red mark that was imprinted on her face. She carefully touches it, wincing in pain as her soft fingers trail over the mark.

Tiffany’s eyes begin to water but she blinks to keep it from falling, her eyes were already puffy enough she couldn’t handle having more tears flow. She does her morning routines, applying a heavy amount of foundation to conceal the slap mark Donghae left yesterday, along with her puffy dark circles.

 She takes a deep breath, gazing at her reflection before heading to school. She drags herself to her desk, her head hung low as she sits down at her chair. Taeng stops his conversation with Jessica and looks at the Tiffany; a smile was on his face.

“Hey Fany-ah,” Taeng greets.

 Tiffany slowly lifts her head, seeing Taeng’s smiling face made her feel a little better. The pain that was relishing in her stomach was slowly washing away.

 Tiffany forces a smile, “Hey Tae…”

 Taeng’s smile fades seeing the fake smile on Tiffany. His body alerts him something was troubling the latter, the hollow look in her eyes and the sad tone in her voice.

 “What’s wrong?” Taeng asks, caringly looking at his best friend.

 Tiffany bites her bottom lip. If you tell Taeng, I’ll only hurt you harder.

“Nothing,” Tiffany quickly replies.

 “You’re lying,” Taeng retorts, a solid look on his face.

 Tiffany shakes her head, “Nothing’s wrong Taeng.”

 Taeng sighs, “I know you’re lying…”

 Tiffany bites her lip harder, “I’m fine Taeng. Really I am.”

 Taeng stares at her, “Are you sure?”

 Tiffany nods, Taeng sighs as he runs a hand through his hair, giving up pursuing any longer.

 “So…did you break up with Donghae? Taeng asks, hopefulness in his tone.

Tiffany’s chest starts to feel heavy, her body sinking from hearing the words.

 “…No,” Tiffany replies quietly, diverting her eyes away from Taeng.

 Taeng’s body tenses, anger boils through his veins, “No?”

 Tiffany looks down, her hair covering her face as she nods.

Taeng clenches his fist, “Are you kidding me?”

Tiffany shakes her head, “I…want to be with him.”

Taeng quickly stands up from his desk, anger jolting throughout his body.

 Jessica worriedly gazes at Taeng, “Taeng…”

Tiffany keeps her head down, tears forming on the brim of her eyes.

Taeng’s tightens his fists, “You want to be with him after everything he’s done to you?”

Tiffany remains quiet; the class settles into an awkward silence, Yoona gazes at Taeng with worry. Jessica’s eyes widen, gazing at both Tiffany and Taeng, biting her lip, she remains quiet.

“He’s changed…” Tiffany states quietly, the lie piercing her harshly.  

Taeng slams his fist on her desk, “That’s a load of bull! You know damn well he hasn’t changed!”

Yoona stands up, slowly walking towards Taeng, “Taeng calm down.”

 Taeng snaps at Yoona, “Stay out of this!”

 Yoona flinches back; he shuts his mouth and takes a step back.

Tiffany lets a tear roll down her cheek, “You don’t understand Taeng…”

 Taeng scoffs, “Understand what? That all this time it was an act? That you’ve only been toying with my emotions to help you feel better? I’m not stupid Tiffany.”

Tiffany slowly looks up, tears slowly falling down her cheek, “It’s not like that Taeng.”

Taeng’s heart starts to ache but he keeps his guard up for his sake of crumbling down.

 “I don’t understand…” Taeng says softly, loosening his body, “You come crying to me about him…And you still stay with him?”

Tiffany remains quiet, wiping the tears that were leaking out of her eyes.

Taeng takes a deep breath, “Whatever. You know what? If you’re happy being treated like trash so be it. But don’t come crying to me anymore. I’ve had enough of this. I’m tired of seeing you hurt over something so meaningless.”

 Jessica touches his arm softly, “Taeng…”

 Taeng looks to his girlfriend, his eyes soften, “I’m sorry…”

 He grabs his bag and heads out the door, leaving behind an awkward atmosphere and a broken Tiffany in tears. Jessica gazes at Tiffany who was silently sobbing; she cringes seeing how much pain she was in.

Jessica leans against her desk, “It’ll be okay…”

 Tiffany chokes through her tears, “He hates me now…I’ve never seen him like that before…”

 Jessica sighs, “None of us did…He reached his breaking point.”

 Tiffany sniffles, “I just don’t understand…”

 “He’s just had enough,” Jessica says, looking at Tiffany with sympathy.

“What does he mean? I’m toying with his emotions?” Tiffany says, struggling through her tears.

Jessica remains quiet, staring at Tiffany who continues crying.

 The latter looks at her softly, “You know…” Tiffany gazes at her, Jessica looks straight into her eyes, “It’s not your eyes that are blind…It’s your heart.”

 Tiffany’s eyes widen, she was taken aback by the latter’s words. She was stunned with no words to say as she watches Jessica stand up from her chair.

“I’m going after him,” Jessica states quietly.

 “Let me come with you,” Yoona says, starting to stand.

 Jessica shakes her head, “No please. Let me go alone.”

Seohyun takes her boyfriend’s hand, giving him an agreed nod.

Yoona sighs, “Okay. Be safe okay?”

Jessica softly smiles, heading out the door to scout for her boyfriend. Tiffany was shocked, the words of the blonde latter echo in her mind.

It’s not your eyes that are blind, it’s your heart.

 She allows more tears fall down her cheek.

 Taeng was sitting underneath a tree; he stares at the blue waters, glares reflecting from the sun. Taeng was upset, hurt and confused all at the same time. How could Tiffany still be with Donghae after everything he’s done to her? Taeng tightens his fists, feeling angry at himself and at Tiffany. He leans his head up against the tree, closing his eyes to calm himself down.

“Hey.”

Taeng opens his eyes, looking over his shoulder and notices the latter walking towards him.

 “Hey…” Taeng replies softly, gazing as the latter takes a seat next to him.

 “What are you doing out here?”

 “I should be asking you that Yul…” Taeng retaliates, sadly chuckling.

 Yul sighs, “I saw you running out the doors. I got worried so I followed you.”

 Taeng chuckles bitterly, returning his gaze to the waters.

“So, what happened?” Yul asks, looking over to his friend.

Taeng sighs, “I reached my breaking point.”

 “Tell me,” Yul replies sincerely.

“She’s still with that bastard,” Taeng says in frustration.

 “Who? Tiffany?”

Taeng nods, resting his hands on his knees as Yul takes a deep breath.

 “You’ve had enough huh?”

Taeng grimaces, “Yeah…” Taeng closes his eyes, “I didn’t want to yell at her…I never meant to hurt her.”

Yul’s face falls, “Hey don’t beat yourself down. You did the right thing; Tiffany needed her eyes to be open.”

Taeng shakes his head, his eyes still closed, “I told myself…I would never let her cry because of me…”

 Yul stares at the ground, pulling his knees up and resting his arms.

“You’re right…” Taeng states, after hearing no response from the latter.

 Yul gazes at him, “About?”

“Feelings,” Taeng starts, “I’ll never stop loving Tiffany…Just like you’ll never stop loving Jessica.”

 Yul remains quiet, his lip pursing as he leans against the tree.

“But…Jessica…” Taeng starts to say.

 “No I understand,” Yul says, cutting him off.

Taeng opens his eyes, gazing over to the latter.

“Jessica is…amazing,” Yul says, a sad smile on his face, “You’re lucky to have her. Don’t let the feelings of Tiffany blind you.”

 Taeng was awestruck; he sadly smiles; staring with compassion at his friend.

“How can you say this to me when you’re madly in love with Jessica?” Taeng asks softly, leaning back his head.

Yul softly smiles, “Like I said…You’re a brother to me. Brother’s fight but in the end they’ll always be brothers. No matter what happens.”

Taeng gazes at the latter, warmly smiling.

He clasps his shoulder, “You really are a great friend you know that?”

Yul chuckles softly, “Thanks. Everything will be okay. I promise.”

 “I hope,” Taeng replies, staring off into the waters again.

Yul and Taeng said no more words to each other; they sat in peace watching the water’s create small waves.

Little did they know someone heard their whole conversation a small distance away.