Unlucky Fate

Blind

 

Taeng gets up from bed, lazily doing his morning routines and heads downstairs. He enters the kitchen, seeing his parents sitting around the table.

“Ah, goodmorning umma and appa,” Taeng says groggily, bowing to his parents.

 Mrs. Kim chuckles, “Aigoo. You’re taking advantage of your break to sleep in huh?”

Taeng chuckles hoarsely, making his way to the fridge to eat breakfast.

Mr. Kim sets down his newspaper, “You know Christmas is coming up right?”

Taeng sets his food down on the table, “Yep. 3 more days’ right?”

Mr. Kim nods, “We’re having the Hwang family over on Christmas Eve.”

Taeng freezes, his spoon halfway in his mouth, “We are?”

 His father nods, “It’s going to be a little get together.”

 Taeng slowly nods his head, biting his teeth harder on the spoon.

“What’s wrong Taeng?” Mrs. Kim asks, seeing the odd character from her son.

 Taeng forces a smile, taking the spoon out of his mouth, “Nothing umma. I can’t wait for Christmas Eve.”

 

Tiffany was lying lifelessly on her bed, her eyes glued on the white ceiling she grew fond of staring at. The past three days of break she’s gotten nothing but a slap to her face from Donghae, she felt as if her veins in her face were going to burst.

She gets up from her bed, noticing her slightly swollen cheeks. Tiffany sighs, heading downstairs and enters the living room. Mr. Hwang was sitting on the couch, reading his daily newspaper with his coffee on the coffee table. She slightly smiles, going around the couch to sit next him.

Mr. Hwang drops the newspaper down, seeing his daughter sitting so closely to him.

 “Hey Tiffany,” He greets warmly, smiling at her.

Tiffany wanly smiles, “Hi appa.”

Mr. Hwang frowns, “What’s wrong?”

Tiffany shakes her head and sighs, “Nothing. I’m… just bored.”

The latter touches her cheek softly, “Are your cheeks swollen?”

Tiffany quickly pushes away her dad’s hand, “I must have accidently bitten my cheek,” She replies quickly.

 Mr. Hwang gazes at her, “That sounds painful. Can it get that swollen?”

Tiffany bites her bottom lip, “I bit it really hard…”

 Her dad slowly nods, unsure if she was telling the truth, he sets the newspaper down next to him.

 “How are you and…what’s his name?” Mr. Hwang asks, leaning back against the couch.

 Tiffany fidgets with her fingers, “Donghae…And we’re fine.”

 Mr. Hwang tilts his head, “Just fine?”

Tiffany nods, the latter leans slightly forward.

“Your mom always complains about him,” He states softly, chuckling to himself.

Tiffany smiles sadly, “Yeah… I know.”

Mr. Hwang places his hand on tops of hers, “Well as long as you’re happy I’m happy.”

Tears brim on Tiffany’s eyes; she hated lying to her dad. Tiffany wipes her eyes with her other hand, acting as if she was scratching it so she wouldn’t make her dad worry.

 “Thanks appa…” She says softly, smiling sadly.

Mr. Hwang smiles warmly, “Of course.”

Silence trails in between the father and daughter. Mr. Hwang slowly slides his hand from Tiffany’s, returning back to lounging against the couch.

 “Christmas is coming soon,” Mr. Hwang states, breaking the silence.

Tiffany smiles, “Yeah. I’m excited for it.”

“We’re going to Taeng’s house on Christmas Eve,” Mr. Hwang says happily.

 Tiffany’s body tenses, she bites her bottom lip, “We are?”

The latter nods, “Mr. Kim and I discussed it at work.”

 Tiffany slowly nods her head, “That’s…great.”

 “You don’t sound happy. Aren’t you excited you’re going to hang out with your good friend?” Mr. Hwang asks curiously, gazing at her.

Tiffany sighs, “Of course I am…”

Too bad he hates me.

She stands up from the couch, biting her bottom lip harder. Mr. Hwang looks at his daughter curiously, his eyebrows rising.

 “I’m going for a walk,” Tiffany states softly, her eyes wandering around.

 Mr. Hwang nods, “Okay. Be safe. Make sure to bring a jacket, its freezing outside.”

Tiffany sadly smiles, “I will.”

 

 Taeng was asked by Jessica to meet her at their usual ledge. Taeng was happy he’ll finally be able to see her; he hasn’t seen her since school got out. Taeng approaches the ledge, taking a seat as he waits for his girlfriend to arrive.

 After a couple minutes, Jessica appears by his side catching Taeng off his guard.

“Whoa,” Taeng says, nearly out of breath, “You scared me.”

Jessica softly chuckles, “Sorry.”

Taeng smiles, kissing Jessica’s cheek, “It’s okay.”

 Jessica bites her bottom lip, her eyes falling down on the waters.

 Taeng tilts his head, “Are you okay?”

 Jessica plays with her fingers, her hair falling gently on her face, “Can we talk?”

 Taeng’s smile slowly fades away, “Of course.”

 Jessica bites her bottom lip, “Taeng…” Taeng gazes at his girlfriend, worry washing over his body. “I’ve been thinking…” Jessica starts, “You’re an amazing guy…I would actually call you perfect.”

 Taeng’s heart starts to ache, his body slumps and feels heavy.

Jessica gazes at him, “But I don’t think we were meant to be together.”

 Taeng’s face falls, he felt his body growing heavier.

 “I don’t understand…” Taeng says quietly, “Did I do something wrong?”

 Jessica quickly takes his hands with hers, “No…”

 Taeng closes his eyes, “Why?”

Jessica touches his cheek, “Taeng…We’re not meant for each other. “

Taeng opens his eyes and gazes at her, “There has to be a reason though…”

 Jessica bites her bottom lip, “I just feel as if we’re better off being friends…really good friends.”

 Taeng softly gazes at the latter, his heart aching of hearing the break up words. Jessica is hiding the real reason and Taeng knew exactly what the reason was.

“Is this because of Tiffany?” Taeng asks, squeezing Jessica’s hands.

Jessica’s eyes widen hearing the bold question, she bites her bottom lip and recalls the memory she overheard Taeng and Yul talking underneath the tree.

I’ll never stop loving Tiffany just like you’ll never stop loving Jessica.

Jessica tilts her head and smiles after recalling the flashback, “You belong with her Taeng. I know you’re still in love with her.”

Taeng hangs his head, shaking it of shame, “But…”

 Jessica hushes his lip with her finger, “I know…I’m not mad Taeng. In fact, I enjoyed every day that we were together. But…You belong to Tiffany not me. This is better for the both of us.” Jessica lifts Taeng’s head up and looks deep into his eyes, “Don’t let me blind the feelings you have for Tiffany.”

Taeng’s eyes widen; the latter looks at him and smiles warmly.

“You really are perfect Taeng,” Jessica says warmly, smiling at him.

Taeng sighs, “This is going to be hard…”

Jessica touches his cheek softly, “You’ll be okay.”

 “I want you to know Jessica…” Taeng starts off softly, “That the whole time we were together, my feelings for you were real. I like you Jessica; you were never a second option to me.”

 Jessica smiles, kissing Taeng’s cheek, “I know.”

 Taeng looks into her eyes, “You really are special Jessica.”

Jessica grins, “Thanks Taeng.”

Although Taeng was hurt, he felt as if everything was going to be okay, the refreshing look on Jessica’s face gave him the assuring feeling. He couldn’t deny that he was going to miss having Jessica as his girlfriend but he felt as if she was right.

He stands up from the ledge, pulling Jessica into his arms.

“Is this really what you want?” Taeng asks softly, embracing the small latter.

 Jessica smiles against his chest, “Yes Taeng…This is better for the both of us.”

Taeng smiles, “Can we still be friends?”

 Jessica pushes Taeng’s chest, “Yah! What kind of question is that? Of course we are we’re going to best friends!”

Taeng pulls her into his arms again, “Good. Because even though I’m losing you as my girlfriend I wouldn’t be able to handle losing you as a friend.”

Jessica chuckles, laying her head against Taeng’s chest.

 “Do me a favor though…” Taeng states softly, looking down to the latter.

 Jessica looks up, “What?”

“Go for Yul,” Taeng replies, a warm smile on his face.

 Jessica’s eyes widen, Taeng chuckles and hugs her tighter.

“Of course…Don’t go after him too quickly. Can you wait until I recover?”

A smile grows on Jessica’s face, she wraps her arms around Taeng’s torso tightly.

Jessica looks up, “How did you know?”

Taeng tilts his head, “I’ve always had a feeling you had a thing for Yul. Even though you denied it, the look in your eyes gave it away,” Taeng smiles, “You were unsure of them though. You didn’t know if you had feelings for Yul or you only thought of them as ‘friendly’ feelings.”

 Jessica’s eyes widen again, “How…How did you know?”

He gazes at the latter, smiling warmly, “Because that’s how I was with Tiffany.”

 Jessica smiles, “You’re spot on…”

Taeng kisses her forehead, “But like I said…Can you wait until I recover?”

“Of course Taeng…I still have to recover as well.”

Taeng smiles; feeling at ease and comfortable.

 “Can…” Taeng looks deeply at her, holding her tightly in his arms, “Can we stay like this a little longer?”

 

Tiffany was walking down the sidewalk, unsure of where she was going she wanted to clear her mind and take a breather from Donghae. She strolls down the sidewalk, zipping up her jacket up to her neck; the weather has been growing colder each day.

 “I just want you to go away Donghae…” Tiffany murmurs to herself, “I hate you.”

Her eyes grow watery, “Tae…I’m sorry. You’ve been there for me every time I fall down. Yoona’s right.” She sniffles, wiping her tears away, “You have every right to hate me,” She chuckles bitterly, “I wouldn’t blame you if you never wanted to talk to me again.”

Her heart starts to ache just thinking about it. Tiffany lets more tears fall, she was wondering if she was ever going to run out of tears. She doesn’t bother to wipe them off; she knew the tears wouldn’t stop so it would be pointless.

Tiffany looks up, her feet automatically stopping in their tracks. Tiffany keeps her eyes glued on the couple in front of her, her body glued to the ground. She felt her body go numb, seeing how tight Taeng was holding Jessica in his arms. Her heart aches, hurting more than usual, the burning feeling she always feels when she sees them returns to her body.

More tears stream down her face, seeing the smile on Taeng’s face. She missed seeing his smile, especially the smile that was only meant for her. The tears were making her vision blurry but she quickly wipes them from her face, seeing Taeng lean in towards Jessica.

 Her heart nearly stops beating, the world freezes, Tiffany felt as if she was going to pass out. She quickly turns around and runs, distancing herself from the couple. She felt hurt yet she didn’t understand why.

Tiffany continues running down the street, not turning back to check if the couple was gone from her sight.

 The vision of Taeng kissing Jessica not too long ago flashes in her mind, more tears stream down her cheek.

What she didn’t know was that was going to be the last kiss the two will ever share.