Bright Side

Blind

 

“You’re an idiot you know that?”

“Taeng doesn’t deserve a friend like you”

 Yoona’s words kept echoing through Tiffany’s mind. After the basketball game, she searched the court to find Taeng but unfortunately he had already left. Her whole group of friends had already left by that time. Donghae was still in pain from Yoona’s violent actions. Tiffany apologized for his actions but deep down she knew Yoona wasn’t sorry.

She held her tears from streaming down, after Donghae dropped her home she went straight to her room.

“What did I do wrong?” Tiffany asks herself, gently lying in bed and staring at the white ceiling above her.

“Taeng…Is there something I don’t know?” She fidgets with her hands, rolling her thumbs in a circular motion.

 She sighs, wiping the corners of her eyes. She felt tears forming but she didn’t want to cry, it would cause more pain for her. She thinks of Taeng as she lies in bed. Wondering if there was something she did that made him upset.

  “Taeng…” She says softly, turning to her side.

 

 Taeng didn’t know how long he’s been sitting on the ledge, but by the looks of the sky it was getting late. Taeng shivers; the water was making the wind blow cold air to him. He stares into the deep waters, watching as the small wave’s crash softly against the surface of the wall.

 “Taeng?” He hears a feint voice calling his name; he turns his head and sees a female figure slowly approaching.

 “Hey Jessica…” He says, smiling sadly.

 Jessica’s face falls seeing the latter’s sad expression, she takes a seat on the ledge next to him, her legs dangling above the water.

 “What are you doing out here? Isn’t it late?” Taeng asks, looking at the latter.

 “I saw you running out after the game, Yoona told me to look for you and here I am.” She replies, looking at him affectionately.

 “You’ve been looking for me this whole time?” Taeng says softly, touched by the latter’s actions.

 The latter nods, “I got worried. You seemed really upset after the game…”

 “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to worry you, I feel bad for making you look for me.”

 Jessica chuckles softly, “It’s okay. I wanted to look for you anyways…”

Taeng softly smiles; admiring the latter’s kind words.

 “So why did you run out?” Jessica asks, staring into Taeng’s eyes.

“I couldn’t stand being in there, I had to run away.” He replies darkly.

“Why?”

“It’s difficult.”

“Try to explain.” Jessica pleads, wanting to help Taeng.  

Taeng doesn’t reply, he looks off to the waters again. Silence was lingering in the air; Jessica patiently waits for Taeng to reply.

“Sometimes I feel like a balloon.” Taeng says softly, still looking at the water.

Jessica her head, “What do you mean?"

 Taeng sighs, “I imagine myself as a balloon, big and bold on the outside, empty on the inside, filled with nothing.”

 Jessica remains quiet, staring deep at Taeng.

“A balloon can be loved by anyone, no matter what age, but the question is…for how long?” He chuckles bitterly, “If the holder of the balloon lets go of the string, the balloon floats away, flying freely into the sky. It’s missed for a period of time but eventually it only becomes a feint memory soon forgotten, leaving the balloon to die slowly in the sky alone.” Taeng sighs.

“Taeng…” Jessica says, feeling hurt hearing Taeng say those things about him.

 Taeng smiles sadly, “I’m a balloon Jessica-”

“You’re not” Jessica says darkly, cutting him off.

Taeng looks at the latter, “But I am.”

 “Why?” She asks softly.

Taeng looks into her eyes, “Because the holder of my string let me go.”

Jessica’s eyes soften, “Taeng…”

“It’s true, they let me go.” Jessica bites her bottom lip, trying to find the words to say.

“It’s their loss.”

 Taeng looks at the latter with awe, chuckling to himself “I doubt it. They seemed happy after they took me out of their life.”

“Stop degrading yourself Taeng.” Jessica replies softly, gazing at Taeng with a soft look.

 He softly sighs, “I’m still flying in the sky, waiting for someone to grab me and never let go.”

Jessica remains quiet, hearing the latter’s words touched her heart. She was collecting her thoughts, looking out to the waters.

Taeng looks at the latter and takes her hand, “I’m sorry.” Jessica was taken at aback at his action. “I didn’t mean to put all of this on you” He says softly, staring at their hands.

Jessica’s heart skips a beat; the sudden contact was surging with sparks.

 “It’s okay Taengoo; you can always talk to me about your problems…”

Taeng smiles, “Thanks Jessica.”

“May I ask…who was the holder of your string?” She asks, looking at him.

Taeng shakes his head, “Don’t worry about it. They’ve found a new balloon to hold onto; I’ll just have to wait for mine.”

Jessica smiles, “I’m sure you’ll find someone.”

Taeng chuckles, “You really think so?”

 The latter nods, “I do.”

Jessica’s heart starts to flutter, the look on Taeng’s face made her smile. Taeng smiles, staring at the blonde latter.

 “Are you cold?” He asks her.

 “A little bit but I think I’ll be okay.” She replies, trying to hide her shivers.

Taeng laughs, taking off his jacket and wrapping it around her.

 “You don’t have to lie; I don’t want you to get sick.” He replies, dorkily smiling.

Jessica smiles, touched by the latter’s kind gesture.

 “Congrats by the way on winning.” She says, gazing at Taeng.

Taeng rubs the back of his head, “Thanks.”

“You have a talent at basketball.” She praises while chuckling.

Taeng swings his legs; shyly smiling “I try my best.”

Jessica scoots closer on the ledge to him, their arms touching.

 “Are you okay now?” She asks as she stares at the water.

“Yeah, talking to you made me feel ten times better.” He replies, smiling affectionately at her.

Jessica chuckles, “I’m glad I made you feel better.”

“I’m sorry for worrying you-”

 “Aish stop apologizing, friends are supposed to help each other right?” Jessica cuts him off softly, smiling.

 Taeng chuckles, “Right. I’ll always be here to help you.”

The latter chuckles, she looks down to see Taeng’s hand was still holding her hand. She smiles, seeing how her tiny hand fits perfectly into his.

“Sorry, is this awkward?” He asks awkwardly, looking at their hands together.

 Jessica shakes her head, “Not at all. My hands are cold anyway.”

 Taeng immediately takes her other hand and holds it between his, rubbing them together to produce heat. Jessica smiles, her heart beating out of control. She affectionately stares at Taeng, thinking how each day she was happy to see him enter through the doors, greeting her with a smile before he takes his seat. His kind words and actions made her fall for him even harder.

“Thank you.” She says softly as Taeng continues rubbing her hands.

 “Don’t worry about it.” He says smiling.

They remain in silence as Taeng keeps Jessica’s hands warm.

He looks at her softly, “We should get going. I’ll walk you home.”

 Jessica frowns; she didn’t want to leave Taeng’s side. She wanted to spend a little more time with him. But seeing that Taeng had already suffered a bad day, she was considerate of his feelings and agrees.

Taeng swings his leg around the ledge, standing up and extending his hand to Jessica to help her up. Jessica smiles, taking his head, he hoists her up and they begin walking down the street.

They share stories, jokes, and even play twenty questions to get to know each other more. Taeng smiles the walk to Jessica’s house, for the first time in a while he felt genuinely happy.

No heartaches, no pain.

 He was relaxed, content, worry free.

 He looks over to Jessica, admiring her and smiling. Jessica looks at him and warmly smiles. Taeng’s heart pangs, a light happy beat. He wasn’t sure what to claim this feeling but he was enjoying the warm fuzzy feeling that was surging through his body. They make their way to Jessica’s house; she turns and faces him in front of her door.

“Thank you again Jessica for talking with me.” He says sincerely, warmly smiling.

“Of course, I’m glad you got that off your chest.” She says, causing the latter to smile.

 Jessica gazes at him,“Taeng?”

He looks at her, “Yeah?”

“Don’t ever say you’re a balloon again.” She says sternly, looking at him with seriousness.

Taeng was taken aback at the latter’s words, “Okay…”

 “Promise me.” She says, crossing her arms.

 Taeng softly chuckles, “I promise.”

 “Good, you’re a great guy Taeng. Don’t let one person change that.” She replies, smiling.

Taeng’s heart pangs again, “T-thank you.”

“I’ll see you tomorrow at school.” She says, handing him his jacket “Goodnight Taengoo.” She smiles one last time before heading inside her house.

Taeng stares at the door, clutching his chest with his right hand. His heart was beating erratically, his mind was swirling.

He takes a deep breath, “Jessica Jung…” He chuckles, before putting on his jacket and heads home.

His mind warped around Jessica the entire time.