Taken

Blind

 

“Are you okay Taeng?” Mr. Kim asks his son as they were eating breakfast.

He barely touched his food and he was unusually quiet. Taeng doesn’t respond to his dad, he remains staring at the table with his chopsticks hanging loosely from his hand.

Mrs. Kim looks at her son, “Are you feeling sick?” She puts her hand up to his forehead, feeling to see if he had a fever.

“I’m fine umma, and yes I’m okay appa.” Taeng answers softly, eating again to reassure them.

“How’s Tiffany?” Mr. Kim asks smiling.

Taeng’s body felt like he was deflating, he didn’t want to think or talk about the mentioned latter.

 I’m glad I have a friend like you Taeng.

Those words were stuck in his mind, playing and rewinding repeatedly. His assumption was right; he’s nothing but a friend to her.

 “She’s good.” Taeng replies softly, setting his chopsticks down.

“You want to hear something funny?” Mr. Kim asks, trying to lighten his son’s mood. “Mr. Hwang and I work together, I found out when he came into my office.”

 Mrs. Kim chuckles, “What a coincidence.”

His father laughs, “You’re telling me. We caught up over coffee and talked about having a family barbeque soon.”

 Taeng cringes, “Family barbeque?”

The latter nods happily, “It’s going to be a reunion of the Kim and Hwang family.”

Mrs. Kim’s eyes light up, taking a liking to the idea her husband shared.

 “That’s going to be fun.” His mother says, standing up from her chair to clean up the table.

Taeng remains quiet and in his seat, he wasn’t thrilled about the plans his father talked about. By then Donghae and Tiffany will probably be dating, meaning he’s going to come along with her everywhere she goes.

 Not only will Taeng won’t be able to talk to her but he won’t be able to stand the sight of them acting like a couple. Taeng sighs, thanking his parents before heading upstairs to shower.

After taking his shower he slips on jeans and a V-neck sweater and hangs up his towel. His phone starts ringing; he walks over to the nightstand and sees Yoona calling him.

 “Yeoboseyo.” Taeng says placidly, walking over to sit on the corner of his bed.

 “Taeng! Are you busy today?” Yoona says on the other line.

“I don’t think so.” He replies coolly, staring at the wall.

“Let’s go out! I’ll call up the others.” The latter says excitedly.

“Where?” Taeng asks, fixing the sleeve of his sweater.

“We can figure that out later…” Yoona grows quiet; nothing was heard on the other line.

“Yoona?” Taeng asks, looking at the screen of the phone to see if Yoona was still connected.

“Do you want me to invite Tiffany?” The latter asks softly.

 Taeng holds his breath; he wasn’t sure how to respond to that question. It was bittersweet, he wanted to see Tiffany but at the same time he didn’t want to see her at all. The images replay in his head of what happened yesterday. His heart starts to ache just thinking about it. Yoona is the only person who knows what happened yesterday, after coming home heartbroken Taeng had to pour out his feelings to his best friend. Yoona wanted to ask Taeng first to save him from another heartache. He couldn’t stand seeing his friend hurt.

Taeng sighs, running his free hand through his hair “I’ll let you decide on that.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yeah, if you do invite her I’ll just play charades like I always do.” Taeng says sadly.

“Taeng…” Yoona says quietly, feeling bad for his friend.

“It’s game over Yoona, I’ll be fine don’t worry” He replies darkly, clutching his chest.

“Taeng don’t be so discouraged,” The latter replies trying to cheer him up.

 “It’s okay Yoona, if she’s happy…I’m happy” Taeng chuckles bitterly.

“Alright…I’ll see if she’s available. Come over now, I’ll call up the others once you’re here.”

Taeng gets up from his bed, “Okay. I’ll see you later.” He ends the call and heads downstairs.

“Umma, appa I’m going out with friends.” Taeng says, seeing his parents sitting on the couch.

“Okay, be safe.” His mother says smiling.

 “Don’t be out too late.” Mr. Kim says sternly, looking at his son with seriousness.

“Of course appa, I’ll see you later.” Taeng replies, putting on his shoes and heads out the door.

“Yeoboseyo?”

 “Tiffany, are you free today? The gang wants to hang out.”

 Tiffany bites her bottom lip hearing the offer from Yoona. She had already made plans with Donghae but she felt guilty realizing how she has been rejecting her friends lately. She’s been with Donghae for the past month and not once has she contacted her group. Tiffany remains quiet for a while, not answering the latter’s question on the phone.

She hears a sigh on the other end, “You’re hanging out with Donghae today huh?”

 “Yes…” Tiffany replies softly, twirling the end of her hair with her free hand.

 “Why did I bother asking…” Yoona says sighing.

 Tiffany felt hurt hearing those words; she didn’t mean to upset the latter. “I’m sorry…maybe next time? I promise to hang out with you guys the next time you ask” Tiffany reassures, biting her lip again.

 “Yeah if we even ask you.” Yoona retorts, ending the call between them.

 Tiffany sighs, feeling hurt and guilty. She sits on her bed quietly before looking at her phone again; she quickly sets up a text message.

“What are your plans today?” She sends the message, placing her phone in her pocket and heads downstairs to wait for Donghae.

Her phone beeps off and Tiffany quickly pulls it out from her pocket.

“Hanging with the group.”

 “Where are you guys going?” She replies, gripping the phone tightly.

 The device makes a sound; she quickly opens the incoming message.

“I don’t know.”

Tiffany was starting to feel hurt again, the latter would never reply to her like this.

 “Can you find out?” She replies, desperately wanting to know.

“Why do you want to know?”

 “I can’t?”

“We’re just at Yoona’s house right now; we haven’t decided where to go yet”

 “Let me know when you do.”

The doorbell rings and Tiffany makes her way to the white door. She slowly opens it, revealing a charming Donghae in front of her.

“Hey Tiffany.” He says, looking at her with awe.

 “Hello Donghae.” She replies smiling.

 “You ready to go?” He asks, shoving his hands in his pockets.

 “Uhm yeah let me just-” Her phone cuts her off; she quickly opens the text message. Tiffany silently reads before looking at Donghae.

“Think we can change our plans?” She asks, her phone still in her hands.

 Donghae gives her a puzzling look, “What do you mean?”

 “Can we go to the mall?” Tiffany asks, hoping Donghae will agree.

“Why?” The latter questions, still giving her the same look.

 “Can we please?” Tiffany says, ignoring his question.

Donghae sighs, “Okay. Let’s go.”

 Tiffany smiles, clapping her hands in happiness.

“Dude, I can’t believe you told Tiffany where we are.” Yul says to Taeng as the group enters the mall.

“I couldn’t help it…” Taeng replies softly, staring down at his phone.

Taeng couldn’t find it in him to deny Tiffany, no matter how much heartache she puts him through.

Yul sighs, “I know. But you can’t keep this game of charades going forever…”

“If it puts a smile on her face then I can continue it forever.” Taeng says quietly, putting his phone in his pocket.

Yul doesn’t reply, he walks in silence next to him as the group walks around.

 “I’m in the mood for a smoothie.” Seohyun says, eyeing the smoothie stand.

Yoona smiles, “Then let’s all go get a smoothie.”

Seohyun claps her hands in happiness; the group walks over to the small stand, ordering their smoothies one by one.

 “Strawberry banana.” Taeng says to the cashier, dorkily smiling.

He pays the cashier the amount needed and goes to his friends to wait.

“There you guys are!” They all turn their head in unison hearing someone yelling.

“Oh man…” Yoona says quietly.

 Tiffany and Donghae approach the group, a smile on Tiffany’s face. Everyone awkwardly smiles, seeing the two in front of them. Taeng turns around and faces the stand, pretending he didn’t hear a thing.

 “I thought you were hanging with Donghae today…” Yoona asks awkwardly, rubbing the back of his neck.

“I am but I wanted to stop by here first to hang out with you guys!” Tiffany replies happily.

The atmosphere grows awkward, even the girls of the group were pretending to cough.

“What’s wrong?” Tiffany asks, sensing the group’s off character.

“Oh! Our smoothies!” Seohyun exclaims, diverting the groups’ attention away from Tiffany.

They pick up their smoothies one by one, Taeng grabbing his last.

 “How did you know we were going to be here?” Sunny asks, taking a sip of her beverage.

 “I texted Taeng to tell me where you guys’ were going.” Tiffany replies, eyeing Taeng.

Taeng slowly turns around, the group had their eyes on him in a surprised manner.

Taeng slowly nods, “Yeah I hope you guys don’t mind…”

“Of course we don’t. We’re just surprised that Tiffany actually wants to hang out with us.” Jessica replies bluntly, looking at the cup in her hands.

Tiffany cringes; the ice princess’ harsh words were stinging her.

“Well anyways.” Donghae inputs “Are we going to walk around or what?”

Hyoyeon nods to the latter’s question, “I guess.”

They slowly begin walking, making their way from store to store. Tiffany was walking next to Donghae, she looks back and sees Taeng having a lively conversation with the group. She bites her bottom lip, feeling left out.

 “Hey Tiffany, we’re heading in this store!” Sunny yells out to her, entering the store with the rest of the group.

Tiffany quickly turns around, seeing how far away she was walking from them and quickly drags Donghae into the store.

“This one or this one Taeng?” Jessica asks him, holding up two tops.

Taeng eyes both of them carefully, “I like the blue one.”

Jessica smiles, hanging up the other top “Blue one it is then.”

She presses the top against her torso, “Do I look good in blue?”

“I think you look good in any color.” Taeng replies warmly smiling.

Jessica blushes, punching Taeng’s arm playfully. Tiffany watches them and remains quiet seeing the two interact so closely.  

Taeng chuckles; Yoona wraps his arm around his neck, “Since when did you become a fashion guru?”

Taeng swats his arm, “Yah!”

 Jessica chuckles seeing the two act in a playful manner.

 Donghae sighs, feeling bored that he had to accompany Tiffany here. He wanted it just to be them two but he couldn’t say no to her.

He hated seeing Taeng in his sights, it was already worse enough they’re on the same team. He knows Taeng has a crush on Tiffany, the way he looks at her gives it away. Luckily for him, Tiffany was oblivious to his feelings.

“Are you okay?” Tiffany asks him, seeing the troubled look on Donghae.

The latter nods, “Can we leave now? There’s something I need to say.”

Tiffany sighs, “Why? We practically just got here.”

“They’re not even talking to us; they’re all doing their own things.” He grumbles, crossing his arms.

“Fine, we’ll leave after a couple more stores.” Tiffany replies in annoyance.

She turns away from him and walks towards the girls who were busy searching through the sale rack. Taeng was with them as well, the girls dragged him to be their fashion guru.

 Yul and Yoona laugh at him, seeing Taeng being toppled with shirts and pants.

 “That’s a lot of clothes you’re buying.” Tiffany teases her friend, his arms carrying a lot of clothes.

“Aigoo, I always get dragged into this.” Taeng says sighing.

Tiffany chuckles, “You have to admit you make a great fashion guru. You have a great sense of style.”

Taeng’s heart melts hearing the latter’s flattering words, his heart skipping a beat.

“Thanks Tiffany.” He replies, genuinely smiling.

“You never call me it anymore.” Tiffany says quietly, looking at the floor.

“What?” He asks curiously.

 “Fany-ah.” She replies softly.

Taeng’s wasn’t sure how to react; his mind was boggling on what the latter said.

 “Sorry, I just find it weird to call you that now.” Taeng says through his teeth.

The words stung Tiffany, her body was feeling weak hearing the latter’s words.

“Weird?” She asks softly.

Taeng cringes seeing his words hurt the latter, “Not weird in a bad way. I just think that I should stop calling you that. We’ve grown up; I think the nickname should be left in the past.”

 Tiffany holds back the tears that were b in her eyes, she never thought Taeng would say that to her.

Was it because she forgot about him? Was it too painful to call someone a past name to a person who didn’t remember you?

“I see…” Tiffany says quietly, turning around and walking away from Taeng.

Taeng sighs, “Aish I’m an idiot.” He looks at her walking away, regretting the words he said.

 Tiffany walks to the girls at the cash register, “Hey I think I’m going to go now.”

 They all turn around and look at her, “Okay. See you later.”

The pained feeling crawls back on Tiffany, she was starting to think her friends hated her. She felt worse enough, maybe this was how her friends were feeling every time she rejected their offer.

Tiffany sighs, waving goodbye to them before locating Donghae.

“There you are.” He says smiling.

“Hey let’s go.” Tiffany mumbles, taking his hand and exiting the store.

 Taeng watches the two go, hand in hand, his heart taking another stab.

Donghae leads Tiffany to a park, underneath a tall tree that shades them from the sun. Tiffany was quiet the walk there, her mind was boggling of how hurt she was from the way her friends have been treating her lately. She couldn’t find it in her to blame them though, because she knows it’s her fault for rejecting them.

She snaps out of her thoughts when she feels someone grab her hand. She looks at Donghae, he was smiling warmly at her.

 “Tiff, you never replied…” He says softly, holding her hand.

 Tiffany bites her bottom lip, “Replied to what?”

“My confession, I really like you Tiffany. I want to call you mine.” He replies, staring affectionately into her eyes.

 Tiffany’s heart skips a beat, her stomach turns light, and a smile was forming on her face.

The problems washing away.

“I like you too Donghae…” She says softly, smiling with joy.

“Will you be my girlfriend?” He asks, taking both her hands into his.

Tiffany’s eyes widen, her heart explodes of happiness, she couldn’t contain how happy she was hearing the latter’s question.

 “Yes, I would love to be your girlfriend.” She replies happily, a warm fuzzy feeling overtaking her body.

Donghae smiles, cupping her face with his hand. Tiffany stares at him with pure joy, she sees Donghae closing his eyes. The space between them was growing thin; Donghae wraps his arms around her waist and pulls her into a passionate kiss. Fireworks explode inside of her; she slowly closes her eyes and returns the kiss. They part lips and Tiffany had a smile plastered on her face.

“I’m so happy to be yours.” She says softly, taking the opportunity to kiss her boyfriend again.