Crumbling

Blind

 

Taeng was sitting at his desk silently taking notes as Mrs. Lee lectures. The scribble of pencils fill the room, Taeng scrunches his face; feeling his hand cramp. He drops the pencil, shaking his hand to give a short break from the tedious note taking. He looks over to Jessica, a concentrated look on her face.

Taeng’s softly gazes at her, holding his hand with the other. Lately Jessica has been growing distant; she doesn’t act her usual self whenever she’s with Taeng. He was growing worried, he hope he didn’t do anything wrong to her.

 It’s been two weeks since Jessica asked him if he’s happy with her and since then she’s been acting different. Taeng bites his bottom lip, his eyes kept on the latter, he watches as she intently takes notes.  Taeng feels stares from the back of his head; he shakes it off, already knowing whose pair of eyes was on him.

Tiffany’s crushed, feeling a stab that Taeng had been ignoring her for so long already. She missed him, a lot, what she wanted to do most was talk to him.

 But she knew she lost her chance.

The bell rings dismissing class, Mrs. Lee warmly smiles at her class.

“Have a good winter break everybody; I’ll see you all on the new year!”

Today was the last day of the term, winter break has started and Sone High has a two week break.

Yoona stretches as he gets up from his seat, “Geez, these months pass by quickly. Christmas is already around the corner.”

Taeng chuckles, “Yeah. That was quick.”

 The gang make their way to the gates of the school, Tiffany lagging behind feeling unsure and out of place.

Taeng takes Jessica hand in his, “We should all do something during break.”

Tiffany gazes at him, wondering if “all” included her.

Yul nods, “We could go to the mountains and head to the ski resort.”

Sooyoung’s eyes brighten, “Oh we should! I’ve never been skiing, I was always afraid.”

 Sunny nods, “I agree. We should plan on that.”

 Yoona smiles, “Okay. It’s a plan.” He gazes at Tiffany, “You’re coming right Tiffany?”

 Tiffany looks at the latter with an uncertain face, “Sure…”

 A tight grip wraps around Tiffany’s wrist, the pain sears through her arm. She turns around, Donghae eyes her coldly.

“Let’s go,” Donghae murmurs bluntly, pulling Tiffany away from the group.

She reluctantly follows, not wanting to cause a disturbance to her friends.

Along with not seeing the look on Taeng’s face.

The group watches as Donghae forcefully drags her away from them, a frown on each of their faces.

“Geez, what’s gotten into him?” Hyoyeon asks, crossing her arms.

Yoona sighs, “It’s a long complicated story.” He turns his head to the group and notices Taeng and Jessica’s presence absent. “Hey where did they go?” Yoona asks, pointing to where they stood.

Yul rubs his neck, “Taeng left and dragged Jessica with him.”

Yoona shakes his head, “Everything is crumbling down.”

 

Taeng sighs as he releases Jessica’s hand; the anger that was boiling in him was simmering down. Jessica gazes at him, seeing the frustrated look on her boyfriend’s face, she turns to him and inches closer to him.

“Do you hate her?” She asks softly, looking at Taeng’s face.

 Taeng shakes his head, “No of course I don’t. I’m just frustrated.”

 Jessica wraps her arms around Taeng’s torso, leaning her head against his chest.

“I understand,” Jessica states softly, “You have every right to be irritated.”

 Taeng sighs again, wrapping Jessica in his arms, “It just doesn’t make sense.”

 “What?”

 He lays his head on top of hers, “Why she’s still with him. Are girls attracted to s?”

Jessica softly chuckles, “I’m not sure how to answer that question.”

 Taeng chuckles along with her, he settles into a pleasant silence.

Jessica releases her grasp around Taeng, looking down to the floor. Taeng was taken aback, missing the presence of having Jessica in his arms.

“I’m glad Yul’s not mad at me anymore…” Jessica states calmly, her eyes on the gray cement.

Taeng gazes at her, “He was never mad at you. He was mad at me.”

“Yeah but he ignored me, it hurts a lot seeing one of my best friend’s ignore me,” Jessica replies, taking a deep breath.

Taeng cringes hearing his girlfriend’s words, knowing that he’s ignoring Tiffany caused an ache to his heart.

“Jessica can I ask you something?” Taeng asks, softly looking at her.

 Jessica slowly looks up to him, “Of course.”

“Did I do something wrong?” Taeng says quietly, his face soft.

Jessica’s eyes widen, “Why would you ask that?”

 Taeng sighs, “You’ve been growing distant lately. You’ve been acting different.”

Jessica bites her bottom lip, “No you didn’t do anything wrong Taeng…”

Taeng tilts his head, “Then…What’s going on?”

Jessica remains quiet, kicking her feet against the sidewalk with her hands remaining on her side.

 The latter shakes her head, “Can you take me home?”

 Taeng’s face falls, feeling hurt the latter ignored his question, “Already? I was hoping to spend a little more time with you.”

 Jessica bites her lip harder, “I just remembered I have to run errands.”

Taeng sadly smiles, “Okay…”

You’re always saying ‘you have to run errands’ but are you telling me the truth?

Taeng slowly walks with Jessica to her front door, his sad smile still on his face.

“I’ll see you later okay?” Taeng says softly, squeezing her hand.

 Jessica smiles, “Yeah…” She kisses his cheek, quickly heading inside her house after.

Taeng sighs, “You never kiss me anymore…”

He somberly turns around; stuffing his hands in pocket and drags himself home. He shivers, feeling the cool wind blow softly against him as he walks. He keeps his eyes on the sidewalk; the same gray color every step.

Taeng lets out a breath, lifting his head up to view the scenery. He stops in his tracks, his eyes pierced on the people in front of him a distance away.

Taeng keeps his eyes on the couple, Tiffany and Donghae, watching as they interact.

The ache in his heart returns along with the burning anger. He clenches his fist, his eyes watching as Donghae pulls Tiffany closer to him.

Taeng quickly turns around, not wanting to see anymore, he takes a deep breath.

 The anger was boiling in him; he clenches his fist tighter and closes his eyes.

“Calm down Taeng,” He says to himself, taking another deep breath.

Taeng shakes his head, walking down the street away from the couple.

 Taeng releases his fists, relaxing his hands and stuffing them in his pocket.

“You must really like him…” Taeng says softly as he walks down the street, distancing himself from the couple.

He couldn’t stand seeing them together, but little did he know he missed the pain inflicted on Tiffany and the tears running down her cheeks.