Confused

Blind

 

After school, Tiffany bid her friends goodbye and rushed home. Today was the day she was going to introduce Donghae to her mother, maybe her father if he was home. Their relationship has skyrocketed the past days and she begged him to have dinner with her family after basketball practice. She enters her house, removing her shoes, and heads to the kitchen. Her mother was washing the dishes, humming a melody to herself.

 “Umma!” She yells, causing her mother to flinch.

 “Aish, Tiffany don’t do that!” She scolds, wiping her hands on the towel.

 “Sorry…Umma, are you going to cook dinner soon?” She asks, containing her excitement.

“Eventually, why?” Her mother asks, walking over to the fridge.

 “Because I have a special visitor coming over in two hours and he’s going to be joining us for dinner.” She states happily.

Mrs. Hwang’s eyes widen, “He? Miyoung Hwang, who is this ‘he’ that is coming over?”

“You will know soon,” Tiffany chirps, her tone higher than normal.

 Before Mrs. Hwang had a chance to ask another question, her daughter runs upstairs to her room.

“Could it be…” Mrs. Hwang ponders to herself. Her eyes sparkle, “Is she dating Taeng?!” She jumps up and down in excitement, grinning of happiness. “I have to prepare the best meal,” She says to herself, containing herself and heads to the fridge to prepare dinner.

 Tiffany was standing in front of her closet; she was deciding what to wear. She wanted tonight to run smoothly. She was in high hopes her mother was going to approve of Donghae, a smile was on her face as she pulls out her outfit. Time passes by and Tiffany heads downstairs, a mouthwatering aroma wafting through her nose.

“Mm, what did you cook umma?” Tiffany asks as she enters the kitchen.

 “Only the best of my abilities,” Her mom replies confidently yet dorkily.

Tiffany laughs, kissing her mother’s cheek before admiring all the delicious foods that was placed on the table. Tiffany was excited, growing in anticipation for Donghae to ring the doorbell any minute.

Tiffany jumps from her chair hearing the door bell, a smile was on her face. “I’ll get it, it’s probably him,” Tiffany says happily, heading to the door. She quickly opens the door, Donghae smiles seeing his beautiful girlfriend in front of him.

“Hey,” He greets, kissing her cheek.

 “Hi Donghae, my mom’s in the kitchen,” She states, grabbing his hand and leading him through her house.

Mrs. Hwang quickly stands up and fixes her hair, hearing footsteps she puts a smile on her face.

 “Umma,” Tiffany enters the kitchen, another boy trailing behind her.

Mrs. Hwang’s smile fades, looking at the young boy who was standing next to her daughter.

“Umma, this is my boyfriend Donghae,” Tiffany says happily.

 Donghae smiles, walking over to Mrs. Hwang and extends his hand. “Hello Mrs. Hwang, it’s a pleasure to meet you.”

Mrs. Hwang doesn’t shake his hand; a disgusted look was plastered on her face.

 Donghae awkwardly retracts his hand, returning it awkwardly to his side.

“This is your boyfriend?” Mrs. Hwang asks viciously.

Tiffany’s eyes widen, “Yes?”

 Mrs. Hwang stares at the boy, she points a finger in his face “I don’t like you.”

Tiffany runs to Donghae’s side, “Umma!”

 Her mother shakes her head, her eyes piercing Donghae “You’re nothing like him.”

 Donghae gulps, fear growing in his body.

 Tiffany glares at her mother, “Umma stop.”

Mrs. Hwang sighs, disappointment fills her body, “Go eat. I’ll join you later.”

 She leaves the two teens and heads to the living room, her mind boggling of the event that just happened.

“I have a feeling that didn’t go well,” Donghae says, awkwardly chuckling.

 “I’m sorry. I don’t know what’s gotten over her,” Tiffany replies sadly.

 She was mad; she doesn’t understand why her mother would say such things.

“Hey it’s okay, I think that’s how all moms are. I just have to win her affections,” Donghae replies calmly, reassuring his girlfriend.

Tiffany sighs, “I just wanted her to like you immediately.”

 Donghae cups her face, “It’s fine. You’re worth having a mom that hates me.”

Tiffany smiles, looking deep in the latter’s eyes. He was about to kiss her but they were interrupted by a cough. Donghae quickly pulls away; Tiffany looks over and sees her mother staring at them.

“No kissing in my house. Sit down and let’s eat,” Mrs. Hwang says sternly, grabbing her chair to sit.

Donghae and Tiffany gather around the table, awkwardly scooping rice on their plates.

 “So Donghae, tell me your future plans,” Mrs. Hwang asks bluntly, breaking apart her chopsticks.

“Uhm I’m actually not sure yet,” Donghae answers, taking a piece of meat.

 “Says a lot about you…” Her mother murmurs, beginning to eat.

“Umma…” Tiffany says quietly to her mother, anger in her tone.

 After an awkward dinner, Donghae decides to head home seeing that Mrs. Hwang wasn’t taking a liking to him.

“Well thank you for the dinner Mrs. Hwang, it was very delicious,” Donghae says politely.

“Of course it was; you think I can’t cook?” Mrs. Hwang retaliates.

Donghae’s eyes widen in shock, Tiffany pushes Donghae to the front door before she lost control of herself. She wanted to scream at her mother’s rude actions and the way she treated her boyfriend.

 “Well that didn’t go well,” Tiffany says sadly.

The latter chuckles, trying to liven up his girlfriend “It’s fine. Like I said, it’ll take time. Thanks again for having me over.”

“Of course, be careful walking home,” Tiffany says, smiling affectionately.

Donghae leans in to kiss his girlfriend.

 “Ahem.”

 He retreats, seeing Mrs. Hwang staring at him with daggers in her eyes.

“Good night,” He says quickly, putting on his shoes and heads out the door.

 Tiffany turns around and faces her mother, staring at her angrily.

 “I can’t believe you” Tiffany says angrily, fumes blowing out through her ears.

 Mrs. Hwang looks at her daughter caringly, “Miyoung…do you really like him?”

She nods, “I do umma. You’re going to have to accept him.”

Mrs. Hwang sighs, accepting defeat as Tiffany shoves past her and heads to her room. Mrs. Hwang frantically bites her nails, staring at her daughter’s door. She heads to the kitchen, picks up her home phone and quickly dials a number.

 

 

“Yeoboseyo?”  Mrs. Kim answers cheerfully.

 “Are you aware that Tiffany has a boyfriend?” She hears her friend say with annoyance.

Mrs. Kim’s eyes widen, “No I’m not.”

 “I was so excited when she told me she had a boyfriend…” Mrs. Kim hears a sigh on the other end “I thought it was Taeng…turned out to be a guy named Donghae.”

 “Omo that’s upsetting,” Mrs. Kim replies. She too was hoping her son would be dating Tiffany; after all they practically grew up together.

 “That explains why Taeng has been acting so differently…” Mrs. Kim says quietly to her friend.

“Aish really?”

 “Yes, he’s always in a somber mood. He sulks around the house, I was worried that he was growing sick…but I think I know the real reason now.”

 “Tiffany is so blind!” The latter yells, groaning in annoyance.

 “Patience is a virtue,” Mrs. Kim states “All we can do is play the waiting game.”

 She hears a sigh, “I suppose.”

 Mrs. Kim chuckles, “I wish you luck.”

 “I’ll try my best. Good night, we should get a coffee soon.”

 Mrs. Kim warmly smiles, “Yes! We’ll plan that soon. Good night.”

 She ends the call and heads to the living room, as she lounges on the couch, Taeng walks down the stairs dressed in casual clothes.

“Are you going out Taeng?” She asks, seeing how Taeng was dressed nicely.

 Taeng nods, “Is that okay?”

Mrs. Kim walks over to him and fixes his collar, “Yes. Don’t be out too late though.”

Taeng smiles, “Of course.”

 His mother looks at his face, “Are you okay Taeng?”

Taeng gives a puzzling look, “Yes umma.” He walks over to the shoe rack to put on his shoes.

 “Did you hear that Tiffany’s dating a boy named Donghae?” She asks, watching her son slip on his shoes.

Taeng looks up and gazes at his mother, “Yes I did umma.”

 “How do you feel about that?” She asks nonchalantly, wanting to know the feelings of her son.

Taeng shrugs, “It’s whatever,” He looks at the time “I have to get going umma I’ll see you later.” He unlocks the door, smiling warmly at his mother before heading out.

 Mrs. Kim stares at the door, “Aigoo Kim Taeng…always hiding your pain with a smile”

 

“You ready to go?” Taeng asks excitedly, smiling.

“Let me just get my bag,” Jessica replies happily, heading inside her house.

“Okay, take your time,” He says warmly.

She slightly closes the door, running upstairs to retrieve her bag. Taeng waits patiently, leaning against the wall and gazing inside her house through the small crack. The door swings open, Taeng quickly stands straight, however it wasn’t Jessica standing in front of him.

 “Oh annyeong,” He greets politely, bowing in front of the young latter.

“Who are you?” She asks coldly.

Taeng flinches, “Uhm I’m Kim Taeng. I’m a friend of Jessica.”

The latter opens the door fully, staring at Taeng from head to toe.

“So you’re Taeng…” She says softly.

Taeng nods, “Yes. May I ask who you are?”

 “I’m Krystal, I’m Jessica unnie’s little sister,” She says, her cold stature turning into a friendlier one.

Taeng smiles, “I didn’t know Jessica had a sister. Nice to meet you.”

“She never mentioned me?!” She gasps, feeling offended.

 Taeng rubs the back of his head, “No I’m sorry. But I’m glad I was able to meet you.”

 Krystal smiles, “You’re a nice guy…Good looking too.”

 Taeng chuckles awkwardly, “Thanks.”

 “No wonder she likes you,” She murmurs quietly.

 “What? I’m sorry I didn’t hear you,” Taeng replies.

The latter shakes her head, “It’s nothing. I was just thinking of something.”

 Jessica arrives at the door; she looks at Krystal “Did you intimidate him?”

Krystal groans, “No unnie. I was just getting to know him…you know, since you never told him about me.”

Taeng laughs, Jessica grows red. She swats her sister’s arm, “Yah! I was going too eventually.”

 The young latter fans her hand, “Yeah yeah,” She pushes Jessica out the door, “You two kids have fun!”

Before Jessica had the chance to speak Krystal had already closed the door. Taeng laughs, seeing Jessica wrinkle her nose in frustration.

“I’m sorry about her…” Jessica says, placing her hand against her forehead.

Taeng chuckles, “It’s okay, she’s like a mini Jessica.”

 Jessica swats his arm, sticking her tongue out. Taeng chuckles again, allowing some silence to seep in as they walk to the designated restaurant.

 “So why did you call me for dinner?” Jessica asks curiously as they slide in the booth.

Taeng shrugs cutely, “I can’t ask the ice princess for a nice dinner?”

 Jessica chuckles, “I mean…I guess.”

 Taeng laughs, “I even told you last night I wanted to have dinner with you again…just the two of us.”

Jessica bites her bottom lip, “Yeah, I remember.”

Taeng dorkily smiles, staring affectionately at the flustered latter. The waiter drops by and brings them their menus, taking their order for drinks in the process.

 “What should I get?” Taeng says to himself, scanning the menu. Jessica does the same action, her mind pondering on what to get “I think I’ll get…japchae.”

 Taeng looks up from his menu, “I was going to order that too.”

 Jessica smiles, “Great minds think alike.”

 Taeng chuckles, “I’ll say.”

 They place their orders; Taeng takes a sip of his water and stares at the beauty in front of him.

Jessica gives him a puzzling look, “What?”

Taeng shakes his head, “Nothing…you’re just really pretty.”

 Jessica blushes; her face growing hot and flustered hearing the latter’s complimenting words.

“T-thank you,” She says awkwardly, taking a sip of her water to calm her down.

Taeng laughs, “I’m sorry I didn’t mean to make things awkward. You are really pretty though.”

Jessica shakes her head, “N-no you didn’t make things awkward. You just caught me off guard.”

 Taeng slowly nods his head, “Can I ask you something?”

Jessica gazes at him, “Of course.”

 He picks a crack on the table, “Do you…like anyone?”

Jessica holds in her breath, her heart begins pumping like crazy, her mind was beginning to swirl.

 “W-why do you ask?” She stutters, her mind not cooperating with .

Taeng shrugs, “I’m just wondering…” He trails off, continuing to pick the crack and staring at it with full force.

 Jessica bites her bottom lip, “Yes…”

 Taeng jerks up and gazes at the latter, “You do?”

“Yeah,” She says quietly “But he likes someone else.”

 Taeng’s face falls, “Oh really?” He couldn’t help but wonder who Jessica likes, a feeling in his gut starts to rise and stab at him.

The latter nods, playing with her hands in her lap.

Taeng sighs, “That feeling huh?”

Jessica bites her lip harder, “Yeah…”

 Taeng grabs her hand under the table and squeezes it; “He’s lucky to be liked by a great girl like you.”

Jessica jolts up and looks at Taeng with shocked eyes. Her heart skips a beat, Taeng’s warm hand in hers made her feel light again.

Jessica smiles softly, “Thank you…But he’ll never like me.”

 Taeng retracts his hand, “You never know…Maybe he’s tired of not being liked back too.”

 Jessica’s eyes widen hearing his words, her heart was pumping irrationally. Before she had the chance to talk the waiter delivers their food, Taeng quickly wipes his utensils and begins eating. Leaving a dumbfounded Jessica with confused emotions. They finish their meals in silence, Taeng pays for their meals and they exit to take a walk.

Taeng shoves his hands in his pockets; Jessica remains quiet as she stares at the concrete sidewalk.

 “Do you still have feelings for her?” Jessica asks quietly, keeping her eyes on the gray road.

Taeng gazes at her, “Who?”

 “Tiffany.”

 Taeng sighs, “It’s complicated…I still have feelings for her. But at the same time I keep telling myself to move on.”

 Jessica doesn’t respond, her eyes were kept still on the road ahead. Taeng wasn’t sure what to do or say to the latter, something about her made him wary of his word choice. He didn’t want to upset her nor did he want her leave his side. His emotions were getting the best of him. When he’s with Jessica he feels comfortable, he feels as if he can talk to her about anything. Their relationship has gotten friendlier but sometimes Taeng feels as if there’s something more between them. His heart begins to pang, creating a steady yet light beat.

 I like you Jessica…

But…

Am I only feeling this way because Tiffany is no longer mine?