Truth

Blind

 

“Yeoboseyo?”

“Taeng! You, me, Yul. Coffee?”

Taeng chuckles, “Meet you there.” He ends the call, heading downstairs along with jacket and out the door.

Taeng enters the café, scouting the area until he finds his friends sitting around a circular table. Taeng smiles, walking over to the latters who looked enthralled in a conversation.

“Hey guys,” Taeng greets, interrupting the two.

Yul and Yoona look at Taeng and smile, “Hey Taeng.”

 “How’s break going so far?” Taeng asks, leaning back against the wooden chair.

Yul shrugs, “It’s alright. How was Christmas?”

Yoona smiles, “I spent Christmas with Seohyun and it was AMAZING.”

Taeng laughs, “Well I take it someone had a good Christmas.”

Yoona beams a smile, nodding his energetically.

 Yul chuckles, “I just stayed home with my parents, some of my relatives came over and we had dinner. It was pretty fun.”

Yoona gazes over to Taeng, “What about you?”

 Taeng his head, “Well Tiffany’s family came over and we had dinner.”

Yul’s eyes widen, “Really? How was that?”

Taeng shrugs, “It was good…”

“No awkward tensions?”

“Well…It was really awkward but I apologized for the way I was acting so everything went back to normal,” Taeng replies coolly, resting his arms on the table.

“That’s good…” Yoona trails, looking down at the brown table, “Was Jessica okay with that?”

Taeng shakes his head, “Jessica broke up with me.”

 Yoona and Yul’s eyes widen in shock, their jaw drops in unison.

Yul slams his hand on the table, “You’re joking right?!”

 Taeng shakes his head, “Nope. She broke up with me a while ago actually. Three days before Christmas I believe.”

 Yoona takes a deep breath, “Wow…”

Yul gazes at Taeng with compassion, “Are you okay?”

 Taeng softly smiles, “I’m fine guys. She said this would be best for us…”

Yoona sighs, “But she seemed so happy with you.”

Taeng chuckles, “She was but…” He looks at his friends, “She said she didn’t want my feelings for Tiffany to be blinded.”

 Yul slowly nods his head, “She knew you still love her huh?”

Taeng nods, Yoona clasps his shoulder and warmly smiles at him.

“Well…I’m not happy about that,” Yoona states, squeezing his shoulder, “But as long as everything is going to be okay then I’m happy.”

Taeng chuckles, “Everything will be fine.”

“I hope,” Yoona says, releasing his grip on Taeng.

Taeng looks over to Yul and smiles, “She’s all yours now.”

 Yul’s eyes widen, “Huh?”

 “Jessica.”

Yul grimly frowns, “Not right now.”

 Taeng became confused, “What?”

 Yul sighs, “You guys’ just broke up…It wouldn’t be right to jump the gun so quickly. You guys need to recover first.”

Taeng smiles, “Thanks Yul.”

 Yul laughs, “But I’m still going after her.”

 Taeng and Yoona laugh along with Yul, Taeng swatting Yul’s arm playfully. They settle down from their abrupt laughter, Yoona looks up from the table.

“So what did you get Tiffany?” Yoona asks to Taeng.

Taeng smiles, “I got her a friendship necklace,” He holds up the key necklace he was wearing around his neck, “She has the heart shape locket.”

 “Heart shape?” Yul asks with a smirk on his face.

Taeng punches his arm, “Yah…”

 Yul chuckles, “As in…You’re the key to her heart?”

Taeng bites his bottom lip, “Hopefully…I only wrote in the note that I’m the key to our friendship…”

Yul swats his arm, “Aish you idiot! You should have said ‘key to your heart’ maybe then she would get the gist that you love her!”

“Well, the key to her heart was implied,” Taeng replies, twirling the key between his fingers.

Yoona shakes his head, “Tiffany doesn’t catch on things very well.”

Taeng chuckles, “I know…”

 “Well I mean,” Yoona reassures, “It still is a great gift.”

 Taeng smiles warmly, “Thanks. She got me a hoodie, it’s really nice.”

“Of course, Tiffany does have a great fashion sense,” Yul replies, smiling.

Taeng smirks, “Yeah she does.”

Yoona grimly looks down; tapping his fingers on the table.

He bites his bottom lip, “Is she still with Donghae?”

Taeng looks at the latter, noticing the change in his character, “Unfortunately.”

 Yoona slowly nods his head, “I think…Something’s up between them.”

 Taeng’s attention was clearly alerted, he quickly gazes at the latter, “What do you mean?”

“We all know Donghae’s an , agreed?”

 The two shake their head in agreement, intently listening to Yoona.

“I don’t know…The way he’s been acting…I think he’s forcing Tiffany to stay with him,” Yoona explains, a dark expression on his face.

Taeng clenches his fists, “Forcing?”

“I remember when I was talking to Tiffany,” Yoona starts off, “It was when you yelled at her…She said, ‘I hate Donghae’ and then when I asked her why doesn’t she just break up with him already, she didn’t answer me and left.”

 Taeng bites the inside of his cheeks, anger boiling to him along with worry.

“I don’t know…I just get that weird feeling,” Yoona says darkly, gazing over to Taeng, “Tiffany’s oblivious but she’s not dumb when it comes to this kind of stuff.”

Taeng takes a deep breath, “So…She kept it discreet?”

 Yul clasps his shoulder, “She’s probably afraid. Donghae is probably telling her to keep shut. What Yoona said might be true; I mean what kind of girl would stay with a guy like that?”

Taeng slams his fists on the table, “But I need to know, it’ll give me every reason to beat the crap out of Donghae.”

Yoona looks at Taeng with a grave expression, “Taeng calm down. This is all out of speculation.”

Taeng sighs, taking a deep breath, “I know…Sorry. It’s just that-”

 “We know, you’re worried.”

 Taeng leans back against his chair, his mind warped around Tiffany. He starts to feel guilty for yelling at her, even though he apologized to her, he felt even worse. It wasn’t Tiffany who wanted to stay with Donghae; he wanted her to stay with him.

He runs his hand through his hair, “I’m going to talk to her.”

 Yoona’s eyes widen, “Now?”

Taeng stands up, not answering any of the questions his friends were bombarding him with, he runs out the door. His mind was set on Tiffany, his heart beating faster, he runs as fast as he could.

He stops in front of her house, taking multiple deep breaths. Taeng quickly approaches her house, ringing the doorbell frantically. The door opens, Mrs. Hwang’s eyes widen seeing Taeng breathing heavily.

“Taeng are you alright?” Mrs. Hwang asks caringly, seeing the worried look on his face.

Taeng takes another deep breath, “Is Tiffany home?”

 Mrs. Hwang shakes her head, “No she said she was going out with Donghae I believe.”

Taeng curses under his breath, “Do you know where she went?”

 Mrs. Hwang gravely shakes her head, “No.”

 Taeng nods, “It’s okay. I’ll find her.”

 Mrs. Hwang nods, “Please do. I hate Donghae.” Taeng chuckles bitterly, “We’re on the same boat.”

 Taeng waves off, frantically thinking of where to go next. He scouts the streets and roads of Korea, looking through every window of each shop.

“Where are you Tiffany?” Taeng asks worriedly as he continues searching for her.

 Hours pass and the sun was setting down causing the sky to turn orange. Taeng had been running around, desperately hoping to see Tiffany soon but unfortunately luck wasn’t on his side. He takes a deep breath, growing exhausted from the endless running.

“I swear on my life Donghae if you hurt her…” Taeng mutters, trying one last time to search the area.

Night falls, Taeng’s body felt as if it was going to give out any second. He sighs, leaning against the cool wall to catch his breath. Taeng looks down to the ground, he felt his heart beating out of his chest. He clutches the necklace, slowly closing his eyes.

He takes another break before heading home, defeated and exhausted. Taeng enters through his house, shaking his head in defeat as he heads upstairs to his room. His body was tired out; he was amazed he had enough energy to go up the stairs.

 Taeng takes out his phone, tossing it on the phone; it starts to ring as soon as it hits the mattress. Taeng gazes at it, picking it up in his grasp, the caller ID was unknown.

“Yeoboseyo?” Taeng asks cautiously, unsure of who was on the other line.

 “Taeng?!”

 “Mrs.Hwang?” Taeng asks, hearing Tiffany’s mother breathe heavily on the other line.

“Is Tiffany with you?”

 “No why?”

“She hasn’t returned home in so long, she’s usually never out this late!”

Taeng’s body tenses, he quickly walks over to the door, gripping his hand around the doorknob.

 “Have you tried calling her?” Taeng asks worriedly, growing frantic.

“Yes! She hasn’t answered any of my calls,” Mrs. Hwang replies, panicked and worried.

 Taeng runs down the stairs, heading down the hall to the front door.

“Okay, I’ll try finding her. If she doesn’t call back or return within the next hour, call the police,” Taeng explains. He was trying his best to sound confident for Mrs. Hwang but he was worried to death about Tiffany, his body was trembling of fear.

 “Okay…Thank you Taeng,” Mrs. Hwang says softly; Taeng hears a sniffle on the other line.

 “It’ll be okay Mrs. Hwang, I’ll call you if anything happens,” Taeng says soothingly before ending the call.

He puts on his shoes and quickly runs out the door. As soon as Taeng shuts the door, he swivels around and sprints as fast as he could.

 “Oof,” Taeng grunts, feeling a pressure on his body. Taeng looks down and his eyes widen the size of dish plates.

“T-Tiffany?” Taeng says breathlessly.

Tiffany looks up, realizing that Taeng was the person she bumped into, her eyes were filled with tears and her cheek was stained with a red bloodline.

Taeng’s eyes fall seeing the look on Tiffany’s face, the swollenness of her cheek along with the cut mark made him cringe.

 “Tiffany, what happened?!” Taeng asks frantically, his eyes kept on the latter.

 Tears stream down her cheek, Tiffany hangs her head low.

“I couldn’t hide it anymore…I c-couldn’t…” Tiffany chokes on her words, tears spewing out of her eyes like waterfalls.

Taeng’s heart aches seeing Tiffany so weak, her body was trembling and she was suffering from so much pain. Taeng lifts her in his arms bridal style, turns around and heads back to his house. Taeng carries Tiffany into the living room, gently setting her down on the couch.

Taeng runs over to the kitchen, taking out the first aid kit. He rushes back to Tiffany, taking out the needed supplies to treat the gash on her cheek.

“This might sting,” Taeng says softly, swabbing a cotton ball in alcohol.

 Tiffany winces in pain, feeling a burning sensation from the alcohol on her face. Taeng caringly treats Tiffany wounds carefully, his face inches away from hers.

 Tiffany’s heart skips a beat, her eyes kept on Taeng as he treats her wound. As Taeng finishes, he cleans up the space and runs upstairs. He comes back down with clean shorts and shirt from his closet, along with a towel and a spare toothbrush.

“Here, go clean up,” Taeng says softly, handing her the things.

Tiffany’s eyes widen her heart swelling from the kind actions of Taeng. She quickly rushes upstairs, cleaning up herself and changing into Taeng’s clothes.

 As soon as she was done, she heads downstairs, seeing Taeng quietly sitting on the couch. She walks around and gently takes a seat next to him. Tiffany gazes over to Taeng, his eyes giving off a hollow look and a grave look on his face.

“Taeng-”

 “I want the truth,” Taeng says sternly, looking straight into Tiffany’s eyes.

Tiffany gulps, feeling the tears return to her eyes.

“Did Donghae hit you?” Taeng asks, his fists clenching.

 Tiffany couldn’t find the words to say, instead she nods weakly. Taeng grits his teeth, anger coursing through his veins.

“How long has he been hitting you?”

Tiffany bites her bottom lip, “A long time…”

Taeng slams his fist on the couch, “Dammit Tiffany!”

 Tiffany wipes her eyes, looking down into her lap.

“Why didn’t you tell me?!” Taeng says angrily, his fists still tight.

Tiffany sniffles, “I was afraid…”

“Afraid of what?”

Tiffany looks into his eyes, “Afraid he was going to hurt me more…”

Taeng’s face falls, he immediately relaxes his body seeing the broken look on the latter’s face.

“Did he threaten you?” Taeng asks softly, gazing at Tiffany.

 Tiffany nods, “He said if I told you he would make the pain worse.”

Taeng stands up, anger settling in his stomach, he paces back and forth. Tiffany sees the angry look on Taeng’s face, she bites her bottom lip feeling scared of what he was going to say.

 “I’m sorry Taeng…” Tiffany says quietly, hanging her head low.

Taeng looks at the latter, seeing how small and frail she was. His heart aches even more, he couldn’t stand seeing the girl he loves in pain, seeing her so broken. He gently lifts her up from the couch, his hand softly taking hers. Tiffany looks up, seeing Taeng’s face calm and relaxed.

 Immediately, Taeng pulls her into his arms, embracing her tightly. Tiffany’s eyes widen, her heart skips a beat, warmth settles in her body.

Taeng sighs, “Tiffany…” He looks down into her eyes, “You should have told me.”

 Tiffany bites her bottom lip, “You’ve already done so much for me Taeng… I’m always the one messing up, making you mad and whatnot. I wanted you to finally smile.”

 “Don’t say that Tiffany,” Taeng replies softly, “I’ll always be here for you.”

 Tiffany lays her head against Taeng’s chest, enjoying the warmth he was giving her.

“I’ve always wanted to break up with him…” Tiffany states softly.

Taeng sadly smiles, “Did you?”

Tiffany nods against his chest, “Yes. Remember when I told you I was going to break up with him?”

Taeng nods, Tiffany takes a deep breath, holding back her tears.

 “He got really mad and when I tried to leave…He hit me.”

Taeng’s body tenses, “And that’s when he threatened you?”

 Tiffany nods, wishing she didn’t have to recall that horrid memory. Taeng sighs, releasing Tiffany from his grasp and stares into her eyes.

 “You should have come running to me,” Taeng says softly, smiling sadly at the latter.

Tiffany droops her eyes, “I was afraid…I didn’t want to be any more of a burden to you.”

 Taeng shakes his head, “Don’t say that. You’re not burden.”

Tiffany sadly smiles, “Today when he hit me…I couldn’t take it anymore, I ran away from him…And honestly I had no idea where I was going,” She chuckles bitterly, “Somehow I ended up running here.”

Taeng’s face softens, pulling Tiffany down on the couch with him, “Well I’m glad you did…”

Tiffany gazes at him, “Really?”

Taeng nods, “I was worried about you…”

Tiffany smiles, softly touching his cheek, “You’re so sweet.”

Taeng couldn’t help but smile, feeling his heat thumping out of his chest.

He grimaces, regretting all the painful words he said to the latter next to him.

He glances down at his lap, “Tiffany…I’m sorry.”

Tiffany was taken aback, “Sorry? Why are you sorry?”

“For everything. I should have known something was up when you didn’t break up with him. Instead I was stupid and yelled at you…even ignored you.”

Tiffany shakes her head, “No its fine Taeng…Like you said, I should have told you.”

Taeng chuckles bitterly, “But like you said, you were afraid. I should have sensed it.”

Tiffany softly shakes her head and smiles, “Can we just forget that all of this happened? I’m sorry, you’re sorry, it’s too many apologizes.”

Taeng smiles, “Already forgotten.”

Tiffany chuckles, “Good.”

 Taeng chuckles, looking down to the carpet, his mind warped around so many thoughts.

 “So does this mean you’re breaking up with him?” Taeng asks, a hopeful tone in his voice.

Tiffany chuckles, “I’m pretty sure I’ve already broken up with him.”

Taeng chuckles along with her, “Yeah that’s true.”

Silence trails in between the two, Tiffany bites her bottom lip and looks at Taeng.

Tiffany sighs, “Well…” Taeng gazes at her, “At least one of us is happy right?”

Taeng tilts his head, “What?”

Tiffany bites her bottom lip, “You. You’re still with Jessica.”

 Taeng softly chuckles, “Actually no. She broke up with me a while ago.”

Tiffany’s eyes widen in shock, “What?”

Taeng nods, “Yeah, three days before Christmas.”

Tiffany’s face falls, “Oh Taeng, I’m so sorry. I didn’t know.”

 Taeng shakes his head, a smile still on his face, “Nah it’s okay. She said we would be better off as friends and honestly? I agree.”  

Tiffany smiles, “That’s good.”

Her stomach begins to grow butterflies, a gentle smile was plastered on her face and her heart begins to flutter.

“Yeah,” Taeng chuckles, leaning back against the couch.

Tiffany smiles, noticing the key shaped necklace around his neck, “Thank you for the necklace.”

Taeng warmly smiles, “Of course. I’m glad you like it.”

Tiffany nods, “Can I try unlocking my necklace?”

 Taeng nods, leaning towards her slowly. Tiffany takes the key around his neck, adjoining his necklace with hers until she hears a click.

Tiffany grins, “You’re the key to my locket.”

 Taeng’s heart skips a beat, he dorkily smiles and gazes affectionately at the latter.

 “Thanks for your present by the way,” Taeng says happily.

Tiffany gives him a thumb up, “You like it?”

Taeng nods, “Maybe you should be the fashion guru.”

Tiffany swats his arm, “Yah!”

Taeng laughs, feeling warmth in his stomach. He slowly closes his eyes, leaning back against the couch, enjoying the serene lively atmosphere between them. Tiffany caringly looks at Taeng, she smiles softly, her heart creating a steady beat.

“Thank you for everything Tae…” Tiffany says softly, leaning up and planting a warm kiss on Taeng’s cheek.

Taeng’s body tenses, his heart skips a beat and his face grows flustered. Time felt as if it stopped, he stares absentmindedly straight ahead with his eyes wide open. His heart swells with joy, a smile grows on his face.

He gazes over to Tiffany who was sound asleep against his arm. Taeng chuckles, gently lifting her in his arms and carries her up to his room. He carefully sets her on his bed, his eyes glued on the peaceful latter.

Taeng smiles, tucking a piece of hair behind her ear. He takes a deep breath, boldly leans down and softly kisses her forehead. He quietly leaves the room, taking out his cell phone in the process.

“Mrs. Hwang?” Taeng says softly, heading downstairs.

“Yeah she’s fine…She’s here actually.”

 “Well she’s asleep, do you mind if I stop by right now to pick up some spare clothes?”

“Okay, see you soon.”

Taeng exits his house and quickly makes his way over to Tiffany’s house. He rings the doorbell; Mrs. Hwang opens the door with a duffel bag in her hands.

“Here,” Mrs. Hwang hands Taeng the bag, “It has spare clothes and all the necessities she needs.”

Taeng smiles, “Thanks.”

Mrs. Hwang shakes her head, “No thank you Taeng. I was worried sick about her…But take good care of her okay?”

Taeng nods, “I will. Good night Mrs. Hwang.” He bows to her and turns around to head home.

 Mrs. Hwang smiles, staring at Taeng warmly, “Win her heart Taeng.”

 Taeng stops in his tracks, turning around and gazing at the closed door in front of him. He chuckles to himself, turns around and starts his way home.

“Don’t worry Mrs. Hwang,” Taeng starts, a smile on his face, “I will.”