Level Complete

Blind

 

“Annyeong class, let’s get started. Please take out your handout that I passed out yesterday” Mrs. Lee instructs. The class takes out the handout, preparing themselves for class. The sounds of quiet whispers and the rustling of papers were the only noises being projected.

 “Hey where’s Taeng?” Sooyoung whispers to Yoona.

 Yoona shrugs, “I’m not sure. I’ll text him” He sneakily takes out his phone, “Hey man, where are you? You realize school is in session right?” He clicks send and stashes his phone in his pocket before the teacher spots him.

While the class was busy taking notes, Tiffany was too busy in her own world.

I remember him. Kim Taeng.

Tiffany stares at the brown surface in front of her, tapping her pencil against the surface. She looks to where Jessica was sitting and glances at the empty seat next to her. Where is he?

“Jessica” Tiffany whispers, hoping the latter hears her.

Jessica turns around, “What?”

 “Where’s Taeng?”

 The latter shrugs, “How am I supposed to know?”

Tiffany rolls her eyes, “You’re always with him. So I figured you keep a tab on him”

 Jessica’s scoffs, “Whatever. I don’t know where he is.”

 Tiffany chuckles; not taking the ice princess’ attitude seriously. She starts to drift back into her world again, thinking about Taeng. She looks over to Yoona, his head was down but a bright light was shining on his face. She her head and notices he was on his phone texting.

He’s probably texting Taeng.

She sighs, leaning against her hand supported by her elbow.

The bell rings for lunch, the teacher and some of the students leave the room. Tiffany was about to grab her lunch out of her bag when she feels a presence in front of her.

She looks up to see Yoona staring her down, “Come with me”

Tiffany’s eyebrow raises, “Where?”

 “The rooftop” He replies bluntly.

“Why?” She questions, curiosity growing inside.

“I want to ask you something”

 “Ask me right now”

Yoona sighs, “Just come with me”

“I don’t understand. Why don’t you just-Yoona!” She was cut short because he grabs her wrist and drags her out the door.

The gang looks at them clueless, Yoona waves at them.

 “We’ll be right back. I need Tiffany to accompany me to the lunch truck” He lies, pulling Tiffany.

She tries to fight back, but Yoona only tightens his grip. After useless attempts, Tiffany finally gives in to Yoona, slowly following him as he keeps his grip around her wrist. They open the doors revealing the empty rooftop, the sun blazing down on the gray cement ground. Yoona releases his grasp on Tiffany and faces her.

 “So…what’s your question?” Tiffany asks coldly, not appreciating how Yoona wasn’t gentle.

 “Kim Taeng” He says monotonously.

 Tiffany’s eyes widen, “What about him?”

“Is there something between you and Taeng I don’t know about?” Yoona asks, playing charades.

 He remembers the deal he made with Taeng but he wants to receive information if Taeng was right about Tiffany starting to remember him.

“W-what do you mean?” She asks frantically.

“I mean…This is just from observation, but…I feel as if you already knew Taeng” He replies coolly.

 Tiffany was shocked; her face was starting to turn hot. She was taken aback at how correct the latter was through his observations, her mind was boggling.

 “Yoona…” She starts to explain “I remember him…”

Yoona stops himself from smiling, “Remember him? What do you mean?”

 Tiffany stares at her feet, “Kim Taeng…he was my best friend”

 “Best friend?” He asks nonchalantly, the latter nods.

 “I’ve been getting flashbacks recently, but the person who was talking to me was always a blur” She lifts her head up “But then…everything came back to me”

 Yoona smiles warmly, “So you remember him?”

 Tiffany nods, “Yeah. I remember we attended daycare together, even up to middle school. We were inseparable. I can’t believe I forgot about him” Tiffany hangs her head, guilt starting to rise.

 Yoona pats her shoulder, “Hey, its okay. People forget. It’s normal”

 Tiffany shakes her head, “But…he meant a lot to me. He was the most important person in my life. And I completely forgot about him.” Tiffany chokes, tears beginning to form “He must hate me…”

Yoona’s face falls, he sensed the guilt through her tone. “Aish, don’t cry. He doesn’t hate you.”

“How do you know?” She asks tight from holding back the tears.

“I just do.” He replies smiling.

Tiffany wasn’t satisfied with the latter’s answer, she wipes her eyes.

 “Can I ask you something?” Yoona asks softly, the latter nods. “Do you remember his promise?”

Tiffany’s heart pangs. A white light pan in her vision.

[Flashback]

I promise that I will find you, no matter how long it takes”

 [End Flashback]

 Tiffany gasps, touching her forehead with her hand, “He kept his promise didn’t he?”

 Yoona slowly nods while smiling, “He found you Tiffany”

 Tiffany was feeling mixed emotions. Her heart starts to beat faster; her head was in a swirl. “She’s right…” Tiffany mutters, causing the latter to look at her strangely. Tiffany looks at him, “My umma. She says I’m forgetful” She chuckles bitterly, “I guess I am”

Yoona smiles sadly, “Don’t beat yourself up. Taeng’s not mad.”

 “So this whole time he was acting?” She asks sadly.

 Yoona nods, “I won’t tell you all the information…because I made him a promise. But…he was hurt when you didn’t remember him”

 Tiffany’s heart starts to ache, she never saw past Taeng’s cheerful character.

 Deep down, he was hurting.

 Hurting because of her.

 Her mind zooms between the past and the present. All the faint memories she had with Taeng were inching their way through her mind.

“I have to talk to him…” She says, taking a deep breath.

 “Well he texted me saying he wasn’t feeling good. So you should wait until he feels better” Yoona replies, taking out his phone.

 Tiffany bites her bottom lip, growing worried of Taeng’s health.

“Thank you Yoona” She says sincerely.

Yoona smiles, “Of course”

The conversation lasted until the end of lunch; Tiffany didn’t have a chance to eat, leaving her stomach growling the rest of the day. She parts ways with her group and heads home, her stomach growling louder and louder.

“Umma! I’m home!” She yells as she enters the door, taking off her shoes.

 No response from her mother but she hears laughing coming from the kitchen.

Are guests over? That explains all the shoes.

She awkwardly makes her way to the kitchen, “Umma I’m home. Do you have guests’ over-Taeng?!”

Taeng jumps out of his chair, surprised by the sudden voice.

“Oh Tiffany, you’re home” Mrs. Hwang says calmly, smiling at her frantic daughter.

“Tiffany!” Mrs. Kim stands up, running over to her “Omo! Look at you! You’ve grown up into a beautiful lady!”

 Tiffany was left clueless, staring at the excited woman before her.

 Mrs. Kim chuckles, “Aigoo. You don’t remember me? I don’t look that old do I?”

 Taeng laughs, “Umma…”

 Mrs. Hwang chuckles, “Tiffany. It’s Mrs. Kim, don’t you remember her?”

Tiffany’s eyes widen, “Mrs. Kim?”

 Mrs. Kim laughs, “I’m the person who always changed your diaper”

 “Of course I remember you” She says smiling.

“Liar!” Her mother replies, standing up from her chair.

“Umma!” Tiffany yells “I do remember her!”

 “So you remember her and not Taeng?” She retaliates, leaving Tiffany blank.

She looks over to Taeng who was leaning against the counter fidgeting with his fingers. The atmosphere grows awkward and both Tiffany and Taeng felt it in the air.

 “I do remember him…” She says quietly, her hands clenching into a fist.

Taeng looks at her with surprise, stuffing his hands in his pocket.

 “Anyways, I invited them over for dinner” Mrs. Hwang says, ignoring her daughters comment “It’s been so long since I’ve seen you that I couldn’t wait!”

Mrs. Kim smiles, “I feel the same way. I’m glad that we finally reunited”

Taeng smiles warmly at his mother, seeing how happy she looks. Tiffany stares at Taeng, holding back the tears forming in her eyes.

“Come, let’s eat!” Mrs. Hwangs says excitedly, gesturing the others to gather around the table.

Both Mr. Kim and Hwang were still at work so they weren’t able to reunite with each other.

Taeng and Tiffany place their hands on the same chair, Taeng’s on top of Tiffany’s. They both retract, awkwardly looking at each before Taeng moves to another seat.

 “I hope you didn’t mind skipping school today Taeng” Mrs. Kim says while handing him rice.

“It’s okay umma, I’m glad I got to see Mrs. Hwang after all these years” He replies, smiling.

“Aish, you’ve grown into such a handsome boy!” She replies smiling.

 “Well, look at Tiffany! She’s beautiful!” Mrs. Kim says, looking at Tiffany.

 Both the teens grow red of embarrassment as the moms squeal over the assets of their children.

 “We have so much to discuss!” Mrs. Hwang says, as they start to finish up the meal.

 Mrs. Kim nods, “Yes! Let’s have coffee”

“You kids can go, I can clean up” Mrs. Hwang says, picking up the plates.

“I’ll help” Her friend offers, picking up the cups.

Taeng awkwardly looks at Tiffany, she bites her bottom lip.

 “Let’s go to the living room” She says quietly, leading him there. Taeng gazes around the house, admiring the authentic Korean layout. Tiffany softly takes a seat on the couch, Taeng sitting a distant from her.

 “I like your house” He says smiling, Tiffany looks him.

 “Oh thanks” She replies awkwardly.

Taeng slowly nods his head, leaning back against the couch.

 “Yoona told me you were sick…that’s why you didn’t come to school today” Tiffany says, her hands on her lap.

“That was an excuse, umma wanted me to accompany her here” He explains while chuckling.

Tiffany nods, “I see”

 Taeng gazes at Tiffany worriedly, “Are you okay?”

 “Taeng I’m sorry” Tiffany says immediately.

Taeng leans forward, “Sorry? What are you sorry for?”

 Tiffany takes a deep breath, “For forgetting about you”

 Taeng’s heart pangs, time stopped and the world stood still.

“W-what?” He asks, not believing what was happening.

“I remember you Taeng, I knew you looked familiar as soon as I saw you. But…nothing came to me. Then I started having these random flashbacks and they all pieced together. Those flashbacks were memories of you and me” She says, tears beginning to fall.

Taeng’s mouth was left agape, yet his heart was bursting of happiness.

He quickly scoots closer to Tiffany, rubbing her back “Why are you crying?”

 “Because… we spent every day together when we were younger, how could I forget you?” She chokes on her words.

 “It’s okay, we were still pretty young when you left, so remembering someone isn’t always easy” He replies soothingly.

 Tiffany continues crying in her hands; Taeng was trying his best to comfort her.

“Tiffany please stop crying” He says softly.

 After minutes pass by, Tiffany finally controls herself to stop crying. She looks up from her hands; Taeng was looking at her with worry.

“Tae…” She quietly says, looking in his eyes.

 “What did you call me?” Taeng asks sarcastically, a smile on his face.

Tiffany chuckles, “Your nickname. I remember I would call you that every day”

Taeng chuckles, “You would.”

 “Do you remember what you use to call me?” She asks her tone filled with hope.

“Of course I do Fany-ah” He replies, dorkily smiling.

 Tiffany chuckles, wiping away the excess tears on her cheek.

“I’m sorry Tae…” She starts to say but Taeng cuts her short.

“Stop apologizing. You remember me, that’s all that matters” He replies.

Tiffany’s heart skips a beat at Taeng’s affections. How could he forgive her? It’s been nearly 4 years since they’ve seen each other. Tiffany begins to awe at Taeng’s character; his forgiving character was something that made her stomach flutter.

 “I don’t deserve a best friend like you…” She says sadly.

“But I need a best friend like you” He replies, looking at Tiffany.

She blushes, hiding away her face in her hands.

 Taeng chuckles, “You’ve really grown up” 

She looks at Taeng, “Have I?”

He nods, “You have. Best friend…?”

Tiffany chuckles, “We promised to be best friends forever right?”

 Taeng smiles warmly, “We can’t break a promise”

 While the two teens catch up, the two moms sneak back in the kitchen.

 “Aigoo, they are so cute together” Mrs. Hwang says smiling.

“They should date” Mrs. Kim replies, smiling as well.

“We have to plan their wedding!” Mrs. Hwang says excitedly, planning ahead.

Mrs. Kim laughs, “Aish. Baby steps. One step at a time.”